17. Body Language

“That’s Logan”

Everyone turned to Warren at his sudden outburst. He had a small frown on his face but his eyes were twinkling.
“Do you know him?” asked Scott curiously, interested to know how someone like Logan came to know someone like Warren.
“Yes” “At least he looks like the same person, even if his behavior and body language is all different.”
“Wat do ya mean homme?” asked Remy, getting into the conversation.
“Do you read body language?” inquired Cecelia.
“When did you learn that?” was Scott’s question.

Warren continued to stare at the blast from the past and at the objection of his affection and his complete attention walking next to him. She looked completely lost in him, just as he was in her, neither of them paying no attention to the eavesdroppers.
“Warren” Scott said, shaking him out of his thoughts.
“Wha….huh” he said slowly moving towards the couple walking up the stairs.

Logan wasn’t paying attention to anything else except Ororo when a voice caused him to stiffen and snap his head towards the young man standing in front of him and the others behind him.
“You are getting soft in your old age.”
Ororo noticed the sudden change in Logan. When she saw Warren standing in front of them, her smile dropped.
Logan gripped her hand tighter drawing her closer and slightly behind him.

Warren smirked at the defensive reaction from Logan. It was clear from his actions that Ororo meant a great deal to him. He had seen Logan acting this way only once before and this time wasn’t like the last. He stepped down a couple of steps coming to the landing between the stairs.

Suddenly Jubilee ran past Warren practically jumping on Logan. “So you guys finally did it huh?” she asked pumping her right hand, causing Ororo to blush.
“It’s her isn’t it?” asked Warren finally realizing who the yellow bundle of energy was.

Logan freed his hand from Ororo, who didn’t want to let go. It had been a great day and she suddenly wished she hadn’t asked Logan to go back to the mansion to change her clothes and eat lunch.

Everyone watched as Logan made his way up the stairs. Scott moved away from the group and came and stood behind Warren as an act of support incase Logan decided to go feral and attack his friend, like he had seen him attack Victor Creed. However, he was shocked by what Logan said next.

“Ya finally got ya shit together,” he said, eying the smartly dressed man in front of him.
“Yup” answered Warren. “And you know what, good to see you did the same” he ended looking over at Ororo, Jubilee and then back at Logan.

Logan smirked at his comment, “Good to see ya Worthington.”
“You too Logan” “or should I say Wolvie” he joked getting a grunt from the shorter man.

Everyone had come to their side, stunned by the odd interaction taking place before them.
“You know him?” asked Scott incredulously, pointing a finger at Logan.
“Yes” answered Warren. “And he still is a sick bastard” he ended with a grin.
“And ya still have yer head stuck up yer golden ass” retorted Logan with a grin of his own.
“Hey you, no one talks to my Wolvie like that” interjected Jubilee jumping in to defend her friend and mentor.
“Yes Ju-Ju-bees” apologized Warren winking at Jubilee.
“YOU” exclaimed Jubilee, immediately recognizing the nickname.

“Will someone tell me what is going on here?” let out Scott.
“Yes Logan, do you know Warren?” asked Ororo, now more confused than nervous.
“Yes Ororo he knows me and I know him and I commend both of you on your choices. You two make a *very nice* couple” commented Warren, causing Ororo to smile blushingly.
“NO” interrupted Logan. “We make the perfect couple.”
“They are not a couple,” hissed Scott.
Warren didn’t pay attention to Scott and smiled at Logan’s claim. “Ah…..still blunt as ever aren’t you.”
“Yup”

“Okay these riddles have gone far enough, tell me now, how do you know Logan” bellowed Scott, yanking Warren’s hand. He didn’t notice the Marie and Jean standing behind him. They had seen the gathering on the stairs and had come out to see what was happening.
“Should I tell them?” asked Warren, smirking at Logan.
“Sure, I got nothin’ ta hide.”
“Ok” “I met Logan about four years back. We had hired him to test our security system.”
“And” asked Ororo, wanting to learn more about Logan’s past.
“Well, as I said we had hired him to *test* our security system….and long story short, we finally ended by ‘availing his services’ to redo our complete system.”
“Why?” asked Scott.
“Why?” repeated Scott, smirking. “We thought we had a state of the art system. And this man here infiltrated and disabled each and every sector in under five minutes.” “So we decided who better to design our new system than the man who broke it in the first place.”

