Flight Into Your Arms by Storms_rose
Summary: The friendship that could never be more becomes more but happiness is fleeting. Can the reason Ororo and Logan split up be the reason they come back together? There are adult themes and actions but not throughout the whole story...
Categories: General Characters: None
Genres: Romance, Action, Comedy
Warnings: Violence
Challenges:
Series: None
Chapters: 17 Completed: No Word count: 56201 Read: 19891 Published: 02-11-08 Updated: 02-10-09

1. Jet Dreams by Storms_rose

2. Falling Dreams by Storms_rose

3. Confessional Sex by Storms_rose

4. And all the little birds flew home by Storms_rose

5. Could Logan be... by Storms_rose

6. Could Ororo be... by Storms_rose

7. So that's how we met. by Storms_rose

8. A Home at the Edge of the World by Storms_rose

9. A Thousand Sighs by Storms_rose

10. The Endless Hello, No More Goodbyes by Storms_rose

11. FIGHT! by Storms_rose

12. It Ain’t A Party Until Someone Loses an Eye Prt 1 by Storms_rose

13. It Ain’t A Party Until Someone Loses an Eye Prt 2 by Storms_rose

14. A Ying and A Yang by Storms_rose

15. The Moon’s Cha Cha Chiro Prt 1 by Storms_rose

16. The Moon’s Cha Cha Chiro Prt 2 by Storms_rose

17. Fer Crying Out Loud, It’s Just a Fancy Name For Dance by Storms_rose

Jet Dreams by Storms_rose
Symbols:
*...italics...*= thoughts
"...." = speaking
(In a phone conversation) ... = a pause for the person on the other side of the line to speak.

Disclaimer: I don't own any rights to any Marvel characters. Please don't sue me, I'm not poor but it reallllllly wouldn't be worth your effort. PLUS, how the hell is it that I'm the only one getting sued up in here????!!!

NOTE TO THA READER: This is definitely a Ororo/Logan luv fic with who knows what kind of other elements to it. Actually to tell you the truth...I don't know where this is going but I will definitely finish it. Review it please so I know how you guys feel about it. Trust me I know everyone luvs to be appreciated for their hard work so tell me the good, the bad, but leave out the ugly. I could do without.
:D!!!

CHAPTER ONE
She liked flying. It was exhilarating, freeing, and something close to dieing in the fact that it was a once in a sea of lifetimes gift; but only she was allowed to return to the living, earth shackled people to tell them of how it felt. To soar above the clouds of meaningless lives naked to any emotion save freedom.
To actually say that she liked flying was the understatement of the year, no, millennia.
Ororo closed her eyes to sink into the bliss of air in its most basic, coolest, cleanest form washing over her body. Her hair was a living silver snake whipping viciously with its fangs bared behind her in a loose French braid with a long ponytail left over. She had been wearing a multi coloured wool robe but it had been lost…somewhere?

*Do I even care???…Let’s take a few moments to think about that…no. *

She laughed off-handily at her own joke. Laughing like that had become a sad habit. She rarely found others outside her X men “group” to even rustle an interest in her, much less find humorous, so she was stuck with her own jokes until everyone returned.

But Remy and Rogue had run off to Switzerland for a much deserved vacation, Scott and Jean following in their footsteps to the Bahamas while Pietro had decided to take the young charges of Kitty, Jubilee, and Bobby to his homeland of Russia; while most of the other students had gone to their respective homes for summer vacation.
Leaving mainly Ororo, Logan, Professor Charles, and those few students with no homes to return to alone in the mansion/school.
Ororos’ eyebrows of pristine white shot down into a crease at the last thought that had been running through her head. Why had Logan been sticking around of late?? She thought he had gotten a big lead from one of Charles “sources” but that had been over two weeks ago and he had yet to act on it.

Ororo thought back to a conversation she hadn’t meant to overhear but it was between staying hidden in Charles’ coat closet to keep from being the first taster of Bobby and Jubilee’s newest frozen kitchen creation or reveal herself in the undignified cramped position she was in.
Her pride had rode her to take the latter, and in any case her two consciousness had fought too long to allow for a scrap of her dignity to pass through the comb of questions Charles would indubitably ask to find out how much she had heard. Besides the last creation had left her so disgusted that when Remy decided it was a good idea to tell her about this new shrimp jumbo recipe he had heard about a week later, she turned a polite shade of olive green in contrast to her cinnamon colour skin.
That and those pair had a pretty damn good set of puppy eyes between the two of them. She might have done the unthinkable and succumbed to their pleas.

“Yes, Scott, I know Logan can take care of himself…
...Yes, yes but I feel in a way that since he has joined us he is more-not to say vulnerable, but…
...Well, I told him we may have a lead to a distant relative of his…
...Ah yes well it was not easy…
...Hank had his DNA readings run through the diagnostics of every known mutant in the Cerebro computer database…
...Ahh, yes- I asked him that very same question. He said he simply thought it was something we had never tried before because it was simply so remote of a chance, and that he was still dedicated to helping his friend despite joining the Avengers…
...and he had been -bored out of his mind, so he says- at head quarters and was as surprised as much as anyone else that something came of it.

*He laughed then, but even in the closet I could tell there was something about it that had said not every chuckle spoke of happiness.*

...I know there should not be anything wrong and there is not. Not exactly, it is just that it has been two days since I told him. Yet-he has yet to act upon it. When I told you about Alex, you hopped in the Blackbird nearly as I spoke I barely had time to tell you where he lived.

*Again…that laugh.*

...I understand, you may be right, perhaps he is simply trying to…
...Yes, that is the word-adjust- to the fact that he may have blood relatives in the living world but the computer may be wrong. He must steel himself for such possible disappointments ….
...No, no do not bother coming back. I do not think I was mistaken when I saw the look of happiness on his face when Ororo mentioned how empty the house is. More people would simply annoy him right now. In any case, Ororo and I can handle the situation…
...No, she does not know as far as I can tell and I will not ask her. Logan should be the one to tell Ororo anything if he so wishes…

*This time his laugh is easier and less ironic.*

...Tell Jean to watch out for the jellyfish that sting. I hear that it is quite painful…"




*I could hear the smile in his voice in those last few sentences and in his good byes. I felt horrible to have intruded on something so personal in such a deceitful manner. No matter about my pride, dignity, or fear of Bobby and Jubilee’s …thing, could it account for what I have just done to the man though unwittingly? I feel far sicker without any frozen creations to help my deceitful stomach along.*

She had crawled out fifteen minutes after Charles had wheeled away. She struck out to fly all day and into the better half of the night to avoid revealing the shame she felt with the twinge in her cheeks. Since that day, she had briefly spoken with Charles twice and then spoken to no one at all.

Three days later she had not felt much better about what she had done. It hadn’t made things better by the fact that at those brief moments of conversation where Charles had subtle tried to question her about Logan.

*This simply will not do. They are my Family and one cannot avoid them forever.*

Though until dinner time she would continue to flow along this breeze to wherever it may choose, and only the devil may care where.
She laughed a laugh that come of those who enjoy the bounty of the earth and what surrounds it.


She had had her eyes closed for hours it seemed.
Lazily she rolled herself into a position where she would be capable of reading the sun’s position in time. Approximately it told her seven or eight o’clock. She closed her lids again to ponder whether she should make an effort to get back home.

Actually she would have to first find out where she was in order to course a way home but that should not be too difficu…Suddenly a background noise that did not fit in with the usual aerial jaunt came to Ororo’s ears.

The sound of bird's wings flapping and soaring, check.
The sound the waves of heat from the sun made when lapping the clouds which made a noise none but her heard, check.
The flapping and snapping of her hair in the wind, check.
A ominous whirring clunk whistling noise that sounded far off yet too close, chec…

*…whirring clunk whistling noise?? At least contestant number one knows the answer to the question: What does not belong?…*

With the speed of lightning Ororo shot her eyes open while loosing her power wild to find out what surrounded her. It took seconds but seconds too many. There five feet down below, nearly directly in front of her was a jumbo 757 plane making ready to rise a couple more feet into the air.

* In two ways could this be disastrous.
1) If the pilots saw me, naked and flying, at least five hundred feet, they would be at the least ... upset.
2) If I am not careful I will be sucked into their nice, big, fat, jumbo sized propellers and diced into nice, little cubes of goddess shish cabob!!!
... On the other hand I would not have to face the others any more...*
Falling Dreams by Storms_rose
Symbols:
*......*= thoughts
"...." = speaking
(in a phone conversation) ... = a pause for the person on the other side of the line to speak.

Disclaimer: I don't own any rights to any Marvel characters. Please don't sue me, I'm not poor but it reallllllly wouldn't be worth your effort. PLUS, how the hell I'm the only one getting sued up in here????!!!

NOTE TO THA READER: Yea, I don't know anymore about what I'm doing from tha LAST time I wrote dis shit. Actually, its been ages since I wrote that first one but with the blackout and no responses 4 awhile i couldn't morally going on posting. Yea so anyway i'd like to thank: Parisian , Wolvster , Redhead2 , Lyner for their really nice words. I always appreciate some luv. I can't believe I'm having so much TROUBLE with Logan's accent. I'm freakin' CANADIAN for crying out loud. But I'm just not gritty enough, I guess. ANywho, u didn't come here to read my fool-ishness...or at least not this fool-ishness. u came to read the below stuff so lets get to it.

Oh, and here’s where it gets…uh…rowdy.

CHAPTER TWO

She groans, since when has she been a coward? Who faced her greatest fear of claustrophobia in the tunnels underneath the city? Her, that's who!
She rustled some stale air into circulation which easily pushed her above the jumbo plane into higher, colder air. She made a small pirouette in the brisk air then created tornado speed winds out of nowhere.
Using those she pushed herself home. The winds were wild and got the best of her french braid, tossing her hair like rigging of a boat caught in a storm...

*My storm...*

That was the last thing she thought about as she sped back home.

~On the mansion grounds~

Logan kicked at the dying yellow grass by the pond. He was bored out there but it was better than lounging around sleeping in the library all day, and far better than having Charlie shit buckets in his new hover wheelchair watching him in mixed anticipation and worry.
He was tired of being watched as if he'd leap off his ass in search of this supposed family that he may have at any second. Luckily, there weren’t that many people's eyes to avoid.

Just Charlie, the coupla students who had nowhere to go for the summer, and Ororo who seemed to have better things to do then hang around the mansion.
He nor the kids had really seen her in days and they were starting to come closer to him for some kind of adult supervision although they had avoided him, their defence teacher for those at higher levels, as a rule before.

*Where the hell she's at...?*

He unsheathed his claws to stab at a tree.

That's when the frenzy had him.

He growled deep and loud in his throat and started running, unconsciously tearing at his clothes leaving huge gaping holes in his mauve T-shirt.
He ripped one sleeve in his black leather jacket, simultaneously pulling it off. His pants immediately seemed to collect dirt. Maybe that was because after he had ran in large, wide circles, slashing at ancient oak trees that had already had his mark upon their bark, then he threw himself at the dirt floor trying to roll away some of the stress of the past few days.
Finally, he lay on his back, calm.

*Well, what did that kill, huh bub? About fifteen minutes, eh, and where’s my t-shirt?*

He stared at the sky.
It looked as it always did. He rolled over so he was on his side in a half-fetus position.
It wasn't that he didn't want to find out about this possible connection to his past...

*This ain't somethin' or someone I cahn jus' manhandle. Fer fuck sakes, it's a kid with feelin's and shit. An' he ain't bound to be like Sabertooth. I shake a claw at 'im and he'd probably fucking cry!
...I never thought there'd be anyone tah, tah have tah do this with!!?*

Charlie had said he was a kid living up in Toronto. An orphan living in a foster home that would soon develop powers of extreme speed.
Logan rolled over to the other side as a caterpillar tried to climb up his nose. Charlie thought there was something wrong with him. That he was scared of rejection or afraid it'd be a false report like so many others he'd eagerly believed.
But he didn't realize there was other problems to be dealt with.
He had no idea what the kid could be like. What if he liked where he was at? What if he was a complete brat? Or got too scared of him? Worse, there was the government to handle. How to provide proof that he was even related to the kid? He didn't want to sneak him off like a criminal, if the kid even wanted to be sneaked off which he proly wouldn‘t.
And besides all that, how was he gonna provide for the kid? How would he be, in a sense, his father?

*How the fuck am I gonna do all that? Ain't easy raisin' monsters!!! ...Who'd help me?*

That last thought crept up on Logan like the caterpillar up his nose. Disgusting, annoying, and the consequences were frightening.

The branches began to bob and weave in the wind; many of the old, dead leaves that were hanging by a thread blew up and around in the air in swirls to finally cascade down into his face. Logan rose up on to his elbows to get a better view.

*what tha hell...????!!*

There amongst yet above the wild throngs of the leaves was Ororo, naked, powerful, and Beautiful.
A true black Nubian Goddess rising above her subjects on her final flight home. That was one thing he had always liked about her was she did not shame her body by swathing it in too much clothing or being afraid of being naked.
In fact right now she wore nothing and the sight was enough to stir his blood heartily and forget the troubles he'd been pondering for hours.

* Hours and hours of thinkin' an' no solution in sight. Might as well think on ...other things.*

His smile was wolfish in delight as he looked up at her. She seemed to be looking for someone or something by the way she tossed her head this way and that.
Her long white tresses followed flowingly where ever that pretty head decided to turn. Her long legs curved their way neatly down into ladylike crossed legs. Her breasts were high above her long torso which hinted simply with her four pack of how much exercise she did. A few short silver hairs sprouted from her taut nipples. At the V between her thighs lay a simple mat of white curls that had obviously been trimmed from some wild state that Logan would give anything to be the only witness of.
A minute later he could take no more, he made a move to rise. Suddenly she was looking down straight into his eyes. What she saw there he didn't know for her eyes were like a deep blue river; still yet the undercurrents were always moving.
She didn't seem startled by his rough appearance; just aware, like she was acknowledging his existence, there in that spot.


Slowly, she descended.

OOOOHHHHH, whats gonna happen now?? jus' have tah wait an' see;D
Confessional Sex by Storms_rose
Symbols:
*....*= thoughts
"...." = speaking
(in a phone conversation) ... = a pause for the person on the other side of the line to speak.

Disclaimer: I don't own any rights to any Marvel characters. Please don't sue me, I'm not poor but it reallllllly wouldn't be worth your effort. PLUS, how the hell I'm the only one getting sued up in here????!!!

NOTE TO THA READER:
OK, its gonna get sappy up in here jus' tah warn ya!!! Logan's going to get all mushy. At least I kinda know what I’m going to do with the next few chapters. AHHHH, i feel so, so, so.......Knowledgeable. Its sweet ;D!!!
Aieght, well lets get to it.
BTW, major apologies for not writing. There was simply no excuse. I got the reviews but I was not listening. ( too thick headed I guess! …and LAZY!!!!!) So I’ll try to finish this up for the summer.
If you’re still interested, I am too.
To hopefully make up for that, I’m writing two chapters tonight. I will not sleep!!!

CHAPTER THREE

She didn't know why but she had to reveal herself to Logan. She had to tell him what she knew. After all, they were close friends.

*Heck, we have even kissed on a few occasions! Come to think of it, maybe he has tried to tell me but I have not been there for him to tell.
Even if he does mind that I know, which I now doubt, he is sensible enough to realise there is nothing that can be done about my knowledge. I'll simply never speak to him about it if he minds so much.
But there is more to Logan than he lets most others on to. I don't think that he would not want to talk about this with me. If he doesn't ...fine, but it's not every day you go from being, blood wise, completely alone to suddenly with someone.
If that was me I am not so sure I would run off to meet this person as quickly as possible either.*

She rustled the wind to cause her slow descent.
Below Logan looked up at her with a shiny glazed film over his eyes. He kept shaking his head then looking back up at her then shaking his head again. Finally her feet touched earth and Logan had his head bent to the ground.
Gently grasping his chin with her long fingers, his stubble rough on her skin, she brought his eyes to hers and smiled at him.
He looked as if he might cry if he was the type.
Quickly he grabbed his jacket from the ground and covered her. She’d forgotten she was naked but did not blush, instead taking his hand and guiding him into a sitting position with her.

“We must speak together, Logan.”
“Yeah, you don’t know the half of it,” he muttered.
“Logan I… I …” She was getting cold feet again! “There’s so much I should say. I’m not sure how.”
“But I gotta get this offa my chest!”
“Go ahead then.”
“Go?”
“Go.”
“Ok, it’s like this- there’s a kid.”
“I know.”
“And he, well, he might be related to me…”
“I know.”
“Who knows how…what! What do you mean you know?!”
“That is what I was trying to tell you. I overheard Charles discussing the matter…I am so sorry.”

Logan sat there with a mostly naked Ororo beside him silently for a few moments. His voice became a deadly whisper.

“So, so…the whole time I was sitting here trying to figure this all out… YOU KNEW?!?”

Ororo raised her head. No matter what his response, she would remember her convictions to not be a coward.

“Yes.”

Logan’s eyes creased as his grin widened. He began laughing so hard he was holding on to Ororo’s shoulder for support which was slowly causing the jacket to vibrate off of her.

“I do not seem to find the joke.”
“I’ve bin avoidin’ you so as not to disappoint you. WHO cares what Chuckie thinks of whether I go or not??? I dinna want to hurt you babe an’ you’ve been avoidin’ me cuz you dinna want to hurt me.
Me in the forest, you in the air.
The kids missin’ you like crazy, an’ Charlie losin’ hairs on his bald head all over the place.
Can’t you see how STUPID we’ve been?!”

Ororo cracked a little smile.
Soon they were both rolling on the floor of the forest laughing their heads off. Logan pulled them up to rest against a tree trunk carrying Ororo in his arms like a wounded victim. The wild man smiled down at his own personal wild woman.
Ororo traced a scar, still healing, on his chest, the hair shifting on his torso making the only non nature related sounds. His hot breath seeped down her neck making her scalp sweat. She felt real and, like when she used her powers to change the temperature, she knew something had changed with the increased heat.
Close to the edge of no control, but without the loss of clarity.
She knew what she wanted.
She wanted to get drunk.
The scene was just right- the forest breathing heavy around them, everything was soft and bendable from the recent rain, and they had on almost the right amount of clothes on.
Ororo knew just what kind of drink she wanted and she was not afraid to get it.
She was not on the edge of control.

*This is what being in complete control feels like…I like it.*

She bent her head and licked up some of his sweat and blood by his now disappeared scar. Logan hissed and grinded his teeth, a mix of pleasure and pain, as his eyes searched the sky.

* Ok, where’s the real Ororo, and please make her stay away until this OVER!*

Ororo tossed the strands of hair that had fallen on to her own sweat stained face over her shoulder. She smiled precariously as she traced an invisible pattern up Logan’s jeans with her bare leg. She knew he would understand by not sullying the moment with inadequate words or foolish questions.
The fact was they were doing this.

Now.

Here.

Logan rocked his hips in a sensual beat to answer her call and let her know his answer. He didn’t think he had a choice, anyway. Besides his hands were cresting her tight thighs to end at the roundness of her butt. He hiked her up on top of him, while his back rested on the trunk of the tree. Immediately he realized his problem. How was he going to his strength to drive into her at the right time?

Ororo began kissing larger gashes before they disappeared and he forgot all about that. He couldn’t moan. She was working him too hard, too fast. There wasn’t time to moan about one thing before there was something new to cry out about.
Ororo tipped her muscled back backwards as if to howl at the setting sun.
This was so much fun! There they were, two adults handling sex as if it was something good and pleasurable.
Pleasure…
*Hmm, I should get back to my task… Oh My Goddess!*
Logan had decided to keep himself busy while Ororo thought to herself. Those nipples had been dancing in front of his face all this time and now was his chance.
He had always been a connoisseur of opportunities…
He licked them each tentatively to see which he liked best. He swooped down on the left one to enjoy first. Slow kisses quickly turned into a supping by Logan’s rough lips against Ororo’s soft skin.
She writhed and turned.
She couldn’t take anymore.
His fingers were everywhere between her soft curls massaging her to stroking the inside of her thigh with his thumb to keep her legs from flinging all over. Her palms caressed his hard, bulging muscles in his back and she knew it was time that they were both in the appropriate type of clothing.
She rose and stood over Logan in all her glory as he panted softly below her, he now appeared to be her victim. She grinned at him, and knew he was willing in this when he too grinned back. Before he could move to join her Ororo sent a small lightening bolt down from her fingers to smoke his pants belt buckle, button, and zipper into dust all at once.
She almost laughed at his expression.

Then she grabbed the waist of his pants and ripped off his pants.

Now with Logan’s eyes as big as they were, Ororo was dangerously close to laughing her head off. Instead she just grinned widely. Logan leaped up and she twirled away from him, flipping the wind so that it provided a flimsy shield of soil and leaves.

The golden autumn leaves glowed a rose colour in the vibrant, rainbow sunset.

Logan gently flipped Ororo on her back after fighting easily through the soft breeze.

The first stars began to lightly glow in the chasing night.

Ororo’s hair sprawled out in a fan behind in wild, sweat soaked curls. A sharp contrast to the black, damp soil.

The sun had only a few more moments before it dipped away forever on the last day of a warm autumn for the year.

Logan trailed kisses all over her body. Ororo’s eyes said yes to his body’s question.

The branches rustled and somewhere an owl called to it’s mate for the hunt.

And as the sun set, the night completely taken over, Ororo called Logan’s name over and over, her eyes crested over in white calling the lightning into action without the rain- both smiling as if they would never stop.

She was sooooo DrUnk.

DONE CHAPTER THREE!

K, I have to explain the part about the ripped pants. I’m soooooo tired of the girl getting her clothes ripped off by impatient guys and then they calmly peel their clothes off their skin. Hey, hullo, we girls paid for our clothes too!!!! Ahhh, I had to vent.

Can’t wait for the next chapter? Don’t worry, it’s written. You’re just NOT getting it. BWAHHAHAHAHAHAHAha…sorry, but u gotta love the maniacal laugh. Check tomorrow, maybe I’ll hook u up then.
And all the little birds flew home by Storms_rose
Symbols:
*......*= thoughts
"...." = speaking
(in a phone conversation) ... = a pause for the person on the other side of the line to speak.

Disclaimer: I don't own any rights to any Marvel characters. Please don't sue me, I'm not poor but it reallllllly wouldn't be worth your effort. PLUS, how the hell I'm the only one getting sued up in here????!!!

NOTE TO THA READER: yea….so… You enjoy that one? Hahaha, thought I’d flip the switch up on the romance side. Fuck the confusion. Hmm, that’s a little of an oxymoron. Damn, I don’t think I know how to do a short chapter. So much has to happen in this one…read on.
I’ll thank reviewers when they come in, if they come in. I just want to put out a special thanx to Ciyfox for telling me about the whole no paragraph thing because after you pointed it out, I totally noticed it too!

So…thanx.

*Oh my Gosh, I’m writing this right now and this is sooooooooooooooooooooooooooo
ooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo long !!!!!*

So here’s tha story:

CHAPTER FOUR

“Don’t tell me what to do!”
“Why not? You should be learning from your more benevolent, wiser, OLDER elders.”
“Pieeeeeeeettttyyyyyyy! Make the bighead, idiot elder SHUT UP!!!”
Pietro shuts his eyes tight against the children as if to make them stop arguing. It wouldn’t work as he cracked a smile at Jubilee’s pleading, “Stop, please.”
“But…”
“Hey! Shut up," Kitty cut into their simultaneous complaint. Pietro shot her a grateful look and she shivered. "Bobby stop talking crap and Jubes?”
“Whaaaaaaat?” Jubilee smacked her bubblegum.
“Especially you shut up.”
“Ergh, you bastards are all against me!”

They all laughed their way out of the cab as Jubilee stomped her way up the front stairs of the mansion.
“Hey, Jubes!” Bobby called after her.
“What?!”
“Don’t you need your suitcases?”
Jubilee flushed red and screamed.

*~*

In the foyer, Scott shed his coat and turned over to look at his wife as Jubilee screamed curse words outside the door at her fellow team mates.
“Home sweet home, love.” Jean tossed at her husband.

He scrunched up his face in disbelief that he had ever used that saying to convince his wife to get in the stretch sedan while she begged to go on another, more proper, vacation and not go back to the school.
Although the last vacation wasn’t much of one as they had to cut it short to collect three highly unwilling students for Sean and Emma’s school.
One in Jamaica, one in Grenada, and one in St. John- the only part of their cruise that had been truly fun was when they had been holed up together on the boat fighting their seasickness as a pair of pathetic landlubbers.
Somewhere in the house someone was singing and another person played a seductively slow rendition of classic Bach.

“Who’s that?” Jean wondered as she kissed her husband.
From behind a pair of strong arms swung her around. Jean screamed in shock.
“Welcome home, Jeannie!” Logan laughed behind her. “ Oh, yea. Hi, Scott.”
Scott couldn’t decide between assaulting the shorter man or remain in shock over his laughter. When was the last time he had heard the man laugh?
“Jean!”
In flew the white haired woman to welcome Jean home with a hug. Jean laughed and suggested that the entering Pietro, Kitty, Bobby, and slouching Jubilee and company relocate to the kitchen.
The lively group made their way and picked up Rogue on the way. The southern beauty had just been sleeping on the living room couch to recover from jet lag and…other activities.
Ever since the collar from Genova Island had been discovered in Hank’s laboratory gathering dust, Rogue and Remy had blown the dirt off and been making a more positive use of the evil technology…on the dining room table, in the sandy beaches, on the bed, in the tub, on the plane wing coming home…

Her short pink silk slip barely covered the essentials but her long and thick rusty red brown hair tumbled over the rest. Bobby snapped his head back to stare.

“Ya’ wan’ somethin’, shugah? Ah can help put dem eyes back in yo’ head if ya want…”

Jubilee muttered something into Rogues’ ear and she blushed a bright plum red as Logan snickered.
Bobby peered into the faces of the girls’ one at a time as if their expressions could reveal their secrets to him.

“Dat’s durh-ty, Jubilee. Ah swore you too young for dem t’ings.” Rogue cried out and slapped her hands over her mouth. “ Oh,no!”
Jubilee doubled over and Logan grinned widely. Everyone looked so confused.
Bobby looked as if he may cry from curiosity.

“I’m lucky I don’t have the same problem with Ororo.” Logan tossed over to Rogue. She just hid her face in her hands. But now it was Jubilee’s turned to be confused at the remark.
“What?”

Logan looked over at Ororo. She shrugged and nodded. They’d figure it out sometime. Better to be open about it.
Jubilee’s a smart kid. She figured it out quickly.

“Oh. My. God! Ororo, are you screwing Logan?!” As the silent room turned as one to watch the Wind rider’s sure to be indignant reaction at this lie, Jubes rethought her statement. “Wow, did that come out wrong…”
Ororo gave a shifty smile.

Later on Bobby wondered whether she was smiling at the idea of ever “screwing” anyone or the fact that Jubilee had immediately regretted the way she’d burst it out.

*~*

Ororo laughed into Logan’s arms.
“Did you see their faces, darlin’?” Logan leaned back into the backboard of the bed. He loved Ororo’s bed much more than his own.
More pillows, fluffier sheets, black silk material which hid no love stains- oh, yeah, she had the better bed to do everything on. They could throw things and jump and…he needed to stop thinking this way or he’d have to have a go at her right now!

Ororo rolled over on top of him and straddled her boyfriend. She screamed and giggled.

*I can’t believe I have a boyfriend that I’m so in love with!*

Logan laughed because his girl was happy. He reached out and she delved into his arms for the hug. As she pulled away, her hair provided a makeshift curtain around the couple’s faces. Only inches from his lips, she was as equally happy kissing them or talking to them.
Right now, she wanted to ask them something.
However, they wanted to kiss her.
She had to hold him down from his shoulders.
He made his arms and fingers useful.
“Logan,” she half laughed, half moaned. “Stop! I want to know something.”
Logan sighed, he knew she wouldn’t give up when she wanted to know something.

“What? What? What, what, what?!”
“What did Jubilee say to Rogue?”
Logan smirked. “Oh.”
“To make her blush like that?” Ororo prompted and waited patiently. She had all night to wait. Judging by his rising dick he was too excited to want to wait any amount of time. She, however, could wait and be ready to have sex anytime.
Logan’s smile faded. She was really serious, she wanted to know.
He sighed. “She just started makin’ jokes about Rogue. Somethin’ about how now that his dick is in her she has to sound like him too.”
Ororo opened her eyes so wide. “No.”
“Yup.”
“No!”
“We gonna do this all night? I know much better ways to spend our time…”
Ororo laughed and rolled off him. She snuggled back up to the cocoon of his arms.
Fifteen minutes later, Logan eased up. He had a session set for eight o’clock in the danger room and it was already eight thirty.
“Gotta go, darlin’.” He called out to her as he left the room.
She just giggled. “Dick?...Hihi, talk like him…my word!”

*God, I love that crazy gurl!*

In the danger room:

Remy was just finishing his last flip. He duck, spun, and kicked his opponent dead in the nose. He spun his Bo staff in a few circles, whipping them around his face.
The whistling sound of them coming into contact with each of the leaping ninjas arouse such satisfaction that Remy smiled for the first time since he had left the living room earlier this morning. He worked on his footwork for another half an hour.
Then he called out, “ Computer, change to Remy, hand and feet program, level…”

“I thought this was my time, Cajun? Or are you blind?” Cutting in, Logan’s voice was deadly quiet. He’d been sensing the demon eye’d boy’s displeasure all damn day and to see him now, taking his time, was less than pleasing to the wild man.

“You was late.” Logan’s facial expression didn’t twitch.
“‘Sides,” Remy continued nervously in the silence. “Remy t’inking you got somethin’ bettah tah do wit yo’ time. Somethin’ more…interest’ing, non?”

Logan walked down to the gaping metal pit that was the X- men’s training area.

“Get out.” He growled on his way past the Cajun to pick up his favourite nunchuks (Sorry, I have NO idea how to spell that. But you know what I mean…).

Gambit was on his way out when an idea came to him. He had to put it into action quickly.

“ You get rusty wit’out ol’ Remy ta challenge you, mon ami?”
He let the true question hang in the air for a minute. Logan seemed to have not heard him…but he had to have.
He gave his staff a couple test swings. Suddenly Wolverine swung around and had half his staff diced into small cubes before Gambit thought to activate the jungle scene to hide in.
Wolverine howled and ordered the computer to change the scene from day to night. The moon shone its singular light onto the foliage.
Gambit had his back up against a tree. Somewhere a macaw screamed in the night and Logan howled again.

He huntin’ me! No matter, Ah huntin’ him too!

