12. Primal Instincts

‘Lost in her thoughts she didn’t notice Victor Creed slowly come towards her. By the time she realized it was too late.’

Victor yanked the screw driver out of Jubilee’s hand and slapped her back handedly across the face. Jubilee felt the coppery taste of blood in her mouth and tried to push and kick Creed away. He caught both of her hands in one large and tied her to the support beam.

He then bent down close towards her face, “Ain’t ya the spunky one. I think I’ll fuck ya first an’ then the black bitch. She ain’t goin’ anywhere” he growled.
Through her tears she could see lying on her side clutching her stomach. As she looked on Creed stepped back and kicked her again. Ororo yelped in pain.
“Leave her alone” cried Jubilee.
Victor stepped close to her again, “an’ what? Take you. Are ya getting’ hot seein’ me work her like this. Maybe I should give her a couple more kicks.”
“No….please, leaver her alone” begged Jubilee.
Creed caught her hair and pulled her head back. He lowered his head and licked the blood trickling from her wound.
“Hmmm….Fresh n’ sweet. No wonder the runt guards ya’ like a watch dog. Well where is yer watchdog tonight.”
“Right behind ya” came the growl from behind him.

Earlier,
Logan was feeling great. After his talk with jubilee he had decided to get a gift for Ororo. At first he had thought he would get her flowers, but that was too….normal. ‘’Ro likes living things.’

With that thought, he located went to a Japanese Bonsai shop. Out of the many choices available he had finally come down to two. ‘I’ll take one for Jubes.’ He thought. But then dropped the idea. Knowing Jubilee, the plant would die faster than you could say ‘Jubiliation Lee Mallrat.’

Finally he decided to get both for Ororo. Parking his bike in a 24 hour parking he took a cab to the institute.

He was walking carefully, one bonsai in each hand. He was thankful that it was late at night and only a few people were awake. Suddenly he heard muffled sounds coming from the garage. It sounded it someone was fighting. Setting the bonsai behind the hedge he crept slowly towards the source of the sound. What he saw caused his blood to boil. Ororo lay on the ground, bleeding and clutching her stomach and sides. Just beside her stood ‘Sabertooth’ with his hand pulling Jubilee’s hair.

He got up and walked silently to where Victor Creed stood torturing Jubilee.


Victor Creed turned around to face the shorter man.
“Well Well….look who’s here. The runt…..the mighty Wolverine. Well as ya can see ‘Wolverine’ I got yer runt and yer cunt. What are ye going ta do?”
Logan was seething with anger. “I am goin’ to do only thing. I am going to kill ya.”
With a cry Creed lunged at Logan. Logan’s nimbleness and the fact that Victor was intoxicated worked against him. Logan easily side stepped him and kicked him into the tool rack momentarily incapacitating him.
Taking advantage if the moment Logan freed Jubilee, “Run Jubilee” he shouted.
“I am not leaving you and Ororo alone” cried out Jubilee.
Logan could see Victor getting up. He turned to Jubilee, “Run, get Hank. Ororo is hurt….bad…..tell Scott to call the cops. GO NOW.” with that he pushed Jubilee towards the house.
Jubilee took one look at Ororo and started running towards the mansion.

Reaching inside she started running towards the teachers’ wing. As she reached their rooms she started yelling, “HELP HELP”. Reaching Henry’s room she banged loudly on it and then moved towards Scott and Jean’s rooms. By the time she reached to their room all the teachers had come out of their rooms.
“What is it Jubilee?” asked Scott groggily.
Henry took one look at Jubilee and gasped, “What happened Jubilation? Did you fall down the stairs?”
Shaking her head she continued, “Logan in garage……Ororo…..doctor….police.”
Seeing that she was starting to panic, Henry held and asked calmly.
“Jubilee take deep breaths. Calm down. Deep breaths.”
Jubilee took a couple of deep breaths to steady herself. She then started pulling Henry towards the front door. “Creed attacked us. Ororo is hurt bad, real bad. She needs a doctor now. Logan said Scott should call the police. Come……NOW” she was yelling again now.
“Let me get my emergency kit atleast.” Henry stepped in his room and returned almost immediately with small bag in his hand.
“Jean call the police. Tell them there has been another attack at Xavier’s.” said Scott running towards Henry.

As they reached the garage, they were shocked by what they saw. Logan was standing over Creed, who was trying to stand up. Every time he tried Logan kicked him hard. His hands and clothes were red with blood. With every kick and punch he was yelling, “You hurt them.” “You hit Jubilee. Nobody hits Jubilee.”

