11. Sneak Attack

“Mr. Creed please come to my office immediately.”

Victor Creed stepped off the elevator and walked towards the Xavier’s office. He had been lounging in his office when Xavier’s call had come in. Victor didn’t like the tone Xavier had used. He sounded almost pissed.

Reaching the office door, he took a deep breath and knocked on the door.
“Come in Mr. Creed.”
‘Hmm….Mr.Creed, usually the cripple calls me Victor’ he thought. ‘Sounds like trouble.’

Entering he found Scott, Jean and Ororo sitting next to Xavier while Logan was standing in the corner. He walked in a stood in front of the huge mahogany table.
“Yes sir.”
“Mr. Creed. I have received some disturbing news about your past and am sorry to say that in light of these developments I cannot allow you to continue working here at the institute.”
Victor gave Logan a dirty look. ‘Must be the runt’s work’
“What kind of proof Mr. Xavier? I am sure I can explain myself.”
“The first is a police report from Osaka, Japan about an attempted rape of underage girl.”
“She said she was nineteen” answered Creed.
“It says here she was eleven” retorted Xavier evenly, and continued “Your military record states that you were given a dishonorable discharge in light of the girl’s and her family’s testimonies.”
Victor didn’t answer but glowered at Logan.
“There is a similar report from Windsor, Canada. In that case it was a fourteen year old girl. It says here that although there was no sexual contact, she was physically abused and had a broken nose, two broken ribs and several lacerations, which required over sixty stitches.”
“I was acquitted in that case and anyway none of those cases were in the USA” said creed getting angry.

“Yes, it’s true you were acquitted, but only because the victim was too frightened to testify. And it doesn’t matter if it was in another country, I have to think about the safety if the children and hence must ask you again to leave. You have till six in the evening to move out from your office and room before I report you to the police.”
Victor Creed’s face was red with anger. “You are making a big mistake, you don’t want me as an enemy” he said through clenched teeth.
“Are you trying to intimidate me Mr. Creed? If it would please you I can call the police right now.”
Creed didn’t answer but simply turned around and walked away. Reaching the door he turned around and said, “I’ll get you, each and everyone of you. You don’t know who I am.”
As he turned, he heard Logan, “We know you Sabertooth and also your contact with Erik Lehnsheer. If you think he is going to help you now, you are in for a big surprise.”

Creed scowled at Logan and stepped out, slamming the door behind him.
“Professor, do you want me to call the police?”
“No Scott. I don’t think we will need to exercise that option.”
“But what about the children? What if Creed comes back at a later day?” continued Scott.
“Logan is working on the new security system. He has assured me that the external systems should be ready within the next ten days. That will help to keep any intruders out.”
“Please ask the children to assemble in the common area an hour before dinner” said Xavier, ending the meeting.

With that the meeting ended, the three teachers left, leaving Logan and Xavier in the room.

Ororo tried to find Logan at lunch time, but found that he had left once again. Dejected she went to her room.

It was 6 PM when all the students and teachers collected in the common area. Five minutes later Xavier rolled in through the door, his wife accompanying him.

“Thank you everybody for joining us. I have a couple of announcements for the students as well as the teachers.”
Satisfied that he had everyone’s attention, he continued “All students are to avoid staying outdoors after 8 PM unless accompanied by an adult.” This raised groans from the children.
Xavier smiled a small smile. “This arrangement is temporary and is only for the next couple of weeks, until we get the new perimeter security online.” This news calmed the children. Two weeks didn’t sound so bad.

“The second announcement I have is regarding physical education and sports. Mr. Creed is no longer with the institute. He left today afternoon.”
Xavier was silent for a few moments before he spoke again, “All sports activities are suspended till further notice. It will take us sometime to find a new teacher and none of the current faculty has the necessary training or experience to act as a substitute teacher.”

Just then Jubilee lifted her hand. “Yes Jubilee, do you have a question?” asked Xavier.
“No Professor, just a suggestion.”
“Please continue.”
“Logan can be our Phy. Ed. teacher.” Logan glowered at Jubilee, but she just winked at him.
Suddenly a small voice rang out from among the students, “Yes Sir, he helped me to learn basketball.”
Everyone moved to allow a small statured boy to come to the front. It was James Mardox *Jamie*.
“James, can you please explain yourself?”
Jamie looked at Logan for his assent. Logan just nodded his head in approval. Jamie smiled and turned to the Professor. “Mr. Logan taught me how to play basketball. No one used to play with me, saying that I am a ‘shorty’ and shorties don’t play basketball. Mr. Creed said the same thing. He said maybe I should try to play chess or some other indoor sport as I didn’t have the body and stamina. One day I was feeling very bad and sitting and talking to myself when Mr. Logan came around. He asked me why I was sitting alone and not playing with the other kids. I told him what the other kids and Mr. Creed had said. He was quiet for some time then told me that he would teach me if I wanted to learn, but I would have to do certain things he told me to do. I was so happy that I would get to play basketball that I immediately agreed. I was sore for the first week but soon I was able to play basketball as good as the other kids, even if I am a ‘shorty’.”