A hand reached out from above and dragged Gambit by the neck up the trunk of the exotic tree. He quickly swung his legs, between the choking coughs, gaining enough momentum to swing one leg up and make a play at kicking Wolverines’ face.
Wolverine took his other hand and swatted the leg away easily. At the same time Gambit took his other leg and caught Wolverine right under his ribcage with his toe thus flipping him over. They both fell down. Gambit rolled into a standing position, grabbing his partially decimated staff, he spun and cracked the staff on the face of the just rising Wolverine, resulting in several more flips for the Wild man.

As he rolled in the air, his claws popped out; his splinter filled skin drawing tight against his frown.

But Gambit never saw that. He had already broken into a dead run for the watering hole in a slanted fashion. He almost appeared as if he was heading for the Old Mill for the final showdown.
Gambit knew that clear spaces that provided lots of room for swooping hits would not be advantageous for him in this fight. Wolverine would whoop his ass too quickly. Gambit needed time so that Remy could talk and get everything off his chest.
Behind him, Wolverine literally screamed his displeasure.

The pond was a wide stretch that was sprinkled with medium sized stones, the perfect precarious stepping stones. Gambit needed Logan off balance and needing to listen, while he strategized.

As Gambit reached there, Wolverine already stood there- his uniform ripped, his face bloody, and his hair stood on edge.
No sign of pain or actual injury.
Bad sign.
“Well, mon ami, not so well done.”
“We finish this here…and now.”
“I thought we were friends.”
“Yeah? So what’s your FUCKIN’ problem, huh, pal?”

Gambit tightened his hold on the straps of his gloves and began slowly walking to the right. Wolverine matched him on the opposite side. The moments passed achingly slow.
“How you know Gambit comin’ here before he git here?”
Wolverine grinned but didn’t show teeth.

“I could smell you’re heart breathin’, bub.”

Gambit closed his eyes tight, and Remy opened them. “Why you doin’ this tah her?”
They both simultaneously made the jump to a stone to cross the watering area.
“Doin’ what, bub?”
A few more leaps landed them once again on land. Logan began a cross walk with a double back now to his right with his eyes still trained on Gambit. Remy matched his fancy foot work across the sandy dirt.
He could still remember walking in from his vacation and meeting up with Charles in the foyer after dropping Rogue off with the bags to unpack. He’d asked where Ororo was and gotten the odd reply that he didn’t want to know. He’d walked into the living room cursing the mansion’s huge size. He’d looked everywhere! Then there she was, half way to ecstasy with her bra still on, her panties shoved over, and a naked Logan pumping into her. Remy shivered, he had never wanted to find out like that.

“Havin’ dis “rela’tionship” wit Stormy.” Remy decided to flash one of his cards in this dangerous game. “You kno’ you don’t love her. I’m her real frien’. I ain’t gon’ watch her get her heart broke… and ya kno‘ what worse? Is she‘s bettah dan homes like us.”

Remy expected him to do anything but what he did next. Logan’s feature relaxed and he laughed. Remy drew his brows together in annoyance.

“Listen up, bub,” Logan called over his shoulder as he walked to the showers. “ I luv that lady jus’ as much as you do. Have no fear, I ain’t gonna hurt her.” Logan stopped and looked down in thought.
“Fact is,” he whispered. “She’s more likely to run off an’ break my heart but I’m more than willing ta take a chance with a woman like that. So cool it. Damn, I thought you were jealous, not on a social class trip. Breathe, Cajun.”

Remy didn’t know what to do.

That hadn’t played out right at all. He hadn’t expected the man to break down and cry that Remy was right or anything but being reassured by him certainly wasn’t what he’d expected to happen either.
Slowly shutting down the Danger Room through the voice command sequence, Remy stripped to nothing and entered the showers. Logan was there using his soap. Logan looked up between the suds and grinned apologetically.

“ I stink ta even me. I can’t go to ‘Ro’s bed smelling like that. Sorry but she’s always sayin’ that she likes how you smell. ‘Sides you’re right. I got more interestin’ thangs ta do than beat around the danger room.”

Remy grabbed the bottle and stalked over to a free shower nozzle. As the hot cascade came down he let a small smile crack into the spray.

Back in Ororo’s room:

Ororo lay among the tangled sheets somewhat satisfied. Masturbating by ones self obviously did not have the same mind-blowing result as with a specific partner. But it did do a rather adequate job for the time being considering he was busy.
It was funny how long rubbing herself had kept her happy. However, someone masturbating her and doing it for a certain someone else was a rather more interesting idea…

Logan entered and though only a small crack of light flashed and was enveloped by the darkness a overpowering smell of Remy seemed to follow the man. As he slid between the covers Ororo turned to him immediately.

One sniff told him she’d been…bored in his time away. Logan grinned.
“Busy, darlin’?”
“Never you mind. Why…what is that stench?”
Logan frowned. He swore she’d said just the other day…
“Thought you’d like it.” He said quietly, perhaps a little discouraged.
She paused. “But I like YOUR smell. Its like the woods, nature,” she started to let her finger wander and stroke. “and sweet sweat. You smell like a, a, a…man!”
He rolled on top of her. His eyes asked the questions: really?
She smiled yes as she grinded her pelvis into him. He leaned into her seductively and began tickling her.
“Logan,” she gasped in laughter. “Stop that immediately or I’ll call you ‘Remy’ from now on. Especially when,” she leaned up into him and took off her tank top at the same time. Her bare nipples reached out for him. He moaned in need for her and dipped his head. “Especially when you make me orgasm!”
Logan’s shot his head up in mock fear.

“No, darlin’, no!” Logan flipped Ororo over. “Well, I’ll just have to make sure you forget about that nasty little Cajun and his horrible smell…”
Could Logan be... by Storms_rose
CHAPTER FIVE

Symbols:
*...Italics...*= thoughts
"...." = speaking
(in a phone conversation) ... = a pause for the person on the other side of the line to speak.

Disclaimer: I don't own any rights to any Marvel characters. Please don't sue me, I'm not poor but it reallllllly wouldn't be worth your effort. PLUS, how the hell I'm the only one getting sued up in here????!!!

NOTE TO THA READER: yea I didn’t really see anyone out there reviewing my last chapter so I wasn’t sure if I should continue. *_* so sensitive!!!! Looks like I can write a short chapter cuz this one is way shorter than the others but just as interesting. Watch Jean!!!


“Logan?”

“Urgh?” Logan had been sleeping very deeply in the library that evening. He had come in on the not so discreet prodding of Charles to go and spend some quiet time alone and away from Ororo. There he found a huge pile of different types of books, a roaring fire, and a comfy chair pulled up.
He smiled at the selection chosen; some were on the legal processes of adoption when Scott and Jeannie had been thinking about that option, thousands of different theories on child rearing, and one how-to on communicating our feelings.
He had to give it to that guy. Charlie cared but he didn’t want to be too obvious that he wanted Logan to do something about the lead already.
This need for closure was for a satisfaction in Charles’ curiosity and closure of sanity, if nothing more. The fact was that he hadn’t even thought about that supposed relative since him and Ororo hooked up.

But he had to make sure Ororo didn’t become his life because if she did… he wouldn’t want to ever leave her or have her leave him. How would he get through a mission? Did he even want to try?

*Damn, she can make me wanna quit this rough house livin’?*

That thought struck him like a pipe, mind a ten ton adamantium pipe, but a pipe all the same. He loved his rough house life more than anything, didn’t he?

*Ah can’t love her like a wife…could I?*

He looked at the cover of the books and all he saw was a replacement vision of Ororo and a white haired, gray-eyed baby with soft skin…Argh, Stop It! Ah didn’t mean tah fall for her!!!
He closed his own deep gray eyes.

Scott took this as a dismissal but stood refute. He felt he had to speak Logan out of this …funk… he was in. He wasn’t going to let this man run from his problems. Hell, he probably wouldn’t have felt so strongly, even now, to make Jean understand her love for him if it hadn’t been for the competition of this man. Logan had been Scott’s whip in prodding him to make a life changing decision. He owed Logan this.

*Though she was acting funny these days.*

Brooding, almost; and every time Scott brought it up, Jean claimed it was only menstrual. Yet…yet, something still felt different. They had made love particularly desperately last night. At first he thought it was because they hadn’t had much time while on vacation to actually vacation but later it seemed she was determined to drive something into him…or out of her. Her thoughts were fuzzy though they were still linked through the astral link. He could only sense things, not peer in and share as usual. He hadn’t asked Jean about that; he had been too embarrassed and even now his face reddened in response to the thought.

Logan looked up at the man who used to epitomize all that was irritating in the world. Now that Logan had his and Scott had his, Logan merely saw him as a distraction in his path.
Though it was rather disgusting to watch this next man blush…

“Somethin’ ye wanted?”

Wow, Logan was almost polite! Scott toppled out of his thoughts with shock.

“Yea actually,” Scott chose a footstool lying nearby and sat. He was still a tall man, his eyes only just slightly looking down into Logan’s. “Listen, I heard about Ororo and yourself.”

Logan gave him his patented blank stare that incorporated tiny hints of nonchalance.

“That’s a good thing.” Scott smiled. “She’ll keep you in line.”

Logan continued to stare…at the ceiling, his book, the fire, out the window, and a fly buzzing in the corner. Just because he could hear him didn’t actually mean he had to look like he was paying attention, did he? Or laugh at lame jokes?

“Well, I’m, I’m interested to know how your search is going. Charles you understand, told me because of the fact that I have gone through the same kind of thing. We are oddly alike. What are you reading? Oh, you want to adopt this kid?”

*Oooooooookay .*

That was when it got too weird for Logan. He wasn’t going to talk to Scott about this or have Scott sit here and talk to him about it either.

“Bye, Scott.”

*Wow, I really am becoming really nice.*
He thought as he said something in greeting form before walking out of a conversation. Usually a growl was too kind…

He needed to ask Ororo about some of the terms he had seen.

*Where she at?*

In the hall, he watched the setting sun. It was unusually cold for late September. Down the path, Remy and Rogue carried a broken pumpkin and seemed to be in the middle of a food fight in the oncoming autumn dusk. A closer look revealed Rogue, who was wearing the inhibitor so she couldn’t fly away, running from Remy who would capture her and was stuffing seeds in her hair.
Nowadays, she barely took it off and it only seemed fair since she had years of touching to make up. Logan hoped that the inhibitor brought her nothing but happiness. Deep down, he knew that eventually someone would make a mistake or a realization; and that inhibitor would become her prison instead of her rescuer.
Deeper down, he also knew something about how something made to be evil could become good.

He turned and started sniffing. Ororo, accompanied by Jean, had been in the kitchen a few hours ago but now her scent carried him to the living room. Jean still lay on the couch but Ororo had left an hour ago.

*Maybe downstairs?*

He turned to ask Jean, just to be nice.
“You know where Ororo’s at?”
“Mmm, yes.” She rose onto her elbows. “ Come here and let me talk to you.”
She motioned for him to sit between her legs, the position in which he often received massages from her in. He shrugged his shoulders. He could use one and she seemed tense enough to need to hit something.
Tense since when?
He couldn’t think whenever she started to work his muscles like that. She used her telekinetic powers to use enough pressure to get him purring.
“So how are you?”
“Jeannie, don’t bullshit with me.”
“Okay, how are you and Ororo doing?”
“Good, fantastic, amazing.”
“Oh.”
“Why?”
“I guess I’m just curious like everyone else on how this happened.”
“What?”
“You two.”
Logan cracked his neck bones. That always helped him think. Why would Jeannie lie just now?
“Well, are you two having sex?”
He kept his surprise hidden. He knew Ororo would never reveal that to anyone, except the Cajun who had already accidentally caught them. Actually he had heard the ass coming and hadn’t felt like stopping. He felt bad about that now because Ororo was tense about her and Remy being on the rocks. He should have…but that woman got him in a haze!
“Mmmhm.”
“Are you using protection?”
“Mmmhm,” he smelt discreetly around.

*What the HELL was that SMELL? Because it better not be what he thought it was! Oh, but it was!*

Jean was getting wet touching him! He knew all he’d have to do was peel the layers away and take a lick at the white stuff and she’d scream in happiness. He was surprised that it came that thick already, so easily.
“Mmmhmm,” he rose.
“I’m not done!”
“I gotta find Ororo, remember?” he cupped her chin. “You an’ Scott are doing great as usual?”
She looked away and responded in the positive. He hadn’t really left her a choice.
“Good.” He whispered sexually in her ear (he couldn’t help teasing her and help finishing the job!). “If he ever hurts ya, you know where ta come, don’cha?”
“Uh huh, Ororo I believe went for her private session in the Danger Room.”

She was already in the bathroom and using her hand to help to complete her masturbation before Logan was halfway down the stairs. Perhaps it was the way his muscles played over his bones, his dark thick hair raked over his t shirt rim or even that her hands were playing over his rugged skin but he aroused her deeply as never before. Or maybe just like in the beginning when he was truly dangerous. Once again Logan was dangerous to her.
She dubiously prayed he didn’t know his affect on her.

Perhaps it was because it was the way that the same thing had happened to him, he could somehow pity and love Jean for what was happening to her and her emotions. It was probably more complicated then he’d like to think about. He never wanted to think about how he’d been.

In the Danger Room, Ororo landed her last holographic opponent with an American roundhouse kick and an African-style left boxing jab. It was easy for her to mix the thousand of different worlds of fighting she knew because, in the end, it was all violence. Senseless and destructive it didn’t deserve to be characterized further than easy, moderate, and difficult. Any more thought than that and she would have to remember what all her practice was for in the end.

*Hopefully, my future contains more defending and aiding rather than pointless defeating. I hate to kill. Yet often that is the only way to end these madmen’s constant quests! What would one do with so much power when it is time to lay for the final rest? Offer this truly idiotically crazy serving of suffering and pain to the Mother Earth? She who controls life and death? What is one world? Can’t they see how many are truly out there? Appreciate the dawn madmen, so many never see it.*

Logan’s arms wrapped around her and interrupted her thoughts.
Upstairs, Jean thumped her foot and bit her lip as she was nearly there.
He smiled at her.
“Hey, darlin’ you’re just the one I wanted to see.”
“Oh yes?”
“Yea, darlin’.” He imagine he heard Jean slump against the wall, done. “Yea.”
She smiled.
Somewhere in the back of her mind, she remembered a feeling she had had earlier.
“That’s funny,” she told him as they walked towards the exit together. “Because I have been having the feeling that my friends wished to keep something from me. By not seeing me, they would not have to speak to me about what is on their minds.” She sighed into him, “I feel so very avoided.”

*Scott wants to help me adopt a kid, Jean’s got the hots for me (again), an’ Remy don’ think ahm good enough for ya. Yea, darlin’, you’re smarter than they give ya credit for.*

Outside his mind, Logan smiled reassuringly.

AWW, POOR RO IS SO CONFUSED AND CLUELESS!!! NO ONE TELLS HER ANYTHING!
STAY TUNED FOR THE NEXT CHAPTER:
IT’S A TEARJERKER FO’ SURE…
…And you might hate Logan a little!
Could Ororo be... by Storms_rose
CHAPTER SIX
Symbols:
*......*= thoughts
"...." = speaking
(in a phone conversation) ... = a pause for the person on the other side of the line to speak.

Disclaimer: I don't own any rights to any Marvel characters. Please don't sue me, I'm not poor but it reallllllly wouldn't be worth your effort. PLUS, how the hell I'm the only one getting sued up in here????!!!

NOTE TO THA READER: yea….so… this chapter is even shorter than the last but I don’t even care cuz I’m so bitter that no one has said anything about my work but I was looking at this and realized I’m being a spoiled little brat so fuck it I just do what I can for the situation at hand and fine I might actually finish this because I hate it when other people don’t but I guess I can understand if they are under reviewed and stuff because I know how discouraging that is especially when you have so many other things that need doing.

So…thanx for the opportunity to start anew and we‘ll see how this all goes.

~Ororo’s Attic Room~

“Scott wanted to know how you are doing,” Ororo called out from the bathroom. She carefully and precisely shaved her long legs in the soapy tub. “He asked me this morning after you left.”
Logan looked up in surprise. It had been two weeks since that awkward conversation in the library. He wondered if Scott had discussed exactly what had happened with Ororo.
She pursed her lips at the silence, “You know, about the possible relative situation.”
“Yeah,” he replied as he tossed her mail on the dresser. Most of his belongings that he did own were spread and mingled among Ro’s carefully organized objects. He picked up and examined a dry half of coffee cake, that he’d probably left behind, to avoid answering the question. “I know.”

She came to the door dripping from below the waist.
“Love?”
As always she said it tentatively, carefully waiting for rejection, while she groped for a towel to mop up the pools tracing her steps. He turned back to her and smiled.
“I know. I, uh, don’t really know what do with it all...”
She smiled wistfully, “I expected not or you would have already gone…and done it.” He wrapped a hairy arm around her waist and drew her into him. She kissed his collarbone and he kissed the top of her head.

If she was honest with herself the more she called him love the harder it became to say the actual words. This couldn’t last. It wasn’t a forever, let’s get married, I love you more, share our room, so what are we doing Valentines Day, please don’t cry on our children’s first day of school, holding hands as old people love. Not because of any illusions she had about her lack of worth or Logan’s inability to control his temper or any more of that kind of foolishness.
She looked into Logan’s eyes and smiled a small smile. Being with him, really being with him, had taught her so much about herself she shouldn’t wonder that the entire relationship wasn’t selfish on her part. There was absolutely nothing inadequate with her or remotely about her self.
For so long she had worried what others thought of her…now she understood that being a slave to the imaginary thoughts of others and being respectively worried and concerned for the state of others was completely two different ways of handling the same situation. She chose the latter now.

*I know I’ll survive if this amazing man leaves me but the fact is that I simply do not wish to have to. I am glad to be a more evolved Ororo now. Maybe it is due to this man never letting me think of anyone besides myself for the past few weeks… Always questioning me on why I did things that had become pointless tradition and what was the need for obsessive worrying when most of the thoughts I assumed others were having were probably wrong anyhow?
Now I have to help him.
No matter the cost. Even if I must pay with the short time we already have.*

She could never go back to the woman who took flight to escape her problems or at least she knew she had to try not to.
Looking out the window in mild shock, her body becoming tense, Was it possible that I have gone weeks happily striding the ground? The same woman who needed to never have occasion to use her front door when there was a perfectly good window at hand?

Logan held her closer and moaned desperately into her hair, “I jus don’t know what to do anymore.” She held him fiercely in return.
“Logan, you and I both know that you know in your heart what it is you wish to do. Whether you will or not is where the confusion lays. Can we try to talk about it, friend?” He was not just her love but also her friend…Steel yourself, Ororo. Please!
They lay down on the bed with Logan oddly sprawled between her legs, his chin resting on his folded hands, and his hands resting easily on her stomach. He had never seemed more harmless. She chuckled and told him this. He laughed and shrugged, “What can I say? I’m just a pup…considering.” He laughed again but Ororo’s giggles were missing.

*He was still so young considering his healing factor.*

“Thing is Ro I…I, I don’t know what it is I’m liable to find when I get there. Who knows, right? Plus, how do I explain everything tah this person? If someone came up to me wit’ the same proposal, I’d think he was crazy. And what if it is just another pointless dead end into Canada, the exact place I ain’t supposed tah go on account of everything wit the Alpha creeps…”
“Resorting to Jub-Jub speech?” she teased but the smile didn’t go to her eyes.
“Yeah, I guess ya can tell how bad things are getting, eh? It could jus’ be another trap even tho’ it doesn’t feel like it. How can it be right tah introduce that person to Sabretooth or some other crazy ass danger Ah don’t even remember about when,” his voice trailed away, depressed.

As long as he didn’t say that the fact that it was a child was the most frightening fact of all Ororo would never have to realize the extent of what kind of coward she was with. He had never been able to bring himself to ask her about those adoption books. He also hated keeping secrets. He tried to fix his jaw as it pulsed with tension. She still noticed it. She delicately placed her fingers on the sides of his mouth, massaging the muscles.
“Logan,” she whispered. “Logan it is fine to be worried. But tell me, as you have yet to do, what is it that you most desire to do?”
He looked down. Could he say this?
Could he admit it?
He rose and crossed the room to gather a moment to get his courage. He refrained from sighing when he said, “I wanna go.”
She went to him and smiled at him and snuggled her back against his chest, “Of course you want to go. It is for the same reason you always want to go even if all you go to is far more dangerous possibilities and questions. This is important to you and thus to everyone who knows and loves you.
If you don’t get going and go everyone may try to push you out with their nagging. Besides,” she quipped, trying to sound cheerful. “It’s the obvious choice you would make.”
Logan felt himself tensing.

*What did Ororo mean by all that? Did she want him to get out?*

“Even,” she spun around in his arms and laughed but it was completely cold. “Scott wants to know how it will all turn out for you.”
“Yeah, I’m sure. Ah’m your longest running Nancy-fucking-Drew mystery.”
Ororo stepped back from him, regarding him in a way even Logan could not read.
“Fine, you‘ll get your damn answers.”
He swept up his motorcycle jacket, stuffed the coffee cake in his mouth so she couldn’t hear his deep choke of guilt, and rode out into the night, the door slamming behind him.

She had done the only thing she could do. The same healing factor that had brought him to her would only sweep him far away from her brittle arms as she grew older and older and he didn’t; just as the tide can whip one from undercurrent to undercurrent until you drowned. The least she could do was make sure he had the opportunity to have a family member with him.
To grow old with him.

Her lips trembled and she let them as she used her nails to drag her hair from her face. Finally she exhaled in a way that felt like she hadn’t inhaled in a while. Her legs shook and she let them too until the combination of her shaking knees, hands, and lips forced her to collapse to the floor. She was a stronger woman, now more than ever, and because of that she could understand why she was so desperately sad and empty without Logan.

When she cried, she cried out. The rain answered her call.

It began to softly, bitterly rain.


Hey its me. WOW talk about trying to convince yourself (desperately) that everything is (desperately) okay…well, that’s devastation…
So that's how we met. by Storms_rose
Symbols:
*...italics...*= thoughts
"...." = speaking
(In a phone conversation) ... = a pause for the person on the other side of the line to speak.

Disclaimer: I don't own any rights to any Marvel characters. Please don't sue me, I'm not poor but it reallllllly wouldn't be worth your effort. PLUS, how the hell is it that I'm the only one getting sued up in here????!!!

NOTE TO THA READER: Fina-fucking-ly you get to meet this mysterious relative! Things are and aren’t what you expect… Last chapter we saw Logan and Ororo part ways, wah! All sad like and stuff but now things take a different turn up shit creek.

~ Inside 417 Steeles Ave, Scarborough, Ontario~

Shaewn tapped his sneakers on the windowsill he was crouched in as his music blasted through his music player. He bobbed his head. He kicked the air and spun, slamming the air with his crazy limbs. He mouthed the lyrics he knew so well.
He didn’t have to worry about breaking something in his bare room. A double bed, a worn dresser that doubled as a desk, a plastic chair and a window love seat with a set of iron bars to prevent him running away. That was something he would always find incredible ironic: the fastest kid on the track team at East York Secondary couldn’t even leave his room.
“Oh well,” he muttered as the beat faded to change tracks.
“Talking to yourself again,” sneered the lean, tall blond boy, with fat checks he had inherited from his mother, standing at the door. “You can be such a cute little bitch when you actually try…”
Shaewn ran up and made as if to make a flying kick at Christopher’s face.
Chris shouted out, “Watch it, orphan!”
Shaewn smiled behind him, “The only reason you ever come up here is to torture or tell me it’s dinner time…let me guess which. Oh wait, it doesn’t really matter does it? Does she always have to bake crap?”
Chris clambered down the stairs after the taller, dark haired boy with piercing blue eyes, “It’s casserole. You should be grateful.”
“Grateful I survive every night,” he muttered. Louder he replied, “Exactly what I said: shit.”
Chris made as if to swat a fist at Shaewn’s head but Shaewn ducked and laughed.

Beexely stood solidly at the entrance of the door. How she hated him! His belligerent voice, the way he pulled perfect grades without even trying, the amount of girls who called for one sixteen year old boy!
She held the wooden spoon stiffly in her hands as he shoved his lemon scented hands under her nose, “Washed already, m’am.”
“Uh-huh,” she grunted. “Chris, did you fetch your brother?”
Chris smacked his head theatrically, “Aww no, shoot, mommy. Forgot; Shaewn, man, be a pal and call Matt for me, will ya?”
“You can’t do it your…whatever,” Shaewn got back up from his seat and ran up the stairs bellowing, “Matt, Maaaattttt! Com’on, grubs being served up!”
“I’m not hungry,” Matt shouted faintly down from the third floor.
“This is ridiculous,” Shaewn stomped up the two more flights to Chris and Matt’s room and pounded rapidly on the door. The wood splintered under the assault. Shaewn peered closely at the damage and swore silently to himself, “Matt, get your motherfucking ass out here you stupid cunt bitch or I swear to God I’m dragging you out. You pull this stupid shit all the time and I’m starved, even for that crap, now get the fuck out. Right now, you little punk!”
Everyday Matt went through his anorexia-induced-reluctance-to-eat crap and Shaewn had had enough of it. Beexely didn’t allow anyone to eat unless the “whole family” was at the table. So if Matt didn’t eat, no one did. And there was no sneaking out at midnight for a snack because she locked the cupboards and Shaewn’s door at night.
There was no escape from the gnawing hunger until the next morning… “Matt! Matt! Come on, buddy. Please, not tonight. I have practice early…you know what that means. No breakfast. Please, come ooooooooooon Matt. Please, please,” he begged as he slumped down the door.

They always sent him, the most ineffective at convincing the whiny twelve year old of doing anything, to go get him. Shaewn was sure Beexely gave Chris something to eat while they waited the half an hour this could usually take.
He reached up and tried to shake the knob that was usually locked. But not this time. It popped open to reveal Matt lay on his bed, his head up in shocked surprise, naked to the waist. He slowly put his head down. Shaewn looked down on him, all intentions of making good on his promise of dragging his bony Boy Scout ass downstairs, when Matt spoke.
“What did she make?”
“Casserole.”
“Well I think we both know where that’s going to end up.”
Shaewn sat down next to the reedy boy, watching him. His protruding stomach struggled to rise steadily, his ribs obviously clear cut, his light brown hair whispy.

*If I drag him down three flights of stairs for real, I’m going to hurt him without even mildly trying…*

“Despite the extreme joy I have of torturing you down to dinner every fucking night…come on, buddy,” he poked Matt’s belly. “It’s not that bad.”
Matt turned his head to look deep into Shaewn’s bright blue eyes with his listless own, “Yeah, you’re right. I could be you.”
Slowly Matt rose and grabbed his yellow soccer t’shirt, “You know I don’t try to make things shitty for you. Right?”
Shaewn sighed and looked away. He couldn’t look at that sick, sick boy anymore.
Feet clattered down the stairs until he grabbed Matt’s shoulder gently and hauled him back. He bit his lower lip, “You know what you’re doing…is sick, right?”
He didn’t give Matt a chance to respond, he just jumped down the last remaining steps and into the kitchen.
Beexely turned suspiciously on him as he caught her giving Chris a half of a casserole slice, “Where’s Matthew? We don’t eat-”
“Unless we eat as a family, eh, Mom?” Matt interrupted.
“Heeey, there, look at my big boy,” she cuddled his fragile head. “How was your day?”
He faded away from her arms and took his seat. Shaewn sat opposite Chris while Dan, a heavy, silent construction worker, took the head of the table. Chris smiled at Shaewn in a way that asked how did you get him down so fast?
Shaewn just stared him down. Eventually Chris gulped, and concentrated on the full slice of casserole his mother had just put down before him.
The table dissolved into conversation that surrounded the two brothers and excluded Shaewn. He didn’t care; that was how every dinner went. He just concentrated on figuring out from all different angles what parts of the especially thin, by his special request, casserole slice was edible.
Matt peered at him, his own plate filled with mashed mushy pasta slices and meat filling, and asked, “What are you doing?”
Noone had talked to Shaewn at the dinner table since his first meal, where Beexely had found out her son could be easily outshined. The whole family seemed to slow down to overhear the conversation. They didn’t stop talking but their voices seemed to lower, the subjects they turned to seemed nonsensical, and their eyes seemed far more averted than usual.
“Looking for the parts that won’t give me food poisoning,” Shaewn, unaware that anyone was listening, whispered. “Not much hope on this one. Switch?”
“Go to your room,” Beexely intoned. Shaewn shrugged and stood.
But as he stood Chris, in his most obnoxious form of bullying yet, pushed his chair over with his feet. Shaewn managed to avoid stumbling over it but Beexely looked at him as if he was the criminal.
Shaewn had had it, “You gonna just ignore that?”
“No. Pick that chair up, don’t treat our furniture like trash, and then go to your room, ungrateful.”
“They put you in the trash because they didn’t want you,” Chris whispered audibly.
Matt moaned aloud and his father gave him a disapproving look.
“Are you just going to ignore that?” Shaewn screamed at Beexely.
“Go to the room we have lovingly provided for you!” she screamed back. “Dan back me up on this in case he turns violent.”
“I’ve never been violent in my entire life! What the fuck are you talking about?” Shaewn tried to bring the level of his voice down but found it impossible. “Did you hear what he just said to me never mind what he just did?!”
“Don’t raise your voice to me like that!”
At this point Chris felt comfortable enough to raise himself in righteous indignation, “Yeah, don’t talk to my mommy like that after everything she’s done for you, you little shit bag.”
Matt moaned again and Dan rose to come towards him with an apprehensive expression on his face.
“Oh shut up, Chipmunk!”
“I don’t look like a chipmunk, bitch!”
“Oh please, whose the last female to call here for you except your Grandmother with those fat ass baby cheeks? You look like your mother.”
“Leave my son alone. Just because you were the wretched little orphan no one wanted doesn’t mean you have to take it out on the family who has done nothing but help and protect you from the harsher realities of,” Beexely took a step toward Shaewn with her wooden spoon but she never got to say the next words she meant to.
At that very moment, Matt fell back on his chair, nearly unconscious, his little hands in the air and almost reaching out for Shaewn. Dan, Chris, and Beexely scrambled around the wooden family table and bent over Matt with cries of concern.
“Ignore that too, Beexely,” the dark haired boy whispered. Shaewn looked down at the outstretched hands and whispered repeatedly in his mind, Sorry Matt, before making a tremendous leap over the entire bent family, the table, and the matching sink counter to the kitchen threshold.
He ran up the stairs so fast he barely knew the point when he reached his top bunk.
The cries, dry heaves caught in his throat, racked his 6’0 foot frame.

