14. Best Intentions

“I want you to meet someone.”

With that, Scott practically pulled Ororo from Logan’s arms, who after a moment’s hesitation let her arms slide out of his. ‘Can’t get all Neanderthal on her, she needs her space.’
Ororo looked back apologetically at Logan, “I’ll be back in a minute.”
Logan merely smiled at her and it was only once she was out of sight did he look down at his empty hands.

Scott dragged Ororo towards a tall, blond, smartly dressed man.
“Ororo I would like you to meet my good friend, Warren Worthington III, and Warren this is the lovely Ororo Monroe I told you about.”
Warren took in the dusky beauty standing in front of him. “My pleasure Ms. Monroe” he said, kissing her hand.
Ororo noticed that Warren was taller than her, with deep blue eyes, “Mr. Worthington” is all she said. She turned to Scott for an explanation.
“Warren is in town for a new business venture, so I asked him to come over. Now if you will excuse me I have to find my beautiful wife. Ororo I leave Warren in your capable hands” with that Scott walked away from the couple, with his fingers crossed.
Ororo wanted to get back to Logan, but was in a fix now. She decided to spend some time with Warren and introduce him around. ‘As fast as possible’ she thought.
“So Mr. Worthington, what sort of business are you in?”
“Please call me Warren” “and our main business is airlines…perhaps you have heard of it ‘Angel Air’.
“That is yours!!” exclaimed Ororo. Angel air was one the most rapidly developing executive-class airlines.
Warren smiled and nodded his head, “Actually it’s my dad’s. I just work for him.”
“So do you have plans for New York State too?”
“Yes” “We are moving into the east coast and plan to setup New York as this region’s headquarters. I was sent here to scout it out and from what I have seen so far I am sure we will be moving here soon,” he answered looking at Ororo and smiling.

Logan was waiting for Ororo to return, when he saw her with a tall man. The man had his hand behind her back and they were busy in conversation and smiling at each other. His heart came to his throat. ‘Take it easy, just someone from the school board or an old friend probably’ he thought. Just then, Ororo laughed at something Warren had said and laid a hand over his forearm.
They were too intimate for comfort. Logan couldn’t take it anymore, he needed to get away, he couldn’t see that man with his Ororo. ‘His’ he thought ‘Where did that come from?’ He still hadn’t told her about his feelings, hell he didn’t even give her the bonsai plants he got for her. He decided to get a drink to help him calm down and think about his next course of action once she got back to him.

Logan was on his third shot when someone familiar came and sat next to him. He decided to neglect it, but the person began.
“Ororo looks happy, doesn’t she?” questioned Scott.
“Yeah” muttered Logan before downing the glass, which he then set forth to the bartender.
“She seems to like Warren. What do you think?”
“Who?” asked Logan.
“Warren….that guy she’s with now, Warren Worthington III. They seem to be hitting it off. What do you think?” goaded Scott.
“Dunno” growled Logan, without turning back, hoping Scott take a hint. He wanted Scott to go away, but didn’t want to cause a ruckus.
“What do you mean you don’t know?” grinned Scott. “You are her friend. Don’t you think she deserves to be happy?”
Logan didn’t answer, just brought the glass to his mouth and emptied it again.
Scott glanced at Logan and then turned back to where Ororo and Warren were standing.
“I think Warren would be great for her. He is handsome, well-spoken, ivy-league graduate and has more money than God. He is everything Ororo deserves and needs, especially after her past experience….” Scott trailed off.
Logan was no longer listening to what Scott was saying. His mind had stopped working after ‘everything Ororo deserves.’

Meanwhile,

Ororo and Warren had finally sat down and were discussing about the school and the ball.
“Ororo, thanks to you, I am having a great time. When Scott invited me over I was afraid I was going to be bored out of my mind.”
Ororo smiled at him. “You are welcome.”
“I know a way to make this night even better.”
“What?” she asked with a raised eyebrow.
Warren stood up and offered her his hand, “May I have this dance?”
Ororo was stunned at his words. Those were the same words….
“Logan…” she whispered looking around.
“What?” asked Warren slightly confused.

