Pride and Prejudice by Lady Dreamwalker
Summary: Based on Jane Austins wonderful novel. Lo/Ro style.
Categories: General Characters: None
Genres: Romance
Warnings: None
Challenges:
Series: None
Chapters: 10 Completed: No Word count: 13164 Read: 14322 Published: 12-12-05 Updated: 04-01-07

1. First meeting by Lady Dreamwalker

2. "Hateful man" by Lady Dreamwalker

3. Making new acquaintances by Lady Dreamwalker

4. Midnight conversation by Lady Dreamwalker

5. Fine eyes by Lady Dreamwalker

6. Plans by Lady Dreamwalker

7. At Netherfield by Lady Dreamwalker

8. The accomplishment of women by Lady Dreamwalker

9. Invasion of Bennet's by Lady Dreamwalker

10. Another new acquaintance by Lady Dreamwalker

First meeting by Lady Dreamwalker
It was a beautiful day in Hertfordshire. Soft white clouds drifted lazily on the brilliant sky. The midday sun stood high, but gave a pleasant warmth. After weeks of relentless rain, cold weather and fog that hid the sun, this day felt like a blessing. Miss Bennet had gone out, despite her mothers complains. A lady should not go out like a commoner and destroy her pale complexion. Ororo had laughed at that, earning a indignant snort from her mother. She had untied her bonnet and let heir hair fall freely down her back. The mild winds played with the strands and she closed her eyes, turned her face to the sun, imagined that it kissed her.

Her mother would be scandalized if she saw her now. She had kicked off her shoes to feel the soft emerald green grass between her toes. She was at her favorite place. The green hills above Netherfield Park. It gave a wonderful view of this beautiful mansion, with it’s surroundings. Netherfield was the largest estate in this county, and many wondered when it would be inhabited again. It was a shame that a grand place as that would stay empty.

She smiled a little when she remembered how two of her younger sisters had talked about what a blessing it would be if a handsome young man of a large fortune would move in, and take one of them as his wife. But now their minds were filled with romantic notions about the officers that had come to Mereton, just a half an hour walk from Longbourn. Ororo herself was a sensible enough woman that didn’t let her mind wander to such trivial matters.

Although she wasn’t like her sister Theresa who sniffed contemptuously whenever young men, dancing and other such happy subjects came up at the afternoon tea, but she didn’t let it occupy her mind completely as Anna and Julia did. Her father often did say, and that in front of all his five daughters and wife that Ororo was the most sensible of the women surrounding him. He was a straight forward man someway beyond his middle years. His wit was sharp. It was not that he was insensitive to others feelings, but he was a man of his word and often told what was on his mind, in the most vexing tones according to his lady. Mrs. Bennet was a demanding woman. Younger than her husband but much more frail and of delicate health. Her wit was not like her husband. In fact, she hardly seemed to have any, something Mr. Bennet was wise enough to not tell in her presence. It amazed their daughters how a couple with such a different nature as those two even could live under the same roof. There seemed to be little love and little respect shared between their mother and father.

Ororo didn’t let the thought about her mother and father disturb her now on this fine day. She picked up her sturdy shoes, tying the laces so she could hold them, dandling when she resumed her stroll. It smelled of spring and happy promises. Few understood why she went for this solitary walks. Not even Jean, her dearest sister and friend. Unlike her mother and younger siblings, Jean didn’t berate her for this wild walks. Even if the eldest and most beautiful Miss Bennet didn’t understand why Ororo went out alone, she was content with knowing it did good for her ‘Ro. The wind played with the trees that had started budding. Wild apple and chestnuts grew here, and would when their flowers bloom fill the air with their sweet scent. Trees and bushed grew thicker around here, she knew this path as it led to a pond. As Netherfield was uninhabited she saw no harm in visiting it’s ground. The pond was a nice solitary spot where, when she was younger she had caught tadpoles and studied the insects. Low hanging branches tugged at her hair, but she merely smiled and shook it off.

A strange sound made her halt, and she looked up startled to se a tall black horse teetered against a trunk of a willow. The stallion was grazing lazily, lifted up his proud head to appraise her. He seemed to think of her as of little importance and resumed his grazing. Ororo stared. What on earth? She did not recognize the stallion. The saddle was left on him, and boots and a bundle she guessed where clothes had been placed at the tree. She didn’t know anyone else that used to go here. She took another step, and once again halted as someone broke the surface of the pond. Her breath caught in her throat and she gasped softly.

A man emerged and he began to walk up from the pond. He had dark hair, flatten by the water and that reached down to his shoulders. A fine carved face, it seemed hard and arrogant. A strong chin and straight nose. She blushed when she noticed his bare chest. Wet from the bath, it seemed chiseled, sculpted. Hard muscles that told of strong arms and wide shoulders. Thank the lord he wore breeches. Her eyes went up back to his face and suddenly she was held by his blue cold eyes.

“Who in the devils name are you, and what are you doing here?”
"Hateful man" by Lady Dreamwalker
That hard gaze, the color of steel suddenly drawn kept her standing as if frozen on the spot. Water dropped from his hair on his muscular chest. He was a hard built man, and seemed as hard as his body, even his voice, that deep almost growling voice made stone seem like butter.

“Well?”
She flinched and could finally find her tongue. Straightening up and meeting his eyes with equal coolness she responded.

“I am Ororo Bennet, and may I ask who you are?” She sounded calm and cool. He quirked an eyebrow. By the fine horse and the saddlebags she could see he was a wealthy man, perhaps even a lord. Possibly he had expected her to curtsey and call him “sir”. His gaze went down, looked at the dirty hem of her skirt and bare feet marked by mud and grass, then to her hair and she become conscious of the dry twigs that been entangled in her locks. She must be a pretty sight indeed! His lips twisted, a slight curve that increased the arrogance in his features. The sky seemed to darken. She was a civil young woman, easy to like by most, but when he failed to show her the fine manner he apparently expected others to show him, she saw no reason why she should! The longer he looked at her like he was looking for her faults and found them all, the less she liked him.

“You did not answer my question miss Bennet. What are you doing here? Is it in your nature to trespass on other people’s property?”
He should talk about other people’s natures! She stiffened. A slight blush on her cheek might reveal the anger that she tried to keep from her voice.

“And you did not answer mine! But if you must know. No it is not in my nature to trespass uninvited. Until this moment I did not know that Netherfield Park was let. Now that I know, it will not happen again. Good day sir.” Well she offered a small curtsey, after all she was raised to be civil, and this disagreeable man would not make her sink to his level.

“Good day” He snapped back. Her teeth clenched and she turned around and walked away with angry strides. That hateful man!

*


Had she stayed a little longer, she would have met another man, that moments after she had disappeared from view came riding towards the tall “hateful” man. The rider had a young and pleasant face. The dark green coat, and white breeches fitted his slim frame, and the tall hat on his head made him look like the gentleman he was. A pair of odd red colored binoculars hid his eyes.

“Darcy, there you are! Emma told me she had seen you ride this way. Isn’t this the most wonderful place you have seen? I have met the most pleasant people and I have barely moved in!” The young man sounded as always excited, even when his friend bore the most sour expression. He jumped of the chestnut colored gelding and held it’s reins while Darcy picked up a white shirt and pulled it on, despite the water still dripping from his hair.

“I met a lord Lucas who has invited me and my company to “Lucas Lodge” this evening. There will be other guests and there is to be food music and dancing. You will come won’t you Darcy?”
Mr. Darcy wanted no such thing, and told his friend as much, but added curtly

“I might as well. You and I seem to have different opinions about the people in this neighborhood Bingley. They have little manner and that is why I will come with you. I would not wish to see you be taken advantage of, and your sister need someone that could fend of the fools that I’m positive will be there.”

Dressed as well as he could be Mr. Darcy untied the reins around the tree trunk and started leading the stallion back towards the manor. Mr. Bingley followed. He was used to Mr. Darcy’s nature and wasn’t offended by his tone.

“I would be much surprised if you would not enjoy yourself there Darcy. I tell you. These people are as easy going and happy as any I ever met!