*I can’t believe I just left a twelve year old to that…but he’s right. He’s not me. And if that’s an advantage and a half in a crazy house like this I don’t know what is. This is…the worst thing that has ever happened here.*

He couldn’t stop crying into his pillow. An anorexic boy whose symptoms were being soundly ignored by his denser than stale white bread family had asked for help tonight and he had told him, glibly, “Sorry?”, as if there was nothing he could do.
Shaewn was tired of being transferred from family to family who seemed to always find something about him not worth loving, not worth caring about enough to adopt him. The worst part was it was true about his parents just dropping him off in the trash, unwanted even when he was at his cutest…who had they been? Had they ever thought about the boy in the trash again, with the banana peels and the smell of brandy all around, or had they forgot in some drug induced state? Was the abandon gene genetic? Would…
When the tears became dry white stains on the sheets and the shouts faded away, and the angry stomps locking him in his attic bedroom had come and gone, he found a wistful sleep, restless and angry, had claimed him at last.

~*~

~Outside of 417 Steeles Ave~

Logan shook his hair of water. It had been a long, hard hitchhike to Toronto from Windsor where he had crossed Lake Erie in the middle of the night. It hadn’t helped that it had rained ever since he had just finished his long swim. Lucky so he could avoid the Alpha creeps but annoying for his comfort.
He hadn’t been able to stop from when he had left the institute, nearly immediately dumping the bike outside the state in case Ororo was following him… but she hadn’t been. He had called Jubz, just to check in on the kid of course, outside of Michigan and he had found out Ororo had just carried on like nothing had happened and worse.

“…She’s not even sorta sad, Logie! You gotta come back and do something. What if she’s falling out of love with you?”
“Thanks kid…”
“Sssssssssoooorrrrrrryyyyyyy, but if I have to be the one to say it then so be it. You guys were so happy…why’d you have to go?”
“An adult thing-”
“…Oh please, Logan, I’m not three. Logie, Worthington is back and he has a cute friend who only has eyes for our Ro. You gotta get back here and get rid of him.” At this point she was whispering.
“Kid, everything alright…?”
“Nah-nas,” she used their code for ‘No, I’m not being forced to say everything is fine when it totally isn’t!’. “I just don’t want anyone to know I’m talking on the phone. You know how they’re sooooo nosey. Everybody here is okay except for Jean whose being all mopey and then all happy for no reason from one second to the next. But it’s Ro you have to rescue from some cute bachelor smooth talkin charm school graduate billionaire! Wow, I can’t believe I just said that…”
“Kid, I’ll see you later.”
“Wait! When?”
He paused because he didn’t want the tears to well up in his eyes, “Don’t know,” he replied gruffly.
He hung up and put his forehead on the cool surface of the dirty payphone. She wouldn’t be falling out of love…would she?

*How much had I hoped I’d been wrong? She was just concerned about me and I was an idiot to storm out like that…hadn’t I? Damn it, Ro…baby, I don’t want to miss you this much… especially when you don’t feel the same.*

He shook his head again of the rainwater and looked at the smudged address he had hastily written on a piece of paper and the matching building before him.
The sprawling townhouse in the dead center of Scarborough, Toronto was four floors including the functioning attic. Sunlight was fading into the chilly, wet summer night as view of the brown, crumbling brick with sturdy pipe work faded slowly from view.
No one was in sight or hearing.
Logan peeled his leather jacket off, tossed it in a heap behind a garbage can, and tucked the genetics page McCoy had printed off for him into his back pocket before crossing the street. He stealthily climbed the pipes to the attic.

He was surprised by the bars crossing the outside of the windowpane. He began sawing away at them while watching the lanky, muscular boy at the desk listening to music with his headphones. He could hear “Bad” by Michael Jackson playing, ironically, as the boy, his name Shaewn, tapped his foot in time to the tune. He appeared to be bent over some sheets and a textbook. Every once and a while he would scratch something onto the paper, muttering lyrics.
Logan assumed it was homework from his high school. Apparently the kid was a straight A student.
Finished with his work, Logan retracted his claws, popped open the rusty window, and stepped in.

Shaewn spun around. He had sworn he had heard something at the window but that was impossible…the bars!
“Holy shit, who are you?” Shaewn shook his head.” Fuck that, how did you get in here? The doors locked. Are you from Social services? I sure as hell hope so because I need to get outta here stat.”
Logan froze. Here he was, facing his greater fear, and he couldn’t think where to begin.
“Well? Don’t worry whatever that crazy lady told you is a lie. Have you seen her kid, Matt? You don’t look so good.”

*Why the hell didn’t I use the front door?*

“I hope I can go to the same school though. My track team is good this year. That’s right, my track team…I do most of the training anyway. I read up on stuff like that. You can sit,” Shaewn looked around and embarrassingly realized he’d never had anyone in his room before that had wanted to talk to him. “On the bed, I guess. Wait, take my chair. Sorry, nobody ever comes up here but me, you know?” He ushered the mysterious man to sit down at his desk and sat himself down on the bed. Shaewn stared at him.

*So is he going to say anything or just keep making this a really long and awkward moment…?*

“Ah’m not a social worker,” Logan managed.
“Oh.”
“Ah…look, I’m Logan and this is goin’ tah be hard fer you tah hear but I’m jus’ gonna say it: we’re related. It’s kinda complicated but if ya take out all the great this and uncle, cousin that you’ll see we got a faint connection between us. Not strong like but-”
Shaewn leaned forward, all business,” So you, you knew my parents?”
“No,” Logan pulled out the crumpled paper of proof and handed it to the kid. The boy took it shakily. “No, kid. Ah didn’t even know you existed till a friend o’ mine did a lil’ research. Been lookin’ for family all my life and… I don’t know. Ah wanted tah help you out. At least see you out. There’s been alotta false alarms.”
He stared at the paper. Smoothed it out on his knees, “That’s my name, Shaewn Dakota, this isn’t a fake,” he whispered. Eventually he tossed it on the bed, “So what does this mean? You jus’ wanted to see me? See what I’m like?” Shaewn rolled his eyes and strode to the door, his hand resting on the knob, “Thanks, but how does that help me besides me getting to see what kind of normal life I could be living if I wasn’t stuck in this hell hole? Thanks for the gesture but no thanks.” and then he tried to sweep the door open but it was still locked. He jiggled it and finally turned to Logan, “What’s going on?”
“I didn’t…look, I wanna take you outta here but only if that’s what you wanted, you know? Ah, look couldja’ jus’ sit a minute? Ah live up at this place in New York-”
“The city or the state?”
“Tha city, and we have this special school fer, you know, mutants like yerself and me-”
“What? I’m not a mutant. You’re a mutant? Where-”
“Ah didn’t use the door… Think Ah shoulda though. Ahem, I wasn’t thinking about that…”
“You’re a mutant,” Shaewn examined the sheets he’d been presented more closely. “Does this mean my parents were too? How am I a mutant? How can I be if I don’t even know it? Wouldn’t I know…”
“Accordin’ to McKoy yer really fast. Or will be…”
“You used the window? But what about the bars?”
“Don’t worry about that fer now. Ah jus’ wanted tah talk to you first before I did anything you wouldn’t want me to…”
“So are you or aren’t you going to get me the hell out of here?” Shaewn looked deeply into Logan’s eyes.
*This is his bottom line. If Ah say no he wouldn’t want to hear another word…*

“Yeah, I will if you want. But Ah can’t stay here because of some issues wit the government…”
“You’re a criminal?”
“Used tah sorta be in the army…agent stuff-”
“Like a secret agent? I thought all we had was the R.C.M.P? So what happened? Fall for a chick on the opposing team?” he said with a soft smile.
“Sorta. Fell fer the whole other team,” chuckled Logan.
Shaewn rose and silently pumped his fists in the air for five minutes in pure joy. Beexely screamed up at him to cut the noise. Both of them frowned.
“Please, just let’s go tonight. We can come back tomorrow can’t we?” Shaewn had never begged in his life. When families had told him it was time to go he had just accepted it but now…he couldn’t wait a single second more to be gone from this place he had for some insane reason called home. “You don’t understand-”
Logan hesitated, “Ah wanna do this right. If de government knows why Ah’m doin’ this they might…”
“No, it’s not the government coming after you that you should worry about…”

*Don’t tell me getting involved wit shady deals is genetic…*

“…It’s those bastards downstairs. They won’t want to give up their poster foster kid. They can’t give me up. Especially since they’ve been put on probation for two years cause of all the runaways they had. That’s why they secretly put the bars up. They think I don’t know but…you should only just know what one dinner with them is like and…ergh! For Christ’s sake, I’m locked in here! I’m a prisoner!
I can almost graduate early. I have two more credits to go and then I can do my SATs. I was going to go to a American university anyway for a track or marks scholarship. I’ve been saving all my money…I have almost 10, 000 dollars in Canadian dollars. I don’t have any clothes or anything, all my Cds are burnt, my CD player was won at a raffle…I can thrift shop like you wouldn’t believe. You wouldn’t have to support me financially. I just-”
“KID! Chill. We gotta do this legit. Ah got some pretty powerful friends in high places (literally.) who can pull some strings. Don’t worry about them. And trust me, Ah’ll help you wit everythin’ from now on. From now on we gotta be a team…”
Shaewn screwed up his eyes and flung himself at Logan, hugging him. He couldn’t speak, he just nodded. He could wait as long as it took.
Logan motioned at the door, “Some kid is coming.”
Shaewn nodded, “Chris the motherfucking chipmunk boy.”
Logan raised an eyebrow, “Close the window. And act natural during dinner.”
Shaewn turned to close the window and turned back, Logan was gone.

* Did I just imagine all that? Or is his mutant power to turn invincible? He doesn’t look like the disappearing type…and what the hell did he do to the bars? Does he have an axe in his back pocket for whenever the need arises? I mean what the fuck?…*

Shaewn looked around bewildered. Logan poked his head out from underneath the top bunk. Shaewn sighed and tried to figure out how the strange man had squeezed into the awkward spot.
Chris opened the door and dangled the key at the end of his fingers, “Come on, bitch.”
Shaewn only smirked and outran the other boy down the stairs. He sauntered past Beexely as if she didn’t exist and she smacked his fingers with the spoon, “Wash your hands. Just because you act like an animal does not mean you’ll eat like one at my table.”
“Right, like your slurping your food into your mouth is ladylike,” he muttered.
“What!”
“I said, what’s for dinner?” he tossed over his shoulder.
She didn’t answer him.
When he returned everyone was seated and waiting for him.
Beexely handed out hamburgers and everyone was silent. Shaewn looked guiltily at Matt. He didn’t want to leave the kid to this craziness and now that he was the one with the advantage, he might as well stick up for him as he had failed to the night before.
“How you feeling Matt?” he asked casually after swallowing his well chewed bite.
“Don’t speak with your mouth full,” Beexely said. “Matt you do not have to answer him.”
Matt looked up in surprise at Shaewn, “Fine.”
“Good,” Shaewn took another bite of hamburger. “I was worried, considering…”
“Considering what?” Chris smarmily picked up on.

*Have you ever resisted the chance to open your mouth? Doubt it…hope your listening, Uncle Logan. Just listen to how easy this is…*

“Last night he passed out and I never found out what happened after that. Considering that I was thus worried for his health. It doesn’t take much to figure that out, Chris. I mean I know the school thinks I’m brilliant but come on now…”
Chris’s whole face tightened. Today had been report card day, always a bad day to speak the words “school” or “education” to him. He ripped a hefty bite out of his burger and promptly choked on it. Dan smacked his back vigorously as Beexely gave Shaewn a dirty look.
He shrugged and turned back to Matt, “Did they take you to the hospital?”
Matt shook his head no as he looked distastefully at the huge burger on his plate.
Beexely gave him another look as she began pleading with Matt, “Matthew baby what did you and mommy talk about last night? Come on now, eat some of your burger. For Mommy?”
Matt gulped and only looked more repulsed by the immense burger.
Dan leaned forward, “No more of this crap, Beex. Boy, eat that shit up right now or I’ll tar your ass to Kingdom Come. Understand? I’m tired of seeing you so damn skinny. Hurry the fuck up and eat that burger.” It was the most Shaewn had ever heard him say at one time in his presence. His voice was like venom snake’s teeth grating against a washboard.
Chris’ face had blanched completely. He immediately sought to turn attention back on Shaewn, “Are you saying I’m stupid, Shaewn?” he said very loudly. It sounded shrill in the quiet.
“No.”
“Yes, you did-”
“Stop it, Chris,” Beexely screamed in the back of her throat. She turned smilingly back to Matt, “Mattbaby…”
“Mom, I’m really not hungry. I had a big lunch. And Dad I did the 5k at school today so that’s why I look so skinny…”
“What?” He said it so quietly and calmly Shaewn didn’t even look up. He didn’t see why what happened next happened.
Chris remained surprisingly silent, frozen in his own personal memories.
“What did you say, boy,” Dan repeated. “When I just told you to eat that burger?”
“I’m not really hungry on account of…”
“Are you calling me stupid?”
Shaewn looked up. The voice Dan was using was deeper and more menacing than before but it was exactly what Shaewn had always imagined Chris would eventually sound like… Beexely was staring at first him, then Matt, and then Chris with fear plain in her eyes, “Daannn-”
“Don’t whine my name like that, woman,” then Dan, faster than Shaewn had ever imagined him physically possible, stripped off his belt and began whipping Matt in the face screaming, “Don’chu ever call me stupid again…You hear? You hear? I could kill you right now, boy, you bettah watch your fuckin’ mouth…”

The first hit had Matt flying out of his chair and into the corner, and the second and others were harder because Dan had to move to reach the frail boy. Beexely and Chris sat at the table frozen, ignoring Matt’s pleas, as they silently cried.
Shaewn was momentarily frozen in shock before, faster than his complete thoughts, he had placed himself in between the belt and Matt. He shoved Dan away, at least what he hoped was Dan because everything was moving in blurs, and picked Matt up and ran to his room.

Beexely was only just beginning to scream when Logan felt a flash of wind pass him on the attic stairs landing. Logan ran back into the room.

Shaewn held Matt’s hand delicately, silently. Matt was crying as Logan shoved Shaewn over, checking for broken bones, “Pack. ”
Shaewn gulped and struggled off the floor, “I don’t have anything. Nothing. Except…”
He ran over and collected a set of notebooks from the bottom drawer of his desk and shoved them in his napsack. With his coat on, he was ready to go. He looked at Logan, who shook his head, “How long has this been going on?” he asked as he stood and tucked the Papers of proof in his back pocket.
“It’s the first time I’ve ever even seen Dan act like he’s more than a lump of clay! I guess he did it to Chris and-”
“Not that, the not eating thing.”
“God, awhile. I’ve been here six months. At first I just thought he was a picky eater…but how could you tell?”
“Most people don’t get a broken arm and two broken ribs from a belt. Even Dan’s alright, I expect.”
Shaewn wanted to feel bad about pushing Dan but he couldn’t. The senseless brutality of the beating had shocked and disgusted him. Sure, Matt did have a problem but that wasn’t the way to deal with it. Heck, that hadn’t even had anything to do with the problem… “We can’t leave him to them. They’re crazy.”
“I already called the police. An ambulance is on the way. We better put him on the porch and split. Now,” Logan put his hand on Shaewn’s shoulder and he nodded his head sadly.
Shaewn bent down to Matt’s ear, “I’m going to come back for you. Do you want that?”
Matt nodded delirious in pain, “I got some, ugh, money in my room. You need it more than me…”
“It’s cool, little man. Come on,” he knew this would hurt Matt either way so he delicately picked him up and ran blindly accidentally down the street before he knew what had happened.
He carefully walked back and placed Matt down on the shaded rocking bench. He passed his hand carefully over Matt’s sweaty forehead and whispered, “Soon. I promise my one and only friend.”
Then he turn and ran to join Logan across the street.
Inside Beexely screamed hysterically over her husband’s broken body laying crumpled on the floor, above the birch cupboards were splintered inwards with shards of glass and splinters of wood everywhere; and Chris standing, silently walked out to his younger brother and watched over him. He reached down to touch him but Matt turned his head away.

Logan noticed the kid never looked back.
Not when a whirl of ambulance and police poured past.
Not when neighbours open doors and windows in wonder.
Not once.


PHEW! That was maybe the longest ever! That’s what happens when you think you’re going to write a short chapter…it turns out to be the longest ever!!!
Another thing…usually I’m cool with flames but if anyone has a problem with the topics I might get a LITTLE mad because I have had a close and in-depth personal experience with abuse, being shifted from house to house like an orphan, being gifted, jealousy, having random important relatives show up, foster care, attempted runaways who did have to be barred in, using school as an escape, anorexia (except there were no Shaewns to step in, I had to do it myself)…so if you think this is over the top, just read my diary…you know what I mean? This chapter felt kind of cathartic so basically what I am trying to say is no flames on topics for this chapter because, except for mutant powers, I know what I‘m talking about. Of course as always style, grammar, and the such are in open season.
A Home at the Edge of the World by Storms_rose
A small yellow cab on it’s way back to the Mansion:

Ororo shoved a piece of Brent Cristopher a little further away from her. She had agreed to go house hunting with him, had somehow agreed to a dinner she didn’t want after, and found herself with a quickly drunk man laying on her shoulder on the cab back.
But she had pushed him away from her when he uncontrollably began morphing into different animal parts and people.
The cab driver had turned around in surprise, then had shrugged and kept on driving. He was close to the Mansion and he still had to get paid.

*Thank the Goddess, greed triumphs over fear in this city…*

She used her clutch to bat away an octopus arm wriggling towards the cabbie’s hat.
“Hey, lady, you can, uh, get that guy inside okay?”
“Trust me, I have friends inside who are adequately prepared to handle such a situation.”
He checked her out in the rear-view mirror, “I shoulda expected so.”
Brent morphed into a writhing her, in red lingerie, his leg propped seductively over Ororo’s right leg. She slapped him full in the face until he morphed partially into himself and his lower half became a bashful slug tail.

Finally they arrived. McKoy, Charles, Warren, and Scott were already outside, waiting on the front porch.

*Is all well, Ororo?*
*Be thankful, Charles, we have a very tolerant cabbie or we would be walking up this driveway…I think a sizeable tip is in order…*

McCoy immediately opened the car door with which Brent was leaning on and stuck a needle in his trembling arms. Brent murmured something unintelligible and allowed McCoy to drag his limp male body out and over his shoulder.
Charles and Scott were in hot conversation with the cab driver, reformulating memories and paying him huge wads of cash at the same time.

Warren was at the door when Ororo stepped, exhausted, into the mansion. She raised a hand to quell his apologies.
It didn’t work as he began.
“O, I cannot begin to tell you how sorry I am. I thought Brent would have had a lot more self control. I mean this just downright ridiculous. Geez, I’m really just sorry. It’s just Brent’s a cool guy until he actually goes out with a woman he really likes. Then all hell breaks loose, you know? He just freaked out, drank to overcompensate, and made a complete ass of himself. I’m really sorry. I didn’t know about Logan, as Jubz has been making me painfully aware, or I would never have encouraged him. He’s just a little idiot puppy eager to please…say something!”
“Well, now that I have a chance to speak I will,” Ororo frowned and thought back to some of her earlier personal thoughts in the cab. “I do forgive him. I do, he was simply over eager. I just hate to think that-”
“Think what, O?” Warren fell into easy step with her on the main stairs.
She turned to him, “That if the situation had been reversed, if I had made a complete fool of myself, would he be so easy to forgive me for such a truly annoying experience? I doubt it. And if he didn‘t feel there was a possibility of being forgiven by my easy nature, would he have done it? I doubt it. He would have been more careful, cautious, and as aware as I was that I, as a woman of good repute, am required to be…but never mind. Men never understand such things.”
Warren stood speechless on the stairs.

Ororo turned away from him and continued up the stairs and she was almost to her room when out of the shadows loomed a sizable, purple robed figure.
Ororo startled back with a small scream before she realized the shadow was Jubilee.
“How could you?”
“Excuse me, Jubilee, but I have no idea what you are talking about. It’s been a tiring night…”
“How could you just fall out of love with Logie so quick? I thought you really loved him. Now he’s gone.”
Ororo sat down on the stairs. “I am exhausted, Lee. I have just suffered the most annoying, possibly torturous night of my life that just won’t end…let me pass.”
Jubilee sat next to her.
“But Logie,” she whimpered. “You were why he stayed. Even I couldn’t get him to do that. Now he says he doesn’t know when he’s coming back.”
Ororo perked up. “You spoke with him? When?”
“AGES AGO,” quailed the young girl.
“There is a difference between a week ago, two days ago, and ages ago. Jub-jub, you’re a big girl now and you know that. Which is it?”
“Uggh, a week and a half a day ago. Where could he be, Ro? What if he’s hurt?”
“My child, I trust he is quite safe until he sends sign of otherwise-”
“By then it might be too late,” Jubilee interrupted emphatically.
“…Until then why don’t we share the same bed tonight: misery beckons.”
Jubilee looked up through her tear stained lashes.
“Mm-kay.”

They huddled together in the dark expanse of sheets.
“O? You asleep?” Jubilee hissed.
“No.”
“Do you ever at least worry about him?”
“Every moment.”
“Do you still kinda love him even though he left and all?”
“Yes I do.”
“Is it just because Brent turned out to be such an idiot? I mean, what a loser, you know?”
Ororo throatily chuckled, “No, I love him independently of Brent’s foolish ways.”
“Good otherwise I couldn’t tell you this. Back when he thought he hung up the phone when he called me but he didn’t. I could hear him crying cuz he thought you didn’t love him anymore…do you ever cry about him?”
“Child, please.”
Ororo snuggled in even closer with the girl as she allowed herself to cry again for the first time since Logan had left.

In Toronto, Canada:

Logan and Shaewn got on the RT to the TTC . They took the subway to the Downtown core without much comment between them. Shaewn could feel his stomach clenching and unclenching. He knew now he was a mutant. He wondered if he’d made speed his mutant ability by wanting to run away so bad all of the time.
“Let’s get ya somethin’ tah eat,” his uncle said.

*Thank God, I’m starved. *

It took a minute to realize he was never going to be beaten with hunger again. He smiled as the two of them walked into the Licks burger joint. That made him lose his smile again. He had to go back for Matt.

*Funny how just a few nights ago, it was better to be anyone but me and now I’m making plans on how to rescue others. Well, no one else should have to suffer what I did. Well, maybe except Chris. He could stand to lose the pounds.*

They ordered and when the food came Shaewn tore into it viciously. Logan ate more slowly, looking over the kid in wonder. It was crazy how alike they were.
Same crazy, black hair.
Same indefinable attitude.
Listening to the kid taunt the chipmunk cheeked boy was what he imagined him and Scott would have sounded like as kids.
He could see the places the kid still had left to fill out.
And even though he was only sixteen he clearly shaved every other day.
Logan smiled. Shaewn looked up to see his uncle staring at him and his food barely touched.

*Except his eyes are way bluer than mine. More like Ro’s.*

Logan sighed.
“You not hungry?” Shaewn asked. The more Logan looked on the more differences he saw. The kid was lean, the way a person was drawn to look lean with long fingers, arms and legs but not gangly. His voice was even and might be quick to laugh. He had a tiny scar along his mouth so he was without his healing factor, at least yet, if he ever was going to have one. His hair had obviously been self cut and meant to give a sort of accidental rocker look. His backpack was still on.
Logan shook his head no. “You want it?”
Shaewn took his plate and started in.
“God,” Logan stared in disbelief. Where was the kid putting his fourth burger and third helping of fries with another set to go. “When’s the last time you ate?”
Shaewn shrugged, his mouth full.
Logan put his hands under his chin, so like those last moments with Ororo, and asked the kid, “What’s in the bag? You said you didn‘t have anything to take except that.”
Shaewn looked up and swallowed before answering. “Well, I guess cause, and only cause, we’re family I can show you. It’s not even that good but I’ve had these awhile. The only things I’ve had forever,” he said as he pulled several binders out of his bag. He placed two in front of Logan and replaced the rest in his bag. “I don’t really show people this because a lot of it is of people I know. Or at least started with them but then it turned into something else. They might have thought I was making fun of them.”
Logan opened the book. Sketches.
People, dragons and unicorns, superheroes, some signed with the names of friends, buildings, two paintings of different girls…it was a sketch book.
“These are amazing,” Logan told him. “I mean, they’re real good.”
“Thanks,” he beamed. “Hey, check these out.” Shaewn pulled the pages to the back. Thousands of miniature dragons decorated the inside back cover. “These are my favourites.”
Logan nodded and continued to slowly go through each page.

Eventually he spoke again, “We’ll sign you up for art when we get to X.”
“X?”
“Ever hear of Charles Xavier’s School for the Gifted?”
“No.”
“It’s a school for mutants like ourselves. I’ve been there for awhile and that’s where we’re going to go. Except I’m fucked if I know how we’re going to get across the border.”
“I thought you said you were a secret agent,” Shaewn whispered. “Or did you make that up?”

*What if I’m following some crazy dude?*

Logan made his eyes connect with the kid’s. “Look there’s a lot we got to explain to each other. I don’t know nothing’ bout raising kids. And you haven’t been raised a whole lot in your life. And there’s a lot about me to learn. Ever hear of the X-men?
“Yeah, who hasn’t?” Shaewn said before it hit him. “You?”
“Yeah, and there’s a lot more to that story but not tonight. Listen, we need to get to our hotel and get some sleep. It’s been a long night for you.”
“Where can we go? It‘s too late to rent anywhere.”
“A friend of mine, one of the high up people I was telling you about, has a room over at the Hilton. We’re staying there.”
“Umm, wow, the Hilton’s kind of expensive. You don’t have to, well, not on my behalf, I guess,” Shaewn stuttered.
“It’s free,” Logan smiled. Something he hadn’t consciously done since leaving Ro. He did it now to try and put the kid at ease. “Besides, you’ll probably like it more than any of my other friend’s places in Toronto.”
“I have so many questions. Like starting with what do you want me to call you?” Shaewn said as Logan paid their tab.
“Logan is what everybody else calls me,” he said. He felt a stab in his gut. Juubz never called him anything besides one of her many versions of Logie. “And I got some questions of my own but let’s wait until morning. Then I gotta make some calls.”
“Okay.”

When the boy had finally stopped crowing about his suite in Warren’s penthouse and gone to bed, well actually passed out on his bed, Logan called Charles. It took all his mental strength to not dial Ororo’s extension instead.

“Chuck?”
“Logan, what a pleasant surprise. How is Canada treating you?”
“Look Chuck, I’m up to my elbows in it. I found the kid and he can’t stay with those fucking idiots he’s with. The night ended with the police being called.”
“Logan you didn’t-”
“Actually that family was so fucked up they imploded right in front of me and the kid. Shit, he made a promise to help somebody. But anyway first, we gotta figure out how to get across the border as fast you can get us out. Then I‘ll come back for the other one.”
“How long do you think you can stay at Warren’s? Wait, what other one?”
“It won’t even be a couple of days before the police are really out in force for this kid,” he sighed over the phone. “We gotta go, Chuck. Like now.”
Charles sighed, “I believe I have a solution but you must accept it as is. As fast as you need us, I don‘t see any other solution.”
“Anythin’ besides Sabretooth,” he joked.
“I could send Ororo and Jean to transport you across the border to a waiting car. The jet would be too obvious.” The breathe in Logan’s throat caught.

*Ororo…can’t think of myself. Or her. It’s gotta be about the kid now.*

“Yeah that sounds good. But the kid has some goods he can’t get wet.”
Charles paused before responding, “I’m sure the ladies can arrange something around a small thing like that. Logan,” he began before hesitating. “If I could be more discreet, I would.”
Logan nodded. “Yeah, I know you like to watch out for our feelings. Someone-”
The kid. The kid had snuck up and was listening in while he had been distracted.
“Logan? Are you alright?”
“Yeah, uh, someone’s gotta do it. Thanks.”
“They can be there by tomorrow evening, or actually the morning after,” Charles continued, oblivious to Logan’s distress.
“We’ll stay low.”
“Logan, I must say I am eagerly awaiting both you and your nephew’s arrival.”
“Yeah, thanks. We’ll be there soon. Y‘all meet him then.”
And he hung up.

“Hey, kid, get in here,” he said after a few minutes.
The kid came silently plodding in. “Sorry, I just wanted a -”
“Look it’s no good us lying to each other. You wanted to know what my mutant powers are? I have really sensitive senses. I can hear ya breathing in your suite.”
“Wow.”
“There’s more but that’s enough for tonight.”
“Yeah, I mean I guess we have to learn about each other as we go.”
“Yeah something’ like that.”
“Okay, that makes sense,” Shaewn paused. “Where are we going?”
“To Windsor. I’m going to have to borrow one of Warren’s cars to do that.”
“This Warren guy must be really rich.”
“Not as much as the guy I was just talking to.”
“How do I learn to make friends like yours?” Shaewn joked.
“First you make enemies with all the scum of the earth until the best people in the world take pity on you,” Logan answered, half serious. He sighed, “Good night kid. Get some sleep. We’ll need it.”
“Okay.” Shaewn turned back at the door to say, “And thanks for thinking of Matt and my stuff. It’s going to be hard for me, you know, not being on my own anymore.”
“Yeah, me too.”

~In the car~

Ororo stared out the window listlessly. She missed Jubilee. The girl had been in withdrawal ever since Logan had left and Ororo had enjoyed her company, even when it was sulky. A part of her thought Jubilee was making sure she saved Ororo for Logan. But the rest of her thought Jubilee just might enjoy Ororo’s company as well.
Jean had talked non stop since they left the mansion.

Ororo pulled her book out of her purse and, without warning, began ignoring Jean.
“Hey, are you listening to me?” Jean asked twenty minutes later.
Ororo didn’t even mumble.
“Ororo!” Jean screeched.
“Jean, what have you even been talking about for the past couple of hours?” Ororo and Jean were close in a way that always simmered rather than boiled. They had been the only two girls in the mansion in the beginning and had drawn together out of necessity rather than choice. “I hate it when you do that.”
“Do what?”
“Speak to hear your own voice.”
“Okay, here I am thinking I’m divulging my relationship issues but really I was just talking crap. Way to sympathize. I know you’re depressed because Logan left. But you had to expect that. He leaves everyone. His rages? He even leaves himself, Ororo, no exceptions. I cannot believe you did not expect that,” Jean was snapping by the end.
Ororo went back to ignoring Jean.
“Urg, sometimes you are so impossible. Get off your high horse, I mean really!” Jean muttered but drove on in silence.
Slowly some of what Jean had been saying began to sink into Ororo.

How could she already be dissatisfied with her husband? They’d been through so much. Scott was her rock, why would she let him slip away from her?

