13. Recovery

“Henry do something?”

Logan was getting agitated at the sight of a bloody and unconscious Ororo. Her were fluctuating and her pulse was weak.
“Logan, please remain calm,” offered Jean, gaining a snarl from him.
“Don’t give me that remain calm bullshit. I can see her stats and they ain’t good. I am not the dumb idiot I used to be” sneered Logan causing Jean to shrink away in fear and shame.
“Logan I would like you to step out and let us do our work” said Henry.
“I ain’t going nowhere” retorted Logan, with that he pulled up a chair and sat down next to Ororo’s bed.
“If you want us to treat her *properly*, then you will leave…NOW.” Henry ended the sentence forcefully. He knew that using Ororo as an excuse, he could get the restless man to leave and that is what he got.

Logan got up, took one last look at Ororo and sulked out of the room. As soon as he was out of the room, Henry turned to Jean. “Jean I want you to prepare the operating room. We need to operate immediately.”
“Operate…”
“Yes. Ororo’s has massive internal injuries.”

An hour later,

“When do you think they will finish?” asked Jubilee.

After leaving Scott and Remy to handle the police, she had hurried to the infirmary to find Logan pacing in front of the door. Marie had treated the minor injuries she received while facing Creed. Scott, Marie and Remy had joined them and the five of them were waiting outside. Logan sat on the ground, in front of the infirmary door, waiting for anyone to come out. Jubilee was sitting next to him with her head on his shoulders.
“Logan” tried Jubilee again.
“Huh….what…did you say somethin’ Jubes” asked Logan.
“No nothing” she replied, laying her head back on his shoulder. Soon she had moved her head to his lap. Logan was sitting motionless, except for his hand, which he was subconsciously moving through Jubilee’s head.

“Jubilee, I think you should go to bed now. You must be tired and you have a school day tomorrow,” commented Scott, noticing the almost asleep teenager.
Jubilee raised her head “Thank you Mr. Summers, but I am not leaving Logan.”
“But…” started Scott.
“She said SHE. AIN’T. LEAVIN” gritted out Logan, pushing her head back to his lap. Jubilee ‘s being there was helping him remain in control and not blow the doors down. Scott grimaced at him, ‘This is no way to treat a teenager, a girl for that matter’ he thought. He was about to say something when Marie cut him off.
“Logan maybe Jubilee can lie down on tha bench. Ah’ll get a pillow an’ blanket foh her.”
Logan merely nodded his head, gathered Jubilee in his arms and lifted her up. She in turn nuzzled into his chest and resumed sleeping.
Once Marie prepared the bench as a make shift bed, he lay her down on it and sat down on the ground next to her.

Almost three hours later, a tired looking Henry stepped out of the operating room and was instantly mobbed.
“How is she?” asked Marie.
“How did the operation go?” questioned Scott.
Henry held up a hand to silence them. Once every quieted down, he spoke evenly. “The operation was successful. I have managed to close all wounds and stop the bleeding. I have sedated her to allow her body time to heal. The injuries were severe and she will need time to recover – both physically and mentally.”
In their discussion with Henry, no one noticed Logan slipping past them.

Jean had just finished getting Ororo settled in for the night, when she was startled by someone standing next to Ororo.
“Logan, what are you doing here? No one is allowed here?” whispered Jean.
Logan disregarded her and bent down next to Ororo. She was covered in bandages and had a drip attached to her arm. He gently caressed her platinum hair, which had red blotches in them. ‘Her blood’ he thought angrily.
Jean tried again. “Logan please, she needs to rest. It will help her to recover sooner. You can come tomorrow morning.”
Logan nodded his head and after one last look at Ororo, he silently walked away.

Henry and the others saw him coming out of the room, noting his lowered head and dejected demeanor, decided to stay silent. Logan walked up to Jubilee, lifted her up and walked away towards her room. Entering her room he tucked her in returned to his post outside the infirmary.

Next morning,

Scott and Jean stepped into the infirmary to find Logan sitting next to Ororo.
“How long has he been there?” asked Scott, pointing to the man on the other side of the glass wall.
“Never left” replied a tired Henry. “I was up the entire night and stepped out to for a minute and there he was, sitting on the ground staring at me. I decided to let him in, but only if he cleaned himself up. He immediately took off and was back here within fifteen minutes. He has been there ever since.”
Scott just nodded her head and looked over to Logan, who was staring at Ororo, waiting for her to get up.
“Henry did you tell that she won’t wake up for at least another twelve hours” asked Jean.
“Yes” replied Henry.
“And….”
“He just went and sat down next to her.”