“I think not” was all Darcy said on the subject, and he walked on in silence, not minding Bingley enthusiastic talk about what merriments the evening would offer.

*


Ororo’s walk home to Longbourn took less time than when she took her stroll down to the pond. Her anger at how the man treated her gave her speed. The feeling did not fade the slightest even when she came within sight of the low three stories house. It wasn’t a very big house Longbourn, but it was sufficient for a family of seven plus servants. She liked the grounds where fruit trees and roses grew. Mrs. Hill, their stout elderly maid was in the vegetable patch to gather some turnips to lunch. Before Ororo took the first step onto the porch, she could hear her mother’s shrill voice and the excited shatter of her younger sisters. What now? She tried to smooth her features, as she did not wish them to see that she was upset and bother her with endless questions. Taking a calming breath she opened the door and entered the chaos. Mrs. Bennet was like a hen, flailing her arms and running and shouting for the servants, her husband and daughters.

“Ro There you are, what on earth have you been doing? You look dreadful. I hope no one saw you like that! And no shoes? What have I told you about walking with no shoes? Your feet are dark enough without you having to add more! How many times do I have to tell you that no man wants a wife that looks like a coalminer?. I should be grateful to have Jean, with her beauty she should be able to marry a man of a large fortune that could take care of us all” She endured her mother’s tirade as always. She did not feel any resentment that she was considered less beautiful than her older sister. Jean was considered a beauty by all that saw her. Mrs. Bennet opened her mouth to (without a doubt continue her criticism of Ororo) but was interrupted when two of her youngest daughters rushed into the hallway.

“Ro” Shouted the youngest, Anna - Marie excitedly

“Have you heard?” Julia cut in.

“Netherfield is let at last!” They both said at the same time and glared at each other.

“A Mr. Bingley has moved in, and he is young.”

“And handsome, and”

“Unmarried and rich!”

“Lord Lucas has invited them, and all of us to Lucas Lodge this evening!” They were babbling, raising their voices higher and higher in competition on who could tell her the most. Anna-Marie was however the most forceful of the two and seemed to be their mothers favorite as Mrs. Bennet often took her part. Poor Julia, tried her best outshine Anna-Marie, but lacked her one year younger sisters stubbornness. Both were pretty girls and happy mannered for most of the time. Anna-Marie was the spoiled one though, and she had fiercer temper.

The Bennet sisters had each their own personalities, and the difference was noted on their looks too. The eldest, Jean was a beautiful redhead. Pale with green eyes she had a handsome and not too tall a figure. Ororo was handsome in her own way. She looked very much apart from the rest of the family, which caused a few raised eyebrows on some people. When she had been born, Mrs Bennet had experienced one of her famous nervous breakdowns and could not bear to look at her child. The infant had looked so odd with her white hair, dark complexion and blue eyes, but then her not often seen compassion had won and she came to feel fondness and even love for her strange looking daughter. Mrs. Bennet had tried her best though to do something about Ororo’s looks. Tried to keep her indoors (if she just kept away from the sun her skin would pale!) and color her hair dark or red. But she had no success. Ororo did not want to change!. Theresa…well the girl could be pretty if she straightened up a bit and cared as much about her looks as she did her theology, philosophy and other such dreadfully boring subjects. Her hair was red, but not the sparkling red of Jean. It was more carrot red, and even if she was pale, she looked sickly. The glasses she wore didn’t help the matter. Julia was dark haired with dark , but slanted eyes. She was the shortest of her daughters, if she had more spirit she would be as charming as Anna-Marie. Anna-Marie had a bronze colored curly hair with an odd white streak at the forhead and had green eyes and was spirited. A personality which she showed now as her eyes shot daggers at Julia.

“Dani Lucas told me he was very charming and agreeable.”
“He is to bring six gentlemen and ten ladies to the party”
“No, it was four gentlemen and eight ladies Julia!”
“Too many ladies” said Ororo with a slight smile, even though she didn’t feel like smiling. Mr Bingley? Was it that man she had met? It must be, but she could hardly call him handsome and charming!

“Oh I hope he will ask me for a dance” Julia sighed and their mother snorted.

“You better do something about your nose if you are hoping for a dance. Sniveling and coughing like that.” As if on cue, Julia began coughing, and their mother looked heavenward while Anna-Marie snickered.

“Well I will dance with him. Trice! One dance for me, one for you and one for Theresa.” She said confidently. Theresa never danced.

“Ofcourse you will my girl. You will have a wonderful time as always and break many hearts. Ororo don’t you just stand there! Go wash yourself and change your clothes! I can’t bear to watch that dreadful thing you are wearing. Hill! Oh where is that woman! Hill!”

“Yes mama” Sighed Ororo thankfully and began up the stairs to the second floor where she had her bedroom.

“Mama, I need new clothes for this evening. I have nothing to wear!”

Relieved she closed the door to her bedroom, shutting out their voices and went to her mirror stand. What she saw made her almost understand that mans scorn. Her snow white tresses fell in unruly locks down her back, “adorned” with twigs, dried leaves and grass. The hem of her pale skirt was brown with mud and grass, as was her feet. But still, that was no excuse for how he treated her! The door linking her bedroom to Jean’s opened, and her sister entered smiling.

“You have heard that Netherfield…”

“Yes, I’ve heard it.” She snapped before Jean could finish the sentence. The other woman’s smile widened before she picked up Ororo’s mood in that uncanny way she had, and that brought concern on her fair features.

“What is the matter?”
Because it was Jean, Ororo could tell her everything. They sat on her bed, and Jean shook her head when Ororo finished her tale about that man.

“He sounds very bad ‘Ro. But maybe he only was startled by you and didn’t know what he said. I can’t believe that Mr. Bingley could be uncivil without a cause when I’ve heard from those who have met him, how agreeable and charming he is.” Jean’s kind nature did not let her see many faults in people.

“Oh he knew exactly what he said. He was arrogant and conceited. The way he looked at me as if I was a strange ugly creature!” Unlike her sister, Ororo knew that some people had irredeemable faults, and she had a hard time forgiving those who had wronged her or her loved ones. That man, had very clearly showed his nature and she did not like him one bit.

“You are not ugly Roro. I am sure he did not mean to be ill mannered. Come evening at Lucas Lodge you will see him again, and I am certain you will find him agreeable” Jean patted her hand and smiled reassuringly.

“I very much doubt that”
Making new acquaintances by Lady Dreamwalker
The evening found all five of the Bennet sisters and Mrs. Bennet entering the great hall of Lucas Lodge. Many people had already gathered, dressed as the time required in fancy gowns for the ladies or fine coats for the gentlemen. Despite her trepidation, Ororo felt she was in a truly good mood. Jean had helped her into the creamy white Georgian gown, which high cut gave even those ladies with unfortunate modest bosoms look buxom enough to attract attention. The color agreed well with her complexion, which Mrs. Bennet grudgingly had admitted. Jean had braided her hair and pinned it so the braid came resting as a crown on top of her head. A few strands were curled to frame her face, as was the fashion. She had done likewise with her sister, who looked possibly radiant in the pale green gown that complimented her fair features and handsome frame. The other Bennet sisters, with exception of poor Theresa, looked to at their best. Anna-Marie had unsurprisingly managed to coerce her mother into buying a new gown that in Ororo and Jean’s opinion was a scandalous thing for their youngest sister to wear. Young women in Anna-Marie’s age should not show that much cleavage.

As soon as they entered the candle lit hall, Julia and Anna-Marie dashed off to without a doubt gossip with their dear friend, Dani Lucas. Theresa didn’t linger around the older Miss. Bennet’s or her mother, but instead drew herself away to a secluded spot, where she could sit and observe her fellow neighbors. A sport she practiced at every gathering, and which she told anyone that might listen, was a good way to learn about the decadence in human nature.

Ororo and Jean stood at their mother’s side as woman came to greet them. Mrs. Philips was Mrs. Bennet’s sister, and seemed to share the other ones nature. Their chatter consisted most of gossip told in hushed tones that nevertheless could be heard by those not fortunate enough to stand further away. The gossip soon came to the new resident of Netherfield Park.

