5. Old Friends

Logan was enjoying his second cigar when he heard footsteps coming towards him. Smelling the perfume he recognized who it was but stayed silent hoping the person would go away.
“You know this is a school.”
“Yeh…. so?”
“You are smoking.”

Logan turned around to face the dark beauty. The first thing he noticed was that she was practically glowing under the soft moon light. She had a calm look on her face as if she was reprimanding a student.
“Atleast I am not inside.”
“But what if a student sees you. It will set a bad example for them.”
“Then it’s a good thing that I am not a teacher.” He answered curtly. He got up an walked away towards his cabin.

Ororo Monroe watched him walk away, sighed and sat down on the recently vacated bench. ‘This didn’t work out quite right, did it?’ She shook her head as if to clear her mind. She had come out for a walk to enjoy the cool night breeze and on seeing Logan had approached him.
‘Maybe he just needs some time to get settled in.’

She took off her sandals, enjoying the feel of soft grass under her feet. About fifteen minutes later she got up and started walking towards the mansion. ‘Better get to bed if I want to wake up for my class.’

As she reached the front door, she was met there by Victor Creed. She could smell the smell alcohol wafting from him. She didn’t like Creed much; in fact she was a little creeped out. She wanted to avoid him, but he started talking to her.
“Hey Ororo, why don’t you and I go out for a night on the town?”
“I don’t think so Mr. Creed.” answered Ororo tightly and started to walk away.
She looked over her shoulder and spoke again, “And in the future, please address me as Ms. Monroe. Only my friends and the people I like call me Ororo and *you* are neither my friend nor do I like you. In fact I can hardly stand you. Goodnight.” With that she walked away leaving a fuming Victor Creed.
“Bitch. Doesn’t like me, eh. Thinks she is too good for me, well we shall she about that.” He then staggered inside and made his way to his room.

Meanwhile, in the Summers’ bedroom.

Scott Summers pulled his wife towards him and hugged her “Jean, all you right? You seemed very out of it today.”
When Jean didn’t answer, Scott continued “It’s because of Logan isn’t it.” It was more of a statement than a question.
“What happened? Did he say or do anything to you.” asked Scott angrily.
“No Scott, nothing happened.” Said Jean quickly. “I don’t want to talk about it, OK. Lets just go to bed.”
“Ok” Seeing his wife’s fatigued state Scott didn’t push the matter any further.
He didn’t like Logan and the affect he had on his wife increased his dislike even more.


A week had passed since Logan had joined the institute. He stayed mostly to himself and didn’t converse much with the other teachers and students. That is except with Marie. She always managed to get him to talk. True it was mostly about the school and work, but it was more than the others.

Friday Evening (8 PM)

The cell phone rang. The owner of the phone checked and answered.
“Yeh”
“What news do you have for me?”
“Well he has started his work. He doesn’t talk to anyone about it except Xavier.”
“How is your personal relation with him coming along?”
“No as good as I want it to be. But, things should improve in time. The past is causing a problem.”
“Take care of both him and his past. If possible we need to get him on our side or take him out of the way.”
“I’ll see what I can do?”
“I didn’t bail you out to see what you ‘can’ do. You ‘will’ do what I tell you to do. Understood”
“Yes Sir.”
“Use any means necessary.”
With that the phone call ended.

At the same time, twenty miles away. Harry’s bar,

A beautiful dark haired lady entered the bar. She looked around and her eyes rested on the man she was there to meet. She made her way to where is sat.
“You’re late” he said without looking up.
“And you are as courteous as every. Is that any way to meet an old friend?”
“What do you want, a twenty gun salute.”

The woman smiled and shook her head.
“You know that’s why I always liked you.” she said sitting down across him.

Before any of them could say anything else, a waitress came to their table. She was wearing a short skimpy dress, with a deep neckline.
“Can I take your order?”
“I’ll have a double margarita” answered the woman.
The man simply picked up his half empty beer bottle, “Keep ‘em coming darlin’”

The waitress smiled at him and walked away to get their order.
“You know she is crushing over you. Not that there is anything new about it. You always attracted women like moths to light.” She said chuckling.
“Yeh, if that’s true, why didn’t you feel into the same bed.” He answered.
“Oh, there was a minor problem. We were too good friends to screw it up with sex. Not that I didn’t think about it.”
“Same here darlin’, same here.”
Both of them were silent as the waitress brought their drinks. She bent over to face the man, and smiled at him. He in turn winked at her as she straightened causing her to blush.

They sipped their drinks in silence.
“So why did you contact me after all these years? It can’t be because you suddenly got emotional and wanted to catch up with old friends. You never come to our yearly reunions.”
“I’ve got a job for you. One which requires your skills.”
“What sort of a job is it and how did you know what I do and from where did you get my number.”
“Aw, come on. If I don’t come to those frickin’ reunions, doesn’t mean that I don’t keep track of you guys.”
“I don’t know whether to be honored or creeped out. It’s my job to spy on people for a living and someone has been spying on me. It’s very disconcerting.”
“Don’t worry, I won’t tell anyone that you have frilly underwear now.” he said leering at her.
“I don’t even want to know how you know that.”

They both started laughing and only got quite when the waitress came with a second round of drinks. Once she left the woman spoke,
“I think seeing me here with you broke her heart.”
“She’ll get over it. And anyway she is too young for me.”

“So what do you want me to do?”
“Nothing much, I want you to get my information about these three people.” He handed her a folder.
“New friends of yours?” She opened the folder and started reading.
“No, they work at my new gig.”

When she got to the last person, her eyes shot up. “He works there too?”
“Yes. I want to you find out what has he been doing the past four years. I want to know how did manage to get a job here.”
“What sort of a place is it?”
“It’s a school. Real high class. In fact I am thinking of trying and getting a position for the kid if possible.”
“Oh, I forgot to ask about her. How old is she now.”
“Turned 15 couple of months back. Real pain the butt.”
“Yeh, but you love her, everybody knows that. And she loves you too death.”
“She’s the only good thing in my life.”
“Where is she nowadays?”
“LA. If things work out, I'll move her here.”

They both sat together reminiscing about old times. It was around midnight when the woman finally started gathering her stuff.
“So I’ll contact you as soon as I get the information you need.”

Both of them got up and made their way to the front door.
“Hey just wait a minute.”

As the women observed, the man walked to where the young waitress was standing next to the bartender. As she observed he pulled her close, dipped her and gave her a long and passionate kiss. When he let her up she was flustered. He then handed her some money and whispered something to her. She smiled to him in return and kissed him on the cheek.

As they walked outside, the woman asked, “What was that about? What did you say to her?”
“Nothing. Just gave her a kiss, tip and some advice.”
“Well everybody in the bar saw the kiss and the tip. What was the advice?”
“I told her to use the tip to take her friends for a treat at a sitdown restaurant or get a nice dress for herself.”
“How much was the tip?”
“Not much. Just a couple of bills.”
“Two hundred dollars….that’s not much. Maybe I should have come dressed like that.”
“Hey I have seen you naked,, or have you forgotten that.”
“Yeah Yeah, I remember.”

They hugged each other before leaving for the night.
“It was nice to meet to again, Logan.”
“Same here Sage, same here.”





You must login () to review.