Perhaps Ororo had been too callus ignoring Jean.
“Jean,” she said.
Jean ignored her.
“Jean, tell me what’s the matter. I promise I’m listening this time. I worry for you and Scott. What could be wrong?”
“Well besides the fact that I never noticed how boring he was before. He’s so dull! Don’t tell anyone but sometimes I watch him and realize how much I despise his dry tedious attitude to life. And even worse, I haven’t had my period yet. I’ve never been regular but, what if I’m having his boring, tedious baby?”
“Goddess, Jean, what makes Scott so dull now? He’s very,” And Ororo faltered. She knew a person could care and not love. She had no words.
“Exactly. He’s, he’s, he’s so Scott.” Jean pushed a stubborn lock behind her ear. “You were lucky with Logan. He’s never dull. Did he ever make you do it in the kitchen? I almost died because you think someone is going to come in any second. Who knows if he’ll say anything…Ororo?” Jean stopped to look at her friend carefully. “Ororo? Are you okay?
“Jean, I never want to talk about Logan with you. Ever. Again. Do you understand?” It wasn’t a question.
“Yes, sure. Okay, fine. I just didn’t want to talk about Scott anymore.”
“Let’s not talk at all.”

The rest of the drive passed in silence.

In Toronto, at the same time:

“Wow.”
“Stop saying that.”
“WOW. I mean seriously, wow!”
“Shaewn cut it out. I mean it.”
“Okay,” Shaewn said. He stopped ogling the room service food menu for a few minutes before starting up again.
“Can I-”
“Shaewn,” Logan snapped. “Order anything you want! Order everything if you want. Just don’t make yourself sick.”
“Oh,” Shaewn cackled as he marched over to the phone. “I won’t.”

Logan rolled his eyes and went out on to the balcony to smoke his cigar. For the past two days he and the boy had remained shut ins except when Logan went to get supplies and take out. The sky had cleared up as he lit up his cigar.
Sighing he knew, he could feel her, coming closer. In between getting typical boy gear advice from Jubilee and talking to Charles’s lawyers he’d done well ignoring the fact that in a matter of hours he and the boy would pull on their new clothes, carry their new suitcases out of the Hilton, and come face to face with Ororo. He wondered if she’d changed since he’d last seen her. Perhaps…no, no excuses he told himself as he considered running to his cabin.

He turned when he heard Shaewn tap on the door. He nodded for him to approach.
“So what’s the plan again?” Shaewn asked. Logan looked at him. Everytime Logan reiterated the plan he appeared nervous. And yet, he begged often to hear it again and again.
“My friends come and pick us up in the car. We drive to Windsor timing for a nightime arrival. We cross over using their powers-”
“Tell me what their powers are again.”
“Jean, the redhead, is a very powerful telepath and telekinetic. That means she can read your mind and move things with her mind.”
“She’s the one who can be scary, right? That’s why you taught me those mind shielding techniques?”
“Yup. Then, ahem, Ororo-”
“Why do you get like that when you talk about her?”
“What are you talking about?”
Shaewn leaned his weight on the balcony railing as he enjoyed the view.
“Wistful. You sound wistful.”
“Kid, I coughed. Anyway, she can control the elements of nature. So she’s just as powerful but in a different way. You’ll like her. Lots of the kids do.”
“Uh huh.”
Logan looked at Shaewn. Well, the back of his head.
“I know you’re almost done high school here,” he continued as he decided to ignore Shaewn’s attitude about Ororo. “But Charles is going to give you some tests and figure out where you stand on his scale. You’ve got a lot to learn about your powers. And anyway sixteen is a bit young too go off to university.”
Shaewn laughed. “I’ve skipped a grade. And its weird.”
“What?”
“I’ve never had anybody get all mushy about me leaving before,” he cackled as he turned around. “And don’t pretend you’re not.”
Logan grinned. The kid could call him on his bullshit faster than anybody he knew except maybe Jubilee, who knew him better. The doorbell rang and the moment was broken as Shaewn dashed to go get his feast. Logan wrinkled his nose half in disgust and half in disbelief. The kid had ordered everything on the menu. Then he wondered if he’d manage to get any of it.

This is how Ororo and Jean found the two of them. Shaewn diligently making his way through a table of food and Logan looking on in disgust.
Jean unlocked the door with a key she produced from her pocket.
“Where did that come from?”
“Oh you know,” Jean shrugged off Ororo’s question. “Warren must have lent it to me at some point.”
Ororo said nothing but marched into the room. She smiled at the taller version of Logan stuffing his face and pointedly ignored Logan himself. Logan stood and walked toward Ororo, unsure of what he was going to do next.
Jean stepped forward and hugged him, in the interception of the year.
“Logan! It’s been too long since we last saw you. You’re missed at the house. But now you’re back, back, back!!!”
Logan peeled her off of him. “Uh yeah.”

“Hello, I’m Ororo,” Ororo said as she outstretched a hand to Shaewn’s back. Shaewn turned around and choked on his third frappicino and a chicken wing in his hand.
“No wonder,” he said out loud. He wiped his hands on his new pants leg absently before shaking the offered hand. “I mean, hi, I’m Shaewn, Logan’s uh-”
“Nephew,” Ororo supplied. “We’re happy to meet you. I’m glad you’re nearly ready because time is short.”
Shaewn nodded and put on his backpack. Logan raised his eyebrows. He’d never seen his nephew leave food on the table before. Jean quickly introduced herself and the three of them made their way downstairs through the private elevator. The elevator was small and Logan manoeuvred himself beside Ororo in the back of the tiny room.
He couldn’t speak but he stared at her, getting in her scent, and willed his hand not to caress her cheek. Ororo stared straight into Jean’s back as if drilling a hole there. Logan licked his lips as the bottom of his stomach churned. So she had forgotten him? Well, he deserved it. He looked forward to a four hour trip where he could sit by her before letting her go again.

Shaewn eagerly chatted with Jean but as the trip progressed the talk pattered out to silence. No one turned on the radio. The highway passed pleasantly outside their window. The scratches of Shaewn’s pen could be heard until eventually he fell asleep as all the food he’d consumed caught up with him.
Jean had already fallen asleep, at first faking it but she submitted to the ache in her bones from the long drive earlier and the boredom of the car.

Logan took a deep breathe before he opened his mouth to speak.
“Don’t.”
She said it so quietly even he thought he might have misheard. The sun was setting and the shadows lengthened and gathered. Her hands clutched the wheel so tightly her knuckles were red from the effort. Logan turned his body away from her so she couldn’t see his chest cave in. He assumed the billionaire had done his charming well but not only that, he himself was the one who had pushed her away so senselessly. The quiet of the car remained except now Logan could hear Ororo’s laboured breathing.

The trip across the Lake was uneventful and, except for Shaewn drawn out exclamations about the jet, the ride to the school was equally uneventful.
A Thousand Sighs by Storms_rose
The beginning of November…

Jubilee paced the lounge. Shaewn, Henry, Remy, Rogue, Kitty, and Jean sat on the couches watching her go back and forth endlessly.
Kitty tapped her foot impatiently. “Jubes, why did you call us here?”
“A mission?” Shaewn asked eagerly. He’d heard everything about the X-men and was now desperate to join. His first mission would be Matt. A currently sticky situation at best. According to Logan, Matt was now in the foster system himself. Unfortunately his mother and father were fighting to get him back. Shaewn couldn’t see how he could possibly rescue anyone but he’d figure it out. The X-men, heck Wolverine, had been in tighter situations. They managed to get him out of the country legally with the help of some very mysterious people who, upon meeting Shaewn, all shook his hand with something bordering on apprehension and triumph. He guessed he wasn’t an easy case and they wanted to finally see who the ruckus was about.
“Ah doubt it,” Rogue said, fingering her necklace with her gloved hand. Charles had finally managed to talk some sense into her and she wore the collar with more caution and discretion. “Cuz then you wouldn’t be here.”
Jean shrugged her shoulders. “It’s a little obvious, don’t you think? You want to get Ororo and Logan back together.”
Jubilee stopped pacing. “Well, they were good together, weren’t they?”
Shaewn frowned. “My uncle would be with her if he wanted to, wouldn’t he? I mean yeah, he might miss her some but if he loved her why isn’t he with her then?”

Everyone except Remy looked away uncomfortably.
“Hommes, you got it so twisted Ah know for a fac’ you musta made that up. No one tells you anything’ huh? They don’t wanna hur’ yo’ feelings, petit. An’ the facts is, is it is Logan’s right tah tell you the truth. None of us,” Remy looked pointedly at Jubilee who stared at the ceiling. “Has the right to take that away from him.”
“Well that’s a crapshot then,” Shaewn retorted his arms folded over his new t-shirt. “He won’t talk about her. At all. What happened? We all know I can get the gossip anytime I want. I would have too but Logan told me not to listen to any gossip about him. You guys are his friends so you should know what happened? What or who caused this so called momentous break up?”
Henry shifted in his seat. “Jubilee?”
“Stay there, Blue,” Jubilee ordered. She stood in front of Shaewn, her face determined. “I didn’t know at first whether I should invite you to this but as this problem surrounds you I guess we can’t get away from that. Basically, you’re the reason they split up.”
“I guess Ororo couldn’t handle two of you,” Jean added.
Kitty glared at Jean. “What are you talking about? Ororo loves having you around. It’s Logan whose the problem.”
“Once again,” Remy interrupted. “This only illustrates how lil’ everyone knows about why they really broke up. Ororo won’ talk about it neither. Trust me, I’m her bes’ friend and she won’ tell me shit.”
Rogue laughed, “An’ boy does it piss him off!”
Kitty and Jean joined in Rogue’s laughter as Remy tried to look angry.
“You guys,” Jubilee screamed. “This is serious! There are two broken hearted people wandering these halls and none of you want to do anything about it?”
“I don’t see what we can do, sweetheart,” Henry tried to helpfully point out as everyone stood except Shaewn.
They filed out leaving an open mouthed Jubilee behind. She flopped down beside Shaewn.
“I can’t believe they don’t care. I can’t believe they think there is nothing to be done. They just want them sad and alone because, because, because they’re assholes! You’ll help me, right?” Jubilee touched Shaewn’s arm. He remained rigid.
“Don’t believe Jean, Shaewn. I’ve known them both a lot longer than you. Ororo loves almost everybody and she really likes you. I can tell. I have no idea why she would say something like that.”
Shaewn stood up and walked out. Jubilee put her hands to her head and sighed.

In Ororo’s office:

Jean surveyed the room dispassionately. It was pin drop neat with several nick nacks lining a few of the bookshelves and picture albums stacked like pillars rested on her desk. A picture frame laying face down on the window ledge was the only thing out of place. Jean picked it up and laughed.
A picture of Jean, Scott, Remy, Ororo, and Logan on Jean and Scott’s wedding day. Ororo smiling in her plum peach wedding dress with Remy’s arm around her and him pointing idiotically at something out of the camera’s view. Her staring into her new husband’s eyes as he stared perfunctorily at the camera. She faintly remembered him even whispering cheese. And Logan, clearly goaded into the picture, looking handsomely bored. She frowned. He wasn’t staring off into space. He was staring at either Ororo or her, she couldn’t quite tell with the way the photo was taken.

Jean smashed the photo down and heard the glass crack.
“Damn,’ she whispered to herself. She quickly made her escape from the office.

In the West Kitchen:

Logan swigged some of his beer which he quickly hid as he heard familiar steps. Shaewn came around the corner and stopped when he saw Logan. Logan smiled at him and Shaewn couldn’t resist smiling back.

The younger boy took a stool, toying with his fingers.
“How’s your classes?”
“Good, good. Not as smart as I thought I was.”
“Ah well. Told you sixteen is too young anyway.”
“Yeah. Too young,” Shaewn let his voice drift away. Staring out the window until Logan followed the trail of his eyes. It wasn’t like he didn’t know she was there, he always knew where she was, but maybe Shaewn saw something else. “She’s beautiful.”
Logan grunted and stood. The kid asked about Ororo exactly twice before giving up. The first time had been before the crossing of Lake Erie where Logan answered so gruffly Shaewn didn’t bring it up again until after his midterm exams.
“Got work to go do and so do you,” he said, breaking the silence. “You’re finished now officially with your old school. By the way, I saw your work on your exams. That was an impressive essay on astronomy even McCoy could see it. I’m proud of you. If we had a fridge I‘d stick it up on it.”
Shaewn turned to him and smiled faintly.
“Now get to work cause this is where it gets hard. Xavier’s isn’t satisfied until your brain is a crammed to the fucking hilt with information.”
“Yeah, I just got my physics textbook. I think my brain just pissed itself.”
Logan grunted, unable to even smile at the crack, and left. Shaewn remained where he was, watching the woman play in the light dusting of early snow with two people he didn‘t know. The two people were young though, younger than him. When they moved on he sighed and left the room.

Later in the Danger Room:

Rogue, Remy, and Ororo stood in the center of the large room. The metal sheen covering the entire room rippled twice before it darkened. Ororo was the only one to smile.
“We know the drill. We fight as an Alpha team with no Beta team back up,” she said to the pair behind her as she tugged her gloves on a little tighter. “Now Henry, please throw everything you have at us.”
Henry smiled and the world turned over from darkness to light. They were in the blinding Artic, with the freezing cold included, as the group turned around.
Approaching the group were fifteen warriors. The small group went into action. After this group were roundly beaten the world turned under their feet again.
“X-men one Danger Room zero,” Remy laughed even though his gut threaten to rebel against the mind bending roller coaster of the virtual room changes. The Overlord laughed with him and Remy rolled his eyes. “Funny, mon ami.”
Henry laughed and pulled through several programs before being forced to stop after only an hour. Something was wrong as Rogue gave the emergency code. The Danger Room went on automatic as did Henry, who grabbed his medic kit before running to the entrance.

It was Ororo. She’d passed out and began shaking spastically. Henry reached the cluster, Remy with Ororo’s head in his lap and his thin staff in between her teeth. Rogue was holding her hand with her gloved ones and stroking it sympathetically.
“Ah didn’ wan’ her to bite off her own tongue or something’,” Remy cried out in panic.
“You acted well my friend,” Henry told him as he felt for Ororo’s pulse. It was strong and the shaking had stopped before Henry had even arrived. “We need to get her to the medical bay. I need to run some basic tests.”
Ororo slowly opened her eyes. Rogue cried out and they all leaned in close to what she might say.
“Logan?” she whispered as her eyes opened fully. Silently everyone watched as Ororo groaned and fainted again.

News travelled quickly to almost the entire school about Ororo over the day. By dinner nearly everyone had heard and watched out for Logan. Except he couldn’t be found. Shaewn was beside himself searching. Finally he found Kitty who directed him to the garage.
“Trust me, it’s where he sulks. Be careful,” she warned him as she skipped off. Shaewn noticed she knew everybody’s business. Inside the school no one was safe from her even his mysterious uncle. Which was why Jubilee recruited her for her team. He wondered what purpose the others might have served. What he might have done.

He found Logan exactly as Kitty described.
“So this is your work? Not bad,” Shaewn called out. “Where can I find some just like it?”
Wolverine’s jaw worked as he put down his screwdriver and approached the boy. His nose was red from the cold and running. He’d just returned and had only had the tool in his hand from habit. Stretching his neck he felt the Logan part of himself returning.
“You hear what happened to Ms. Munroe or you going to go on pretending how much you don‘t care?” Shaewn asked.
“What the hell happened ter her?” Logan roared as he turned around.
“I don’t know. No one does,” and this was the truth as Shaewn knew it and choose to give it. He tried another tactic. “Tell me what happened between you two? Did you even love her? Do you still?”
“I loved her and I was an idiot with her. Perfection is fragile. Now she could have anyone else, someone else. Now tell me where to find her.”
“You loved her?”
Logan stared at the beams that crossed the garage ceiling and sighed. It sounded more like a dying man’s last rattle.
“She’s in the medical bay, unconscious, but stable.”
Logan stalked out of the garage, the door slamming behind him. The echo rang around the room.

Two hours later:

Shaewn knocked on Jubilee’s room. She let him in, mildly shocked. He squinted at the amount of bright and shiny items that occupied the small space.
“Nice room,” he said, shielding his eyes, and thought of his own still bare room. Somehow he couldn’t bear to fill it up quite yet with things. He’d never owned his own things per say and to do so now took getting used to.
“Thanks,” Jubilee said and offered him a seat. She was unsure of why he was there and popped her gum loudly out of habit.
“You gathered everyone at that meeting for a reason. Why?”
“You cause you’re the link to Logan that he wouldn’t suspect of even trying to manipulate his relationships, Jean because she’s our link to Ororo. You two could place those two wherever we want them simply. Kitty because she’s our internal source. She knows the people of this school like she has a blueprint of our brains, she knows everyone’s habits. Remy is a master thief with connections to all the romantic parts of the city. Can’t hurt, right?” Jubilee ticked everyone off on her fingers and as she became more excited about her plan her voice rose and her smile widened at the brilliance of it. “Rogue is the muscle and not to mention connected to both sides. Anyone who doesn’t want to cooperate with a kid like you or me wouldn’t ever want to face her, that’s a fact. And well Henry is obvious. You sometime think you don’t need a surveillance guy but ya always do. Always. Besides, everyone in that room care very much about those two.”
“Funny, femme, I was t’inking de same t’ing,” came from the door. Remy entered the room with Rogue behind him.
Rogue punched Jubilee lightly. “Muscle?”
Jubilee giggled with pure glee. “Remy you can convince Kitty to do anything. And Henry can be puppy eyed into this. That leaves Jean.”
Remy shook his head. “Lemme take care o’ dat.”
“Ah would like to remind everyone this won’t be easy. We have no idea how they both feel about each other,” Rogue interrupted.
Shaewn shook his head at this before speaking up, “He loves her now more than he did then.”
Remy and Rogue nodded.
“Good. She loves ‘im too.”
Jubilee clapped her hands excitedly. “Ooo yeah! Let’s do this! Love by Christmas?”
“Uh, maybe New Year’s. Maybe,” Shaewn said doubtfully as he thought of his two missions: Matt and Uncle Logan.
The Endless Hello, No More Goodbyes by Storms_rose
Symbols:
...italics...= thoughts
"...." = speaking
... = In a phone conversation, a pause for the person on the other side of the line to speak.

Logan rubbed his eyes. The clock said two thirty in the morning but he couldn’t believe it. It felt like days since he’d sat down by her side. There had been no one in the room, even Remy mysteriously absent from the med bay, and late at night. Ororo lay on the bed, peaceful but still unconscious, and alone.
Blinking in the grayish light that seeped in from the hall, Logan took her hand. It was warm but limp. Shaking his head, he cursed.
“Ororo, honey,” he said. “Ororo baby it’s time to wake up. Please wake up.”

But she remained there, still. He put his head to her chest so he could hear the sure thumping of her heart and sighed. He hadn’t been this close to her in longer than forever. He felt so alone as if he was just a shadow, walking among the living, every day going through the motions. He knew it was all his fault. Snorting, he knew she knew it was all his fault which was why she didn’t want to talk to him. If he’d known her last words to him would be “Don’t” he would have been happier at the time, cherishing the moment as only a desperate man can.

After a while he removed himself from her and went back to his seat. He was exhausted, down to his bones, from his habitual afternoon sixty mile run. But that’s what it usually took for him to fall asleep lately. With his whole body in shut down from being pushed to its absolute limit, his brain usually shut down in response.
Last night he’d come home to one of his worst nightmares and refused to sleep, keeping watch over Ororo until sleep had gently slipped over him.

Henry entered the room and smiled as he checked the machines readings. He’d been doing this on an hourly basis and since midnight Logan had been so fast asleep even he didn’t hear him come in. The hulking mass had moved, his snoring stopped, since Henry had last been in.
“Awake?” he mouthed, knowing Logan could hear what he was saying.
Logan looked up at him and Henry turned away in shock but covered it with a cough and pretended to be checking his chart. In the dim light Logan looked as haunted as he’d looked at his very worst.
Henry looked to the ceiling and muttered his catchphrase sadly, “My stars and garters.”

Logan looked down at Ororo, afraid to take her hand again in case she might hear about it.

*Me? Afraid? YES.*

He didn’t know what she would say to him being here considering how she felt about him. Much less his touch, considering she had a new boyfriend. He should have expected he scolded himself. Ororo was everything any man could want and more. Just because he had been blind to it on more than one occasion didn’t mean other men, smarter men, would too. Why should she stay alone for him? Waiting until he grew up and made up his mind about how he felt about her. It was weird to regret one of the best nights of his life. He’d gained Shaewn but the price had been steep.

“She’ll should wake in a few hours, my friend,” Henry said finally.
Logan nodded. “Do me a favor? Don’t tell her I was here.”
Henry nodded before leaving the dark room.

In a secret meeting:

Shaewn rolled his eyes. “So let me get this straight: you don’t have a plan?”
Remy laughed, “Love ain’t an exact science, right chere?”
Jubilee pouted, “Yeah and I don’t see you coming up with any brilliant plans yourself. I got everyone here at least!”
They were all in Ororo’s room making battle plans at Remy’s suggestion. He figured she wouldn’t be using it for the night and no one, besides him of course, would dare enter without her permission. Besides it was the one place they could be sure Logan was avoiding like the plague. Logan had been unseen since Shaewn had made him aware of Ororo’s condition.
Kitty sighed, even she didn’t know where Logan was and that bothered her.
The group were no closer to creating a plan that everyone could agree on. Some were beyond convoluted and others were borderline miracles. Jubilee, Shaewn, Rogue, Remy, and even Kitty (a state that usually required Drake) were getting heated from the bleak prospects.
“We need something we can all agree on,” Kitty said, twirling her long brown hair around her finger in concentration. “Something that stands a chance!”
A knock came at the door and everyone looked at each other, stricken.

Had Ororo been release early? Remy motioned for them to follow his lead.

Remy opened the door as casually as he could while remaining cautious. If it was anyone besides Ororo he could easily get rid of them. If it was her, they would all have a lot of explaining to do.

In front of him was a dishevelled but clear eyed Henry.
“May I join you?” he asked politely and they all breathed a ragged sigh of relief.
“What are you doing here?” Shaewn asked. “I mean, how did you find us?”
“Well that is easy, young man. I rerouted the-ahem, I found you by using the security detail and make certain deductions,” he explained simply when Remy gave him a dirty look. Remy hated overly technological talk when it was just so Henry could hear himself talk.
Jubilee squawked, “See? Surveillance!” before clapping a hand over her own mouth.
Kitty explained it further to Shaewn who still looked confused.
“A part of the security can tell you, if you know what you’re doing, which doors have been opened in the entire mansion, which are divided into quadrants, and when they were opened and closed. Typically its not that specific but if you have the know-how it is pretty easy to get the info beyond those basic quadrants. But Henry answer me this if you’re so brilliant, where’s Logan?”
“That too is easy but troubling,” Henry said sadly. “I saw him a few moments ago. That is why I am here.”
“Why, what happen’ to ‘im?” Rogue asked, leaning forward in her seat.
Remy, Kitty, Jubilee, and Shaewn looked on worriedly.
“He is so broken by this,“ Henry spoke softly, shaking his head. “I never realized how well he was hiding it from us all but he truly is a master of the impenetrable. I saw his soul, ladies and gentlemen. And it was a sad little shattered thing indeed.”

In the medbay:

Ororo groaned slightly. She felt something press against the palm of her hand before it was gone. She sat up quickly, too quickly before falling back down. She was not in her bed. Her voice caught in her throat momentarily with the fear.

*WHERE AM I?*

But then, slowly, the room stopped turning and recognition came over her. She was in the school’s medical area. She let her mind settle, the familiar smells washing over before sitting up again. One smell was very familiar.

*Logan. He was here recently for a long period of time. Oh my goddess, is he hurt as well? Maybe he‘s in a nearby room?*

She went to the door and opened it, looking into the empty hall, and knowing Henry would be made aware she was awake. She didn’t mind, she could use the company in this lonely part of the school. After quickly checking several of the nearby rooms, Ororo returned to her room. She touched the seat of the chair beside her bed, where it was pulled away from the wall and drawn up to the bedside; it was still a little warm.

Eventually she heard Henry’s steps and the whir of an approaching Charles. She smiled pleasantly as Henry told her nothing was wrong with her physically but he would like to continue testing, unsure of the cause of the fainting and shaking. She heeded his suggestion that although she was released from his immediate care she should take a relaxing break from a heavy schedule and allow another teacher to overtake her courses.

She felt in a mild state of delirium, barely hearing the words. Logan had been with her all night she realized, she had not been alone. Her heart swelled with emotions she was trying to control from the two other men as she left.
Immediately she went to her room which Remy had occupied in her absence but was gone now. She could tell it was him by the messy bed, the chips on her dresser, and her radio was turned on to his favourite station. She curled into the mess of the blankets he left behind as the music tinkled in the background. The clouds parted and the sun broke through as if it was a summer day and the winds were warmer and gentler than previous days of the whole month of November.

Back in the med bay:

“Charles, was it just me or did she take that remarkably well?” Henry asked, scratching his temple. Ororo? Listening to him? Very unusual.
“Well, one shouldn’t look a gift horse in the mouth,” Charles responded, equally perplexed.
“Yes well, here is the thing. I can’t run more tests on Ororo. I put her body, blood, and muscles through every test I could think of. I stayed up all night doing it. It remains that the problem may be in the mind, not the body.”
Charles looked up at his student, his fingers underneath his chin, “I do not understand what you’re reaching at, McKoy. Please explain.”
“I believe Ororo has just suffered a very serious panic attack. Remy said when she initially went down she was screaming that she couldn’t breathe and then that she couldn’t see. Also, when she woke up, Charles I hate to implicate the man but her first words were Logan’s name. Also I did not notice the emergency because I was configuring new exercises for them to pace through. I noticed when I went to shut down that at the time they were fighting a darker version of our team. Charles it was Logan as a darker Wolverine who was approaching her in a simulated forest,” Hank sighed.
Charles looked away, unable to say anything. Finally he told Henry: “Put Ororo through her paces. You must find the absolute source of this mysterious illness. We do not want to jump to any conclusions.”
“Of course not.”

Logan inhaled as he ground out his cigarette in his palm, a trick he hadn’t done since he was in the Vietnam War to stop himself being tracked by his cigarette ashes. The day was unusually nice considering the time of year. He still wanted to tear his heart out over what he’d just heard anyway.

*Fuck the weather, fuck these kids coming out to play. Yeargh, fuck this burn. It hurts.*

He had promised himself he’d just pass by under her window to check on her one last time since he’d kissed her palm goodbye. Instead, she was gone and it was only Henry and Charles talking amongst themselves. He appreciated how much of a friend Henry was, trying not to make the whole thing his fault.

*But the whole damn thing is my fault, pal. And I’m gonna start taking responsibility for my actions and the people around me, starting now.*

He promised himself he’d stay the hell away from her from now on, just to save the grief it gave her. He’d leave too but there was Shaewn to think of. He put the cigarette in his pocket safely and exhaled as the pain in his hand faded away and the pain in his heart remained.
FIGHT! by Storms_rose
Symbols:
...italics...= thoughts
"...." = speaking
... = In a phone conversation, a pause for the person on the other side of the line to speak.

In the West wing-

Shaewn stared at the ceiling. He’d finally got a break from the harsh amount of notes his philosophy class required as his teacher took a break from dictation to engage some students in discussion. Stretching his fingers he relieved a part of the cramp in his hand but the whole left arm throbbed. He was looking really forward to his after school nap. Because after that was another session with his uncle in the danger room when he came back from work, an hour with Scott on the blackbird manual controls, dinner, homework until midnight and then he’d be allowed to pass out again. Then he’d get up at seven am and do the whole damn thing again.
“Christ,” he muttered.
“Excellent point, Mr. Dakota,” his teacher, Mr. Browning, stated. He was the oddest thing: clearly someone who spent time in libraries with his pale skin but naturally over muscled and a buzz cut. It was rumoured he’d spent time in the army before dishonourable discharge for not following orders. Either that, or killing a guy. He wore brown corduroy or tweed everything and he didn’t shave his face very well. Also, he was one of the few people who understood everything Henry said.
“Let us consider religion in the ethics of murder. Can there be a justification? Now Mr. Surd, I believe will counter this argument.”
Jackie Surd, a green haired boy who was known for his witty brilliance, sarcasm, and getting into trouble often, turned to Shaewn. Shaewn sighed and wished he hadn’t said anything.
“Well, I guess you might argue that religion translates to a person’s attachment to their collective unconscious and thus their moral level,” Jackie started and Shaewn yawned. “However this is probably pointless since in order to keep your own moral conscious clear you’d have to not think about the gazillions of poor victims your own family member murdered in cold blood.”
“Mr Surd-” Mr. Browning started, standing up from his desk.
Shaewn snapped to attention. In fact he stood at attention.
“What? Oh god is probably exactly what they must have said before he slit their throats…” Jackie started as he stood as well.
Shaewn ran over and punched the boy in the nose before he liquefied to escape. Several students screamed and stampeded out of the room, expecting a Wolverine sized fight in the tiny room. The ones who were left packed their things quickly and backed out.
Shaewn stood there, his fist wet with salt water and blood raised to his shoulder, and watched them run. Mr Browning put a hand on his shoulder.
“Don’t worry son,” he said as he looked into Shaewn’s face, an expression of scrunched together hurt and anger and lack of understanding. “Get thyself to Summer’s office. I’ll clean up Mr Surd and send him down directly.”
Mr Browning grabbed an emergency plastic bag from the medic first aid kit and stopped Shaewn before he left with a pleasant smile, “Would you mind shaking your hand of those pieces of Mr Surd in this bag?”
Shaewn raised an eyebrow.