“His name is Scott Bingley and he is a single man of large fortune. Five thousand a year!” It was apparent that Mrs. Philips had intimate knowledge of Netherfield’s owner.

“But that is nothing, have you heard about his friend? A Mr. James Darcy, also a single man, but his fortunes widely oversteps Bingley’s. Ten thousand a year and he owns Pemberly in Derbyshire. Yes he will accompany Mr. Bingley. Bingley’s sisters, miss. Emma Bingley and Mrs. Tessa Hurst will come too. I hear they are fine ladies.” Their talk came to a temporary halt when they noticed the hushed mood in the room. Turning, they just saw the people subject to their conversation making a grand entrée.

A young man with an open and pleasant face strode smiling into the room, holding an haughty beautiful woman at his arms. She was a tall blonde woman, her complexion so pale it would seem she was made of ice. She held her head high, as if there was an unpleasant smell under her nose. The ladies in the room admired her nonetheless, for she was a real lady, draped in the latest fashion. Behind them was another couple. A portly built man that walked with undignified strides next to the other woman. This one was a dark haired, equally pale and cold woman that seemed to bear the same haughty and unimpressed air as her sister. Her husband seemed to have drunk more than he could handle of the brandy already.

Ororo gasped low when she recognized the last man that entered. She would not easily forget his arrogant hard feature, and that steel cold eyes of his that seemed to deem all in the room as uncivilized peasants.

“The younger man is Mr. Bingley and the blonde is Miss Emma Bingley. The other lady is Mrs Hurst and her husband Sebastian Hurst.” Mrs. Philips whispered to Mrs. Bennet

The jovial Lord Lucas, a middle aged man that despite his recent elevation into knighthood had kept his common ways and happy nature. Bingley shook his hand with equal eagerness as the host. The sisters nodded their head slightly and gave each other knowing, bored looks. Mr. Hurst waved drunkenly. Darcy hardly looked at the lord, who seemed taken aback, but he drew back his outstretched hand and made a sweep out over the assembled.

“Welcome, welcome to this humble assembly. You will find that we are simple people that do no care much about formality as in the court. Here we all are family. I hope you will find it a pleasure to join in the feast, conversation and dancing”

Mr. Bingley smiled brilliantly.

“Thank you Lord Lucas. We are honored indeed to be invited here tonight among such fine people. There is nothing I love more than a country dance”

With these few words Mr. Bingley won the heart of every mother and their daughters.

Jean leaned towards Ororo, asking in soft tones

“Is he the man you met?” Ororo shook her head

“No the other one. Mr. Darcy, the tall dark haired one.” She answered in an equal soft whisper. Her blue eyes looking at the proud man, while she felt previous morning’s humiliation rising up again. She was however relieved that it was Mr Darcy that had been so uncivil, as it would have been unbearable to have him as a neighbor. As a friend to Mr Bingley he would hopefully not stay long.

“His looks are proud, but I’m certain we will find him more agreeable as we get more acquainted. Mr Bingleys sisters are handsome, and seems nice” Ororo didn’t agree, but couldn’t voice her opinion in that matter as the gentlemen, led by Lord Lucas approached them.

Mrs Bennet nudged Jean to stand up straighter and whispered loudly for her oldest daughter to smile.

“Mrs. Bennet! Mr. Bingley wishes to be acquainted with you and your daughters” Lord Lucas told them happily.

“Oh that is very good of you sir!” Mrs. Bennet curtsied, barely able to contain the glee she surely felt, that her and her daughters where subjected to the handsome young mans attention.

“This is Jean my eldest.” Jean curtsied, graceful as ever, and cast a shy look at Mr. Bingley. Ororo smiled a wryly as she recognized the look on Mr. Bingley. That was a look on a man clearly taken by Jean’s beauty. He barely took his eyes from Jean as Mrs. Bennet continued to introduce her other children.

“Do you like to dance?” Mrs. Bennet enquired. And Mr. Bingley finally could tear his gaze away from the beautiful Miss Bennet.

“There is nothing I love better” He replied honestly

“And if Miss. Bennet is not otherwise engaged may I be so bold to ask for the next two dances?” He turned to Jean

“I am not engaged sir” She replied, a lovely blush coloring her cheeks.

“Good!” Mr. Bingley smiled radiantly.

“You do us a great honor sir. Thank the gentleman Jean” A pained look crossed Jean’s fair features.

“Mama!” Ororo whispered to their mother, who ignored her.

“And you sir, are you fond of dancing too?” Mr. Darcy that stood like a shadow behind Mr. Bingley started as he realized that Mrs. Bennet addressed him.

“Oh I beg your pardon. Mrs. Bennet. May I introduce my good friend, Mr. Darcy.”

“You are welcome to Hertfordshire sir, I assure you” Mr. Darcy gave a stiff bow to their curtsy

“I hope you are as eager to dancing as your friend is” Mrs. Bennet continued.

“Thank you madam. I rarely dance”

His offhanded manner did not stop Mrs. Bennet.

“Then let this be one of those occasions. I wager that you rarely find such lively music and such pretty partners” Mrs. Bennet pushed on, inclining her head to Ororo. Mr. Darcy gave another stiff nod. His cold eyes barely touching Ororo. He turned and walked away.
Mrs Bennet’s jaw almost dropped.

“Excuse me madam” Mr. Bingely bowed, sounding embarrassed. He followed after his friend.

“Well have you ever met such a proud disagreeable man!” Mrs. Bennet spit out.

“Ma, he can hear you” Ororo whispered, as Mr Darcy and Bingley looked at them.

“I don’t care if he does! And his friend is so friendly and charming and everything! Who do he think he is?

“The rich think they can treat anyone how they please. We do not need to care about his opinion.” Ororo met mr Darcy’s glare. You would not think his slight had affected her much.

“No indeed!” Her mother replied vehemently. She might herself be harsh on Ororo. But if anyone slighted her dark daughter as Mr Darcy had done, she was quick to defend her.

“Perhaps he is not so handsome after all” Ororo offered, smiling

“No indeed. Quite ill favored. Nothing at all towards Mr. Bingley.”

Luckily the musicians choose a happy dancing tune then, and Mr. Bingley could ask Jean for the first dance.

Mrs. Bennet sat with the other women, wives and mothers at a table, eating of the fine served meal. Ororo walked to sit next to her gloomy sister Theresa, looking at the dancers. Mr. Bingley and Jean where a beautiful couple, many thought so as they admired their graceful movements.

Miss Bingley and Mrs. Hurst weren’t as ill mannered as to refuse dancing when they were invited, but it was apparent to the observant that they did not enjoy this assembly as their brother did.

Needless to say, Mr. Darcy stood by himself. As most people now had seen how proud he was, he was not disturbed by anyone. That is, until Mr. Bingley in between the dances approached him.

“Come Darcy. I must have you to dance! You look silly standing here by yourself. Come, I must have you dance.”

“I certainly shall not. Your sisters are engaged. I would consider it a punishment to stand up with anyone else.”

“Good God Darcy, you are fastidious! I have never met so many pleasant girls in my life. And some of them are uncommonly pretty.” Mr. Bingley, looked at Jean who currently was talking to Miss Lucas.

“You have been dancing with the only handsome girl in the room” Darcy admitted.

“Darcy, she is the most beautiful creature I’ve ever beheld. But look, there is one of her sisters. She is very pretty too and I dare say very agreeable” Ororo was seated, not far from where they stood.

“She is tolerable I suppose. But not handsome enough to tempt me. Bingley I’m in no humor to give consequence to young women who have been slighted by other men. Go back to your partner and her smiles. You are wasting your time with me.” Mr. Bingley gave up, shaking his head as he went back to ask Jean for the next dance.

Ororo who had heard the conversation, rose from her seat. It amazed her that a single man could insult her so many times in a day. It was almost amusing. She would not let him spoil her evening though, so she brushed past him, to join her friend Miss Lucas. In merry tones, she retold what he had said, and as the both girls laughed, Mr. Darcy looked at them, a bit offended as he rightly so thought that they laughed at him.