Everyone was taking in the news Warren had given them. Charles had not been exaggerating when he gave his reasons for hiring Logan. Warren continued speaking.
“He worked with us for six months and the phrase ‘all business’ doesn’t even come close to see him work.” “Worked continuously, no parties, no girls, no NOTHING….well except three things.”
“Three things?” asked Scott. He wasn’t happy with Warren’s unabashed praise of Logan. He had not anticipated this when he had called Warren to come over for the weekend and the charity ball.
“Yes, three things” repeated Warren. “Beer, Ice Hockey and little Ju-Ju-Bees here” he ended. Jubilee scrunched her nose at the nickname.
“How do you know all those things about him?” inquired Ororo. “I mean personal things.”

“Well my dad made me work with him. I was just starting out and dad thought it might learn something from this surly, ex-army, bouncer wannabe. That’s what I thought of him the first time I met him.” “You know, dad was right. I did learn something from him.”
“What?” “How to be anti-social” said Scott, disdainfully. “How not to take a hint.”
Henry laid a hand on Remy’s shoulder to stop him from responding to Scott’s comment. The others immediately noticed the tension rolling off from Scott. However, they thought it was because of the lingering tension between them because of the Logan-Jean-Scott debacle.
“No” answered Warren, shrugging it off. “He just gave me one piece of advice…..well actually two. He told me to get my head out of my *golden* ass and to learn how to read body language.”

“Body language” “Why that?” asked Cecelia, the psychiatrist in her impressed by the mysterious specimen before her.
“Well, he said that I had potential and a flair for talking. If I could combine that with a skill of how to read body language, I would know what to talk to people about and not jabber away like some *punk-geek* who just managed to get a degree and a comfortable post, thanks to daddy. And you know what, it’s the best piece of advice anyone other than my dad has ever given me.”
Logan, who had been silent all this time, finally spoke. “I still think, ya talk *shit* and lots o’ it. But now ya talk some sense too.”
Warren smiled “And I still think you are a crazy ass Canadian.”
“Yup, and proud o’ it.”

“Come on lets go in,” offered Ororo. “I am famished.” She slid her hand in Logan’s and both of them started walking up the stairs, the others following them.
“Logan I need to talk to you” said Scott. “Now”
“Sure” agreed Logan. “What’s the matter?”
“In private” “Meet me in the rec-room” with that, he turned around and walked away.
Ororo looked at Logan, who shrugged his shoulder. “You go along with them darlin’. I’ll be there once I know what bug crawled up Scooter’s ass.”
“Logan” admonished Ororo.
“Ya Ya” admitted Logan. “Be nice to Scoot….uh…Scott.”
Ororo smiled at him and kissed him on the cheek, earning hoots from Jubilee.
“Ya too kid, run along now” “and take the half pint with ya.”

Logan started to walk in the direction Scott had gone.
“Do yo wan’ Remy to come with ya Logan?” asked Remy.
“Na Cajun” dismissed Logan with a flip of his hand. “I can handle Scooter just fine. You just be nice ta Marie here, otherwise I’ll carve ya a new one” he pointed towards a blushing Marie.

Jubilee and Kitty immediately huddled around Ororo, wanting to know every little detail.
“So tell me,” piped up Jubilee. “How many times did you guys do the nasty?”
“Jubilee” exclaimed Ororo, trying to sound angry but her twinkling eyes and blushing cheeks giving her away.
“What?” “What did I say?” asked Jubilee trying to look innocent. “So, how many times? And don’t tell me you didn’t. Yu guys looked ready to jump each other and you are wearing his clothes.”
“Well that’s just because my gown got all wet” explained Ororo, neglecting Jubilee’s other question.

Ororo reached Jean, who was standing quietly.
“Jean” she began.
“Yes Ororo” Jean managed quietly.
“Thank you……yesterday night” with that she stepped forward and hugged Jean, who after the initial surprise, hugged her back, tears welling up in her eyes.
“I am sorry Ororo,” she said, her voice cracking. “I am sorry, for causing you pain and hurt. I never meant to do that.”
“It’s all right” Ororo consoled her. “It may take some time for things to get back to normal, but I am willing to forgive and start afresh.”
“Thank you Ororo….thank you” Jean muttered hugging her even tighter.

Soon everyone was in the dining hall. Charles and Liliandra were happy to see Ororo’s bright spirits and that she and Jean had finally managed to patch things and were talking to each other again. They were feeling very contented when, suddenly there was a loud crash followed by

“YOU ASSHOLE”

“Scott” came a number of voices. All the teachers rushed towards the source of sound. Charles instructed the students to remain in their seats.

Reaching the rec-room, everyone was shocked at the sight before them. Lying among the broken remains of a coffee table was Scott, bleeding from his nose and with a very angry and agitated Logan standing over him, his fists clenched together in an attacking pose.

“You fucking asshole” Scott cried out. “You broke my nose.”





You must login () to review.