In Scott’s office-

“I see,” Scott said to the boy.
He was sulking in his seat, his knapsack at his side, a constant companion.
“You know, anyone ever tell you, you look exactly like Logan right now?”
“Yeah sure, that’s why everyone is terrified that I’m going to go into a murdering rage just cause some asshole starts running his mouth,” Shaewn shot back. “It’s so stupid. I wouldn’t even really know how to throw a punch if I hadn’t learned it here. And every guy wants me to “Fight him fight him” to see how strong they are. This is all so much bullshit. And now this! It’ll probably get blown up into this death defying situation on the rumour mill which it completely wasn’t.”
“Well that’s the problem with a reputation,” Scott said, absently organizing items on the neat desk. “They work for you and against you. You can’t choose what side of things people will see.”
Shaewn rolled his eyes and leaned forward, “When has it been positive?”
“Well you got a ready made family in this school based on Logan’s reputation alone. And a lot of the girls here probably consider you very mysteriously appealing because when Logan first arrived, he went after a lot of girls. You don’t do that so they think you’re playing hard to get. That’s sure lucky for you and for the guys of this school.”
Shaewn didn’t think he could roll his eyes any harder. “Oh really? Why?”
“Because frankly Logan got every girl he went after. Well nearly. He didn’t get my Jean but I held on to her by a thread and luck,” Scott laughed.
Shaewn looked at him, mildly interested in his uncle’s past love life before Ms. Munroe.
Scott continued when he saw he had the youngster’s attention. “Notice how all the teachers know who you are and want to help you? In fact isn’t everyone really helpful and includes you in everything? Reputation proceeds you. Notice how you got sent to me instead of a disciplinary officer?“
“Yeah, well I thought-“
“I’m a little higher in administration than that, Dakota. You don’t realize it, and Logan will probably talk about all of his possible enemies, but he has more people out there definitely willing to die for him then maybe even he realizes. I am one of them. And that’s not just talk, we’ve been in positions where my life for his has been called for and I never hesitated. Again luck and training have turned the tides so that I’m still here. I love that guy though I’ll kill you if you tell him that.
Shaewn, Logan could die tomorrow and you could go to any continent in this world and some countries on a few other planets and you’d be raised by someone like their own. That is to say if you refused to stay with us but Charles would be very insistent, not to mention Jubilee, Ororo, Pietro, Kitty, Henry…Now those are only a part of the positives. A small sliver of the reputation that you carry on your shoulders.”
Shaewn looked up at him thoughtfully as Scott paused.
“But the ugly truth is that apart of your reputation is made up of some hard truths and even uglier gossip. There are vicious people out there and you can’t let them get to you as they did today. The things the X men have been through-those stories are too complicated for common gossip and you carry that part of our reputation with you as well. You wouldn’t believe the stuff people say about Jean and I alone, much less the rest of the X men.
Don’t let your reputation define who you are.”
Shaewn was silent for a minute before he spoke, “You know, Logan makes you out to be a lot worse than you are.”
Scott laughed, “If we were the same age I’d probably be giving you the exact same speech anyway. Tell me how great I am then. No, I‘m probably just as bad as Logan thinks, he‘s known me longer.”

Shaewn waved to Scott as he was sent off to wait for his uncle in his room under seclusion. Kitty and Bobby fell into step with him nearly immediately. He wondered if they had been sent to make sure he went directly to his room as he intended to do irregardless. Their next statements destroyed that theory.
“Dude we have got to hide you until Logan calms down,” Bobby explained.
Kitty nodded in agreement. “He’s going to flip when he finds out you were in a fight.”
“But it was the most non fight fight of all existence,” Shaewn protested.
Bobby shrugged, “Yeah, but Logan… he might need to be calmed down. Don’t worry, we have Jubilee posted to intercept him and spin the whole thing positively. He’ll know something’s up when he sees her in the garage.”
Shaewn asked why.
“Because we always post her as a shield and calming agent whenever we do something bad to Logan,” Kitty grinned. “Like the time Bobby smashed his motorcycle headlight. By the time Jubz was done with him he only hit Bobby on the back of the head twice.”
“It hurt,” Bobby interrupted. “But it could have been worse. Way worse. Besides he really needed to be soothed when he found out you fracked up his BMW engine.”
This entire time the pair had been propelling a dubious Shaewn away from his room. Shaewn rolled his eyes.
“Guys,” he started but they were completely ignoring him.
“You were the one who wanted to be all impressive and act like you knew what you were doing,” Kitty shot back. “Besides, my hand slipped and I didn’t want to get oily!”
“Right cause you said you had a date with a mystery person, built it up so big, but really it was just you and bloody Pete going to the movies,” Bobby said as he revolved icicles balls between his fingers. “Lame.”
“Well I’ll just go to my room like I’m supposed to,” Shaewn whispered and backed up the stairs slowly.
“YOU DWEEB! You followed me?” Kitty screamed.
“I was bored.”

Shaewn walked up to the top floor before he realized he was on the opposite end of the school from his dorm. He sighed, dreading going past the arguing two. Even worse he slowly started to realize why this area seemed so familiar and his stomach clenched as it became clear that he was in the last place he ought to be.
Shaewn gulped.
“Please come in, I know you’re there, Shaewn.”

Back in Scott’s office-

“HE’S MY FUCKING RESPONSIBILTY, SCOTT,” Logan shouted.
Scott calmly responded, “What the hell is wrong with you, Logan? He’s our family.”
“No, he’s not. He’s my responsibility,” Logan repeated, glaring at Scott from the door. The boy had needed him and of course, he wasn‘t there. “He’s got nothing to do with you. You shouldn‘t have interfered.”
“Logan get off your high horse, he doesn’t belong to you like one of your bikes,” Scott rubbed at the ridge growing in his forehead. “Besides I simply talked to him and sent him to his room. He’s sitting there now waiting for you. I was trying to help. Considering that it isn’t easy being your nephew here…”
Logan marched to the desk, his knuckles grazing the wood, and whispered, “What the hell do you mean by that?”
Scott threw up his hands, “Nothing, forget it. You know I’d ask if you were rendered deranged lately but I already have my answer! It’s impossible talking to you like this. I hope you calm down before you go to him. He might actually take what you say personally.”

Logan turned around and left, slamming the door behind him so hard it splintered. He stomped nearly the entire way to Shaewn’s room.

Meanwhile…in the basement kitchen

Jean paused carefully before speaking, “Let me understand this, you two dragged me down here so you could ask me, again, to help get a pair of adults who don’t want to be together to get together as a couple? I thought we put this to rest yesterday! Honestly I could expect this from Jubilee but Remy? I cannot believe you are risking getting yourself involved with this stupid hairbrained scheme.”
Remy cocked his head. “Really why?”
“You have a lot to lose. Logan may forgive Jubilee her optimism but Ororo is very aware of how not innocent you are to the rules of love,” Jean smiled as she spoke and Remy frowned. “She’ll never speak to you again. Not to mention Wolverine.”

Remy drummed his fingers against the counter he was leaning against. There was something about Jean lately, the things he’d heard and what he sensed from his gut, that made him not trust her. He was unsure of what it was exactly.
But Jubilee insisted Jean was Ororo’s best girl friend and thus necessary for their plan. He hadn’t the heart to tell her the truth. Ororo and Jean would die for each other but actually having a conversation might cause them to kill each other even faster. The fact was they were two women at two very different points in their lives, had been for years. They were like siblings who if they weren’t related by blood probably would never talk, wouldn’t even have people that they knew in common.
He certainly wouldn’t talk to her. She wasn’t just his type, he wasn’t sure whose type she might be.
“Well, you help us anyway?” he asked her tonelessly.

Jubilee looked on at her hopefully. Jean brushed a hand through her hair and thought of what had happened when she got too close to Logan just a few months ago. She still needed the images to get her to orgasm when she had sex. Not to mention Ororo’s office the day before…

“Jean we need you,” Jubilee burst out finally. “The hearts of two people, two friends, two family members hang in the balance!”
Jean looked at Jubilee sternly, “Jubilee it isn’t the end of the world we‘re talking about. It was a fling that ran its course.”
“Well Jean this isn’t Scott we’re talking about. This is Wolvie. He doesn’t have many happy worlds, he’s always so grouchy. Wasn’t nice when he was happy? I don’t like how they were at first, all mushy…it was depressing to think how long it might be before we get our own happiness like that, but after when he was just really, really happy. Wasn’t that good?”
Remy folded his arms over his chest. The whole matter unsettled him but it was better to have Jean with them than against them. “What if dis was Scott, Jean? Wouldn’t you want us to help him see why it was so great to marry you?”
Jean fidgeted with her blouse for a few more minutes before reluctantly agreeing to help them.
“But if this backfires, this was not my idea. Now what were you guys thinking of doing?” she grinned. Remy narrowed his eyes. He felt like he was being had.
Jubilee clapped her hands and grinned back. “Well I was thinking that we obviously need to…”

And back to Shaewn-

Ororo poured his cup of tea slowly and Shaewn watched her nervously.
Looking up she smiled at him and shook her head as she sat down.
“You are very much like Logan.”
“Yeah, I’ve been hearing that a lot today,” Shaewn said as he sipped at his tea. It was scalding.
Ororo laughed gently, “Well not enough like him. Logan would have gulped that down without a second thought.”
Shaewn’s eyes grew large. “Wouldn’t that hurt?”
“He’d be too proud to show it. It will only heal he might say.”
“Oh.”
Ororo looked to the open terrace windows and called in a gentle cool wind.
“There, try your tea now,” she told him.
Shaewn sipped it. “Uh, its cold?”
Ororo twisted her nose in annoyance. “Maybe that wind was a little too cool. The seasons are…changing. Summer’s heat is over and even Autumn is gone. Funny, I’ve never been the type to get sentimental about the seasons. I’ll boil you another cup.”
Some of her words, her voice, passed over him but Shaewn laughed anyway, “I didn’t think you made mistakes.”
“I make mistakes all the time Shaewn,” she smiled. “But I am very poised and lady like so no one ever calls me on it. Well, except Remy.”
“Hey, I gotta warn you, don’t play cards with that guy. He’s too good.”
Ororo looked back at Shaewn. “I’m afraid you’ve been fleeced.”
“What?”
“He cheated. Remy is terrible at cards otherwise,” Ororo laughed. “The only rules he remembers are the sly ones.”
“Fuck! I mean, well actually I do mean…sorry?”
“It’s alright. So what brings you to my loft?”
“Actually I kind of got lost, sort of. See I got sent to my room for getting into the biggest non fight of the century. But the thing is, I meant to go to my room, I did, but Kitty and Bobby had some sort of plan to get me out of trouble. But I really kind of just wanted to go to my room so I left them downstairs arguing. But there isn’t any other way off this floor besides the stairs which they are arguing at the bottom of. So I ended up here.”
“Why did you get angry enough to get into a non fight?”
“Some kid called… whatever, forget him. He basically went off how my uncle is a murderer and he found out how much I didn’t like liars. It was one punch and I think I just clipped him. It’s just stupid rumours. But the worst part was how everybody made a run for it like I was going to go nuts. Everybody believes that stuff. There was nothing like this shit in my old high school‘s gossip.”
Ororo licked her lips. After taking several calming breathes she spoke.
“Well. That is something to get angry about.”
“Yeah but I shouldn’t have let him get to me so easily right?”
She smiled at this statement. She was nearly positive of whose ideas these were but she refrained from making any accusations. “How very mature! I’m not sure I have the same restraint.”
“Actually that’s what Scott told me to do so next time I’ll follow that.”
“Well there is nothing wrong with vocalizing your displeasure. And I’m not sure how someone could imply such things without intentionally being rude. And really, it was just one punch.
I have to tell you Shaewn, it honestly doesn’t matter to any of us what the others have done. We’ve made mistakes, we’ve been forgiven for them, and we’ve forgiven ourselves. What more could others want?”
Shaewn nodded his agreement.
“I suspect this boy was a bully. And sometimes you fight a bully with kindness or with violence but can you tell me which one is more effective?” Ororo handed him his cup again.
“I suspect kindness but you’re going to have to tell me why,” Shaewn sipped his new cup of tea slowly.
“Because it is was they expect least from you. And after awhile it may come to effect them in some way. It does not have to, Shaewn but if there are any redeemable qualities left to that person, eventually it will.”
Shaewn nodded his understanding.
“I should be getting to my room, Ms Munroe.”
She walked him to her terrace doors.
“Ugh, you’re not going to push me off and see if I heal are you? Cause I won’t,” Shaewn paused to look down the five floors. “I’ll just die and stay that way.”
Ororo laughed, “No, no Shaewn. You don’t know those two very well. They can argue for hours or minutes and no one can ever quite tell when it will be which. This is how I often come and go.”
Shaewn stared at her blankly. Suddenly he realized what she meant to do. He grinned.
“This is so Sonic and the hedgehogs!” he screamed as Ororo let him float gently to the ground. He waved once before running to his room, beating Logan there by minutes.

That night:

Scott poured his juice and refilled Jean’s glass. She murmured something he couldn’t quite catch. He missed her voice.
“What did you say honey?”
Jean looked up at him as she pulled herself out of her thoughts.
“I said thank you,” she murmured.
“Oh,” Scott said. He knew that was what she’d said but, he couldn’t help himself lately. “Chicken is good.”
“Thank you.”
He ate some mouthfuls of very slightly burnt chicken obediently, though he couldn’t have said for whom.
“Anything special happen today?”
Jean stopped poking at her salad long enough to look at him peculiarly. Did he know of the ridiculous plan to get Ororo and Logan back together? Did he know she was involved, even possibly? Would he approve? She shut the gateway between them a little more before she replied, “No not really. You?”
“Hear about the nephew?” Scott asked her and laughed. How couldn’t she have?
Jean nodded and stuffed her mouth full of spinach so she didn’t have to think of anything to say to this. It was all over the school. The antagonist was in isolation for his safety until Charles determined what Wolverine was going to do to him.
“I didn’t tell anyone this but it’s the strangest thing. He looks, Jean he looks just like him but its like half the things that enter Logan’s mind…they don’t even cross his mind. Today I told him about reputation and I felt bad. I was lecturing him for something he didn’t even do and he just tried to make the best of it and see the good of what I was telling him. I got through to him, Jean.
Of course, Logan had to come and ruin that all. He went off as usual,” Scott drank his juice. Jean smothered a laugh. He was like a little kid with that hair, smile, and his cup of juice. She knew he was uncomfortable in front of anyone but her in his white undershirt, his proper shirt slung over the back of his chair. Occasionally his internal temperatures went off the scale and he became unbearably hot.
“What do you mean off?”
“He’s acting like Shaewn isn’t our family too. Shit, we put up with Logan for the rare occasions he does something good. Shaewn is the best thing he’s ever produced. He ought to know that and let us help him not screw it up.”
“Scott!” Jean admonished. She pushed her plate away from her, her appetite lost. “You’ve gotten really snarky lately. I don’t know what’s wrong with you.”
“Really?” Scott asked, looking out the window of their tiny studio apartment built into the mansion. This window overlooked the tree where he’d first spotted her, realizing that thump in his chest meant something. “I was going to ask the same about you. It’s crazy but family, even the Howlett/ Dakota’s, are never what you expect them to be.”
Jean watched her husband carefully. What was he thinking? Absently she used her powers to shred a paper napkin into miniscule bits.
“Scott you’re getting philosophical in your old age,” she sighed. Scott was already sweeping the tiny bits of paper into his hands and into his plate. Did he know how she felt about him? She wished they could go back to their honeymoon, turn the clock back until the day where they we’re about to leave. No seasickness, no chasing wayward mutants; just the hope they’d cherished for the future.
Scott felt these last thoughts through their connection and smiled. He wondered if she knew how he felt, despite the rumours and the substantiated half truths. He could work hard at his marriage but he couldn’t do it alone. Putting these thoughts and his momentary melancholy aside, he continued, “It’s just dangerous to keep expecting your expectations to be reality. I don’t much know what I mean Jean. I guess I’m just an old fart in love with you, huh? I feel sorry for whoever has to have me for a husband with my old fart self.” He was going back to an old joke of theirs from their high school days, out of habit more than anything. Jean smiled at him and kissed his nose as she undid the buttons of her blouse.
“How dirty does the old fart want to get with this young lil’ thang?” she asked him, her blouse removed and she slowly worked her skirt up to reveal the black lacy thong.
Scott grinned and started to unhook the clasp of his belt, his khaki slacks getting kicked off along with the white tube socks.

That night, Jean slipped away to the bathroom. She used the toilet and looked at herself as she washed her hands. Seeing something there, she reached out to touch it, the water still running. When her finger touched her mirrored cheek, it left a water trail on the reflecting glass. On her cheek she felt a tear course its way, similar to the water stain, down her porcelain face.

*WHY AM I SO WEAK?* she wanted to scream to herself. Out loud she apologized to Ororo. She’d agreed to help but she wasn’t really sure she could after all. She still needed Wolverine.
It Ain’t A Party Until Someone Loses an Eye Prt 1 by Storms_rose
Symbols:
*…*= thoughts, usually of the last speaker
"...." = speaking
... = In a phone conversation, a pause for the person on the other side of the line to speak.

Jubilee swung her shopping bags happily. Kitty and her had made great time delving through the mall sale and Jean had even convinced Scott to chauffeur them. This was better than Logan because 1) Logan was an incorrigibly a grouch of late. Yesterday, her calming mission had been a disaster on that front and 2) he NEVER carried the shopping bags until a girl was swamped and even then, he’d tell her to just put something back. Jubilee giggled and kicked open her door with her foot before dropping her bags.

“Bobby Backwater snake Drake, what the hell do you think you’re doing?” Jubilee yelled in surprise. Bobby was sitting cross-legged on her bed with his shoes on and reading her red folder covered in band stickers.
“Recipe For Romance? The Master Plan? Seriously?” he asked her as if nothing was wrong.
“Ergh!!! You’re the reason the world isn’t safe anymore!” she yelled at him, as she used her foot to carry her multitude of bags inside the doorway and closing it behind her. Scott might be near, helping Kitty and she didn’t want him to come in asking questions. “A girl can’t even leave her door unlocked for a couple of seconds.”
“Oh Jubilee, my jubilation, forget that,” Bobby said in imitation of a southern drawl. “Forget that. What is this?”
“Its my favourite author’s recipe for successful attraction.”

Bobby reviewed the sheets in the folder. “I googled this. You got it from a TV show. The author is a character.”
Jubilee took a deep breathe. “Look Bobby, I didn’t ask for you to B&E into my room but giving me advice on personal documents is a bit much don’t you think?”
Bobby shrugged, “You’d be surprised at the things I do when I’m bored. Devil hands.”
Jubilee rolled her eyes, “You’re not going away are you?”
“Like a bad nightmare, no. The Master Plan, step 1: attraction. Step 2, proximity. Step 3, oh god are you kidding?“ Bobby began reading out loud. “Let them have a taste of each other? Step 4, provide a goal. Step 5, let them get closer if they fall in love. This is beyond idiotic but I’m willing to provide my assistance. Now I notice in one of your notes you want to construct a party of some type here for step 1. I thought they were waaay past that stage.”

Jubilee decided the best thing to do was ignore him. Ignore him and he’ll go away, she told herself. Pulling her new clothes out of their bags ritually, she stopped listening to the boy. Bobby only looked up when she didn’t answer him.

He was slightly taller than her, with gelled shaggy blond hair, deep set blue eyes, and prided himself on being one of the guys in school who was ahead of the trends. And he knew Jubilee, a month younger than him, was smarter than she put on. She enjoyed surprising people who thought she was dumb.
The simple plan was so simple that he was beginning to see the actual brilliance in it. She’d gotten some key team members who could easily remember the plan which was able to change at a minute’s notice. Also if everyone did their part even in small ways, it would be easier to manoeuvre the stubborn pair than manipulate them. It was just the titles of each step that got to him, they were ridiculous.

Moving himself until he was staring uncomfortably closely into her brown eyes, he grinned and asked her again, “Aren’t they past stage one, Herr Lee?”
“Ugh, Drake, tic tac please,” she said as she pretended to pass out. He grimaced and breathed heavily into his palm. “Look, this is super super serious. We’re playing with fire, with the very lives of those who trust us most. We cannot screw it up because some person had the uncontrollable urge to engage in some sort of shenanigan.”
“Hey! You think I’m oblivious to everyone around here? Well, you’re wrong!” Bobby snapped. “ There is no way you can plan a party in this household without me. Not with this family, they’re more ADD than a group of monkeys on ecstasy. You need someone to corral that energy, and that’s me. If each step counts on the one proceeding, you’re little master plan is going to fail without me, Jubilee Lee.”
“Bobby?” she spoke sarcastically slowly, saying his name.
He stood and flung the folder on the bed, the papers scattering over the clothes. Jubilee looked up at him in mild reproach.
“Bobby!” Jubilee screamed in shock.
“It’s gonna suck watching Ororo go off with that Brent jerk, won’t it?” he said as he walked out of the room, the door vibrating with the slam.
“Bite me,” she screamed.
She heard his faint, “Go die!”
Jubilee rolled her eyes. Bobby exaggerated everything, including his one month advance in age. How hard could it be to plan a party? One stupid party. Yeah right.

In the Kitchen:
“Pietro, do you know where we order those awesome cakes from?” Jubilee asked casually. She was carrying a red notebook, a red pen, and was dressed all in white and red. Her hair had fresh new red and pink highlights in it.
“Like the ones for birthdays?” he was perusing one cookbook of a pile in front of him. It was his turn to cook dinner. Generally the X men ate separately from the catered meals of the students at least a couple of times a week. He was deciding between shrimp casserole and shrimp jumbaya. Or shrimp pizzas. There were a lot of bags of shrimp in the freezer. “The ones which the icing designs and towers and are always moist?”
“Yes!! Those,” Jubilee squealed.
“I don’t know, Bobby orders them. Ask him,” Pietro shrugged before returning to his cookbook. Shrimp cocktail? He wondered to himself.
“Oh. I’ll figure it out,” Jubilee said, trying not to let the disappointment reach her voice.

In the danger room:
Jean and Psylocke battled it out, each viciously trying to outdo the other. Jubilee watched them, unperturbed from the viewing booth, far away from the very real blows. When they both paused to catch their breathes, Jubilee pressed the intercom.
“Hey ladies,” she started cheerfully. They both looked up at her with annoyed looks, sweat dripping down their faces and hair, and neither them relaxing their guard. “Just wondering who I’m supposed to ask about renting out one of the conference rooms.”
“Why?” Psylocke asked without looking away from Jean.
“Its for a party.”
“What’s the party for?” Jean panted, her eyes and most of her mind still focused on Psylocke.
“Jean,” Jubilee screeched. “Its just a get together, just because. You know, just because.”
“Ask Bobby,” Jean said before resuming her grappling with Psylocke; the women launching into the act savagely.

Psylocke gained a momentary upper hand and threw Jean to the ground, back first, and leapt on top of her to pin her down. Jubilee watched the two women for a few more seconds before leaving, feeling very much as if she was watching something she shouldn’t be.

At noon, Jubilee took a break for lunch in the garden house. It was quiet but smelly in there, Jubilee thought but she knew she didn’t want to even possible run into Bobby. His name was at everyone’s tongue and she wanted to eat a ham sandwich that wouldn’t tell her to go ask Bobby.
“Hey there,” said the object of her hatred as he sauntered towards her. He’d changed into overalls that were grimy with dirt and sweating from the heat. He had no shirt on and Jubilee told herself irritably not to notice. “How’s the master plan going?”
“Fine,” she lied.
“Oh,” he said, but it didn’t sound like he believed her in the least. “Well then how come everyone keeps telling me to look out for you? Why, are you out to get me?”
“What are you talking about?” she snapped.
“Well, they’re all telling me that they sent you to me to plan some party except the funny thing is, you don’t need my help. Oh no, not from lowly ol’ me,” Bobby continued as if he was talking about how to plant a seed in soil to a first grader at story time. “I’m probably going to mess it up. Even though I plan every, no correction every successful, party that X has ever seen. But naw, I’m probably going to plan some prank like I’ve got uncontrollable prank control disease or something. Yeah, I guess I can see why you wouldn’t want me to plan the most critical stage of your little plan. Except if you can’t even initiate attraction between them then the whole thing is down the drain…”
“You are a complete asshole.”
“Some people like my personality,” he answered simply.
“So will you do it?” she relented.
Bobby shrugged as he walked away.
“I’ll think about it,” he said over his shoulder.
Jubilee’s mouth dropped. She couldn’t believe he’d decided he had better things to do. She had known-known- not to trust that big headed, annoying, condescending- she took a deep breathe, letting it out raggedly.
A minute later his head popped around the corner and he grinned, “Oh grasshopper, you have so much to learn. I’ve already taken leave to organize everything. Now you wanted it for tomorrow night, right?” he asked nonchalantly. Jubilee screamed and threw her box of apple juice at him.
“Some person who has the uncontrollable urge to throw things is going to have to clean that up, you know?” he said as he dodged the flying juice.

In Shaewn’s room:

He really regretted not filling his room up with things now. He was grounded for three weeks and, although he figured this was fair, he was going insane with nothing to do. There were sanctioned areas of the school where he was allowed and if Logan smelled him out of that, he was dead meat.
He wasn’t sure what his Uncle was going to do to Jackie, he had intended to tell him he’d talk to him himself, but Shaewn figured Jackie was a lot more scared of his Uncle than he was of him. If the ass pissed himself scared, the better for him. Maybe it would improve his already tactful manners.

Shaewn had never been grounded before, in fact when he’d returned to his room he was unsure of what to expect. He’d been slapped around enough to learn what not to do, loved often but not enough, never anything or anyone consistent.

*Logan is as consistent as they come. He’s not going anywhere. I can seriously always count on him not being dead. Which is strangely comforting.*

Shaewn was slightly annoyed at how mild his punishment was compared to what he‘d imagined with the idiot pair‘s warning. Instead he got a two hour discussion about the whole situation, about his feelings; he felt like he was back in the counsellor’s chair. Except occasionally Logan reminded him not to lie to him, not angrily but casually, and he cracked bad jokes. He’d liked Ms Munroe’s talk better but Logan was trying as if he got everything out of a book.

“Which I guess he must have,” he muttered. He picked up his knapsack and swung it over his back, leaving his room. He was allowed in the library and he figured he might as well make good use of it. He’d need the computers to start his search for Matt. Not that he had any clue on how to.

*Oh well, no time like now to learn how!*

He wondered how long he should fumble around the highly advanced technology and database resources before he just got McCoy to help him.
It Ain’t A Party Until Someone Loses an Eye Prt 2 by Storms_rose
Symbols:
*…*= thoughts, usually of the last speaker
"...." = speaking
... = In a phone conversation, a pause for the person on the other side of the line to speak.

The next evening:

Ororo wandered into the party, mostly out of curiosity and pressure from Bobby. As she mingled with the family, reassuring everyone that she was fine on rest leave and grabbed a punch, she looked for somewhere to perch herself.
Remy was sitting on the couch, which was crowded with everyone trying to sit on the single most comfortable seating, his face absently turned out the window. Below, the wind roughly whistled through branches and jackets as students made their way briskly to their destinations. Ororo watched him for several minutes before he became aware of her close presence. As he did, he stood and drew her close into an embrace. He lost his seat in seconds.
“Is a good party non?” he asked her. “’Cept de no alcohol rule.”
“Mmhmm,” she murmured. “Remy I noticed you look a million miles away. What’s on your mind?”
“Hmm, you kno’ me, always got a scheme goin’ on,” he told her, they walked away from the center of the party. She laughed gently and decided to not push it, instead she squeezed his hand, trapped in her entwined arm, and changed the subject.
“Any idea why Jubilee and Bobby needed to have a party tonight? I shouldn’t even be here, I’m supposed to be resting,” Ororo paused, watching her dearest friend. “Remy I fucked a pig last week and smeared the shit in your drink.”
“Hm,” Remy answered, again miles away.
“Remy,” Ororo said, her voice mildly stern. “That’s it-”
At that second, Jubilee gave a shout as a few gatecrashers attempted to, well, gatecrash.

Pietro poked at the shrimp casserole leftover, dubious at his choice of food providing for the potluck. He couldn’t remember if he had put the pot in the fridge the night before and the fish had an off smell. Putting his hand through his hair, he sucked in his breathe as he looked up to where Kitty had just entered with a friend. She was blinking, the light change drastic, and he watched her unobserved for a few seconds before slipping away.
A simple black dress hugged her curves and her curly hair spilled over her shoulders in a sexy way he couldn’t place. Seconds after these fleeting glances he knew she would be looking for him. Gulping, he went to see if he could help in the kitchen.

Skulking through the hallways Pietro discovered Henry, his head bent over a sheet of paper in one of the foyer benches.
“Henry!” he called, pleased with the opportunity for distraction.
Henry did not look up.
“Henry?” Pietro called again, wondering if maybe something was wrong.
“Have you ever made such a complete and total fool of yourself?” Henry asked, his voice a whisper.
Pietro sat down beside him, his hands slowly rubbing his knees. “Ah, yes. Just now actually. Why?”
Pietro knew instinctively that it was not him being talked about.
“I, I-I had an affair with a married man.” There was delayed shock and awe in Henry’s voice as he spoke.
Pietro had known that Henry had come out to the group a long time ago but he’d never met anyone he’d been involved with. On principle, Pietro disapproved of cheating but perhaps even McCoy could be fooled. Perhaps he hadn’t known his partner was married?
“Is this why you’ve been home? We’ve wondered. We, I thought you were happy with the Avengers. The last time we spoke-”
“The last time we spoke my friend,” Henry interrupted him. “I was in the throes of a passionate affair. He’s so so married. It’s sick really but I don’t think I would have gone through the trouble of seducing him if he hadn’t been.”
Pietro stared at the wall in front of him in shock. He didn’t quite know what to say to that.
“I thought it must have been a mistake,” he started.
Henry passed him the letter after a few minutes of silence. Pietro was unsure of whether Henry needed comfort and whether Pietro should even be the one giving it. He had his own girlfriend back in Russia waiting for him and a dear friend, who obviously wanted more, right beside him. Perhaps some strong advice was in order but Pietro knew he shouldn’t be the one giving that either. Instead he needed it. He read the letter, it wasn’t long.

McCoy-

Fuck off, this crazy homo thing with my husband is over. Now. He regrets every second. I seriously suggest you wait until after New Years- when my resolution will be strong not to kill you- to come and get your stuff. No one has to know. Tell them you got homesick, tell them you missed the city, tell them anything but the truth if you ever respected me. I know that’s a stretch for people like you.

“She didn’t even sign it. That’s just bad letter writing,” Henry said, laughing.
Pietro had to ask. “Who was this?”
“Hahaha, Henry Pym.”
“Ant-Man!” Pietro exclaimed. “Why are you laughing?”
“Its funny, Pietro, laugh,” Henry encouraged. Pietro’s face was sliding into revulsion. “Because I told him if he left her, I wouldn’t stay with him. Because a man who has a fling shouldn‘t be condemned by it. Because I actually did something Drake would call ‘badass‘. Berhaps if I don’t laugh I will cry. I thought I was going to earlier, who knows why. I don’t know, Pietro, but this kind of excitement just doesn‘t happen everyday.”
Pietro stood, staring at Henry, unable to find the right words to express his disgust. Only a few hallways away from him was the safe, oblivious kitchen. He could hear someone laughing with the caterers. Several students were roaming the halls, making jokes, yelling insults, trading homework. Behind lie a curiously complex family who were trying to be as normal as possible, by loving each other. In the center of this domestic maelstrom he was having this barely normal conversation with Henry who seemed oblivious to anything but his own chuckles.
“I thought you were hurt.”
“Pietro, men of my scientific nature need to observe and experience everything. Why should my only sexual psychological experiences include solitude and saving the world? I might go mad. Besides, I was referring to Mr Pym as the fool.”
“No Henry. You’re the fool. Why would you want this? You’re right. It is sick,” Pietro yelled at him before throwing the letter up in the air.

