22. Not Again

“WOLVIE……WOLVIE” she yelled running through the corridors towards Logan’s office.

On reaching the office she found it locked with a note saying ‘Out of office – 1030 to 1300 hours’
“Oh shit, shit, shit” Jubilee muttered as she rushed back to the class. By the time she got there Henry had already taken Ororo to the infirmary. Marie had taken over for Ororo and had asked the students to go to the library until their next class.
“Did you find Logan?” Marie asked; looking up as Jubilee came through the door.
“NO….hmph….hmph…” she answered panting. “He is not in his office. There is a note, which says he won’t be back till lunch. Do you know where I can find him?”
“No” “Ah don’t know” answered Marie. Suddenly she remembered something. “Ah think Ah saw him go towards tha garage. Ah think he took tha truck.”
“Ororo was calling fer him” she added.
“Thank you Miss Marie” with that Jubilee raced towards the infirmary.

“Aahh…..Logan” Ororo cried out in pain. “Henry what is happening to me?” she asked, tears flowing from her eyes.
Henry McCoy had an idea what was the problem. He had been afraid of this, but with her recent recovery, he had thought that the danger had passed.
He administered a sedative and soon Ororo was sleeping, her body occasionally convulsing as the painkiller medicines took effect.

Jubilee, Jean and Charles were waiting for Henry outside the infirmary. Charles had barely managed to calm the panicking teenager when the infirmary doors swung open and a dejected looking Henry walked out.
“How is she?” Jubilee asked immediately. “Can I see her?”
“Henry, what happened?” asked Charles. Ororo was like a daughter to him and it pained him to see her in pain. Only a few weeks back she had barely survived a life threatening attack and now this. And that too at a time when she seemed so happy and contented.

Turning to Jubilee, Henry spoke “Yes Jubilee, you can see her. But not for long and try to be silent. She needs to rest.” He waited for Jubilee to be out of hearing distance. Turning to face Charles and Jean, he told them what had happened.
“Oh God” whispered Jean in shock, her hand going to her mouth.
“Are you sure?” asked Charles.
“I am afraid I am,” responded Henry, taking off his glasses and rubbing his weary eyes. “I was afraid of this.”
“We should have told her?” said Jean. “She’ll be devastated.”
“That’s exactly the reason we didn’t tell her earlier. She wasn’t in any state to bear such news,” Charles said evenly. “Although I don’t know how she will bear it even now.”
“Yes”- agreed Henry. “She seemed so happy these past few days. And now this.”

“Logan” Jean exclaimed, realizing that he too didn’t know anything about Ororo’s problem. “Who will tell him?” she asked.
Henry drew a deep breath and put his glasses back on. “I’ll tell Ororo and if necessary Logan. Although I would like her to tell him.”
Charles nodded his head, agreeing with Henry. “Lets keep this between us. No one should come to know about this” “NO ONE” he repeated looking at Jean. She understood the professor meant Scott. “If any student or faculty asks, just tell them she had a severe stomach problem…..at least for the time being.”
“Ok Professor” agreed both Henry and Jean.

Meanwhile,

Logan had gone to the city. He had ordered certain sensitive parts and didn’t want to receive them at the institute. He had given a postal code and was to pickup his shipment today. As Ororo was going to be busy the entire morning, it seemed like the perfect time for a quick trip. He would be back by lunch.

Thinking back, he remembered the day he was approached by an ex-client, a state senator for a job for one of his friends. The money was good and the contract was a year long with an option of extending it further. But what had attracted him the most was the impressive school setup and name of the school. ‘Maybe I can get the kid admitted there. That way we can be together and I can make some money at the same time” was the main thought in his mind. Never even in his wildest dreams would have dreamt of meeting a *living* goddess like Ororo and her falling in love with him.

He was even thinking of settling down here, with Ororo. If she agreed, they would get their own place near the institute or they could lease land from Xavier so that they could have a place of their own. ‘I ain’t gonna stay in the mansion like Scooter and Jeannie,’ he thought, a frown coming over his face. ‘Scooter’ he scowled mentally. He would never have thought that Ass-wipe would scoot so low. ‘Well that’s why he is called Scooter.’

He was thinking these thoughts as he pulled into the mansion gates. Getting out of the truck, he unloaded the packages and began walking towards his office. He wanted to get to Ororo as soon as she finished her class. That gave him an easy twenty minutes in which to get to his office and then to her class.