The rest of the evening, Ororo joined the dancing. In contrary to Darcy’s statement, she was not short of partners. Even though she was not considered as beautiful as her sister, she still was seen as one of the most handsome girls in the county.

Despite himself, Mr. Darcy couldn’t help to watch Ororo as she danced, and laughed with her friends. Something Miss Lucas noticed.

“Mr. Darcy is looking a great deal at you ‘Ro” She told her as she caught one of the looks Darcy cast at Ororo

“I don’t know why, unless it is to fright me with his contempt” Ororo shrugged it off, determined to not let Darcy annoy her further.

Lord Lucas walked around the room, pleased that his guests seemed to enjoy themselves so much. He came to a halt in front of Miss Bingley and Mrs. Hurst. The two ladies had excused themselves from the dance.

“I hope you enjoy yourselves my ladies. I assume you are more acquainted with the assembly in the king’s court.”

“We attend it rarely sir” Emma replied coolly.

“Indeed that surprises me! I will be happy to introduce you there, anytime I am in town” Emma and Tessa shared a quick look, before they curtsied stiffly.

“You are too kind sir”

“Good, good. Capital, capital” Lord Lucas continued on his way.

“Insufferable conceit. To imagine we need his assistance in society” Emma sneered, casting daggered looks at Lord Lucas back. Tessa snickered as they both sat down on the sofa.

“Now there Emma, I am sure he is a good sort of gentleman”

“And I am sure he was a good sort of a swine herder before his elevation into knighthood.”

Lord Lucas did not hear their words or laughter as he came upon the statuesque Mr. Darcy.

“What a fine amusement for young people, isn’t it Darcy?” He asked, looking at the youngest Miss Bennet’s that clearly enjoyed dancing with the young men.

“Nothing is like dancing. One of the refinements in any polished society.

“And in any unpolished society. Every savage can dance” was the curt reply. Lord Lucas could come up with no answer. Just then, Ororo was about to pass them, and he took the opportunity to stop her

“Oh miss ‘Roro, why aren’t you dancing? Mr. Darcy allow me to introduce this young lady to you. She is a very desirable partner. You can’t refuse such a beauty”

Before Mr. Darcy could answer. Ororo cut in.

“Sir, I have not the least intention of dancing. Please don’t assume I walked this way in order to beg for a partner”

“I would be happy if you allowed me to dance with you miss Bennet” came the surprising reply from Mr. Darcy.

Her snow white eyebrows rose at Mr. Darcy’s word, but she caught herself quickly.

“Thank you. But I am not inclined to dancing”

There was a hint of surprise in his eyes, but his features quickly returned to that of cold disdain. Lord Lucas was apparently a bit startled at Ororo’s refusal

“Come now ‘Roro. Mr. Darcy is willing to dance, even though he states that he rarely does that.”

“Mr. Darcy is all polite. I beg you would excuse me.”

She felt a small satisfaction as she walked away even if her refusal was well mannered, considering the way he had refused her twice. She would never dance with that man.

*


The evening ended eventually with most of them feeling that it indeed had been a fine evening. Mrs. Bennet and her daughters were eager to tell Mr. Bennet all which he had missed on the party. Anna-Marie and Julia had danced so much that their feet hurt, and they slumped down on the sofa.

“…and you should have seen the laces on Mrs. Hurst gown!” Mrs. Bennet was telling, excitedly

“No lace, Mrs. Bennet! I beg you!”

Ororo hid her smile behind the lacquered teacup.

“Oh and Jean was so admired by Mr. Bingley. He danced the first two dances with her. Then with ‘Ro, and then with Betsy Lucas, which vexed me greatly, but then he danced with Jean again, and then..”

“Enough, enough! I wished he had sprained his ankle in the first dance!” Mr. Bennet shook his head.

“But you should have seen his friend…Mr. Darcy” his wife’s tone turned from full of excitement to that of contempt.

“Such conceited, arrogant and the most horrid proud man! He refused to dance with ‘Ro!”

“Really? He slighted my ‘Ro?” Mr. Bennet looked at Ororo, who smiled and shook her head

“It mattered little papa, I did not mind him either.”

“Another time ‘Ro, you will refuse him if he should ask for a dance”

“I can safely promise you mama, that I would never dance with Mr Darcy” Ororo replied with a slight smile.

*


At Netherfield, all with the exception of Mr. Bingley, were relived that the evening was over. They reclined in the living room. Mr. Hurst was in a drunken stupor, snoring loudly where he had landed on the sofa.

“So none of the ladies in Hertfordshire could please you Mr. Darcy?” Emma asked, smirking as she sipped on her tea.

“Not even the famous Miss Bennets?” She shared an amused look with her sister

“I have never met more pleasant people, or prettier girls!” Scott said, feeling as always defensive when his sisters picked on people he cared about.

“Bingley, you astonish me. I saw little beauty and no breeding at all.” James told him frankly, but added
“But…the oldest miss Bennet is very pretty I grant you”

“Oh admit it Darcy she’s an angel!”

“She smiles too much” Darcy could find faults in every one.

“Jean Bennet is a sweet girl” Emma admitted, and Tessa nodded in agreement.

“But her mother!” Not even Mr. Bingley could come up with a defensive argument to that statement.

“I hear that Roro Bennet is considered to be the local beauty. What do you say to that Mr. Darcy?”

“I should sooner call her mother a wit” The reply was met with gleeful laughter from the sisters

“Oh you are too wicked Mr. Darcy.” Emma laughed, pleased that she seemed to have misinterpreted the looks Mr. Darcy had sent the dark Miss Bennet
Midnight conversation by Lady Dreamwalker
Back at Longbourn, the Bennet family all had gone up to their bedchambers for the night. As usual, Ororo was in Jean room, sitting on her bed while she watched her beautiful sister brush her hair. In the dancing candlelight, Jeans hair seemed like red gold.

“If I could love a man, that would marry me for only 50 pounds a year, I would be very happy” Ororo said, leaning on the bed pole.

“But that man would be a fool, and I could never love one.”

“A marriage where neither party respects is each other can’t be good” Jean said turning with a frown to Ororo, who smiled ruefully

“Yes and we see proof of that everyday” She tucked a snowy strand behind her ear. Their parents did not give them a good insight into happy marriages. Jean sighed sadly and looked back to the mirror.

“But beggars can not be choosers. As we can’t inherit from father we have to rely on our charm. At least one of us have to marry very rich.” Through the mirror Jean looked at her sister who smiled with a half teasing half serious look back

“And because you are five times prettier than us, I fear that task befalls on you”

“Oh but ‘Ro…” Jean put the brush down and turned, looking doleful

“I wish…I could marry out of love”

“And that you shall!” Ororo stood from the bed, and strode forward to hug her.

“Just make sure that you fall in love with a rich man” Jean joined her in the laughter

“Like Mr. Bingley” As she suspected, Jean blushed at the mention of his name.

“You do like him, don’t you?”

“He is everything a young man ought to be. Sensible, lively and I’ve never seen such happy manners” Jean replied, smiling softly.

“Don’t forget handsome, and he seems to like you very much. He doesn’t seem as stupid as other men you have liked. So you have my permission to fall in love with him” Ororo smiled and rested her chin on Jean’s head and both looked at the mirror. So different in looks, her with her silvery mane of hair and dark complexion, next to Jean’s pale beauty.

“What about you ‘Ro?”

“Me?” She bit her lips, and when she spoke, she sounded more serious than she had done during this conversation

“Nothing less than the deepest love will make me marry”

“So…” At once a smile touched her lips, and amusement lit her eyes

“I shall become an old maid, and teach your ten children how to read and play their instruments very badly”

“Oh ‘Ro I am certain you will find someone”
“Not like your Mr. Bingley”

“He is not my Mr. Bingley…but you approve of him?”