“I am sorry Warren, but I’ll take leave for the night,” she said, standing up.
Warren was perplexed by the sudden change, “I am sorry if I offended you.”
“No No, it’s not that” Ororo exclaimed, trying to calm him. “I just remembered something important.”
“Can’t it wait till tomorrow” he tried one last time, hoping she would let whatever ‘IT’ was go.
“NO” blurted out Ororo, starting to walk away. “Goodnight Warren. I hope your new business venture is a success.”
Warren caught up with her. “Ororo, I just have one thing to say to you before you leave.”
Ororo stopped and looked up at him. “Yes?”
“I *really* enjoyed my time with you and would like to see you again.”
Ororo was slightly nervous. She didn’t like the way it the talk was going. “Of course you’ll see me.”
“I will?” he asked brightening up.
“Yes” “When you visit Scott, we can meet then.”
Warren shook his head, “I didn’t mean like that. I meant just the two of us.”
Ororo drew a step back. “I am sorry if I misled you, but that is not possible. I…I am…”
“Oh” whispered Warren, the reality dawning on him. “You are seeing someone.”
“Yes” Ororo answered lowering her eyes. ‘At least I think I am’ she thought, realizing that neither she nor Logan had expressed any *romantic* feelings towards each other. They were just like they had been before the accident, exactly same, except for that ‘almost’ kiss in the infirmary.

Warren smiled at Ororo, “Hey, don’t feel sorry for me. If nothing more we can be friends…right” he said, offered her a hand.
Ororo smiled at Warren and shook his hand. “Yes, we can definitely be friends.”
“Although I must say, whoever it is, is a lucky guy to have someone like you.”
Ororo’s eyes lit up and her smile widened. “No, it’s me who is the lucky one to have him.” “Now if you excuse me I really need to find him.”
“Sure” “Goodnight Ororo”
“Goodnight Warren” said Ororo, planting a soft kiss on his cheek, before walking away to look for Logan.

As soon as she left, Scott came up to Warren. “Hey there you are. I have been looking for you and Ororo for the last fifteen minutes. Where have you guys been hiding?”
Warren lightly slapped his friend on the back. “You are one to talk. Man you are whipped, can’t even leave your wife for a minute, eh.” “Scott ‘All-Man” Summers, has become a pussy-whipped-pansy.”
Scott let out a mock grunt at his friend’s comment, before breaking down in to laughter.
“Forget about me, how did it go with Ororo?”
Warren smiled softly, “She is beautiful, smart, educated, well-spoken and HOT as hell.”
“So when are you guys going out on a date?” queried Scott.
“We’re not. I wanted to, but she is seeing someone else. I don’t take another man’s woman. I am not that low…or that desperate.”

Scott winced at Warren’s last remark, but covered it up easily with a smile.
“That’s just what she says to get guys off her back. Keep trying I am sure she will come around” stated Scott trying to goad Warren again.
Warren shook his head. “I don’t think she is lying this time. I saw the way she smiled while talking about him….Hmmmm…what was his name….Ah yes…Logan.”
“Logan…ha ha” Scott let out a mock laugh. “He’s no one. Just another friend. Do as I say and keep trying.”
“I don’t know man” Warren started. “I was sure a minute ago, but now listening to you, I think I might try again.”
“That’s the Warren I know. Trust me everything will work out.” Scott pulled his arm. “Now come, lets get a drink and toast to your renewed efforts.”

Ororo had been searching for Logan for almost half an hour. She had searched the whole ballroom, had asked the bartender, Marie, Remy and Henry but without success.
Suddenly she found herself face to face with Jean. She tried to walk away, but Jean stopped her.
“Ororo….”
“What is it Jean” she answered curtly. “I thought I told you to stay away from me.”
“I know” “I also know who you are looking for.”
Ororo turned around to face Jean, her eyes bright with anger. However, there was a pain, a longing in them, which didn’t go unnoticed by the woman in front of her.
“I know you are searching for Logan,” Jean stated quietly.
“And what if I am, are you going pretend to be my best-friend and then ‘LIE’ to me again” Ororo spat out.
“Ororo try and understand I never wanted to hurt you. I…..” she was interrupted by Ororo’s raised hand.

“I don’t have time for this” with that, she turned around and started walking away. However, Jean’s next words stopped her in her tracks and turn around.
“I know where he is.”
“Where” Ororo practically pleaded.
“I saw him looking at you and Warren and then talking to Scott for sometime” “After which he got up and left.”
Ororo was silent for a moment, “Thank you” she muttered, before she took off. She first went to the garage, where she found Logan’s parked bike. That meant he was still on the institute grounds.

She now knew where she would find Logan, the cliff overlooking the sea. They frequently went there to talk about each other and gaze at the moon’s reflection shimmering in the undulating waves.

She took off her stilettos and started running across the mansion grounds, all the while praying that she hadn’t lost him once again.





You must login () to review.