It had been nearly twenty-four hours since Ororo’s operation. The students had heard about her and Jubilee’s run in with Victor Creed. They however didn’t know about the extent of her injuries. Logan had been keeping a bedside vigil, waiting for her to open her eyes.

Logan was dozing off when he ‘thought’ he heard a groan from the bed. Immediately he was up and attentive, and sure enough, there was another one. Ororo was waking up.

Ororo fluttered and opened her eyes, but immediately closed them when the light hit her. When someone dimmed the light, she opened them again to find Logan’s worried face over her.
“Hey” she croaked, feeling the constriction in her throat.
“Hey” answered Logan back with a smile, running a shaky hand through her hair and along her face. “Sorry” he said, his smile falling away.
“For?”
“I was late….if I was in time…none o’ this woulda happened…”
Ororo tried raising her hand to clasp his, but was unable to do so. Logan moved his own and held her. She gave it a gentle squeeze.
“But you did come…..” she smiled again.
“Yes” “and now I ain’t leaving”
“Good, because I need to sleep….tired….stay….” with that she nodded off.
Logan breathed a sigh a relief, pulled the stretcher next to her bed and lay on top of it. He too fell asleep, her hand still grasped in his.

Next morning, Charles Xavier’s office

Scott Summers was discussing the recent events with Xavier.
“Professor I don’t think it’s a good idea to allow Logan to continue as a teacher.”
Xavier looked up from the police report he had managed to get his hands on “Why is that Scott?”
“He is just as bad as Creed, if not worse.” “You should have seen him the other night….he was like an animal.” “And I also think we should try and take legal custody of Jubilee.”
“Scott, Logan has done nothing to endanger the students. The events of the other night, not withstanding. In fact we should thank him for saving, Ororo and Jubilee” Charles stated evenly. “From the student feedback it seems they are very happy with him.”
“But….” “Ok, I still think he shouldn’t be in charge of a young teenage girl. You should have seen her too. She wasn’t affected at all by the violence in front of us. In fact she seemed happy about it.”
Xavier was getting impatient with Scott’s continuous complaints against Logan. “Scott, how would you feel if Victor Creed had attacked Jean instead of Jubilee or Ororo.”
“That is an entirely different matter…Jean is my wife” tried Scott. He knew he was fighting a losing battle.
“No Scott, it is the same thing….it is not a matter of ‘tangible or legal’ relationships” “Jean is dear to you just as Jubilee is to Logan…” “and now it seems Ororo is too” he ended.

“Doesn’t that trouble you….Ororo is like a daughter to you” started Scott again.
“Yes, she is…but what she does in her private life is a decision she had to make for herself. I can’t make it for her…” and then he stressed “and neither can you.”
“Professor, Ororo is like a sister to me. I just don’t want her to get hurt…like with….” he paused “like with Forge.”
Xavier shook his head “Logan is ‘not’ Forge.”
“You say as if it is a good thing?” questioned Scott.
Xavier had had enough “We are not going to discuss the personal life of any of the staff here. Goodbye Scott.” With that, he went back to studying his papers.
Scott decided to keep quiet for the moment. He had to think of another way to get his point across. Suddenly it struck him ‘What if…..yes….that would work just great’. He stepped out of the office. He had a call to make.

Over the next few days, Ororo recovered from her injuries. Logan was practically living in the infirmary, leaving just to change clothes. He used to work at night when Ororo was sleeping. He managed to get three weeks’ worth work done in ten days flat. By the time Ororo would be discharged, the perimeter fence and mansion main security would be online.
“When do I get away from here?” asked Ororo. “I don’t like closed spaces.”
“Soon darlin’. Hank just has a couple of test results he is waiting fer.”
“Good….Logan….” she began.
Logan sensed her nervousness and held her hand and smiled.
“I am sorry,” she said softly.
Logan was taken aback, “Sorry…fer what?” he asked raising a bushy eyebrow.
“For what I said to you….I shouldn’t have reacted that way. I didn’t know…”
“No need to be sorry,” he said squeezing her hand.
“No. I didn’t react the right way. It’s just that…..I…” She wanted to tell him about Forge, but couldn’t find the right words.
Logan silenced her with a finger to her lips. “Ya didn’t know about my relationship with Sage.....and my past with Jean. And I never thought that someone like you would be interested in a bum like me….” he ended with a chuckle.