“Of course I do. I just wish he had better friends and family. Well he can’t help his sisters”

“Don’t you like them?” Jean sounded genuinely surprised

“No not at all, their manners were quite ill pleasing”

“Perhaps at first, but after a while I found them very pleasing. Miss Bingley is staying with her brother to take care of the manor. I’m sure we will find them charming neighbors. And even Mr. Darcy may improve on closer acquaintance”

Ororo feigned shock

“You mean he will give consequence to women who have been slighted by other men? Never!” She stood up straight and put up a haughty expression.

“She is tolerable I suppose” Her try at his proud tone failed as she and Jean started laughing.

“But not handsome enough to tempt me

“Oh that was very wrong of him to say “

“Indeed it was. Capital offence!”

Not much more was said on the subject, and soon enough Ororo went back to her own room for a few hours of blissful sleep, until her youngest sister woke her up, excited that they once again had been invited to Lucas Lodge.
Fine eyes by Lady Dreamwalker
The next evening at Lucas Lodge proved to be as entertaining as the former, if you don’t count the opinion of Mr. Bingley’s sisters and his friend. Mrs. Bennet was positively glowing as she stood with some other women and could gloat over her oldest daughter’s fortune.

“Yes five thousand a year! And don’t they look beautiful together? A most agreeable young man. And he would dance every dance with Jean nothing else would do!” The women nodded grudgingly and looked at were Jean and Scott was talking.

Anna-Marie and Julia had of course found some handsome officers with whom they had great fun with. Lord Lucas had invited a few from the regiment that had been stationed in Meryton. Colonel Forester was more than happy to let himself, his wife and some officers enjoy the company offered.

Theresa Bennet had taken it upon herself to play the piano forte. She was decent with the instrument, and it was a good tune she was playing that allowed her younger sisters to dance with the handsome officers.

James Darcy, stood as usual by himself looking with cold disdain at the assembly. He was clearly the odd one out, as no one would try to approach him. Lord Lucas tried to start a conversation, but as it mostly was one sided, he finally excused himself. It stood plain that Darcy did not enjoy himself. He would stand stoic at the far end of the room, not accepting any drink or food. But now and then his gaze would travel to Miss Ororo, currently talking to her friend Betsy. It was not easy to tell what he was thinking while he watched her. No one would ask him if they should notice.

“I see Mr. Bingley is continuing with his attention to Jean” Betsy observed in a matter of fact tone.

“Yes I’m very happy for her Betsy” Ororo smiled at the couple, who seemed to notice no one but themselves.

“She seems very much pleased with him”

“If he continues with this, she might very well fall in love with him”

“Oh and Mr.Bingley? Do you think he is in love?” Betsy looked at Jean and Scott and back to Ororo with a sly expression. Ororo nodded slowly

“It would seem he likes her very much”

“Then she should leave him no doubt about her heart. She should show him evenmore affection than she feels if she would to secure him” Her friend said, and ‘Ro raised a snowy eyebrow in surprise.

“Secure him?!” She asked incredulously

“Yes! She should secure him as soon as may be” Betsy answered as it was the most natural thing.

“Before she is sure of his character, before she is even sure about her feelings about him?”

“Of course! Happiness in marriage is entirely a matter of chance you know. There will always be vexation and grief. It is better to know as little as possible about the defects about your marriage partner” Ororo couldn’t help but laugh at this logic and shook her head.

“You would not act like that”

“It is clear Jean does not. So let’s hope Mr. Bingley will. He gets little assistance from his sisters”

“Or his friend” Ororo added, and looked where Darcy stood. Their eyes met at that moment when he was looking at her. She could not fathom his expression. Why was he looking at her when he had made it clear she was so beneath him? However she would not let him believe she felt intimidated by him. So she stood straight and looked evenly back at him, a slight curve on her lips that suggested either a smile or challenge. His expression did not change, but finally he looked away. Not in defeat, it seemed he merely was bored by her. Betsy looked at this silent display between her friend and that unsociable man, but did not voice her mind.

“Poor Darcy…what agony he must be suffering” Emma told her sister who nodded sympathetically. Emma excused herself and made her way to the lone man. He was again looking at the direction of Miss Bennet, now talking to the colonel.

“I know what you are thinking” Emma said with a knowing smile and placed her pale hands on his shoulders. He did not look at her.

“I should imagine not”
¨
“You must be thinking how insupportable it would be to spend many evening in such hideous company”

“No indeed, my mind was on something more agreeable. Like what a pleasure it is looking into a pair of fine eyes on the face of a pretty woman”

Emma’s grip on his shoulder tensed momentarily and she began to flutter her long eyelashes at him

“And may I dare ask whose eyes inspired this reflection?”

“Miss Ororo Bennet” He answered with no hesitation. She removed her hands and took a step back. Her smile and tone turned frosty

“Miss Ororo Bennet? You astonish me James”
Plans by Lady Dreamwalker
Next day, we find the Bennet family seated around the table for lunch. It was not a quiet affair with five daughters and wife. The two youngest and especially the wife would not be quiet for long moments. This day at dinner however gave the reason to be excited. Their old maid came with a letter addressed to Jean.

“It’s from Netherfield” She said, and began to open the envelope

“From Netherfield? Give me that!” Mrs. Bennet leapt from the table and snatched the letter from Jean.

“It is from Emma Bingley! She invites you to dine with her and Tessa!” She read excitedly

“But the gentlemen are out hunting? Oh that’s vexing! But still you must go! It’s signed Yours ever, Emma Bingley. Very elegant hand” Moira Bennet positively glowed with smug satisfaction.

“Can I take the carriage father?” Jean asked her father, and he nodded his assent

“The carriage? No indeed! You must go on horseback. It looks like rain and then you will have to stay the night!”

“Mother!” Jean exclaimed shocked

“What? Would you go to Netherfield without seeing Mr. Bingley? No indeed! You will take Nellie, that will be very well indeed”

Jean looked at her father. But he just threw up his hands, showing he had no say in this.

*


And so it became. Jean rode on the black mare in the rain her mother had predicted. She arrived at the splendid manor, soaking wet and miserable. Emma and Tessa did not hide their disgust well. They leant her dry clothes and she was sitting shivering with a blanket around her in the dining room while the ladies had a warm soup. Emma and Tessa shared looks, but in their way they tried to be pleasant and asked Jean about her family. That the girl did not belong to a rich or even noble family become painfully clear. She had an uncle that was an attorney, which was far from acceptable in Miss Bingley and Mrs Hurst eyes. Jean tried her best to be cheerful, but she was cold, and her head was pounding. Netherfield was indeed a beautiful manor. The dining room itself had golden chandeliers, rich carpets, and heavy furniture. The food was excellent, but she couldn’t make her self take more than a few spoons when the room suddenly span.

“Get help. Miss Bennet is unwell” Emma ordered a servant and then looked heavenward while Tessa sighed.

*


Next day Ororo was staring out through the window at the dark sky. The rain had eased, but it could be pouring down again easily in moments. Usually the rain made her feel at peace, but not now. She worried about her sister at the mercy of Mr. Bingley’s sisters. She did not trust them to take care of Jean. Even if Jean trusted them, she herself knew they would only show false sympathy and caring as long as it pleased them. Her mother was content, sitting and knitting.

“See ‘Ro? It goes exactly as I planned!” she told smugly.

“Well my dear. If Jean should die, you should be happy to know it was in pursuit of Mr. Bingley and on your orders! Mr. Bennet told his wife tartly

“Oh nonsense! People don’t die of a little cold!”

“I have to go to Netherfield” Ororo stated

“To Netherfield! Why in earth? Jean is very well where she is. And there is nothing for you in Netherfield. You should follow your sisters to Meryton and meet the officers”

“I know Jean wishes me to be with her”

“I will send for the carriage” Her father said while his wife shot daggered looks at them

“No father, I would rather walk. It is not far and I will be back for dinner”

“Walk three miles in all that mud? I will not hear of it. You will not be fit to be seen!”