Once Jamie finished speaking the Professor looked at Logan, while Remy spoke for the first time. “What did he ask ya to do little homme?”

Jamie spoke without hesitation, “Oh, he made me run a lot. Three miles a day first week and one more mile more each week after that. Twenty minutes skipping and thirty minutes weight training. He said that the running and skipping will help me build stamina and stretch my muscles and the weight training will help me build muscle tone.”

Everyone had silently listened to Jamie recount his story. Once he was finished Charles turned to Logan. “Logan why didn’t you tell us what you were doing with James?”
“Look Chuck, I saw him sitting alone, crying and talking to himself. He wanted to play but none of these other punks played with him. They said he didn’t know how to play, he couldn’t play. So I taught him to play and play it better than they did. And as for telling you guys I didn’t want the kid to get into trouble with Creed.”

“Don’t you think your attitude inspired competition and animosity between him and his friends?” Xavier asked.
“Na. First of all what sorta friends are they, if they turn him away just ‘cause he’s weaker and can’t play as well as them. And, as fer’ competition, you guys are preparing these kids for the real world. They shoulda learn to face the and overcome the competition, otherwise, they’ll be left standing empty handed.”

Everyone stood in stunned silence at Logan’s explanation, including the four people who had been witness to his anger a few days ago.
“I agree with you. Although your methods maybe unconventional they did get the desired results. So how would you like to take over Mr. Creed’s responsibilities?”
Logan hesitated, “I don’t know Charles. I am not very good with people and these are just kids.”

Many of the children started requesting Logan to take the job.
Charles smiled, “It looks like the children agree with me. And we all have seen how you are with Jubilee and now with James. I am sure it will be the same with the other children.”
“Yes Logan. In fact we should thank you for helping Jamie” said Liliandra. “He used to be a very shy child but look at him now. He can stand in front of a group of people and speak confidently. You helped him to come out of his shell.”

“Ok Chuck, I’ll do it. But I’d like them to spend some time with me on the weekends. During the week I have my other work too.” Remembering the times he used to spend with Ororo walking exploring the forest, he continued “It’s not like I have anything else to do on those days.”

“I am sure we can make some arrangements to accommodate that request.” Turning towards the children he spoke, “That takes care of that problem. Now please return to your rooms and get ready for dinner.”

With that everyone left for his/her rooms. Ororo moved towards Logan, who turned around and walked towards the other door. She followed him outside to the garage.
“Logan” she said softly.
“What is it Ms. Monroe” he answered curtly.
“I’d like to talk to you.”
“What about” came the tight reply, as he fired up his bike.
“Us”
“There ain’t any ‘us’ Ms. Monroe……not anymore. Ya made that clear ta me” he said as he drove away, leaving a dejected Ororo.

Ororo watched him till she couldn’t see his bike anymore. Turning around she walked to the mansion door. Reaching there she saw that Jean was waiting for her. She tried to walk away but Jean blocked her way with her arm.
“Move” said Ororo, not looking at her.
“Ororo please, just give one chance.”
“Move”
“Ororo, please…. I am sorry for what I did. I didn’t mean for this to happen. I didn’t want to come between you and Logan.’ Jean pleaded.
Ororo looked at Jean with fire in eyes, “You think you are so high and mighty, don’t you Mrs. Summers. You think the world revolves around you. Well for your information, what happened between Logan and me had to nothing to do with you and everything to do with me and my insecurities and misgivings. Now if you don’t want to lose your arm, I suggest you move out of my way, NOW.”
Jean let her arm drop and Ororo walked inside and proceeded to walk upstairs to her room.

Logan didn’t return to the mansion the whole weekend and Ororo didn’t leave her room, not even to water her garden.

The next week passed uneventfully. The students quickly settled down with their new Physical Education teacher. They soon discovered that as long as they followed his directions properly in their exercise routines, he let them free to enjoy themselves for the rest of the time.