Pietro didn’t know what to think, about himself or Henry but there was no way he could go to the kitchens now. There was to much innocent flirtation going on there, too many simple joys. He didn’t want to ruin it.

Back at the party:

“REMY,” Ororo nearly shouted. She was thankful the music was loud, no one looked in her direction.
He turned to her and smiled.
“I’m here, chere, I’m listening. I tol’ yo’- a scheme goin’ on. I jus’ wish I could tell you,” he told her, his fingers resting on her cheek. She looked him over carefully, knowing she could believe the words but only because of the way he was saying them. The truth was far from being said. She wondered if already Rogue and him were having trouble. It had been a joy to see them peaceful and happy.

*Not that they couldn’t have a spat or two. They have the right to, they’re a normal couple.*

Ororo sighed, her palm tingling. Her lips felt cold and untouched. They missed Logan.

*Of course, objectify my body so I won’t have to think about-*

“Now who’s a million miles away,” Remy whispered into her ear, interrupting her thoughts. She laughed.
“You’re absolutely right. Would you care to dance?” she asked him. He accepted and they quickly made their way to the jampacked floor.

Jubilee had been unsuccessful at keeping the uninvited out and successful at getting most of the invited in. Logan was still missing but Jubilee knew he had a good excuse. He was in a meeting with Charles about Shaewn, his adoption, and his old family. Logan had promised her he’d come straight after he talked to Shaewn after the meeting. Of course, that could take forever, and Jubilee never liked leaving things to chance. She had Jean and Henry team up to reschedule an overseas phonecall from one of Charles’ chess buddies for an hour into their meeting and told Shaewn to make himself as hostile and scarce as possible, backed up with training from Kitty in evading manoeuvres. Jubilee smiled.
She knew Logan wouldn’t break his promise to her. He’d just take his time with everything he had to do until the party was hopefully over by the time he, innocently, arrived.
“Not a chance,” she whispered to herself.
“What’d I tell ya about plotting schemes at house parties?” Logan asked her as Jubilee screamed in surprise.
“You’re here!” she breathed.
“You doubted me?”
Jubilee looked away and smiled for a second. “Never! Now come get some punch. You’re going to love everything about this party.”
“Lotta kids,” he mentioned as he sipped at his drink before spitting it back into the bowl. “And the punch is spiked. And I’m not sure I wanna know what with.”
Jubilee rolled her eyes. Apparently a Drake party was a big affair. Speaking of him, he came out of nowhere with a fresh punch bowl and a cordless microphone in between his teeth. As he passed her he gave her a wink to which she rolled her eyes. An adoring assistant, some blonde Jubilee recognized from their calc class, took the old punch away.

*Is he blind to the disaster all around him?*

Bobby leapt up on to a table. Cheers went up and the music lowered minutely. Bobby held up his hands and the music died.

“People, I would like to thank you all to coming to my Just Cause party. Just because we’re family, just because we’re friends, heck just cause you could get in!” Bobby grinned as he waited for the catcall answers of agreement to die down. “Yeah I know I see some folks who are definitely not on the guest list…is that you Jamie? No? Still running from Ol’ Wolvie, huh? Don‘t worry Logan I got my eyes peeled for the scumbag.”
Several boys let out whoops. The fight was on everyone’s tongues and several couldn’t wait for Logan to catch up with the kid.
“Well, I’m sorry to say our party is winding down. We have restrictions on how much fun you can have at X High. We’ve met our quota for tonight but as usual, you party people overdid it! Hey, Ororo? Is that you? Where’s McCoy? We better not let him catch you ‘overexerting’ yourself! I saw those moves, damn lady, you can groove!”
Several more cheers came as Ororo’s students formed a protective circle around her on the dance floor as if they meant to physically stop Henry from getting in the way of her fun. Everyone laughed. Yesterday he’d told her the Danger Room was out of the question and the following argument had been legendary already. Ororo laughed along and clapped louder than anyone else.

Jubilee stomped her feet as she held her hands over her mouth to stop herself from screaming, “You’re brilliant!” at the make shift stage.

*Now they both knew each other was here and if either left, everyone would know how immature they were being!*

“Go Bobby!” she allowed herself to holler. He looked directly at her, through the crowd, and grinned.
Logan only sipped at his new punch glass, looking for the nearest exit to this pep rally.
“Now I’m going to try something different, you know how I like to do! All the invited male guests have their names in this hat,” Bobby pointedly dramatically at a large top hat that Longshot was carrying. “And all the invited female guests have their names in this lovely hat that Kitty has. A couple gets picked and they’re our last dance of the night! Everyone agree?”
A couple boos were heard. Bobby turned away from the crowd, hunched over the hats as if he was digging through the names.
“Hey, if you wanted to be in a hat,” Bobby said, looking over his shoulder. “Maybe you should have gotten invited legit!”
Everyone laughed and the hecklers blushed.
“Okay, last dance in ten so dance your little hearts out till then!”

Bobby jumped down from the table as he slipped two pieces of paper into his jeans pocket and fought his way through the crowd to Jubilee, who was clutching to Logan’s arm. As he watched her he realized it was taking all of her focus to keep Logan from slipping away so he turned away, going to the now unguarded doors. He had everything planned out perfectly. Well nearly. Practically there.
No matter, everything would go according to plan. Well, should.

Ororo turned around as her bodyguards dispersed. Remy was watching her with mirth in his eyes.
“Well dat be something’, non?” he commented.
“Bobby always has been a bit of a showman. If we lived in another time, I truly believe he’d be built for the circus life.” They laughed as they pictured Bobby exchanging his trendy t-shirts and jeans for a top hat and a bearded lady. “So this scheme that has your mind?”
“It’s nothing,” he lied.
“Remy,” she scolded. Before she could continue she felt a tap on her shoulder. The pair turned to face the intruder.
Jean smiled, her punch cup swerving dangerously in her hand. When she opened her mouth to speak, the harsh wash of whiskey poured over the couple. Ororo looked around for Scott and Remy felt his heart rate increase. He always knew Jean would be their downfall, he’d felt it in his gut for so long. He couldn’t stop himself from firmly believing their was something between Logan and Jean that had never really finished. Here would be his proof.
“So enjoying yourselves,” Jean asked, slightly slurring her last words. “I mean I’m really having fun.”
“Oui, Jean,” Remy said, putting himself between the two women. Praying. “We’re all having a lot of- fun. Where’s your husband?”
“Scott is, let go of me!” Jean shouted as Remy gracefully put his hand under her elbow. Ororo put her hand on Remy’s shoulder and he let her go reluctantly.

*A car crash waiting to happen.*

Remy thought as he dreaded it but could not stop himself from watching either.

“Now what was I talking about, Rooro?” Jean asked as she draped herself over Ororo’s shoulder.
“Scott,” Ororo controlled her face to not look disgusted.
“Yeah, him. He’s, he’s-” Jean blathered on innocently for the next ten minutes about absolutely nothing and everything. She noted what the young girls were wearing, wondered how she would look in each outfit, praised Ororo’s hairstyle, questioned the freshness of the shrimp (Which was a little crusty and smelled sour, don’t you think?), and told everyone within hearing distance of the particularly long and tedious story of her shoe shopping expedition that afternoon where she could not find any nice shoes to go with her latest dress purchase.
Ororo yawned and immediately regretted the action. She inhaled all of the dry, sour sweet smell wafting from Jean’s lips. Suddenly, as if heaven had opened before her, Bobby’ s booming voice interrupted Jean‘s latest story.

“Alright we have our last dance folks. Man does anyone else feel like they’re back at junior prom- the bad polyester, the gum trapped in braces, duck shooooeeeesss, oh wait. That’s Pretty in Pink. Never mind then.
Will, ahem, whoa I can’t believe I’m doing this, I swear…will Ororo and Logan please come up here?” Bobby cleared his throat a few more times. The room became deadly silent as everyone waited to see what would happen next.

Ororo grabbed Remy’s arm as he grabbed hers. She felt the thumping of her own heart over the blood rushing through her mind. To anyone watching her, except to Remy and Logan, she appeared mildly amused. Inside she was a torrent of emotions, deeper than she cared to deal with.
Exhaling, she knew she had once reacted to him badly but right now, she would decide how to behave after he made his move. It was all she could think to do right then.

Remy considered his options. He never really thought about the list of ways he could die. As an X-men, he might never get out of bed if he did. A lightning bolt or an adamantium claw were suddenly higher on the list than old age, a prospect he didn’t enjoy. Of course, he could always die from the tension. Or losing his hand from a lack of blood flow.

Jubilee tried to hide her grin but was losing the battle until she glanced at Logan’s face. He was stony faced, an expression devoid of emotions and thoughts. She worried that this had been the wrong tactic after all. Licking her lips she waited.

Bobby knew that he hadn’t technically lied which was the only reason Logan hadn’t jumped on the stage to rip off/ beat him to death with his own left arm. He had never said the couple had to be picked out of the hats. A technicality that would hopefully work for him. Jubilee looked at him and he gulped. All apart of the plan…but he really wished someone would say something.

“Oh for crying out loud, its just a dance,” Jean bawled out. A few nervous twitters could be heard behind hands. “Play on DJ, play on. Oh, go on Rooby. Come on Logaaaaan. Scared of cooties? I promise to give you both shots. Honestly.”

The music started immediately. The intro song to the Bullet for my Valentine album The Poison began to play. Ororo moved forward slowly but she didn’t get far before Logan marched across the room, couples parting before him to let him pass. He held her by the hips, as if unused to the motion. Smiling politely, she placed her hands on his shoulders as they began to gently sway. Ororo couldn’t help but remember what those shoulders were like when they shook with laughter, with pain, with ecstasy.
Everyone pretended to be very busy, the slow rise of voices gossiping, and not to stare. Remy watched the pair for a second, smiling at their awkwardness before turning to Jean.
She’d already stopped hunching and gave him a snaky smile.
“Eh, I had de situation under control, you know.”
“Well you thought you had her. I delivered results,” she gazed at them. They were pointedly not looking at each other. “Face it, you do need me.”

Bobby breathed an easy sigh, a rattle, and slinked off his perch. Escaping to the hall he put his hand on his forehead to check for a fever. He felt hot, too hot. He heard the door open and his heart stopped beating until he heard Jubilee speak.
“That was fantastic,” she said.
“Yeah well I thought I was going to spontaneously combust.”
She laughed. He grinned.
“You think I’m joking? Feel my forehead. Seriously, I’m,” he grabbed her hand and forced her to touch his sweating forehead with her own cool palm. “I’m burning up.”
“Yeah, I, I can feel it.”
A Ying and A Yang by Storms_rose
Symbols:
*…*= thoughts, usually of the last speaker
"...." = speaking
... = In a phone conversation, a pause for the person on the other side of the line to speak.

In the danger room:

Logan breathed deeply, trying to remember his unspoken promise to Ororo.

*…stay the hell away from her from now on, just to save the grief it gave her…*

According to McCoy and Chuck that plan was the worst thing he could do. McCoy felt Logan should teach Ororo tai chi, something she’d never done before, to help her calm her mind in a peaceful, safe environment. And of course Chuck agreed with the doctor.
It was all because of that stupid dance. He groaned trying to focus on his next transition. He could still feel where her hip had once grazed his pelvis, the tips of her hair tickling his fingers, the tightness in his chest. He could hear her heart thumping, from nerves or anger- he couldn’t tell. He was lost in thought about the moments, the two minutes and twenty seconds, he’d been able to touch her since that fateful night. Touch her and feel her response. At once he felt that putting her somewhere inside of himself, on himself, and around himself would be true heaven. He felt the marks she had left on his heart and his penis throbbing. Desire can be hate, he thought to himself as he closed his eyes. But mostly, he wanted her arms circled around him one more time.

He missed falling asleep beside her, he missed the sound of her as he made her happy.

When he felt the touch on his shoulder Logan reacted instinctively. Once the enemy was indisposed, it all happened so fast, he fully opened his eyes.

“Ow,” Ororo groaned.
His face became sorrowful as he helped her up, “Ororo-”
“I was calling you,” she said, waving away his apologies. “I should have known better than to interrupt. I should have thrown something at you. From a distance.”
“Why didn’t you?” he asked her, his hands floating over her waist and the back of her head to check for bruises. She was wearing a sports bra and long black shorts.
She laughed, “I was afraid you’d catch it and throw it right back at me.”
He chose not laugh with her and pulled his hands away. He knew she had resisted this training with McCoy and Xavier in private. He knew she was over him completely but he hadn’t realized she didn’t even want to learn something from him.

*I guess she wants nothing from me.*

“Well we’d better get started,” Ororo finished lamely. He instructed her into her first position but she kept putting her feet wrong. After several moves going this way she put her hands on her hips.
“Look Logan, you have to show me how to do this. This isn’t something I can just learn in a book or else I would be at the local Chapters. Really teach me how to perform these …or stop wasting my time,” she chastised him.
He growled, glaring at her severely, before shoving his foot underneath hers in a sweep. Immediately she lost her balance but recovered it enough to stand in a wider stance. He moved her arms for her and demanded she focus on her breathing patterns. For an hour they worked, words unvoiced, as they focused on several different positions.

On the last move Logan intended to show her, Ororo became pinned against his chest as he moved her arms. She noticed how his athletic tank top was clearly plastered to his every muscle and his tear away jogging pants were thin enough for her to feel his throbbing penis crushed against her thigh.
*Or is that me trembling?*

He held her wrists gently, his breathe on her cheek, and she stared at his lips.
He looked down intending to tell her to focus on breathing through her nose and exhaling through the mouth, a glimpse really, and stopped. His lips parted, for what purpose he couldn’t say.
Ororo moved up and Logan heard her breasts scrape against the material of her bra as they flattened against his chest, felt her saliva mixing with his own, his tongue caressing hers, and the bite of her teeth as they gently released his bottom lip.
Transfixed, Ororo wondered if she had imagined this kiss, the perfect kiss, as Logan licked his lips. He still held her wrists.
“What are you doing?” he said finally as he took one step away from her. Then another. “Henry sent you to me to help organize and calm your mind. Not muddle it up.”
“Yes, he did. And I told him my mind is fine,” she snapped, crossing her arms against her chest. “So why don’t we talk about the real problem?”
“Ororo, we don’t have a problem. You do,” he shot back at her. “There is no we anymore. Remember?”
“I know what I want-”
“Wanted. I’m what you wanted. Past tense. Don’t worry I get it, I do. Besides, I heard you’re beating them off with a stick these days so just leave me out of it,” Logan shouted and walked out.
Thunder rumbled as Ororo stopped herself from screaming in frustration. She had no idea what Logan was talking about. Now she didn’t care to find out.

Instead she went to find an outlet to vent on. She found Remy in her room, reading a magazine in her bed. Shaking her head at the sight, she slammed the door. He jumped and looked at her mildly before taking his feet off her bed.
“Some’tine de matter, chere?” he asked. Ororo growled as she began to strip off her sweaty clothes on the way to the bathroom. As she ran the bath water, she heard Remy perch himself in her doorway.
“Tell me all about it. Upsettin’ t’ings always make you want to get naked,” he observed wrily.
She didn’t turn to face him as she began.
“Insufferable, completely insufferable. What is his problem? Does he think I am blind? I know he was with me the night I was in the medical bay. I know! To add to it, he believes he can hide himself from me but I have seen deeper into his soul than any telepath, Remy. He loves me but when I dare to broach the subject he runs. In-suf-ferable.”
She eased herself into the bath, squinting her eyes as the water is bit too hot, even for her.
Remy tried to change the topic from the argument. He knew when Marie and he argued it bode for nothing good except hot sex and unsolved issues. “You talked after de class? Did the class go good?”
She took a deep breathe, shrugging. “It went well enough until I kissed him. If he did it, it would be alright but for me to take the initiative…perhaps I hurt the big bad Wolverine’s ego.”
“Dat’s because you want him to kiss you.”
“So?” she snapped. “We both know he wanted to be kissed.”
“Maybe he can’t talk about your relationship when all he can think about is sex.”
Ororo sat up.
“Frighteningly I don’t think you’re entirely discussing me,” she held up her hand when Remy went to protest. “But at the same time, you are correct. I can’t, we shouldn’t discuss both at the same time. It is a bad idea which is maybe why he left so abruptly.”
Remy shrugged. “Maybe.”
“How should I fix this? I should talk to him again?” Ororo turned to him, true confusion written across her features.
“Non. Why can’t des femmes take a page out of the boys book? Actions speak louder than words. It’s time for apologize flowers,” they shared a look. “Or somet’in he really would enjoy.”
“What,” Ororo smirked. “A six pack of beer?”
Remy laughed and left her to her soaking bath.

In Shaewn’s room:

A knock came at the door and Shaewn sighed.

Several sympathetic friends had been bringing by dvds, board games (“Bobby who am I gong to play these with?” “DETAILS…”), crosswords, comics, and cds to occupy his attention all day. They laughed as they had conversations with him, updating him on school social life while he was secluded for this weekend, from across the hall way.
It was a week before the first weekend of December- which was apparently an event at Xavier school. Everyone was making plans and preparations for the mayhem to follow. He only felt a twinge of jealousy but he kept it to himself.
Technically from across the hall they weren’t in his room as banned, only pausing for a brief period, but he quickly had them disperse, just in case it upset his uncle.

He opened the door, wondering who it could be now.
“Hello young man, you look cheerful even under confinement,” McCoy greeted him.
Shaewn grinned even wider, “Yeah well, if the world hands you lemons and all that, right?”
“Yes, I hope you can maintain that positive attitude,” Henry warned as he handed over a file.
Shaewn paused before he took the thick manila folder.
“Thank-”
“Nonsense,” McCoy insisted. He thought back to a week ago. Pietro still wouldn‘t look at him. He sighed. “I’m not often a good enough person. At least I can be of service to my friends, if nothing else.”
“Well I thought you invented a ton of medical procedures that saved lives all over the world? And what else are you supposed to do to be ‘good enough‘ ?” Shaewn asked as he fingered the opening of the file. “You’re not a machine, Henry- you‘re, you’re family. Besides with everything you’re doing for my uncle, for me, risking so much…”
McCoy stared at the boy as if something very profound had been said. He grabbed the boy in a brief hug.
Shaewn smiled politely despite his uncomfortability. He just felt they hadn’t reached that stage of their friendship in spite of the secrets they shared and kept. McCoy released him.
“Thank you. You’ll never known what a comfort those few words are. I didn’t realize I needed them.”
Shaewn nodded.
Henry left and Shaewn smiled, glad he could help someone.

He ripped open the folder and spread the confidential report dealing with Matt’s foster care situation across his bed. Fingering the case number, he used to have his own- he’d memorized it- and now Matt had one. Somehow he felt this was his fault.
Twenty minutes later, a drop of wetness blurred the ink, turning the spot on the page a contrasting grey. When it was followed by another, Shaewn looked for a leak in the ceiling or a spying Jamie. He saw nothing.
Slowly bringing his fingers to his cheek, he wiped away the tears. The words on the page said Matt was happier, eating, and recovering. He was adjusting well to his new life. But Shaewn could not forget their last words to each other.

*…passed his hand carefully over Matt’s sweaty forehead and whispered, “Soon. I promise my one and only friend.” Then he turn and ran…*

Pushing all the papers off his bed into a mushy pile on the floor, he groaned. Maybe neither of them needed to be rescued anymore. Maybe they were both as saved as they were going to be.

In the danger room:

“Hey shug, ah got a question,” Rogue said in between heaving breathes as she dodged another series of Wolverine’s attacks.
That afternoon he’d called her to ask if she’d wanted to spar with him for a while and she had accepted only because she wanted to try and talk to him about Ororo. Unfortunately she was beginning to wonder if she’d live that long.
Wolverine withdrew into a defensive crouch, waiting to leap and attack her.
“No questions,” he spat.

*Words were distractive.*

Rogue expelled a breathe before deciding playing nice was only going to get her a legion of bruises and little answers. Before Wolverine could rise she tried to jump on him knees first, an unexpected move. He lost his breathe as the inconceivable weight of her body nearly broke his back. He wrenched himself out of the way with only one knee catching him in the rib.
Rogue quickly straddled him and immobilized seven pressure points in his upper joints with a set of punches he had taught her. He laughed as the danger room suddenly announced their time was up, Rogue‘s arm raised for a punch to the face.
Immediately Marie stood, smiling genially, and offered Logan a hand.

Logan resisted allowing himself even one moan of pain as Marie eased him up. He had been kicking her ass for twenty seven minutes, a living punch bag, and in the last three minutes she had shown him who was boss. Marie first massaged the blood flow back into his joints. After a momentary check of his pain threshold, he was pretty sure he had two ribs that were either bruised or strained but thankfully unbroken, seven massive bruises, and a twisted back. It wasn’t weakness that made him allow Marie to deliver her patented massage: it was necessary. He couldn’t hit a fly right now.

“So Ah still got my question.”
Marie’s statement was breaking a twenty minute silence.
Logan coughed and swore from the pain of it. “Ugh, shoot.”
“Any reason we had to get so rough? I thought we were getting’ friendly until you walked in, shug,” Marie said. “Now who’s head do you really want to rip off?”
“Enh, ain’t like you don’t know his name.”
“He?!” Marie said in surprise. She didn’t know there was some idiot running around pissing Logan off except that ‘Jamie’ kid. “The one that got into a fight with Shaewn?”
Logan groaned now as the jolt of pain seizing his heart had nothing to do with his physical injuries. “He’s a little young for O, don’t’cha think?”
Marie frowned. “Then who?”
“Can’t remember his name,” Logan lied. “Some friend of Warr-”
“Hol’ it shug!” Marie crawled over to face Logan. “You mean that Brent character tha’ our ‘Ro couldn’t stan’ and made a complete ass of himself? Tha’ billionaire retard who actually believes he has a chance?”
Logan reached for his cigars and remembered he was in the danger room.

*I could really go for a smoke right now.*

“Something wrong with billionaires, shug?” he snarled sarcastically.
“Except for the fact that Ro is goin’ through some deep shite right now and trying to keep it together for everyone’s sake, maybe no,” Marie smirked. “Then again, he’s got like zero game. He freaked out in the cab when Ro totally rejected him and acted like a fresh mutie. Totally los’ control of himself on their non-date.”
Logan looked away, he didn’t want to see his reaction reflected in Marie’ s giant, receptive eyes.
“She get hurt?” he asked even though he knew she mustn’t have because that would have been more than idle gossip. He just asked out of habit and curiosity, he told himself.
Marie laughed, “Ro? No, baby, she had to take a taxi home with him though. He swallowed his car keys by accident.”
“What?” he turned back to her sharply and immediately regretted that choice. “How do you do that by accident?”
“He’s a shape shifter. She totally denied him at the restaurant, you know Ro- all polite,” Marie was starting to relish the old story being told fresh. “She suggested he take her home and he was okay until he turned into a jellyfish then back into a human really fast, he jus’ swallowed it up, ya know UP in him, and then he just lost it. All ashamed. He insisted they take a cab back to the mansion. Now Ah suspect he started to cry but ya know Ro, too polite tah say yes or no, and he jus’ started morphing out of control.”
“That’s sad,” Logan commented before looking away.

*The whole sorry situation.*

He still wished his cigars were close by. He could feel his healing factor at work finally. It shouldn’t take that long. He knew he probably ought to go to McCoy but he couldn’t begin to figure out what was wrong with him. Maybe a mission away would do him good. But he knew he shouldn’t leave Shaewn, not for awhile yet, so he put that aside.
*Too bad nothing in my old life can help me in this one.*

In the Attic floor:

Later that night nearly everyone was asleep. The estate was peaceful as these people feel to sleep with trepidation in their heart for the coming days, either worried or excited.

Ororo lay on her bed, her elbow resting on her knee and her other leg tucked underneath her body as she waited for midnight to come and pass.
Everyone had begun to notice Logan’s strange running habits, his inability to be at simple daily events like dinner, and knew the two causes for this circle.
He wanted to leave because of her, Ororo told herself, but he returned for his nephew who needed him still very desperately.
Tucking some loose curls behind her ear, Ororo breathed quickly to stop herself from crying. Finally she saw the digital clock on her nightable click to 12:30 in the morning. Grabbing her gift and refusing to look at herself in the mirror she made her way to Logan’s door.

He didn’t wait for her to knock but was waiting for her in his door frame as if he could hear more than her footsteps approaching.
Smiling, she handed him the box of candy and case of beer.
“I apologize Logan,” she said. Suddenly she felt very humble. “I shouldn’t have acted the way I did this morning. It was a betrayal of trust.”
Grinning at her peace offerings he took them in hand. He never felt her touch, as she let go as soon as the items were in his grasp. Irregardless, he was in a good mood despite the late hour.
“No problem.” His eyes seem to search for another reason for this apology than the one she had given but they were unable to find it. At least nothing he could discern.

Ororo giggled underneath her breathe.

*So I can surprise you still, Logan?*

She knew he had sensed her presence but could not have expected it. Something about that comforted her. It meant where they stood now was not set in any sort of stone.
“How do ya do it, Ororo?” he asked her suddenly.
“Do what?” she frowned, confused.
“Know just the right thing to say? Shaewn tol’ me about your talk the day of the fight,” Logan looked her in the eye. “Thank you.”
“Obviously I don’t, Logan. Tomorrow morning, same time, strictly Tai Chi?” she asked simply.
“For you? Always,” he said before retreating into his room. If she had known he was praying for her to knock, she didn’t acknowledge this.

Smiling once more, Ororo walked away. Moments later she felt him encircle her like a wolf circling an old friend.
“By the way, sorry. I should never have walked away,” he told her as he brushed her cheek with his fingers. Usually, like the night they danced, she’d feel he was too close for comfort or some sort of danger but at this moment, his presence and words were a comfort. She cupped his cheek, stroking the soft tissue underneath his eye, before again walking away.

The next morning:

Ororo awoke bright and early with the waning moon and greeted the sun gloriously as she flew as high as she could go. The air was freezing and the air strangely both still and fleet as she steadied herself enough to practice the tai chi she had learned. In order to accomplish this she had to clear her mind of everything that troubled it including Logan’s last words to her.
Only when she got to her room did she realize the full spectrum of what he might mean. The amount of possibilities racked her mind and she was unable to sleep until three hours later.

With her mind completely swept open, she moved as one with nature. Here, in the realm of the wind, she rode safely as no other man or woman could. With these thoughts she lost her concentration and playfully she allowed the wind to slide her over the rough shackles of the currents, first one way and then the next.
Finally, Ororo plunged straight down, head first, to Earth before she was too late for her appointment with Logan.
She knew she ought to stop far before she neared the hard ground, for safety’s sake, but Ororo was prepared for the risk. She could see the individual branches before she flipped over, grabbed her knees and twisted herself around- grinding the earth below the lake with the hard winds snaking themselves around her. Peacefully the gusts and spatters of water grinded to a halt.

*Thank the Goddess no one is awake this early or they may have been hurt.*

At this thought, Ororo felt the presence of another.

“Charles?”
*Yes, Ororo are you alright?* his voice emanated caution and concern.
Ororo grinned as she rode the gentler winds, closer to the earth, to her room with her legs folded into the lotus position and her hands clasping her ankles.
“Better than I have been in a long time, my friend.”
Charles didn’t respond for so long, Ororo reached her room and assumed he was gone as she haphazardly got dressed and brushed her hair into a loose ponytail.

*Ororo? …I’m glad.*

She smiled as she ran to meet Logan. Instead of being late she was early for their session. When Logan stumbled in, still groggy, she suggested he at least indulge in coffee.
“Thanks, but we better just get started.”

Twenty minutes later, Logan was in pain. His ribs hadn’t quite healed up yet, especially after his thirty mile run, and his muscles were too sore. He knew the wounds were gone, it was just his inability to sleep it off. He’d showered for an hour in icy water after Ororo had walked away last night until his body had thrown up in protest. It was impossible to stop his heart contracting in desire and memory of what her hips felt like as they quivered for him…He hadn’t slept at all. This morning he’d taken another icy shower, repeated his promise to himself, but it was pointless. The only thing he’d managed to control was his erection and barely. He wondered how Ororo didn’t mention it as it kept slapping her thighs.

*Probably leaving bruises…bruises I could tease and kiss away…*

Normally he would just cancel but it would be worse not to see her, not to be in the one place he still had the right to touch her intimately. Ororo was completely focused on following his instructions body, mind, and soul. He groaned as he used his knee to push her thigh further back into a lunge.
He heard the saliva of her tongue touch her upper lip. Through his chest he could feel her slow intake of breathe, her breasts shifting in her bra. Smell the sweat from her raised arms…

*God Damn God Damn God Damn God Damn God Damn God Damn God Damn God Damn God Damn God Damn God Damn God Damn God Damn God Damn God Damn God Damn God Damn God Damn God Damn God Damn God Damn God Damn God Damn God Damn God Damn God Damn God Damn God Damn God Damn God Damn God Damn God Damn God Damn God Damn God Damn God Damn!!!!*

He pushed himself away.
“Ororo I think, I think that’s enough,” he sputtered as he wiped the sweat from his forehead. It took all his concentration not to lose his control and delve into his hypocritical desires.
After a minute of holding the pose he’d placed her in she turned to him, “Huh?”
Immediately he pretended to bend over and stretch so he wouldn’t have to look at her.
“I said that’s enough. All I got to teach you. Now it’s up to you,” he said from his bent position.
“Oh,” she started to stretch as well. “Well, thank you Logan. I’ve never felt my mind so relaxed but more in control in my life. I feel my chi is definitely on its way to balance.”

She touched the crown of his head with her forehead for a moment before leaving. As he heard the door softly close, he dropped to the ground.

*Shower, just keep showering.*
The Moon’s Cha Cha Chiro Prt 1 by Storms_rose
Symbols:
*…*= thoughts, usually of the last speaker
"...." = speaking
... = In a phone conversation, a pause for the person on the other side of the line to speak.


Remy pouted. Locking himself in the bathroom he shared with his love, Marie also known as Rogue, he contemplated what Ororo had said to him just a few moments ago.