“I will be fit to be seen by Jean. I have made up my mind” And that was it. Mrs. Bennet knew that once Ororo set her mind to it, no one could persuade her. So grudgingly she saw her daughter leave.
At Netherfield by Lady Dreamwalker
The clouds seem to be disappearing, and she could spot more and more of the blue sky as she walked towards Netherfield. Her spirit was lifted now that she was going to see Jean and make sure her sister was well. Her mother was right again by the mud. As she was walking, the hem of her skirt and petticoats got caked in it. But she did not mind it one bit. As usual she removed her bonnet and let her hair free from the pins. It felt as always good to be out in the free nature, alone with her thoughts. She still worried about Jean of course, but she felt more at ease just to be outside, even with the threatening clouds. She lifted her skirts and climbed over a fence, jumping down, she landed with in a shallow hole, the mud splashing all the way up to the waist of her white gown. She laughed and could imagine the look on her mothers face if should see her now. She tried to dry some off with her bonnet and continued her way. Netherfield came into view, as splendid as ever. Red and white, the manor rose, surrounded by the carefully tended park with ponds and gravel paths. Now you could se it was inhabited. Horses could be heard from the stables, and servants were about on the grounds. She halted at an old apple tree to try and make herself more presentable. But she knew that even if she had been wearing jewels and a gown fitting a queen, Mr. Bingley’s sisters and his friend would still find faults with her. Sighing a little, she tried to wipe off the mud from her boots against the tree trunk. And at just that moment, with her skirts hiked up, revealing mud stained petticoats and kicking at the tree, Mr. Darcy showed up.

“Miss Bennet…” Oh Lord. She could have kicked herself. Or him for that matter for that startled half amused look he wore.

“Mr. Darcy” She replied as composed as she could, while letting her skirts down and straightening up. She managed a curtsy.

“I am here to enquire about my sister “

“On foot” The hateful man seemed like he was trying not to laugh, and he looked…truly looked her over. To her windswept hair, tracing the mud stains on her dress.

“As you can see” The shill in her voice did not go unnoticed, and his lips quirked ever so slightly

“Will you be so kind as take me to her?” She surprised herself with that question. But it would be the most proper thing to do as they already were introduced. That she loathed him was not important when he could take her to see Jean. Wordlessly, he signed for her to follow him.

Later, when she on the curtsey of miss Bingley and Mrs Hurst had changed into a clean, and well fitting cream colored dress she was finally lead to the bedchamber Jean laid. She hurried to Jean’s side, where she lie beneath thick covers. The bed was made of fine heavy oak. The blue bed curtains were pulled back, to give Jean air and light from the high windows. When Ororo gently sat down on the bed and took Jean’s warm hand in hers, her sister turned to her, fluttering eyes opening to regard her with a faint smile. Her red hair was laying about, damp from the fever.

“’Ro..” Ororo stroke her hot cheek, and smiled, trying not to show her worry.

“I am here Jean. Sleep now and be better” She assured the fevered young woman, who relaxed and succumbed to her tiered body’s need.

*


“Well you must admit her to be an excellent walker” Tessa sniffed as she put back the jar of cream and sipped on her tea. Emma snorted.

“I suppose” She agreed, casting a look at James that stood at the window. They had just finished their lunch, and relaxing with a cup of tea. Sebastian was on his probably third helping of the dinner, so the servants had not yet cleaned the table for them. Mr Bingley looked at his sisters with annoyance.

“But her appearance this morning! She looked almost wild!” Tessa continued

“What does she mean scampering about the countryside because her sister has a cold?!” Clearly this was a truly foreign notion for the sisters.

“Her hair Tessa!”

“And her petticoats! Perhaps you saw her petticoats brother” Tessa looked at Scott

“Six inches deep in mud I am absolutely certain”

“I thought she looked remarkably well!” Scott replied

“You must have observed it James, I am sure” Emma smiled. Mr. Darcy turned to her with his usual stoic demeanor.

“I did”

“You would not want to see your sister in such state”

“Certainly not”

“It seems to me, that Miss Bennet would like to show…some sort of conceited independence” Emma concluded and Tessa nodded her agreement vigorously

“It shows she cares for her sister, which is very pleasing” Scott quickly defended Ms. Bennet.

“Am I right to think that this escapade has affected your admiration of her fine eyes, James?”

“Not at all. They were brightened by the exercise” This statement from Mr. Darcy brought an abrupt halt to the sisters critizism of Miss. Bennet. Mortified Emma looked away and her triumphant smile vanished.

“But Jean Bennet is a sweet girl. It is so sad she has such unfortunate family, with poor connection” Tessa tried to lift the spirit around the table. Emma gladly joined in.

“There is an uncle she told us, he is in trade and lives in Cheapside!”

“Perhaps we should call, when we are next in town” Tessa and Emma laughed heartily at their own joke.

“They would be just as agreeable to me if they had uncles enough to fill whole Cheapside” Scott retorted annoyed

“With such connections, they would have little chance to marry well, Bingley. That is the material point” Mr. Darcy added. Just then the door opened, a servant allowing Ororo to enter. Scott immediately rose and bowed to her.

“Miss Bennet! How does your sister do? Is she better?”

“I am afraid she is quite unwell Mr. Bingley.”

“Let me send after Mr. Jones. You must stay until your sister is better” He offered her readily. Across the table, Emma shared a pained look with her sister.

“I would not wish to be inconvenient sir” Ororo felt the unfriendly gazes from Mr. Bingley’s sisters. She was loath to overstay her welcome, but Mr. Bingley she felt was sincere in his hospitability.

“I will have it no other way. I’ll send a servant to fetch your clothes from Longbourn.

No more was said on the matter. Emma and Tessa had to accept it. Later the day, the gentlemen went out hunting. Ororo stayed with her sister, doing what she could to make it comfortable for Jean. She was avoiding being alone with Miss Bingley and Mrs. Hurst. But when evening came, she had to join them. Dressed as well as she could in her finest gown, she pinned up her braid and turned from the mirror to look at Jean, who smiled at her.

“There will I disgrace you now, you think?”

“You look very pretty ‘Ro, as you are well aware” Jean answered with a smile.

“Oh Jean. I would much rather stay here with you” Ororo went to her sisters side and hugged her.

“The superior sister wishes me miles away. It is only your Mr. Bingley that is civil and attentive”

“He is not my Mr. Bingley” Still Jean blushed, and tried to hide her smile

“Oh I think he is” Ororo replied and stroke a strand of hair from Jeans face

“Or he very soon will be” She whispered, and kissed Jean on her cheek.

*


She had some trouble finding her way in the large manor, even when a servant gave her directions to the hall. She entered the wrong door and came upon Mr. Darcy playing pool by himself. He had lain off his jacket. The white shirt contrasted well with his tanned skin, showing his strong arms were he had pushed up the sleeves of his shirt. His dark hair fell over his forehead when he bent over the table with the cue. He looked up just then, startled grey eyes meeting hers. Her heart skipped a beat. He gave her a solemn bow. Not knowing what to make of her reaction, she turned and fled. Darcy watched for a while after her, and then proceeded to play.
The accomplishment of women by Lady Dreamwalker
She found her way to the luxurious dining hall. Mr. Bingley and his sisters and Mr. Hurst were playing at cards around a round table. In this Mr. Hurst excelled, and for every good card he got, he drank from the brandy.

“Oh Mr. Darcy come and assist me, I am no match for Mr. Hurst” Emma simpered. Darcy was not particularly interested in the game. He walked to the sofa were Ororo sat, reading a book.

“May I enquire about your sister?” He asked her, standing straight. She lifted her gaze from the page and regarded him.

“I thank you. I believe she is a little bit better”

“I’m glad to hear it.” Was his reply, and he walked away, leaving her puzzled. She went back to the book, while behind her, Emma protested loudly about Mr. Hurst’s winning.

“He has outdone us all, Mr. Darcy!”

“Will you join us Miss Bennet?” Tessa asked pleasantly, smiling.

“Thank you but no”

“Do you prefer reading to cards, dear? Tssh. Strange girl” Sebastian snorted

“Miss Bennet despises cards, is a great reader and takes no pleasure in anything else” Emma explained, giggling with her sister.

“You are mistaken I assure you. I am not a great reader and take pleasure in many things” Ororo answered as pleasantly as she could manage. Emma pursed her lips.

