24. The Return

The taxicab came to a halt before the large gates and slowly a lone figure got out.

He waited as the cabby came around and take out his duffle bag from the boot. He thanked the kid and paid him a hefty tip for the out of the way trip.

Picking up his bag, the man began walking towards the gates. He didn’t know why he was here. It had been so long. Everyone would have forgotten him….maybe even her. No, not her. They had promised to be together – for life. A promise which he had broken.

Reaching the gate he entered the password. It still worked.

-----

Inside the institute, Kurt Wagner was on security duty. He was a German immigrant and had recently joined the institute. He used to help around the school to make some extra money.

He saw the unknown figure enter the institute gates. It was odd. He had entered a user name Kurt had never heard of. He needed to inform one of the teachers.

“Mr. Summers, there is a man coming towards the mansion,” The teachers looked up as an excited Kurt Wagner ran into the teacher’s lounge.
“What do you mean coming towards the mansion? Surely you must have allowed him in” asked Scott, his brow furrowing.
“Nein” “He entered his own user name and password and he isn’t one of the teachers.”
“What user name did he use?” asked Jean.
Scott’s eyes widened as Kurt spelled out the name.

Immediately the teacher’s lounge was empty. All the adults rushing out, leaving a very confused Kurt standing there by himself. After a few moments, he too followed them

----

Reaching near the mansion stairs, he saw familiar looking faces waiting for him.

Smiling at the bald man on the wheel chair, he spoke “Hey Chuck.”

Suddenly the blond haired man standing next to Xavier stepped forward and the next instant Logan found himself sprawled on the ground. Cradling and rubbing his sore jaw, he sat up. “You hit like a girl” he scowled at Scott Summers.
“How dare you show your face here?” Scott sneered. “After what you did to Ororo…how dare you.”
Logan scowled at Scott. “Ya don’ know shit” he spat out.
Scott stepped forward but was stopped by Xavier. “Scott”

Xavier looked at the man in front of him. He looked pretty much the same as he did the day is disappeared from the mansion. Except maybe a little thinner and the hair seemed shorter, like it had been recently cut.

“Logan” he began. “We thought you had….”
“Died” completed Logan. “I almost did,” he stated, pulling his duffle bag to him. “But here I am before ya guys. Now tell me where is Ororo.”
“Come lets go inside” Xavier spoke.
“Where’s Ororo” Logan growled, repeated his question.
“She’s not here,” said Jean.
“When will she be back?”

Their conversation was interrupted by a shriek from the stairs. Turning to see they saw Jubilee rushing down the stairs, followed by an equally excited Kitty.

Logan smiled as she came running towards him. However, his smile turned into a frown as she came and stood beside Xavier and Scott.
“You’re alive,” Jubilee asked coldly.
Logan slowly nodded his head. What had gone behind his back? Why was Jubilee standing like that next to Scooter and Jean.
“Hey kid” he began but was stopped by a raging Jubilee.
“You asshole” “Don’t ‘hey kid’ me. You left me….YOU LEFT ME” she shouted at the man on the ground. “I feel like kicking you right in the face but I don’t want to get my shoes dirty.”
“Jubes” Logan tried softly. He extended his hand to her. “Please”
“Don’t Jubes me” “Your Jubes died the day you ran out on me and Ororo.”
“No” Logan growled, lowering his head. “I didn’t run” he whispered under his breath.

“Where were you?” asked Jubilee, coming and standing before him.
“WHERE WERE YOU?” she cried out louder, tears flowing down her face. In truth she had been ecstatic to see Logan again. But the bitter betrayal she felt over his leaving her, was causing her to be rude to him.

“Where were you for the past two and a half years? Answer me?” she cried out, yanking his shirt collar, causing him to fall down on his back, his head bumping on the ground.
“Wolvie….” She was on his side in an instant, all her rage forgotten. “Sorry Wolvie. I didn’t mean to do it so hard. Are you alright?” she said, softly caressing his head.
“It’s alright kid. It ain’t yer fault” consoled Logan.

“Logan, Jubilee” addressed Xavier. “Come let’s go inside, where we can sit and talk.”
Jubilee jumped to her feet, waiting for Logan to get up.
“Wolvie, come lets go,” she smiled at Logan offering her hand. But he shook his head.
“I need somethin’ stronger ta get me up.”

------

Everyone was silent as Logan finished telling his story. Jubilee had been sitting next to him the whole time, her hand intertwined with his, her head on his shoulder.
“So when did you come out of the coma?” asked Jean.
“About six months ago” he answered.
“Why didn’t you call us then?” questioned Jubilee, her face stained from frequently wiped tears.
“I didn’t want ya ta see me like that. The doctor told me that I might never walk,” he said fingering his walking stick. “Bet now he says that if I keep on exercising properly, then I should get the full use of my leg within a year.”

“Why didn’t ya tell us where ya were going?” questioned Marie.
“I had one last job ta do,” explained Logan. “A friend of mine had been kidnapped. I needed ta…..take care of it” he ended quietly. “And I did leave a note fer….” he stopped mid-sentence.
“Where is SHE?” Logan questioned again, getting blank expressions everyone.

“Logan, she….left” Jubilee answered softly, wincing with pain as Logan’s grip around her hand tightened.
“When?”
“Two years ago”

“Where?”
“We don’t know”

“With whom?”
Getting no answer for his third question, he repeated himself sternly.

“WITH WHOM DID SHE LEAVE”
“With Warren”





You must login () to review.