*“So?” she snapped. “We both know he wanted to be kissed.”
“Maybe he can’t talk about your relationship when all he can think about is sex.”
Ororo sat up.
“Frighteningly I don’t think you’re entirely discussing me,” she held up her hand…*

“What de hell she mean by that?” he muttered to himself, perched on a corner of the bathtub. Seconds later he heard the door knob shake. He stood and escaped out the window, preferring to be alone right then. Softly he shut the window behind him.
As he dropped to the ground he heard Marie calling on the other side of the door, confused at why the door was locked from the inside. Confusion, and if he began to be honest with himself denial, racked his mind as he walked away.

Hours later he found himself wandering the streets of Manhatten’s Lower east side no closer to understanding what Ororo might have meant. He knew it would be easier to have her explain it to him. Unfortunately she now had her own relationship problems.
It was funny but when Logan had left he’d wanted to follow him, just to beat the man to a pulp for breaking his promise. He’d promised to never hurt her, they had been giddy with the sappiness of first love. Remy wanted to protect his petit soeur but Ororo insisted he stay with her. She begged him not to leave and how could he refuse such a request, how could have Logan?!
That night he learned as much of the truth of what happened that night as anyone could ever know.
In the morning, Ororo paid careful attention to every detail, moving with exquisite grace, as she completed the simple task of rising and greeting the day. He knew she’d have preferred to stay in bed and hide.
But the true Ororo did what had to be done, never shirking her responsibilities for selfish pleasures. Even if it meant letting go of those she wished to keep closest.
So he let go too of his anger for the man who broke her heart. He could see he was a wounded. And Remy had an honour not to kick a man who was already down.

He entered a shabby, dark café. After he’d ordered a latte from an extremely lovely young waitress he tried writing what Ororo had said on a napkin so maybe if he saw it visually he would comprehend her words better. He was one of the few who realized when she spoke she didn’t do so to hear her own voice and as such he valued her thoughts and opinions.
He had been talking about her and Logan. If he wasn’t talking about them which couple in the house did she think he was discussing so frighteningly with clarity? Running a hand through his hair he only looked up when the waitress sat down and introduced herself as Amy.
“You seem troubled,” she stated. Her hands were folded over themselves and her elbows rested on the rim of the small table. He suddenly knew how this was supposed to play out. Outside the sun had long ago set behind a building dotted skyline.
“Hm, Ah am,” he said and looked away, uncomfortable. He had a knack for knowing, at least being very good at betting, what a possible lover would be like in bed. Amy promised to be a wild romp. And he knew he could match her for skill. He wondered if Marie would mind. They hadn’t really discussed their boundaries since this summer. Before she’d given him one freebie a year…something he didn’t really take advantage of.
“Maybe I could help you. I’ve discovered something working here,” she leaned over, her breasts oozing slightly out of her shirt and Remy focused on her eyes through his sunglasses. Still he noticed a neon green pendant tucked into the flesh.
She flicked her hair off her shoulders, “That physical exercise can help solve most riddles. Its been scientifically proven. Once you’re mind is thoroughly cleared…even the most brainless can solve any problem.” She reached for his hand.
“Yeah,” he stood, pulling out enough bills to cover his bill. She stood as well, smiling with an inner knowledge. “I’ll try running. Thanks!”

When he was several blocks from the café, he finally breathed a sigh of relief. He knew she’d been tempting him without really having any expectations. She was a hunter, like he had once been, searching for different, higher conquests. The more exotic, the better. She was toying with him on her break for something better. He wondered what it would be like having a beer with this girl but he already knew the answer to that. Danger!
In any case he’d never had any intention to mindlessly fuck Amy simply because he was out of practice with that type. She hadn’t even thought him worth subtlety. She probably expected him to slink back to her tonight, tempted to discover her ‘mysterious’ world of physicality. He snorted.
Somewhere that stung his ego but another part of him smiled. Sex had stopped being mindless, in fact it was all about the mind, to him a long time ago. Seducing the Amy’s of the world paled against conversing with Marie.
He looked up at the moon and decided quickly that it was time he let Marie know what he was thinking instead of pointlessly wandering the city.

Taking out his cell he dialled the room they shared as he let his feet to meander.
“Hullo?” Marie sounded muffled.
“Hey, chere, yo’ asleep?” he made his voice deep and husky and she matched him immediately with a tiny giggle.
“Hihi, no, shoguh,” he could hear her finding a comfortable spot on the opulent bed. “Question is, why ain’t ya here keeping my little body warm?”
“I dunno,” he played with a lock of hair hanging in his forehead. He needed a haircut but it was too late now. “I’m far, far away from yo’ bed. I miss yo‘.”
“Naw, ya righ’ here, baby,” she paused. “In my heart.”
“In yo’ mind too?”
He knew she was touching herself and he smiled. “Ugh yes.”
“Yo’ in mine too. An’ I need yo’ to touch me, tell me yo’ love me, “ he whispered. He was passing some men and he grinned at the thought of them overhearing his words.
“Ah love ya, swamp rat. Ah need ya, why can’t ya just touch it? Ah want ya so bad. Do ya know what this body is doing when you’re not here? It’s a little traitor,” she moaned into the phone.
“Can yo’ wait fer a minute, ah want ya to come to me. Ah wanna finish the job, sugah,” he growled the nickname she gave everyone she loved and he knew she was licking her fingers, rubbing her tiny bud, writhing at his words.
“No!” her moans were taking her higher and higher, he knew at this point it was nearly impossible for her to hang on to the phone without breaking it in half with a satisfied squeeze. “No I can’t wait!!!”
“Come to Manhatten, mon amour, I need yo’,” he whispered insistently, she cried out as she tried not to come without him. He loved torturing her like this, when she loved to be tortured. “Come to me. We’ll dance the night away and then, fuck the morning away too. We pretend this worl’ don’t exist. I need to taste yo, woman, don’t yo’ hear what you’re doing to me?”
“I can’t, I can’t,” she begged. “Remy, take me out to the city tomorrow nigh’ bu’ take me home tonight!”
“When I come home,” he found himself back at the café. Amy looked up and saw him. He was breathing heavily and flashed her a grin. Amy waved his napkin at him as she walked slowly forward. “The first thing I’m going to taste is your entire pussy, don’t you dare move until I can come clean yo’ up. I’m going to take those legs in my han’ and lift them up. Baby I’m going to feast on yo’ tonight like yo’ my one and only baby. Then I’m going to devour every inch of yo’ body from the tip of yo’ toes to each nipple to yo’ beautiful eyes. I don’t care how long we have to stay up, I have to find a part of yo’ I have never touched…”
Marie was screaming into her pillow as she came, he knew he was on speaker. “Chere, chere I have to put my dick to a part inside of you I haven’t stroked. We will be ecstasy together. I need yo’ right now, I-CLICK!” He laughed, “See yo’ at home, mon amour.“
He knew she must have accidentally kicked the phone or someone had walked in. Still laughing he folded his phone into his pocket and turned to see Amy holding the napkin out to him.
“Hey there hot stuff.”
He took the napkin gently. “I try”
“Yes, I’m sure you don’t have to. Why aren’t you at home doing all those things with your girlfriend instead of being here with me?” she folded her arms in front of her chest which actually emphasized it. She looked nervous to his discerning eye, maybe scared. She hadn’t expected him to return quite like that.
Carefully he leaned on the window. “Do yo’ want me?”
“Does it matter?”
He laughed.
“Une petite.”
She flicked her hair back. He could tell it was her “Yeah, I’m sexy” move. He’d mistaken a false innocence when she was only in first gear. She still thought she sorta had him.
“Maybe I did. But if I really wanted you, like I said, I’d stop all this talk business. You’d be doing all those things to me. And more…”
Licking his teeth in thought, “Yeah, she’s not expecting me for hours.”
“Then what are you waiting for?”

Three hours later Remy gasped as he came for the second time that early morning. Clasping his chest with his one hand not propping him up, he cursed, “Merde, merde! Femme,a mon dieu, yo’ trying to kill me?”
She only laughed. He cringed at the sound as he rolled over, breathing deeply. After a half hour of fighting sleep he sat up, pushing his legs over the edge of the bed.
She draped herself around his shoulder and he took her hand as if still unsure what to do with it.
At her own initiative, she delicately touched his sensitive penis head. And he hissed at the painful pleasure. She hushed him with kisses and he smiled at such tender touches between a pair like themselves.
Not many who saw them sparring a battle of wits would expect it of either of them, that they had it in them. Not one.
When she kissed his penis and balls, caressing his body, he let his neck completely relax. Staring at the ceiling and his hands wrapped in dirty sheets, dirt of their own making, he regretted holding himself back for so long.
Doubting this physical touch.
How right it could be.

He cursed momentarily as he remembered he still had to take Marie out that night. He still hadn’t slept. Not real sleep, anyway. With a twinge of regret, he broke her contact. As he got on his clothes he watched her seductive dance as she went back to bed. She smiled and snuggled into the sheets.
Her eyes beckoned him for more and he fought with reason to stay firm.
The Moon’s Cha Cha Chiro Prt 2 by Storms_rose
Symbols:
*…*= thoughts, usually of the last speaker
"...." = speaking
... = In a phone conversation, a pause for the person on the other side of the line to speak.

“Rogue, no more sex! If we do, we won’t have any energy for our date. Femme, yo’ betta stop lookin’ at me like tha’,” he warned her sternly as he put on his pajamas. He intended to keep them on this time too. She giggled.
“Fine, I’m going to shower. Alone,” she said, overstressing the word ‘alone‘. She flung the sheets away.
“Good,” he retorted. “Too much anyway isn’t good for anyone. Even me.”
“Psh, O hail the mighty wisdom of the penis,” she smirked before dashing into the bathroom before he could hit her with the pillow.
He snuggled under the sheets but they stunk of sex. He wrinkled his nose and pushed them off. He’d practically peed his cum everywhere when Marie had finished with him at about two in the morning. Then she woke up at four. Now it was seven o’clock and he couldn’t sleep because their room smelled of sex funk and delirious happiness. It was too cold to open a window.
Scratching his head he got up and marched over to the bathroom.
Restraint, sleep, and solitude were the top three most overrated virtues of his world.

That afternoon Rogue left a snoring Remy drowning in his own drool. She knew he was completely exhausted. She had done that to him and almost felt bad about it. She didn’t really feel it was necessary for them to date anymore. But he was a diehard romantic and insisted on it despite his exhaustion.
When she met Kitty making her lunch she couldn’t resist sharing her wild night. Even better was the night to come. Kitty relished the fantastic story long after Rogue went back to bed for a power nap. Even though she swore to keep it a secret to herself, she thought she might die if she couldn’t share such hotness.

When Kitty happened to encounter Jubilee in the hall she couldn’t help at least sharing the location of the hot date: the new salsa club- the Cha Cha Chiro. Jubilee managed to remain calm while she was being told but she knew there could be more to the story.
Immediately she knew that Rogue had sent this news as a sign.

Jubilee’d been wondering how to move on to step number three ever since Henry had taken care of the proximity of step two. It had been brilliant but the lessons had lasted a mere two days before they’d given it up completely. Some nonsense about Ororo’s balance coming together or some such. And the Professor had approved!
Giggling Jubilee ran to Bobby’s room, banging on his door. She heard a groan of surprised complaint and a bang. Then he opened the door, his expression perverse.
“Whassa matter with you?” he muttered as he scratched the back of his head. He’d been sleeping in late as usual, in nothing but his boxers and socks (which didn’t match), but he grinned anyway.
Jubilee smiled. “Time to wake up sleepy head. Hit your head?”
“Come to kiss it better?”
Jubilee laughed and pushed past him into his room. It was only a mild disaster because of the weekly checks. She knew he was constantly at war with his floor rep, who wanted to report him, and the other boys on the floor who wanted to save him from trouble. The lengths they had to go to -from cleaning raids to the horrified maids hired -were becoming legendary.

Still there was a mouldy sandwich somewhere in here, she could smell it.

“Ha, you wish. Now listen up, we’ve got a lot of work to do before tonight.”
He groaned, “Another party? What, you think those happen out of nowhere? You’ve gotta give me at least a day notice. Even if it does come with a lot of bit-”
“Stop talking if you value your life. Now Kitty told me what Marie told her which was delivered by Remy: They’re going out tonight on a super horny date. You’ve got to get them all to go. Of course without Logan.”
Bobby put up his hands defensively.
“What do I look like? An adult charmer? I can’t force them all to go out tonight. Or even try to tell Logan what to or not to do. Besides why ‘of course’ without the main objective? Lady, are you crazy?” Bobby paused with his finger tapping his lips meditatively. “Remy and Marie have dates for horniness? I thought they just kinda-”
“Hell Bobby, we have to do something!” Jubilee cried out, effectively changing the subject. “We have got to be proactive!!! Isn’t that what they teach us at this school? Step 3 is to let them have a taste of each other. Now dammit they are going to have a taste and a half of each other. If I, we, have something to say about it. Which we do.”
Bobby rolled his eyes. “So what do we do?”
“Dammit,” Jubilee shook her fist in his face with determination. “We assemble.”

In the living room:

The women of the X household had gathered for great matters of the most important topics of the week. Plans for the upcoming holiday season were in full swing. One of the events everyone looked forward to was the White Charity Ball which the committee was putting the last details on. Also they had to arrange the weekend sled rides, log duty (for the fireplace in the evenings), presents, acquiring a tree, a tree decorating party, end of term party, a relaxing Christmas eve and Christmas eve day, family dinner on Christmas night, daily movie marathon nights, and not to mention New Years Eve and New Years day brunch.
Every year they tried something a little better, a little bigger then the year before. This year the ball would be bigger then ever with a live band, DJ, and acts from some of the kids. As well as a midnight balloon drop and an ice fountain with smoke machine.
Betsy, Jean, Ororo, Lorna, Kitty, Allison, and even Emma (who was there for the occasion of the Charity ball and nothing more) surrounded the circular table when Jubilee burst into the room. She plopped herself in between Ororo and Jean as they argued over what seemed like minor details to the young girl.
At a pause in the conversation, the one second everyone took a breathe, Jubilee spoke up.
“So this is great and everything for latttteeerrr but what’s everybody’s plan for getting hot and sweaty tonight?”
Everyone turned towards her immediately.
“What do you propose?” Emma asked bluntly.
“Heard Cha Cha Chiro is the place to be. Women of the household should be there,” she snapped her gum, smirking as she stood to skip away. “If you wanna get laid instead of mucking about the kitchen details.”
She laughed when they kicked her out with playful shouts of “Too young!” and the meeting continued without her. Jubilee had winked at Jean before she’d closed the door behind her. She left it up to Jean to convince the women to go despite the crudeness of her suggestion.

Jean closed her eyes. She knew Jubilee was sending her a message but what would happen if she followed through?

She would be left in a crowd, alone, with her thoughts.

Watching what she wanted to be HERS, go for another.

She had once thought he was lost but that had been a delusion. A trick.





*NO.*

Jean sat back in her seat, looking down and clutched her sheaves of documents, if only to control her thoughts from Emma. The room seemed to explode with idle chatter that had little to do with their earlier purpose. When Jean looked up carefully, Emma was blatantly ignoring her.
Kitty broached the topic first, “She’s right. I for one am tired of waiting for these wishy washy X-boys to come to us. Let’s all go out.” Kitty looked at Jean. “What do you think?”
Jean grunted before standing.
“I don’t care,” she muttered before blowing out of the room in a huff.
“Marriage sex,” Emma observed. A few giggled openly.
“Hell, she’s right. Fuck an invitation,” Allison commented as she stuck her pencil in her hair and used it to create a makeshift bun. “Betsy are you up for being my wingman for the night?”
“Most definitely,” Betsy grinned, nodding, and turned to the group. “I’ve got two more seats in my convertible.”
“Ha,” Allison crowed. “Who’s got the balls to dare party with us?”
She stared at each one of them, waiting for someone to take her challenge.
“Let’s make it interesting,” Kitty said, excited as she leaned in to eager listeners. “Who can bag the most in one night?”
Silence reigned. Finally, Ororo sighed and stood.
Lorna groaned.
“Oh, don’t be such a ice queen, Ororo,” she begged. “That used to be Emma’s job. Don’t pretend you don’t know how to have some fun.”
“Some people sit around talking about having fun, I just go and do it,” Ororo said quietly before she closed the door behind her. The women cheered.
“Hear, hear,” Betsy said, approvingly. Kitty smiled.
“I’ll take a seat,” Kitty said to Lorna, even raising her hand a little.
Lorna nodded, “So will I.”
“I have my own transport,” Emma commented. Everyone turned to her in shock.
Betsy smirked, “This isn’t your kind of place. It‘s openly sleazy without the money to cover it up.”
“A place for cheap sex, masturbation standing up, and cheaper alcohol?” Emma laughed, a full throttle sound that engulfed her gym chiselled figure. “I think I’ll have to spend more time racking my points than any of you. Now what’s the prize?”
They all grinned together and schemed.

Later that afternoon in the Jean’s Apartment:

“Jubilee-”Jean sighed.
“Look,” Jubilee grasped Jean’s hands. Jean tore them away and stuck them under her armpits.
“Sorry, I haven’t washed them,” Jean said, an unconvincing lie even to the distracted young girl.

Jubilee sighed. She didn’t understand why Jean was being so fucking difficult when her job was incredibly simple. When she had talked to Kitty, it had been Kitty who had convinced the women not only to go but inspired Ororo to go and get ready for the night. Now Jean just had to make sure that Logan understood he wasn’t invited.

“Jean, you agreed to help us, help your friends. All you have to do is tell Logan he shouldn’t come out with you guys tonight. When he asks why, as he inevitably will, you tell him ‘frankly the girls want Ororo to have a good time withoooouuutt you!‘. Don’t use my words or he’ll know you’re lying. Actually its better if you tell someone in our group to tell him so it spreads the lie. He might be suspicious but too curious to care.”
Jean grabbed Jubilee by the shoulders. Jubilee cried out as she felt Jean touching her mind.

*Jubilee I can’t always be your manipulator. Find someone else. I’m not going to do everything you tell me to.

You are a child.

And you’re meddling

In the affairs of people to whom you are no concern.

Wolverine is a father now.

Ororo will fall in love with the billionaire and leave us.*


Jean moaned, trying to reign in her emotions. She could feel Jubilee’s intense, swift feelings… the pain of the intrusion… and the depth to which she cared for her family. Jean felt herself reacting instinctively: to save herself from the deep reproach, the regret of the act, and the earnest wish to make good what was destroyed. It was like watching a movie in 3D-unable to touch or affect the events as someone who was playing her character ran amok in her body.

By the time Jubilee kneed Jean in the crotch and ran out of the room she felt her memory of the moment fading second by second.

When Jubilee got down the hall, touching the hallway doorknob with sweaty palms, she couldn’t remember why she was running.

At the same time in the Kitchen:

Logan had created the perfect sandwich. A goddess of bread, vegetables, sauce, and meat. It was created with love, attention, and half of an entire ham.
Four heads of lettuces, three tomatoes, one Spanish onion, a block of cheese, thirty three slices of spiced leftover turkey, half a can of mayo, a small tub of buttermilk butter, five different Italian sauces, two sausages, forty two spices, a pack of pepper, and a dash of sea salt when into the making off. It spanned the entire kitchen table with its pure flavor.
Logan grinned. He’d done good. It could take him days to digest this meal.
McCoy walked in and nearly died of the shock.

“Good god man, are you trying to kill yourself?” he asked Logan incredously. “Honestly, the cholesterol alone!”
“Hey, what’s a little heart burn when you’re stomach can be so fulfilled,” he joked.
McCoy grunted as he retrieved a Caesar salad from the refrigerator.
“If that’s the worst that ails the heart…”
Logan nodded as he started to nibble on the edges, letting the sauces drip over his chin. McCoy shook his head. Remy and Shaewn walked in, one looking like he had a chip off his shoulder and the other with open fascination.
“What’s the matter, young man?” McCoy asked. “Or should I say young men?”
Remy snorted, “My pre-sex sex date has turned into a three ring circus so odere den dat, nothin‘.”
His accent always thickened uncontrollably when he was annoyed or angry: he was both.
“Pre-sex sex date!” Shaewn repeated with sympathetic glee.
“Oh yes, I’ve been told about the tango excursion,” McCoy said.
Remy glared at him, “And how de hell did even de lab zombie know about de Cha Cha?”
McCoy shrugged.
“Ororo asked me to accompany her to save her from, from,” McCoy stopped as he realized everyone was resting their eyes on him. “From nothing but the pleasure of my company.”
Logan looked away to his sandwich.
“Woah, Uncle Logan,” Shaewn said to break the awkward silence. “That’s some sandwich. Can I have some?”
“Bah,” Remy shouted. “No one cares about my sex.”
He stomped out but not before he slammed his fist into the door to let the inanimate object know who was boss.
McCoy shrugged and followed Remy, dabbing at his food with his fork, the fake silver appearing delicate in his paws.

In the hallway:

Seconds later, Remy awaited McCoy near the hallway bathroom door. McCoy turned the corner, completely focused on his meal and slightly wondering what to wear for the night when he suddenly saw the young man.
He was glowering.
“Fer nothin’ less den ma petit,” Remy warned McCoy. “Nuthin.”
He nodded.
“Trust me, he’s hooked and baited. Tonight, we skewer and feast on his supposed testosterone and male ego.”
“Ugh,” Remy laughed. “Way to make even seduction clinically gross, Henry.”
“I have my moments.”
“So what do you have to save her from?” Remy asked.
McCoy shrugged, an action he was getting tired of. It usually meant he was shrugging off a lie.
“Warren is still pushing Brent on Ororo,” he explained. “She prefers the forcefully avoiding tactic since simple verbal protests aren’t working.”
McCoy smiled and kept walking as Remy contemplated this nugget of information.

In the kitchen:

Shaewn laughed, delighted in cramming his mouth full of the sandwich made for a god. Logan stared at his nephew bloat and his food disappear. Besides a twinge of annoyance, he could feel his mind wandering despite himself.
Shaewn quieted down. He could see his uncle watching him but his mind was a million miles away. Shaewn decided it was time to bring Logan back.
“So you going to the club tonight? Except for Ms. Munroe and Mr. McCoy, I heard its kind of an all girl thing.”
“Shaewn-” Logan sighed. “I ain’t going. I‘m happy. We‘re happy, adjusting.”
“Good,” Shaewn smiled. He had to speak around the food. “Yeah, we’re adjusting. It’s time everyone is happy and adjusted,” he paused as he thought of Matt. “Except little old grounded me.”
“Hey,” Logan looked up, a mere glance of a smile. “You earned that by throwing the first punch.”
“Yeah,” Shaewn laughed as he wiped the side of his mouth in satisfaction. Half the sandwich was gone and Logan squinted as he watched his nephew calculate where to put the other half in his slim frame. “I know. I’m over that. But hopefully I’ll be released from imprisonment in time for Christmas Eve, Scrooge.”
Logan chuckled on the outside because he didn’t dare to frighten his nephew with his true face. The face that was desire and jealousy incarnate.

That night at The Cha Cha Chiro:

The more Logan thought about it, the more it burned him up. They had only dated a few short weeks in the summer. And yet, Ororo and he had never gone on a proper date. He showed Scott more courtesy. Gunning his bike, he weaved through traffic until he reached a deserted side street where he took a break to try and calm down again. All around him the city blocks hummed with the sounds of millions of people’s lives.
Logan needed life to take a break so he could regroup his priorities. Except of course that wasn’t happening anytime soon. He was breaking more promises to Ororo then he was keeping. He’d promised to love her and stay by her, keep her safe. Check, check, check- he’d missed the mark on all three.

*Just one minute. Just to see the place for a minute. I won’t even have a beer.*

Logan started back up the bike with renewed determination. When he arrived minutes later he didn’t even bother to park properly. The building throbbed from the music and the stomping of hundreds of enthusiastic feet squeezed into a building too small and overpacked.
He was fiercely determined to be there for mere seconds at best. Just to check up on everyone. Besides he hated places like this because they weren’t safe.

*That’s what being mature is all about…*

He slipped in the back entrance after snipping the lock in half with his claws. He entered a cramped hall that remained unlit except a weak flickering bulb hanging from a wire. He could smell two rank washrooms and he heard a familiar heartbeat even through the sexual, up beat music around the corner. A small glow ahead guided him forward. What he saw made him smile for once since the sandwich disaster.

Ororo had her back pressed to the wall, beautiful in a simple blue silk tank top and jeans. Her legs were long, miles long and her expression was happy, even relieved. Logan felt his body moving forward, slowly pouring out of the shadows.
Ororo looked up and smiled slowly. “Hello stranger.”
“Hey,” Logan looked around uncomfortably. He had meant to retreat but there was the small intakes of breath, the whispered giggle, the sweet scent of her perspiration attracting him forward. He wondered if this was them moving forward towards something or a coincidence. Lately it felt he couldn’t escape talk of Ororo or the woman herself and he was trying.

*Well obviously not hard enough.*

“Watcha hidin’ here for?” he asked her as he continued slowly towards her. When he was beside her, he leaned his head on the wall and basked in the open beauty of her. She looked back at him just as peacefully. He heard her hand reaching for his and immediately his arm went limp. Her hand slipped into his and her fingers wrapped around his. Logan smiled ruefully as Ororo explained why she was hiding.
“I invited Henry because I,” Ororo paused. “I don’t know why I invited him really. I was avoiding causing anyone more pain. Do you understand?”
“Yeah,” Logan nodded. “I’ve been trying that out myself. How’s it working out fer you?”
Ororo chuckled, “I’ve only hurt myself. Henry is a terrible dancer! My feet are killing me. Which is unfortunate as I was looking forward to a little dancing.”
Logab burst out into laughing until Ororo put her fingers over his mouth to quieten him.
“Shh! I don’t want him to find me!” Ororo begged. Logan put his arms around her to draw her close as they collapsed into giggles on each other‘s shoulders. “Shh, let’s go outside and make our escape!”

They tumbled out of the back entrance, still giggling. Logan held on to Ororo’s waist, her arms around his neck- they began to sway to the music, completely out of beat with the fast pace. Ororo’s cheek slid down Logan’s until her forehead rested in the crest of tense muscles bulging in his shoulder. Logan eased his nose into the waves of Ororo’s hair and breathed in deeply. The grime of the parking lot: the cigarette butts, broken used condoms, and small pebbles and scraps of trash slipped away and disappeared. For those two, there was nothing but each other’s bodies and the thump of each other’s hearts against their separate ribcages.

Jean looked at the young man chatting her up.
“Get the fuck away from me,” she said suddenly as she sipped her fourth margarita. He slumped away sullenly, muttering under his breathe.
“Yeah, yeah, yeah I said fuck off!” she screamed after him. Kitty marched over to Jean’s stool at the bar.
“What the hell is wrong with you?” Kitty hissed. “If you didn’t want to come then why did you insist on coming???”
Jean glared at her but was unable to use her powers while the collar necklace was attached to her neck. The collar allowed her to drink copiously with relative safety from the thoughts of others.

*Unfortunately it doesn’t shut up yappy little whores.*

“Jean, you said that out loud,” Kitty sighed.
“Oh.”
Kitty helped her off the stool and shoved her towards the bathroom.
“Go cool off for awhile. Sober up some. Throw up some of that booze. Remember why we’re even here,” Kitty whispered.
Jean stumbled towards the bathroom, the urge to suddenly throw up was prevalent in her throat. She kicked open the women’s door but when she felt a cool breeze Jean immediately stumbled towards that instead. She could see the faint first flakes of snow falling softly down on the swaying couple who were enraptured by their own movements. Jean felt a teardrop fall over her bottom lashes before she turned back inside.
Once in the bathroom, she spent the rest of the evening vomiting until Lorna helped her to the parking lot. Rogue and Remy had barely made it out of their car before they headed back to the mansion to make love. Henry had long ago left with a brunette, Emma had distracted both Brent and Warren, and Allison had left with the grand prize.
She had been allowed to strike one thing off the list of activities and she chose to, in her words, “…stop the madness that is bad carolling. Can’t sing? Don’t start!”
Lorna and Betsy argued bitterly over whether Jean would be allowed in Betsy’s car until Lorna promised Betsy Jean would pay to have it cleaned. The girls all arrived home before they realized Ororo was missing.

In a field somewhere:

Millions of snowflakes casually fell from the sky. Logan wrapped his arms around his goddess. At least he called her that in his head but didn’t dare too out loud. He didn’t want her to take it any way he knew he shouldn’t mean it.
“Cold?”
She smiled and moved the snow with a small draft of wind.
“Oh right. Ya don’t get cold.”
She shrugged and pulled away.
“I get cold all the time. Just not like other people.”
“We should get back.”
She nodded.

Ororo wrapped her legs around the bike.
“It’s dangerous for you to drive this, in this weather,” she mentioned before he started up the engine.
Logan stopped moving. He could feel her arms at his waist, her legs resting beside his thigh.

*It feels right.*

“Logan?”
“Huh?”
“You should drive us home now. But please don‘t drive this in the snow anymore.”
“Kay.” He paused. “Ro? I-”
“Logan, please. I’m not exactly warm here.”
Logan bit his lip and drove.

The next morning, in Bobby’s room:

“What is that smell?” Jean complained. She had the hangover from hell but Henry had insisted she come.
“Well I’m positively ashamed of myself,” Henry interjected. “I was supposed to be watching Ororo but I allowed myself to be …distracted.”
Jubilee glared at him until Bobby patted her head.
“Worse,” Bobby noted. “Logan never showed up.”
Kitty shrugged. “No, what was worse was having to watch Jean make an ass of herself. Second worse, listening to her stomach self pump. Third worse, Logan never showed up.”
“No way,” Jubilee glowered. Her team had failed her and she was disappointed. “Logan must have come and left with no one seeing him. The point was for him to see Ororo in a new light.”
Jean groaned, “Always the romantic? He’s, he’s busy.” Everyone looked at a scruffy Shaewn, nervously carrying his textbooks. “With his own life now. Shaewn, you said he promised he wasn’t going.”
“Yup,” he said. “Look, if you guys don’t need me, I’d like to be off grounding before the next apocalypse.”
Remy nodded and Shaewn beelined out of the room. Bobby’s room was on the way to the library, which was why it was chosen as a meeting place. This however was news to Bobby.
“We have a library?”
“Shut it, its not funny!” Jubilee practically yelled. Everyone suffering from a hangover, essentially everyone but her and Bobby, glared. “I know Logan, okay? They invented reverse psychology with him in mind! I know he went Bobby, I know.”
“Aieght, we regroup later, shug,” Rogue suggested. “It was a good idea. An’, hell, maybe he did slip in an’ out. But until we figure something’ new? Why don’t we all try to relax an’ enjoy the upcoming holidays. Who knows? Maybe we won’t even have to do much else.”
Kitty nodded as they trouped out, back to their respective beds.
“True. Hey, guess how Ororo got home?” Kitty mentioned. “A taxi she told Betsy. All of those guys begging for her to breathe in their direction and she gets a taxi.”
Jubilee angrily watched as Jean closed the door behind them.
Bobby tried to smile. “Maybe we should just let it g-”
“I’m not giving up Bobby. I never will.”
Bobby nodded, his friend deadly serious.
“In fact I’m not even discouraged. If he didn’t go he certainly spent the whole night thinking about going. The White Charity Ball is the perfect opportunity for them to get a real taste of each other. A taste and a half!”
Fer Crying Out Loud, It’s Just a Fancy Name For Dance by Storms_rose
CHAPTER FIFTEEN
Fer Crying Out Loud, It’s Just a Fancy Name For Dance

Symbols:
*…*= thoughts, usually of the last speaker
"...." = speaking
... = In a phone conversation, a pause for the person on the other side of the line to speak.