“And what do you do so secretly sir?” She instead asked Mr. Darcy that had seated himself in front of a desk, writing a letter.

“It is no secret. I am writing to my sister.”

“Oh the dear Kitty” Emma acknowledged with a smile

“Oh I long to see her. Is she much grown since the spring? Is she as tall as me?” She giggled. Ororo sighed inaudibly.

“She is about Miss Ororo Bennet’s height” Darcy answered without taking his eyes from the letter. Ororo looked at him. Why did he bring her into the conversation?

Emma did a valiant try to sound cheerful

“She is so accomplished. Her performance at the piano forte is excellent! Do you play Miss Bennet?” For others, Emma’s interest in Ororo could seem like a polite thing. But ‘Ro could feel the other woman’s cold disapproval.

“I do, but very ill indeed” Ororo confessed, which made the sisters start sniggering.

“All the young ladies are accomplished” Scott exclaimed

“They sing, they draw, and they dance. Speak both French and German and I don’t know what else!” His sisters nodded smiling, as they have learned all these important things.

“There isn’t a half a dozen of those who I would call accomplished” James joined the conversation

“No sir” Emma agreed

“No woman can really be called accomplished who does not also possess a certain something in her air, in her manner of walking, in the tone of her voice, her gesture and expression” Tessa nodded at all these points Emma made. Emma was looking at Ororo, her expression clearly showing that Ororo lacked all of this.

“And to all this you must yet add something more substantial” Darcy replied. Ororo looked at him, certain he would add something that he deemed she lacked.

“An improvement of her mind by extensive reading”

Was that a compliment? From him directed at her? Never, she smiled though nonetheless.

“It is no surprise that you only know six accomplished women, Mr. Darcy. I rather wonder if you know any” She answered his statement. Darcy looked her way, but she turned the page of the book.

“You are very severe upon your own sex Miss. Bennet. Maybe you lack the advantage of moving in society at large. We know many very accomplished women” The scorn in Emma’s voice could not be mistaken. Darcy was silently watching Ororo as she seemed to try control her anger.

“I would think she is teasing Mr. Darcy” Scott said with an anxious smile.

“Tease Mr. Darcy? Impossible. He is a man without faults” Emma laughed.

Ororo looked from Emma to Mr. Darcy

“Is he indeed…a man without faults” He regarded her calmly, unruffled by their mild teasing.

“That is not possible for anyone. But I try to avoid those weaknesses that would expose you to ridicule” Darcy answered solemnly.

“Such as vanity perhaps and pride?” Ororo challenged, her blue eyes glittering. He seemed to think on his answer.

“Yes vanity is a weakness…but pride. A superior mind can always control pride. I have faults enough Miss. Bennet but I hope they are not of understanding. My temper I can not vouch for. I might be called resentful. My good opinion once lost is lost forever”

“That is a failure indeed and I won’t laugh at it” Ororo admitted and James added

“I believe every one has a tendency to do evil”

“And your defect is having a tendency to hate every one”

“And yours is to willfully to misunderstand them” Darcy retorted.

Emma had watched their verbal war, and could not stand the looks they shared. She had known Darcy enough to recognize he enjoyed this parrying with Miss Bennet, even if the young lady did not see that.

“Shall we have some music?” She put in, and rushed to the piano.
Invasion of Bennet's by Lady Dreamwalker
The next morning a carriage pulled up in front of Netherfield. Emma stepped back from the high windows, apparently vexed

“Now the mother and the other sisters are here. Are we to be invaded by every Bennet in the countryside?” She spat exasperated.

True enough, they had barely composed enough before the door opened to admit Mrs. Bennet and four of her girls trailing behind her. Scott instantly rose from his chair and bowed.

“Mrs. Bennet! You are most welcome. I hope you did not find your daughter worse than you expected” He had underestimated Mrs. Bennet. She looked very anxious and wrung her hands in apparent distress. Her voice too was pitched in her apparent worry.

“Indeed I do sir! She is very ill and suffering greatly!” Of her tone, you would think Jean was dying. Ororo shut her eyes briefly. Dear Lord.

“Even though she has the greatest patience in the world, because she has the sweetest temper Mr. Bingley, I am afraid she is a great too ill to be moved. We must trespass a bit longer on your kindness” The nerve of her mother! But Ororo could say nothing.

“But of course!” Bingley consented.

“Miss Bennet will receive every possible attention, madam” Emma forced out and Tessa nodded.
“You are very good” Mrs. Bennet complimented, and then looked around the fine room.

“Oh well…you have a very sweet room here! I think you never want to leave Netherfield now?” She commented, now her tone entirely different

“I should be happy to live in the countryside forever!” Scott agreed earnestly. Mrs. Bennet beamed at him, but her features turned sour when Scott asked Mr. Darcy what he thought about living in the countryside.

“I would find the society confining and a bit unvaryingly Bingley”

“Confined and unvaryingly? Indeed it is not!” Mrs. Bennet answered angrily, her voice rising.

“The country is vastly more pleasant than the city, whatever you may say about it” She continued. Mr. Darcy did not reply, and Mrs. Bennet sniffed, walking stiffly around and then sat without a by your leave on the chair Mr. Bingley recently had occupied.

“Mama you misunderstand Mr. Darcy’s meaning” Ororo tried to smoothen things over. Her mother would hear none of it

“Do I? Do I? He seems to think the country as nothing at all!”

“Mama!” Ororo whispered, trying to get her mother to calm down.

“Confined! I will let him know that we dine with four and twenty families!” Her mother continued. Behind them, Emma and Tessa snorted contemptuously, but tried unsuccessfully to stifle it.
Desperate to change the subject, Ororo asked about her friend

“Have you met Betsy Lucas when I’ve been away?”

“Indeed, she called yesterday with Sir William” Her mother nodded, and then cast a glance at Mr. Darcy

“What an agreeable man he is. That is my idea of good breeding. And those persons who consider themselves very important and never open their mouths quite mistake the matter!”

Ororo wanted to sink through the floor. Anna-Marie stepped forward, eager to ask something from Mr. Bingley

“I was just wondering if you remembered that you promised to give us a ball.” She asked hopefully

“It would be very ill if you took back that promise”

Scott lit up, happy to change the subject

“I have not forgotten it Miss. Bennet, and as soon as your sister is well enough, you can set the date!” This generous offer went well with the youngest Bennet sisters that started giggling, and whispering.

“Oh there Anna-Marie!” Mrs. Bennet squealed delightedly

“That’s generosity for you! That is what I call gentlemanly behavior” Her last barb flung at Mr. Darcy, she was smugly satisfied.

*


Mrs. Bennet and her youngest daughters did not stay long. Ororo stayed the few days it took Jean to recover. She never noticed Mr. Darcy much unless during the evenings. But whenever he had the chance, he observed her when she walked around the grounds, talking to the servants, or playing with the dogs. Emma was becoming more and more infuriated by this, and the morning when Jean and Ororo left Netherfield to finally return to Longbourn, was not soon enough.

“Finally!” She sighed at her sister. They had said their short farewell to the Bennet sisters, and watched from inside, down on their brother as he took farewell of Jean. He had leant the sisters a carriage, and even if Ororo sat next to Jean, Scott did not seem to notice her. Jean was still a bit weak, but strong enough to ride home.

“Give your parents my greetings. And tell your father he is welcome to hunt with us any time you please! Scott told Jean

“Thank you sir, you are very kind” Jean replied, blushing and smiling. Scott smiled radiantly in return

“Well...goodbye!”

“Goodbye” Jean whispered, and leaned to watch him as the carriage lurched forward. He waved at them.

“Oh Jean. I am sorry to say it, but not counting on your excellent Mr. Bingley, I have never been so pleased to leave a place in my entire life!” Ororo admitted. Jean hugged her and they laughed, both glad to be on their way home.

A few floors above, Mr. Darcy was standing like a statue, watching the carriage disappearing from view.

“It is so good to have the house by ourselves again” Emma sighed contently, but then cast a daggered look at Mr. Darcy

“But I think Mr. Darcy is mourning the loss of Miss ‘Roro Bennet’s snide remarks and fine eyes?”