Ororo decided to tell him about Forge. “Logan….I have a past too. There was a man…”
“Forge” stated Logan.
“Yes” she was startled. “How did you know?”
“Hank told me” “and you know…I pity him”
“Pity…why?”
“Fer leaving someone such as you” he answered softly, drawing closer to her.
Ororo moved her free hand to his chest as the drew closer for a kiss. Just then, they heard the infirmary door open causing them to pull back. It was Henry and judging by their expressions, he knew that he had interrupted an intimate moment.
“Good morning everyone. How is my favorite patient today?” he asked good-naturedly.
Ororo rolled her eyes “Henry I am your only patient, and I am bored out of my mind.”
“Good then you will be happy to know that you can move out of the infirmary and back into your room by tomorrow,” he said smiling.

The next day, Logan helped Ororo move back into her room. Over the next few days she gained her strength back and soon, she was taking a couple of classes.

Soon the yearly Xavier ball came up. Charles Xavier on behest of his wife had started a yearly ball in which all major ‘big shots’ of New York were invited. It was a great public relations event and helped in acquiring sponsorships for the school.
“Logan” asked Ororo. They were in her greenhouse.
“Hmmmm…..” murmured Logan.
“Have you got your tux ready?” asked Ororo looking up at Logan.
Logan arched an eyebrow “Tux? What fer?”
“For the ball this Saturday….or did you forget?”
“I am not going.”
“Why?” asked Ororo. She was looking forward to the ball and wanted Logan to be her date for the evening.
“The ball is for city-slickers. What am I gonna do there?”
“I will be there,” she answered, hoping he would get the hint.
“Yeah…but…”
Ororo decided to take things in her own hands. “No buts. I want you to go and get a tuxedo and be there Saturday evening…ON TIME.” “Understood”
Logan smiled and bowed down in mock respect “Whatever the goddess desires.”

The next day Logan caught hold of Jubilee just as she was finishing with her last class and took her to get a tuxedo for himself. Saturday evening he arrived at the mansion, waiting for Ororo to join him. He was feeling uneasy and nervous in the tuxedo. ‘Hope ‘Ro likes it.’

Ororo was equally nervous. It was her fourth bowl but the first time with Logan. She spent the whole day trying out different dresses and hairstyles. She wanted to look just perfect for him. She finally settled on a white shoulder-less gown with golden embroidery and with matching silver with gold inlay jewellery. ‘Hope Logan likes it.’ With that thought, she walked out of her room.

Logan’s mouth fell open as soon as he laid his eyes on the tall African beauty. She looked at him and smiled, while walking down the stairs. Reaching him, she closed his mouth slowly.
“I take you like the gown,” she asked chuckling.
Logan looked at her once more, taking in every small detail. “No” “I like the way it looks on you” he answered, causing Ororo to blush.
“Shall we?” he asked, offering his bent hand to her.
Ororo slid her right hand into it and placed her left on his arm. With that, they walked to the ballroom. As soon as they entered, every eye turned to, the tall dark colored white-haired beauty accompanied by the shorter rough looking man.

They made their way to Marie and Remy’s. They seemed to busy among themselves. When they saw the approaching couple, both of them got up.
“Ororo chere’…you look….min’blowing” complemented Remy, kissing her hand.
“Thanks Remy”
“Yah, Ororo ya look amazin’,” Marie looked at Logan. “Ya too Logan. Ya clean up good.”
Logan merely nodded his head and pulled up a chair for Ororo and another one for himself.

Soon the music started playing and some of the couples including Remy and Marie moved to the dance floor.
“Logan” started Ororo.
“Yes darlin’” replied Logan smiling at her.
“Dance with me.”
Logan’s smile faltered. “Here….In front of all these people.”
Ororo nodded her head. Logan looked around, took a deep breath, stood up and offered her a hand. “May I have this dance?”
“Yes” Ororo smiled brightly and took his hand confidently.

They walked to the dance floor and were about to start when,

“Ororo there you are” stated Scott, pulling her towards him.

“I want you to meet someone.”





You must login () to review.