At the same time everyone had noticed the change in their senior teachers. All of them had become silent. Where once they used to talk to the children about their personal lives, now they conducted the classes quietly. The children also noticed that best friends Ms. Monroe and Mrs. Summers seemed to avoid each other.

One night Logan was enjoying her after dinner cigar when he heard approaching footsteps followed by a voice.
“Are you free?”
“For what?’ answered Logan.
“Can I have some of your time? I would like to talk to you about some personal.”
“Yers or mine?”
“Yours….and Ororo’s”
Turning to face the large man, Logan grunted “It’s none of yer business.”
“It is my business when two of my friends are troubled and sad.”
“I didn’t know we were friends and fer yer information, I ain’t troubled and definitely not sad. If she is then maybe you should be helping her.”
“I have seen the pain in your eyes too.”

Logan growled, “Don’t try to play mind tricks with me. Or are you a shrink too now?”
Henry McCoy chuckled, “Not as far as I know, although a very good friend of mine is a psychiatrist.” He then got serious, “If you don’t want to talk to me about yourself, do let me something about what happened in the past. I won’t take much of your time.”
Logan was about to walk away, but something in Henry’s tone told him that he was telling the truth.
“OK. But if at any time I don’t like what I am listening or if you ask anything about my personal life, I walk away. OK”
“Agreed”
Both of them walked to the bottom of the front stairs and sat down. Hank told Logan about Ororo's past, how she had lost her parents at a young age and had taken to thievery. Charles had found her when he was in Africa for an archeological dig. He brought her back to America, just as Logan had brought Jubilee from Japan. Charles and Liliandra had raised her as their own child. Hank then started telling Logan about Forge and by the time he ended Logan was seething with anger. After a few minutes of silence, Hank told Logan about how devastated Ororo had been by Forge’s actions and how distant she had become after that. She had avoided dating or meeting people outside of her small circle of friends.

With that he finished and got up to leave. He placed on hand on Logan’s shoulder and spoke softly. “I told you all of this because, over the past few weeks Ororo has grown closer to you and things were like they had been before Forge. She had started laughing and smiling a lot more. However, something happened that caused you to run away and Ororo to retreat into her room. I know Ororo and I can see that she cares for you deeply. And I think you have the same feelings for her. I hope both of you can act on those feelings before it’s too late.”
With that Hank started to walk up the stairs. He was almost reached the top when Logan called out, “Hank.”
“Yes Logan.”
“Thanks….fer telling me.”
“You are welcome” Henry continued walking, leaving Logan to think about what he had just been told by the doctor.

Logan stood up “I need to think” he said to himself walking towards his bike. Soon he was on his way to Harry’s.

The next day, Logan searched out Jubilee. He found her talking with her roommate and a couple of other students, boys. Seeing him waiting, she excused herself and joined him.
“Hey Jubes…How’s it going? How are ya?” he said to her.
“Like you care….You haven’t come to me or called me even once in the past two weeks. I had thought that moving here would be great, we would be together. But you just seemed to disappear. Now it would be better if I had stayed in LA.”
“Don’t say that. I care for ya. Ya know how important ya” he said, drawing her closer.
“Wolvie….” she muttered hugging him.
“Hmm”
“What about Ms. Monroe?”
At Ororo's name Logan tensed and pushed Jubilee away so he could look at her face. “What about her?”
“Do you care about her too?” she asked innocently.
“It’s none of yer business.” He answered curtly.

Jubilee pushed him away, “Of course it is my business. You are the closest thing I have to family. And she has become a very good friend apart from being my teacher.”
Logan remained silent.
“Answer me” Jubilee demanded.
“Well even if I do, it’s plenty clear that she don’t want anything to do with me.”
“Who told you that?” questioned Jubilee.
“She did.”
“When?”
“When I went to her room to ask her out for dinner. She told me we should see each other only on a professional level.”
“Did you ask her the reason why did said that?”
“No” said Logan softly.
“God….You are exactly the same. Both of you are screwed up. She saw something and made something else of it and you heard something and lost your mind.”
“What do ya mean?”
“Logan, Ms. Monroe, saw the way you acted with Sage.”
“So. I have always been like with Sage.”
“But she doesn’t know that. She thought that Sage was your girl friend.”
“But why would she think that?”
“Let me see….knowing you guys, you two must have hugged and kissed each other.”
”Yeah…so”
“You really are a dumbass….she likes you. She was going to ask you about it, but once she saw Sage, she stopped herself.”