As they stepped inside the garage, they saw Logan grab Creed’s right arm “Ya laid yer filthy hands on Ororo. Did ya lay this hand on her.” He started kicking hard on his hand with this heel, each kick punctuated by a word, “YA. DON’T. LAY. A. HAND. ON. ORORO.”

Scott moved towards Logan as Henry checked on Ororo. Except for a split lip, most of her external injuries consisted of scratches and nicks. But the way she was holding her hands over her stomach, made Hank realize that Creed must have kicked her and caused internal injuries. ‘This is bad’ he thought. Standing up he moved to the school ambulance to get a stretcher.

Meanwhile Scott was trying to stop Logan, but had been pushed away twice. Frustrated he turned to Jubilee who was sitting calmly on a bench. “Jubilee we have to stop him.” He called out to her.
“Why?” she asked looking up at him.
“WHY….because he is going to kill Victor, that’s why. Help me to stop him.”
Logan had broken Victor’s arm in four places and moved to the left arm, all the time shouting “Ya don’t touch Ororo.” or “Ya hurt Ororo. How dare ya?”

Scott was getting desperate. He turned to Jubilee once again. “Jubilee….please.”
Jubilee looked at Scott and sighed, “We can’t stop him in his current state.”
Scott was about to argue, but Henry interrupted him. “Scott help me get Ororo onto the stretcher.”
Scott moved to help Henry. As they lifted her onto the stretcher she cried out in pain, “LOGaaannn…..” and passed out.

Right in front of Scott’s eyes Logan stopped mid-kick on hearing Ororo’s cry. He immediately let go of Creed and moved to Ororo's side, his rage completely drained. As Scott looked on, Logan started whispering and whimpering to Ororo and cleaning her face with his sleeve, all the while caressing her hair.

“Logan we need to get Ororo to the infirmary” said Henry. Both of them started moving towards the infirmary leaving a very stunned Scott Summers and a tired Jubilee. They saw Remy walking towards them.
“Jubilee, what did just happen? One second he was this raging animal and the next he was…..” “Caring, loving, almost like a child” offered Jubilee.
“Yes” said Scott, not able to be think of any words.
“Mr. Summers, Logan is very emotional….no that is wrong….he has very strong emotions.”
“What do you mean?”
By that time Remy had reached the garage. He let out a small whistle at Creed’s unconscious form.
“Who did ‘dat”
“Logan” answered Jubilee dryly.
“Remind me never to anger him in the future” he said lightly.

“Jubilee, what did you mean by what you just said about Logan?”
Jubilee sighed “From all I have seen of Logan I can say that he would have been a very loving and shy boy. But life has dumped on him so many times that he had become increasingly hard and bitter. That and his time in that ‘secret force’ thing has infused him with a sort of team or pack attitude.”
“What does that have to do with what just happened? He just flipped over.”
“I am getting to that” said Jubilee. ”Logan is a very private person. He opens up to very few people. I can count them on one hand….and those too using individual fingers. The people he opens up to he bonds with them. Not like you and me. His bonding is almost primal. You know like a pack. The people he bonds with, he will kill for them and just as easily die for them.”
“And Ororo…..” he let his words hang in the air.
“It seems he has bonded with her deeply. Deeper than all the others.”
“But that still doesn’t explain what just happened.”
“Victor attacked us. In a primal sense he attacked Logan’s pack. He went into a rage and acted purely on that primal instinct. When Ororo called out for him, he reacted with the same instinct.”
“Oh” said Scott. “But couldn’t you have done the same thing?”
“I am not too sure. His mind was stuck on Ms. Monroe. He likes her a lot.”
“Yes” said Scott tightly. He still hadn't got over the Jean-Logan thing and was very uneasy about Ororo being involved with the man. Now even more so.

Jubilee noticed his reluctance, but kept quiet.
“Logan knows about his emotions. That is why he meditates and performs performance Tai Chi. He says that it help soothe the savage beast. In his line of work he can’t afford to become emotional. He is supposed to be the best. He never gave into his emotions. Never let them come between him and his work…..well almost never” She said smiling softly.
”Almost never” said Scott, raising his eyebrows. Jubilee had got up to walk to the mansion.
She smiled again and spoke, “He had once told me that he got emotionally involved only in once case.”
“Which?” inquired Remy.
Jubilee started to walk away and said a single word “Mine.”
Both the teachers had heard the story of Jubilee and Logan.

Watching the retreating figure, Remy said, “Dat one smart lady ‘no.”
“Yes” answered Scott.
“Logan raised n’ trained her well.”
Scott was thankful for the police sirens. He didn’t want to answer Remy’s last comment. He knew what Remy said was the right but admitting that would be admitting that Logan was right. And that was something he wasn’t ready to do yet.

At the same time: In the infirmary,
“Henry do something?”

TBC……





You must login () to review.