Stepping into the mansion, he saw, a worried looking Jubilee sitting with Kitty. She had tear marks on her face. Logan scowled. ‘If any of these punks said anything ta her….’ his thoughts were interrupted by Jubilee, who saw him and immediately rushed to him, fresh tears appearing in her eyes.
“Wolvie….” she wailed, burying her face into this chest.
Logan put his arms around her, looking over her shoulder at Kitty for a clue to cause of her tears. Kitty had the same lost look on her face, tears were welling up in her eyes too. Something was *majorly* wrong.
“Hey hey” he patted Jubilee on her back, trying to calm her. “What happened Jubes?” he asked. “Why the waterworks?”
“Wolvie…..Ororo….” was all she said, bursting into tears again.
“Ororo” asked Logan, his voice suddenly cold. “What happened ta Ororo?”
When Jubilee didn’t answer, he pushed her back from his chest. “What happened ta Ororo?” he asked again.
Coming to his side Kitty answered. “Mr. Logan sir, Miss Monroe fell in the class and Dr. McCoy took her to the infirmary.”
“Fell” Logan sighed with relief. But then something hit him ‘infirmary’.
“How hard did she fall?”

Jubilee had calmed by now and spoke. “She didn’t get hurt because she fell, but she fell because she was hurting.” “She was teaching us and suddenly fell down holding her stomach and crying out in pain.”
“Where is she?” asked Logan, his fists clenching at the thought of Ororo in pain. He had seen it once after Creed’s attack and didn’t want it to happen again – ever.
“In the infirmary” informed Jubilee. “She was calling out for you?” she added.
“Shit” was all Logan said before sprinting to the infirmary.

----

“Where is she?” Henry McCoy looked up as his office door was thrown open, a very agitated Logan standing in the doorway.
“Where is she Hank?” Logan repeated again.
“She left.”
“She left” “What dya mean, she left? Where did she go?”
“I don’t know. Maybe her room”

Logan turned to go away but stopped short at Henry’s words.
“Logan, I think we should let her have some time to herself”
“What dya mean…time ta herslf” Logan growled dangerously. “What happened ta her Hank?”
“It’s not for me to tell. Maybe….”
Logan slammed his fist on the table, knocking several things over. “WHAT. HAPPENED. TA. HER?” he yelled.
“Logan, try to understand. She is my patient….” his words got stuck in this throat as Logan grabbed his collar and yanked him up. “Tell me….now,” he growled, drawing Henry’s face close to his.
“Yelling or manhandling me won’t get you the information you need” Hank said evenly.

Logan let his collar go, his expression changing from one of anger to one of despair.
“What happened to her?” he whispered in a pleading voice. “Tell me……Please”
Henry took one look at Logan and walking across the desk, he reached the door. Turning to Logan, he spoke, “Everything you need to know is in that yellow folder on my desk. You have fifteen minutes.” With that, he walked out of the room.

Ten minutes later, a silent Logan left the infirmary. He had to find Ororo.

----

He finally found her sitting near the lake. Her hair looked all messed up and from her side profile, it was clear she had been crying for long time and still was.
“Ororo” Logan called out softly, getting no reaction from her. He came and sat by her side. Henry was correct. She needed time to herself. But that didn’t mean, he couldn’t keep her *silent* company. He would wait for her to speak and tell him herself, as long as it took.

They sat there side by side in silence for a long time. Finally, Ororo laid her head on his shoulder.
“You remember the day we first came here? The day you showed me the herd of deer with the doe and the fawn.” she asked. Her smooth velvety voice hoarse from crying.
“Yes” he answered, remembering the day and the *time* she was talking about. He wanted to reach out; and hold her tightly and tell her that everything was going to be all right. However, he also wanted her to come out on her own. She needed to do that.
“That is the day I finally *realized* that I love you” she said, a sad smile forming on her face.

Her smile soon dropped as she withdrew away from him. “You have to leave now” she said evenly, her face suddenly devoid of any emotion.
“What?” Logan was stunned. He didn’t expect this. “’Roro…” he started.
“Yes Logan” “I told you people called me a freak. Well now it is true.”
“No darlin’”
“Yes Logan” she responded, her emotions surfacing again, her face showing anger, hurt, betrayal and….loss.

“I am a freak. A freak with black skin, white hair and blue eyes. A freak that can’t do anything correctly” her voice cracking as she said the last sentence, her head lowering into her hands.

“A freak who cannot even give birth....”





You must login () to review.