“Quite the contrary I assure you” He calmly replied, still staring out the window at the road the carriage went by.
Another new acquaintance by Lady Dreamwalker
A few days after the visit to Netherfield, we find Ororo walking down the cobbled street in Merryton, in a slow walk, accompanied by Jean and Theresa. The younger sisters, Anna-Marie and Julia had dashed ahead to look at a new bonnet that the hat maker had on display on her shop window. It was another fine day, only a few wispy clouds marked the sky. There was really no need to wear a cloak, but the girls had obliged their mothers fretting as she was terribly afraid they’d catch a cold and die on her. Ororo had the hood down, and let her white her hand loose around the shoulders. She never liked the confining feeling she got from the hood, or bonnets. Jean dutifully had her hood up, and her hair carefully pinned up. She looked radiant as always, and there weren’t a few men that looked her way when they made their stroll down the street. She never acknowledged their looks, because she was in many ways naïve and couldn’t believe that they would find her that pretty. Of course that naivety was considered one of her many fine qualities. Ororo on the other hand, when she saw someone looking at her with shy admiration, had the cynic thought that they just looked at her because she looked different. She never felt flattered. Men in her opinion were like babes with trinkets. If they see something shiny, they want it, and then it looses its appeal once they got it. Jean would become a wonderful wife to anyone, because she would never demand anything. But she herself would drive the poor man mad. That she never answered a man’s advances wasn’t looked upon as favorably as in Jeans case. Ororo had something foreign…that women shouldn’t possess. Intelligence. You could see that in her strange eyes, that she was thinking far too much. Women didn’t need that sort of a burden. They have far too much to manage the home and children. Apparently a thinking woman couldn’t become a dutiful wife.

“Here it is! Jean! ‘Ro! Come see! Wouldn’t it suit me much better than Julia?” Anna-Marie impatiently beckoned to her older sisters to come and look at the pretty bonnet.

“I saw it first! It’s mine” Julia protested indignantly. It was hard to believe she was older than Anna-Marie. Ororo and Jean came forward, to look at the bonnet in the window the younger sisters pointed out. It looked simple enough, white with pretty flowers on and a pink ribbon.

“It’s too expensive, you can’t afford it” Ororo said at once when she saw the price.

“It looks too simple to cost that much!” Jean sounded shocked.

“Of course we can afford it! Papa always complains, but we have much more than he let us know! I’ll ask mama and she will let me buy it.” As always Anna-Marie sounded so confident. But they all knew that their mother tried to give her anything she wanted. Ororo knew their finances were if not outright poor, but not so well they could afford buying anything her spoiled sister wanted. She helped her father with bookkeeping, and knew how difficult it was to keep it balanced. Jean understood their situation, but Anna-Marie and Julia, and even Theresa did not. Not even their mother. Mrs. Bennet would nag at her husband to give her money for anything, and he’d give it to her just to keep her quiet.

“You will not!” She was about to say more, as her anger rose at her foolish younger sister, when something caught their attention. Julia nudged Anna-Marie and pointed.

“Oh look there is Bobby” Anna- Marie pointed at a man dressed in red and white regiments, talking to a tall man.

“Who is that with him? He is handsome” Julia mused

“He would be if he wore regimentals. A man is nothing without regiments” Anna-Marie decided, and then as the two men looked up, she smiled and waved at them

“Bobby over here” Anna-Marie shouted

“Marie! For goodness sake!” Jean whispered.

The other man, did indeed look handsome, as Julia said, even if he didn’t wore the regiments uniform. He wore white breeches, green jacket and brown long coat. A tall black hat was on his head. He looked like a gentleman sure enough, but there was something odd with his eyes. When he came closer, the sisters almost gasped. Red on black eyes…how utterly odd. But then, they knew of people looking even stranger. Ororo for instance, and then their priest that looked so much as a devil that he’d had a difficult time to convince people of his calling when he first had arrived in Hertfordshire. Now, they all confided in him, and no one doubted his gentle soul. There was no explanation to the strange appearances some people possessed. In some places, they were hunted and persecuted, but that had since long time been prohibited in England. Why they even say that someone in the Royal family had wings and could fly! Ororo doubted he could fly, but still she imagined that with longing. What a wonder it would be if you could fly! To move with the winds so high up in the sky. It was a silly daydream, that she allowed herself to indulge in sometimes when she was alone. She could pretend that she could control the winds, and make them lift her up. And sometimes she even thought she was able to, when suddenly a mild breeze would pick up around her, when it had been calm before. But she always shrugged it off as vivid imagination.

“What a fine joke. We thought you were still in town!” The youngest miss Bennet said to the young officer

“There was nothing amusing enough to hold us there. Allow me to introduce my good friend. Remy Wickham” Bobby nodded at the tall man that gave a elegant bow, as the younger officer proceeded to introduce the sisters to him. He even remembered Theresa's name.

“Will you stay long in Merryton?” Ororo enquired. Mr Wickham gave her a pleasant smile and bowed again.

“All winter I have to say. I have taken a commission in Colonel Forester’s regiment” Remy answered.

“There Anna-Marie, he will be dressed in regimentals” Julia giggled with her younger sister.

Mr Wickham smiled, while Bobby laughed outright

“And lend them much distinction I dare say. He will certainly out swagger us all, eh Wickham?”

“Please Robert, you give the ladies the wrong impression about me”

“Will you come with us to Aunt Phillips this evening? Bobby is coming. There will be dinner and card play and we usually have a laugh.” Anna-Marie asked. Mr. Wickham looked surprised and looked at the older Miss Bennet’s.

“I am afraid I haven’t been invited by Mr. and Mrs. Phillips.”

“Oh no one cares about that now days!” The youngest miss Bennet sniffed.

“If The Phillips extend their invitation to me, I will be delighted” Remy steadfast and earned an approving smile from Ororo. He was a man with principles, and seemed honorable, not to fall for her younger sisters disregard for customs. He made a very good first impression. Polite and sincere. His smile was heartwarming and seemed genuine. Despite his devil eyes, she found herself liking him. At that moment, two riders came into view. Looking up, she saw Mr. Scott Bingley and James Darcy. Her smile vanished upon seeing the insufferable conceited man. Scott brightened up upon seeing the sisters, especially Jean and swung down from his horse.

“How very fortunate! We were just on our way to Longbourn to inquire about your health” he beamed at Jean. Jean smiled sweetly and blushed.

“You are very kind sir. I am quite recovered as you can see”

James was about to dismount when he froze. Ororo observed as his features turned cold when he noticed Mr. Wickham. Remy watched Mr. Darcy calmly, before offering a small bow. Mr. Darcy didn’t move a muscle, just looked at the other man with eyes that could freeze the blood in your veins and then turned the horse, riding away.

“Yes I am very happy to hear that” Scott smiled at Jean

“I still hope you will come to Longbourn for some tea” Jean offered

“I shall be very happy Miss Bennet!”

Mr. Bingley followed his rude friend, and the sisters took farewell of the young officers, looking forward to meeting them later in the evening at their Aunt Phillips.

*


When they returned to Longbourn, they weren’t surprised by meeting their greatly upset Mother.

“Girls, where have you been? No no, don’t answer, go on and get dressed, we are having a visit from a distant cousin to your father! Oh this is most vexing! We never heard from him until this letter arrived. I am certain he heard about us only having daughters and as he seems to be the closests male relative, he will inherit from your father. He wrote he wanted to meet us and be aquainted. Pah! He just wants to see the property, and he comes soon. I had to arrange for the dinner all by myself. A clergyman he says. Victor Collins. Well? What are you standing there for? Hurry up! Do you want him to see you in that state and think we all are poor unwashed peasants?”

The sisters fled, to do their mothers bidding, while being curious of this distant relative of theirs. They didn’t have much time to ask their parents. When they had finished dressing, and got their mothers approval, they heard the carriage stopping by. Properly lined up at the door, they followed Mr. and Mrs. Bennet to greet Victor Collins.
This story archived at http://https://rolorealm.com/viewstory.php?sid=1376