It was a beautiful day in Hertfordshire. Soft white clouds drifted lazily on the brilliant sky. The midday sun stood high, but gave a pleasant warmth. After weeks of relentless rain, cold weather and fog that hid the sun, this day felt like a blessing. Miss Bennet had gone out, despite her mothers complains. A lady should not go out like a commoner and destroy her pale complexion. Ororo had laughed at that, earning a indignant snort from her mother. She had untied her bonnet and let heir hair fall freely down her back. The mild winds played with the strands and she closed her eyes, turned her face to the sun, imagined that it kissed her.

Her mother would be scandalized if she saw her now. She had kicked off her shoes to feel the soft emerald green grass between her toes. She was at her favorite place. The green hills above Netherfield Park. It gave a wonderful view of this beautiful mansion, with it’s surroundings. Netherfield was the largest estate in this county, and many wondered when it would be inhabited again. It was a shame that a grand place as that would stay empty.

She smiled a little when she remembered how two of her younger sisters had talked about what a blessing it would be if a handsome young man of a large fortune would move in, and take one of them as his wife. But now their minds were filled with romantic notions about the officers that had come to Mereton, just a half an hour walk from Longbourn. Ororo herself was a sensible enough woman that didn’t let her mind wander to such trivial matters.

Although she wasn’t like her sister Theresa who sniffed contemptuously whenever young men, dancing and other such happy subjects came up at the afternoon tea, but she didn’t let it occupy her mind completely as Anna and Julia did. Her father often did say, and that in front of all his five daughters and wife that Ororo was the most sensible of the women surrounding him. He was a straight forward man someway beyond his middle years. His wit was sharp. It was not that he was insensitive to others feelings, but he was a man of his word and often told what was on his mind, in the most vexing tones according to his lady. Mrs. Bennet was a demanding woman. Younger than her husband but much more frail and of delicate health. Her wit was not like her husband. In fact, she hardly seemed to have any, something Mr. Bennet was wise enough to not tell in her presence. It amazed their daughters how a couple with such a different nature as those two even could live under the same roof. There seemed to be little love and little respect shared between their mother and father.

Ororo didn’t let the thought about her mother and father disturb her now on this fine day. She picked up her sturdy shoes, tying the laces so she could hold them, dandling when she resumed her stroll. It smelled of spring and happy promises. Few understood why she went for this solitary walks. Not even Jean, her dearest sister and friend. Unlike her mother and younger siblings, Jean didn’t berate her for this wild walks. Even if the eldest and most beautiful Miss Bennet didn’t understand why Ororo went out alone, she was content with knowing it did good for her ‘Ro. The wind played with the trees that had started budding. Wild apple and chestnuts grew here, and would when their flowers bloom fill the air with their sweet scent. Trees and bushed grew thicker around here, she knew this path as it led to a pond. As Netherfield was uninhabited she saw no harm in visiting it’s ground. The pond was a nice solitary spot where, when she was younger she had caught tadpoles and studied the insects. Low hanging branches tugged at her hair, but she merely smiled and shook it off.

A strange sound made her halt, and she looked up startled to se a tall black horse teetered against a trunk of a willow. The stallion was grazing lazily, lifted up his proud head to appraise her. He seemed to think of her as of little importance and resumed his grazing. Ororo stared. What on earth? She did not recognize the stallion. The saddle was left on him, and boots and a bundle she guessed where clothes had been placed at the tree. She didn’t know anyone else that used to go here. She took another step, and once again halted as someone broke the surface of the pond. Her breath caught in her throat and she gasped softly.

A man emerged and he began to walk up from the pond. He had dark hair, flatten by the water and that reached down to his shoulders. A fine carved face, it seemed hard and arrogant. A strong chin and straight nose. She blushed when she noticed his bare chest. Wet from the bath, it seemed chiseled, sculpted. Hard muscles that told of strong arms and wide shoulders. Thank the lord he wore breeches. Her eyes went up back to his face and suddenly she was held by his blue cold eyes.

“Who in the devils name are you, and what are you doing here?”





You must login () to review.