Suddenly Logan remembered that Ororo was going to ask her something just before Jubilee had interrupted them. And how she had hurried away after meeting Sage. Even Sage had pointed that out to him. He felt like hitting himself.

Seeing his facial expression Jubilee knew that had remembered the events of that day.
“Remembered it huh.”
Logan merely nodded his head and asked quietly, “How is she?”
“Alone....an' lonely” is all Jubilee said.

Logan sat down on the stairs deep in thought. Jubilee placed a hand on his shoulder.
“What will you do now?” questioned Jubilee.
“Talk to her.”
Jubilee smiled “Now?”
“No, in the evening. I have something I want to take care of before I can face her.”
“Ok. I’ll tell her.”
Logan was silent for a few moments. Standing up he ruffled Jubilee’s hair. “Ok”

With that Logan walked away. Jubilee stood there watching him walk away, the bell reminded her that she still has two classes left before she would be free. She ran to her class. Evening couldn’t come fast enough for her.

By the time she finished with her classes and reached Ororo’s door it was quarter to six. Answering her knock Ororo opened to let her in.

Once she settled down Ororo asked “How was your day child.”
“Oh you know lots of classes, homework. Kitty and me, we have a lot of backup gossip left.”
Ororo smiled at the Jubilee’s comments. But her next words stunned her.
“Met Logan, he was asking about you. Said he missed you, wanted to meet you and talk to you.”
“Jubilee….what did you just say?”
“Oh….lots o’ classes…” Ororo interrupted her, “No after that…what did you say about Logan?”
“Oh that, Logan came around today. First I scolded him for missing for two weeks. He said he was sorry. Then he asked about you, that if you are OK. I told him to meet you and see for himself.”
“And, what did he say?” asked Ororo hesitantly.
“He said he’ll meet you in the evening and that he had something to do before he can face you.”
“Do what?”
“Dunno. I did the right thing didn’t I?” asked Jubilee smiling mischievously.
Ororo reached forward and hugged Jubilee, tears in her eyes “Yes, you did the right thing?”

Drawing back, Jubilee wiped her own tears. “See now you made me cry too. Now come on, I am hungry. I missed lunch talking to Logan.”

Ororo freshened up and accompanied Jubilee downstairs for dinner.

Later,

It was 9:30 and Logan still hadn't come. Ororo was getting restless. Jubilee was waiting with her.
“Maybe he got held up in traffic. He’ll be her any minute.” said Jubilee trying to lift Ororo's spirits.
“Yes.” Ororo was beginning to lose hope. What if Logan had changed his mind?

Suddenly they heard the deep thumping of a motorcycle enter the mansion grounds. Ororo jumped up practically running to the door. She stopped and turned to face Jubilee.
“Come, let’s go?”
“Na, you go, get him. I’ll wait here.”
Ororo smiled and walked out towards the garage.

She reached the garage. It was completely dark. “Logan” she called out softly. She felt a heavy hand on her arm.
“You are late. I thought you weren’t going to come” she said turning around.
“How couldn’t I come.” came the deep voice. Ororo stopped short and pulled away. She was pulled and thrust to the wall. Rough hands began to move all over her body. She could smell alcohol.
She pushed and tried to move away. She was caught by her hair and swung around to face her attacker, who then slapped her hard across the face, drawing blood from her mouth.
“You ain’t getting away tonight…..bitch.”

Jubilee had been waiting for Logan and Ororo to return. When they didn’t come back for ten minutes, she decided to spy on them. ‘Must be having some hot n’ heavy welcome. I’ll catch them in the act.’ With that thought in her mind she moved towards the garage. What she saw was nowhere near what she had expected. Ororo was lying on the ground bleeding profusely and trying to crawl away. Just next to her unbuckling his jeans was….Victor Creed.

Jubilee picked up a screw driver she yelled, “Hey son o’ a bitch. Get away from her.”
“Or what, ye will tighten my screws.” He said mocking her.
Ororo managed to croak out “Jube…..go…run….”
Creed kicked her hard, causing her to groan and clutch her stomach.
Jubilee cried out, “Leave her alone.”
“Ye know what, why dontcha’ ya wait. Once I am done with her I’ll get to ye. I know ye will be a screamer. I’ll make ya scream my name.”
“In your dreams asshole.” She shouted bravely. She wanted to run to the mansion and get someone, but she couldn’t leave Ororo alone in this state. ‘Logan, where are you.’
Lost in her thoughts she didn’t notice Victor Creed slowly come towards her. By the time she realized it was too late.





You must login () to review.