In Ororo’s room the next morning after the Cha Cha Chiro:

She woke up with the hangover from hell.

*Ugggghhh, cooooofffeee for Goddess sake.*

Her brain hurt from thinking so much so she immediately stopped and rolled over, placing her pillow over her head and pressed down. The pressure in her brain refused to stop swelling to momentous proportions. The weather, despite the cold and snow, had the same humid qualities associated with late June. Ororo felt the change and decided it was better to try and slowly heal herself than attempt to force her powers to retract.

An hour later the crispness of the air returned and the sun began to rise. Ororo often found another effect of alcohol on her was an inability to sleep and an uncontrollable desire for coffee. One problem she could do nothing about but the second was within her power. She rose, quickly dressing in slacks, a tank top, and large sunglasses to cover the dark circles underneath her blurred blue eyes. When she reached the kitchen she found it blissfully empty but not for long. She tried to cover her surprise at seeing Remy so early but failed miserably as he softly began to chuckle.
“Never really got tah sleepin’,” he shrugged as an end to the explanation. He knew it was a lie. He wanted to get a cup of coffee in him before the meeting in Bobby’s room. He saw the coffee pot percolating and he wiggled his eyebrows appreciatively. “Ro, you a goddess, anybody ever tell you dat?”

Ororo smiled but couldn’t urge her jaw to move enough to respond verbally.
Remy nodded understanding.
Suddenly Ororo saw a funny expression cross Remy’s face but just as quickly it was gone. Any other time she would have asked if that was guilt but she felt unable to really speak in this condition.
“Had a good time? Last night?” Remy asked awkwardly, not knowing what to say to his friend. He knew what the glasses were for and her slacks were rumpled. It was the little things that made up Ororo’s personality. He knew it was such a small thing but she was starting to let the details slip. The split from Logan was affecting her more than she’d ever let on.

She nodded and took out two cups. She didn’t bother with any condiments because they both liked their coffee black if/when Ororo had coffee at all.
Remy didn’t miss this. He wondered how much the girls had let Ororo drink and regretted his hasty sexually charged exit. As Ororo poured the cups full of steaming black liquid Remy spoke a part of some of the things that had been weighing on his mind.

It was the silence. The silence between them was excruciating from his point of view and he spontaneously needed to fill it with something even if it was only half the truth.
“Ya kno‘,” and the cajun’s accent thickened from nerves. “Ah dinnit really agree wit dis relationship between yo’ an’ Logan. At first. We fought even about it since Ah dinnit wan’ him to break yo’ heart. Ah thought…Ah thought a lot o’ tings but mostly Ah dinnit wanna lose my Stormy.
Ah admit it: Ah was jealous. Not cuz a anyting like dat…” Remy’s heart raced as he rambled. He was trying to articulate his nervousness at meddling in the woman he considered his sister’s life. He needed her to unconsciously reassure him. To say something, anything, that could let him know he was on the right track. “It just, ah still cahnt explain it. Guess ah jus’ gon’ have tah trust yo’ understandin’. But chere, ah think dat love is beautiful. Ah see that it good for everyone. There’s been a lot of healin’ goin’ on round here cuz a love. Rugue, Shaewn…An’ mebbe, mebbe ah should jus’ min’ my own business.”

After her first sip of coffee, her eyes peering over the rim as she held the heat she couldn’t really distinguish by feel close to her face, she spoke.
“Remy, I understand,” she said simply to his confession. She could see he wanted to say more but that now was perhaps not the best time. Instead she chose to answer his first question more thoroughly. “You know, I honestly don’t remember most of last night. It felt like a dream, from far away. I remember you leaving and waving and…I was giggling with the girls. I remember chuckling as they began their flirting contest in earnest. I remember feeling incredibly bored. Then I wasn’t, I was happy for a time with the snow and the laughter and I was, I suppose you might call it content. But I knew I was content to forget. Then I remember flying off a moving motorcycle. No, it had stopped again then I flew off when someone tried to make me remember something. I didn’t want to hear anymore. There is only so much well, bullshit, one can hear. I was,” Ororo couldn’t find the right way to say ‘running away’ so she let her words trail away. She pushed her thick hair back with her hand and breathed heavily.
“Then I drank,” she frowned. “A lot of whiskey that I found in the kitchen. Then I woke up in bed. And yet oddly, I feel it was, in part, the best night I’ve had in a long time.”
“That’s good, Ro,” Remy replied. But he didn’t know what that meant for him or her. Even hung over Ororo was a puzzle he was no closer to solving. “That’s fine. A little drunkenness is good for the soul. Haha-excluding alcoholics.”
“No it isn’t, actually,” Ororo coolly responded. “Because I may yet feel it was the best in awhile, it was in fact empty. I know I’m changing Remy. I do not know who to and if I like this woman. I’m, I’m losing something. Like I’m leaking or…sinking. Of course, that could be the whiskey.”
She shrugged, “This is too philosophical for so early-”
Remy shook his head. Ororo loved to talk early and late at night. She was generally the rare 24/7 person.
“-and I have a Danger Room session to cancel. I shall see you later?”

Remy nodded and was glad she didn’t specify ‘later’ as she took her leave. He shook his head. Again he had a lot to think about and it was nothing a walk in the city could cure. Perhaps it was time to talk to Logan but the man might guess something.
Jubilee had warned them all against this, especially Shaewn, because Logan could be more paranoid than alien/government conspiracy theorists.
He walked to Bobby’s room unsure but determined to follow his sister’s example. Perhaps silent meditation, something that didn’t come naturally, would help. But he had his doubts.

A week later:

Logan roamed the halls of Charles Xavier’s School for the Gifted with a chip on his shoulder the size of a mack truck. Scott had said something in jest a few days earlier, laying his hand on the aforementioned shoulder, to only almost lose his hand and earn a growl that only dolphins could understand. Jubilee had try to joke about his grinding teeth and jutted jaw only to find she was the only person in the room unafraid to laugh. People pressed themselves against the wall as they passed by him and Logan occupied the center of the hallway. His anger took up a lot of palpable space like a fat shadow.

*Damn, the woman should have been an international spy or an assassin…she’s got the stealth and avoid skills. Fucking hell.*

For a week Logan had been looking for the right moment to talk to Ororo but with final exams finished she was a ghost on campus. He waited for her at her door nightly, making several casual passes by her attic room but she was nowhere. The rec rooms, the living rooms, dens, and her office: all places they had once made love, held a faint trace of her scent. He assumed she had to be out flying but she couldn’t be in the air always. He tried tracking her in the forest, an old favourite of theirs but the scent, even where they had first made love, was cold and covered in ice.

Meanwhile everyone else couldn’t stop whispering about how much attention the billionaire was fawning on her and her lukewarm response. Apparently this was a major jump compared to her blatant ignoring tactic. Rumors were flying about the state of the relationship and Ororo.
Logan couldn’t help eavesdropping on each one even if he’d wanted to stop himself. Of course where he placed in the situation didn’t escape notice either. Some claim made wilder and wilder claims from the billionaire was going to propose (Logan laughed at this one) to the one where a young girl swore she overheard Ororo talking to Jean about the connection between herself and Shaewn (This sobered him). It was difficult to smell out the truth because everyone believed they were telling the truth.

Speaking of his nephew, Logan couldn’t be more proud. Shaewn had taken his grounding in stride, never breaking his trust and even reaching out to Jackie to make peace on his own accord. His grades were amazing and he worked hard at them. Despite the grounding he was getting to be a popular student and some of his friends had even run a “Free Shaewn” campaign until Logan became too scary to approach. He often still saw a student here or there wearing a button on their bag or a poster on a long forgotten wall.
Shaewn had revealed to him over dinner once that he’d explored every section in the library and that was no lie. He’d even started volunteering at the library for something to do. Mr. Bloor had joked that he’d never seen anyone decorate a library with so much Christmas zeal and tactical planning. Apparently army hard hats, a drill, spot lights, forty recruitments, and several fire hazard inducing banners had been involved.

Logan tried the danger room again. Maybe she’d shown up for her session for once this week. At this point, her parents could return from the dead and it would be a good time. It meant he could tie her to some specific location.
When that failed, Scott shrugging and muttered something about irresponsibility for the week, Logan stomped his foot. Ororo apparently had no intention of showing up for any of her sessions for the week. Maybe she was sick and resting in her room? As he headed up, taking the stairs two at a time he felt a mental nudge.

*Logan, may I speak with you in my office?*

Logan felt sick but his first thought was maybe she was hurt, not badly, but enough for him to get her to stop and talk to him. This conversation had to be had and he was getting desperate. His stomach turned.

*What kind of man am I?*

He knew Chuck had probably heard all that but was polite enough to ignore it. So he asked anyway.

*No, no one is hurt. I just wish to speak with you. Its not an emergency but I can save you time: she’s not there. She’s nowhere you are looking. Please, Logan I wish to perhaps give you some advice, if you‘re willing, in regards to Shaewn.*

*Yeah, sure, no problem. Coming. But Chuck…I don’t really want her hurt.*

*I know. I’m in my office. You still take your coffee black?*

Charles deftly changed the subject until Logan got to his office. Charles noticed Logan refused to sit but paced the room. His impatience was an amoeba growing and infecting the space between them.
Charles pursed his lips but chose to say nothing. Unfortunately the only person who could get away with not talking about the elephant in the room with Logan was Ororo.

*And Chuck’s nice but he’s no Ro.*

“You know where she is.” It wasn’t a question.
“Yes, of course,” Charles sipped his drink and continued. “But I did not ask you to come here to discuss that. I hope that won’t make you adverse to what I have to say.”
“Give it yer best shot,” Logan allowed himself to say it with only the slightest of growls. He wanted to bellow Ororo’s name and demand she reveal herself but that wasn’t really happening. He’d do it… it would just never work. He shrugged at his thoughts and tried to pay attention.
“I asked you here about Shaewn. I understand he’s being grounded for the Jackie Surd situation. How long will that continue?”
“Til he rolls over,” Logan joked. His finger itched to light a cigar but he knew Charles would be cold first before that happened in his office. He smirked. He could wait for that day.
Charles let out a small smile. Perhaps he was following his thoughts or not… Logan couldn’t always decipher what made the old man tick.
“Naw, he’s got till the end of the month almost.”
“Do you know what month this is, Logan? What day?”
Logan rattled the date off without understanding the point of the question.
Charles smile widened and he explained the concept slowly.
“Occassionally I am called to mentor the hundreds of children attending my school. And I do so with relish and reservation. It is rewarding and yet for all their maturity they are mere high school students with a little extra added in.
I won’t tell you boys will be boys because that is unacceptable. It condones behaviour one knows will possible shape an individual’s future and immediate character. But I will tell you that youngsters will be youngsters. You may not remember it but you were much like them not so long ago. They fight, they hate and love each other in the next breathe. Its dizzying to watch and confusing for the most self assured parent. Shaewn has proven himself to be a responsible boy and a role model student. Honestly if I didn’t believe he has a lot of emotional scars to heal I wouldn’t hesitate to recommend him for several top universities and scholarship who are headhunting the boy right now myself. It would be a worthy investment that I genuinely know can’t fail.
And yet, it is December, the month of Christmas, and tonight is the White Charity Ball. I know you forgot, that’s why your suit is being delivered this afternoon. Hopefully this year you‘ll chose to take advantage of this option. Not that you don‘t always look…nice.”
Logan had to remember to pick his jaw up off the ground. Charles had a way sometimes of cutting to the heart of a matter. And he wasn’t finished yet.
“Shaewn has an enthusiasm for the season that he’s trying to repress because he knows you don’t allow him to participate. Frankly I believe its unfair. Jackie’s punishment ended a long time ago. This is something you’ll learn as you grow as a parent: a consequence should not exceed the deed. Now, I’ll never tell you what to do with your son, I mean nephew. But we all here are his family and will defend him as staunchly as necessary even from you, Logan. Also, if none of this sways your intentions please know he’s never known a real Christmas. You’ve grown used to our elaborate traditions; they are only beginning to fascinate him. And they are meant to. Here at the school…” Charles placed his cold coffee on his desk and folded his fingers underneath his chin, trying to buy time to find the right words. “We must do what we can to distract from the memories that haunt so many children…and adults here.”

By the time Logan left Charles’ office he hadn’t forgotten Ororo. She was this throbbing pain in his chest that had receded to the back of his mind like an old injury. He felt like a tool. He hadn’t heard a peep out of Shaewn in complaint. He wondered at that. Shaewn never complained and most everything pleased him in the extreme.
Of course the punishment was excessive. He made his way to his nephew’s room. Chuckling over Charles fake stumble and deciding he liked the way “son” sounded as he knocked on Shaewn’s door. After a minute he heard something being shoved underneath the bed before Shaewn opened the unlocked door.
“Its called freedom. You’ve suffered enough, ya learned your lesson and more. Go, go have fun,” Logan ordered him.
Shaewn did a happy dance in the doorway. He‘d never been invited to holiday events in most of his foster homes, often getting gifts without consideration for him but generic items that were also appropriate for some geriatric distant relative in a nursing home.
“AHHHH yes!!! Guess I can use this suit Mr. Xaxier sent me huh?” Suddenly he frowned. “I don’t have date.”
“Me neither. Ain’t the be all and end all of everything. Don’t worry, the first hour is boring as hell with all this announcement garbage and then the next half hour is couples dancing. Then the kids swarm the dance floor and ya might as well be back at the Cha Cha Chiro.” Logan paused before finding the right words for his question. “What do ya think I’m doing here? I mean, I ain’t trying to be an asshole. I’m just looking out for you…”
“You know, its weird,” Shaewn said casually. “I get a totally different impression from other people of who you are. Most of the time, you’re in control and know what you’re doing and sometimes I think, underneath it all, you just really want to make everyone happy. Even if that can’t happen, you’ll make it happen. That’s you. Then there’s the asshole guy who thinks he should be doing this or that, even if you think better. There’s a separation and the asshole really bugs me and everybody else. They don’t know that guy.
But the guy I know is, well, he’s pretty much my hero. And I think he should be himself because he lets me be myself, even when I make mistakes. Cuz you forgive those mistakes and make me learn from them. I don’t know, you just make caring about people not seem like such a waste of time. I guess I mean nope, you’re not an asshole. You’re just a regular guy, you know, who’s a parent doing his parental thing.”
“Well gee whiz kid. Thanks,” Logan grinned. The kid hated him for grounding him which was teenagers do when you ground them. And loved him when he got off. Charles was right, he was getting the hang of this.

* But only when I’m not doing my best Scott impression.*

Logan had his first genuine smile in a while as he walked away. There was something he needed to take care of.

Shaewn nodded and went to try on his suit before he realized that his uncle should have no idea what the Cha Cha looked like. He did another happy dance, straining the back of his pants which forced him to tone down his dance.

In Jubilee’s room:

“AHHH, I’m freaking out, man,” she panicked to herself. She was alone, denying herself the company of a gaggle of girls her age, to scare herself with a million ‘what ifs‘. It was important everything went according to plan. Remy had assured her Ororo would be present and Shaewn called her with great news and terrible news.
He told her that not only could he attend the Ball (GREAT!) but that Logan had indeed been at the Cha Cha Chiro (UGH.). Was she overdoing this step? She fretted. Also he couldn’t confirm anything besides Logan had his suit (TERRIBLE!).

Jubilee snorted at this. Every year Charles sent Logan a ‘monkey geddup’ and every year Logan showed up in jeans and a shirt. For some reason, Jean had been a colossal bitch about helping but she’d cooled that down. Rogue had picked a super sexy dress for Ororo and left it on her bed despite no one knowing where she was. Rogue seemed prepossessed in her sexified marathon glory but competent. Bobby was off somewhere chasing his perfect date that he couldn‘t stop bragging about.
Luckily, Jubilee was ready: her hair flat ironed to perfection, her knee length dress was black and hot pink with a corset, and her black leather converses were shined to perfection. But that couldn’t stop this girl worrying.

Everything was at such a critical stage. Jubilee ran her hand through her hair and grimaced. Her hands were so sweaty they were ruining her straightened hair. Sighing she decided maybe she should follow Rogue’s advice a little.

She went downstairs to wait at the bottom of the east foyer steps.
“Relax,” she whispered to herself again and again. When she heard footsteps, she looked up and tried to smile for her date‘s benefit. Then she did for real.
“Logan! You’re, you’re in,” Jubilee stammered, unable to describe the scene before her. Everyone who’d ever attended The White Charity Ball and wondered who the hairy, grumpy, and stumpy looking guy in the corner was doing there was going to lose their shit. “You! You! You‘re here! On time! You do know where you are right?”
“Yeah, yeah,” Logan released one of his slowest, most charming smiles and pulled out his cigar from his jacket pocket to chomp down on. “Don’t worry, it’s really me. I know I lost my mind for a little while back there.”
Jubilee gaped, unable to communicate speech patterns.
“But I’m back,” Logan’s grinned turned into something else. The atmosphere was one of both tension and release with the sun streaming cheerfully through the windows as it set and the beams reflecting off Logan’s bared teeth. He dropped a kiss on her forehead. “Now stop worrying about your date. You look great and if he doesn’t think so, I’ll take care of him.”
Logan sauntered off, leaving Jubilee behind with her fingers on her forehead.
She smiled, tears coming to her eyes from happiness, as she whispered. “He smiled. He really smiled!”

A few minutes later, Jubilee was still jumping up and down in excitement when Bobby came upon her. He grinned, secretly enjoying this moment, before he stopped smiling. He never thought he’d be thinking these thoughts or waiting to say these words. But here he was.
Looking over the past few weeks he realized no one else could have embroiled him in this hare brained scheme except this girl. He wondered how it had gone from childish flirtation to something deeper. When he gathered his courage to say what he’d only recently discovered he needed to say he began walking towards her.

“Omigosh,” Jubilee girlishly giggled as she ran up to him and threw her arms around Bobby’s neck. “You would not believe, believe, buh-lieve what just happened. What I saw. The second coming is upon us. Logan is fucking BACK. Fuck you 2012 cuz this is so much bigger…I mean, I‘m just saying.”
He stiffened for a second, in shock, before hugging her back tightly. With his nose firmly ensconced in her neck he listened to her babble about a suit. Finally he stepped back, took a deep breathe, and took the plunge. His hand, dominantly behind her neck, drew her closer to his lips. She was still talking but automatically her hands slipped and rested at his hips. His other hand drew her hips closer to his and they grinded together for a second, her voice fading and her eyes staring deeply into his, and they kissed. They kissed as if they had seconds to cherish each other.
Outside the windows the sunset bid them good night as it faded over the horizon, a final dip of red fading to navy blue. The lights in the hall had yet to be turned on. Mindlessly they felt their bodies press firmly once before separating in the dim, warm shadows.

Jubilee was the first to look away. Bobby felt a muscle in his jaw tighten and his heart went into high gear. It had been so right he’d forgotten to worry about the after affects. He assumed they’d go to the dance together and then, whatever happened between couples would happen. He swallowed and found something was caught in his throat.

“I, I have a date Bobby,” she said, quietly at first but it rose to a harsh accusation in those few, short words. “Why didn’t you think to ask me first if this is how you’re going to be?”
He opened his mouth and for once, no excuse came to mind.
“Yeah, uh huh, that’s what I thought. What do you think I’m going to do? Just drop him like a cold potato?” Jubilee shook her head. Throwing her next words over her shoulder as she left the foyer to meet her date at his room instead of waiting. “Try me again after the dance if I’m not already dating someone else.”

In Shaewn’s room:

“Fuck, fuck,” he said in between chuckles. It was hard to stop laughing at Russell Peter’s “Outsourced” CD even while he was depressed. Seriously, the problems never stopped he told himself. Despite Logan’s assurances and his own pep talk, he still thought a ball was the sort of thing one showed up to with a date in tow. The problem was everyone had a date. Every room extension he called was ringing into the machine or worse, delivered him rejection. Polite rejection, even regretful rejection from a few girls, but all of them had dates. He sighed and resigned himself to going alone. He was unusually anxious to socialize now that he was free to do so with the barriers of his grounding and his supposed ‘badass’ reputation gone.
Perhaps he’d meet someone there...

Quickly he finished doing his black tie, thankful he’d escaped a bow tie, gave himself a final glance in the mirror and dashed out the door.
At the ball several beautiful women were being escorted in by their dates and hired help was leading the way to seats. At the door, after waiting in a line for a half hour, he discovered he could have skipped the line from the doorman who examined his ticket.
“You go to the school, huh?” the burly man asked. Shaewn had been intimidated by scarier including his uncle.
“Yes sir,” he said. “Where do I go?”
“No student ever shows up early. None,” the doorman continued, his voice expressing doubt and he shifted in his jacket which clearly confined his massive chest. Behind Shaewn he heard the beginnings of grumbling although the gorilla looked in no hurry. Shaewn considered blowing past the guy but didn’t because it would be rude. Besides, who knew if this guy was a mutant and faster than he looked?
“Well just seat me next to someone close to my age,” Shaewn said and he spotted Scott. “Check my ticket, I’m with that guy, Mr. Summers. Can I be seated now?”
Somehow he knew using Logan’s name would have no affect. Scott’s did though as the gorilla immediately turned and chatted with an usher. The usher nodded gravely and motioned for Shaewn to follow him.
Minutes later he was deposited at a central table near the podium. The table decorations were sleek and expensive but not ostentatious. Xavier’s school had spared no expense and the room was filled with many rich looking people. Shaewn watched them all, fascinated, as they swooped by, oblivious to his existence. After ten minutes alone at the table however he became nervous. He wondered, as several people around him stared and whispered, whether he was at the wrong table. After observing the other tables from his perch he realized each table proudly announced the amount of donations each table was collectively responsible for. His table’s placard had too many zeros to count and he saw Worthington’s name on the list.
Worthington was someone he had been briefly introduced to but hadn’t really ever had a chance to sit and talk with. He was nervous to thank him for everything in front of all of his economically unchallenged friends. And Shaewn also realized he too was being watched but for a different reason. There weren’t that many billionaires in the world and they must be wondering how come they’d never met him before. His leg began to shake nervously.

Seconds after this thought process an usher unceremoniously dropped off a green haired nymph. Shaewn tried not to let his jaw drop. A curvy girl draped in furs and a slinky red ball gown that cupped her generous breasts firmly before flouncing behind her. She was carrying a small leather purse with a silver clutch. Her hair was messy and curly as if she couldn’t be bothered to put it up. Or brush it. Or look in a mirror at.
“Ahem,” she said as an introduction, her accent slightly foreign though Shaewn had no idea how to place it. At Xavier’s he’d been introduced to a veritable UN of different races, mutantcy, cultures and customs but he hadn’t come across anything quite like this. Not yet.
“Hi,” he said lamely.
“Hello…so, not to be rude, but well, actually yes this is rude but necessary: who the hell are you?”
He shrugged. “I’m just Shaewn. I think I’m in the wrong spot.”
She narrowed her green eyes. He couldn’t look away, they were a hypnotizing shade of jade and amber- cat eyes. Shrewd and slightly mocking. “So you’re not a silver spoon baby.”
She wasn’t asking him. He shook his head.
She laughed,” Thank god, someone to finally talk to! You wouldn’t believe the dumb things rich people say. You have to stay and laugh with me. By the way, I’m Chora. Yes I know it’s a dumb name-”
“I don’t think its dumb. Its your name. It‘s beautiful.”
“Yeah well, ahem, my parents were going for unique. Anyway, check out the Chicago Borden’s! You know they wear those dumb feather hats all the time. I see they’re wearing it now, trying to fool people into thinking it’s a special occasion thing but they wear it, like in the house like to the bathroom and everything. You are not at the races and you are not British Mrs. Borden-give it up!”
Shaewn laughed. This girl was obviously crazy. But that didn’t have to stop him enjoying himself. Chora entertained him for the next hour by describing the quirks of every person at a table within hearing shot and on the podium. Although he was having a good time with Chora he had yet to see anyone he really knew including his uncle or the focus of his uncle’s problematic love life.

Ten seconds later everyone in the room swallowed their tongue. Women slapped their husbands, some slapping girlfriends, men pointing as a ripple of awareness washed over the large room.

Ororo had made her entrance.

Chora even had no smart remark to make and took a moment to collect to herself.
“Wow, no wonder,” she finally breathed.
“Huh?”
She pointed to where Ororo had stopped in front of a man, obviously awed, and was now talking to.
“That lucky bastard is my brother Brent. Can he make money? Yes. Can he lose women? YOU BETCHA. That lady over there hates him after his embarrassing drunken breakdown but for some mysterious reason has decided to give him a second chance. He’s speaking to her, possible flirting, and she’s not throwing something at him but by God, I hope he’s not screwing it up. I suspect he will though. Pathetic lil bastard.”

Ororo’s skin glowed in the dim light as she smiled at something Brent said. He amused her but it was a concentrated effort. Everything about this situation: the people, the clothing, the stuffy dry heater, it all felt fake to her after her actions earlier today.
She’d spent hours today blending in with the elements on her roof, taking turns with meditation, yoga, and tai chi. This was becoming her habit for the week when she was blowing off all of her responsibilities that she was tied to. Or she flew above the world and people she loved, drifting on errant winds. She barely slept but her eyes were bright and her spirit borrowed some energy from the world that surrounded her outside.
Later she could collapse but right now she was just showing her face at the event she had helped meticulously plan but could not enjoy. Her dress was a skin tight remake of the classic little black dress that Audrey Hepburn made famous in Breakfast at Tiffany’s but in white and her feet clad in dainty coral stiletto sandals. She had on no jewellery except two tiny sworls of diamond studs Charles had given her as Christmas present of past. Ororo went without make-up but her features beautifully contrasted with the low light and Brent stared at her in reserved awe.
Fifteen minutes after the speeches finished, Ororo had sauntered into the room- drawing stares of appreciation with every movement of her hips and flick of her hair. For a moment she was glad she had Brent to focus on or she might have made a less dramatic entrance when she failed to find somewhere to direct herself. She greeted him pleasantly, and if she felt a little robotic he seemed pleased. Also he was calm and in control of his powers which she was grateful for.
Her extreme mini retreat to her home amongst the elements had really opened her mind and she had begun to see that not only was she learning to play the games of the heart but she was being played.
Logan chose to leave her and on his return she couldn’t forget such an act despite the fact that he was unsure of its wisdom on his return. The way he’d left had hurt her deeply. She wore scars on her heart now that she’d allow no one to see as they had with Forge. And her heart had shrivelled slightly as it drew itself near, building defences to prevent such hurt again. And although many had deemed her cold, Ororo had always been generous and passionate. Only now, when no one recognized it, had she become truly cold.
Shaking her head and sipping from the wine glass Brent had eagerly fetched for her she tried to focus on what he was telling her. He was actually discussing some interesting points about the art market in New York, a secret passion of Ororo’s. It was how she had fully recovered from her claustrophobia, by exploring thousands of the hole in the wall galleries in the city.

* Who could fear the dark with such beauty at the end of the tunnel?*

She smiled, genuinely, and she ignored the fact that Brent’s arm twitched and some of his wine spilled on to his cuff. There was hope after the lust, the elation, and the devastation. There could be hope for a better tomorrow, a better her, and better days after that. Even without Logan.

Especially without Logan.




On the mansion’s front porch:

Logan finished his cigar and threw it in a bush. For the first time in months, he didn’t consider whether the bush might go up in flames or the environment was going to get up and attack. For the last couple of months, and weeks, and days he’d been freaking out.
He supposed it was the craziness of being in love and gaining the a little (Big) bundle of joy- it threw him off his stride. His whole life, from what he could remember, he’d known how to act around others. He might not have been right but nothing had ever mattered enough to make him worry about the consequences. Caring in this extreme had sort of made him crazy. He watched the embers fade away on the greenery.

Time for the nutzo him to fade away too, he thought.

He turned his head as he heard Jean approach and her audible gasp. He smelled a nervousness that came from guilt but also joy. And the usual savage lust.
He guessed she felt bad about the way she felt but he understood now, more than ever, that a person couldn’t control themselves. She wanted his body but he knew she needed Scott’s mind.
“Logan, you look so handsome,” she said simply. He smiled and she blushed.
He’d never bothered with the suit before, never had a reason. Now he had competition, all the odds stacked against him, and he grinned.

*This should be fun.*

He walked towards her, casually unaware of exactly what her words meant as she babbled but anxious for Ororo to have the same feeling: the guilt of loneliness and desire, the nervous touch, but also the joy of it.

Jean had never imagined Logan would ever be in a suit. Or look this good outside of his natural clothing set. His broad chest and muscular arms were well defined by the slightly too tight jacket but his shirt fit like a dream. His tie emphasized the length of his throat, strong jaw, his undainty nose; and the intense color of his eyes vibrated against the smoothness of black and white. A vein near his jugular throbbed and Jean felt the moist spot in between her legs throb with it. Sometimes a man could look too good. When he stood directly before Jean she let her hands drift over his shoulders for a few seconds before he grasped them in his own. She gasped, the unexpected touch very welcome, even more welcomed by the fact that she knew he knew he was arousing her. He had to know.
She knew she should feel guilty about sabotaging Jubilee’s plans and about Ororo but …the fact was she barely even knew the woman anymore. Ever since she’d gotten married she felt herself drifting farther and farther away from all the friends she’d once known so well. She had used to feel something when she thought on memories of the past. Now it was like looking at the movie reels of somebody else’s life. Jean didn’t dwell on this instead focusing on the soft massage Logan was giving her fingertips with his own stronger ones. There was sweat from the heat, the attraction, or the danger of someone walking in on them being so close- Jean didn’t know. She couldn’t even tell whose hand the sweat was coming from.

“Come on,” Logan said but Jean barely heard him. She heard the deep, rumbling voice that rocked through her body and turned up her nipples. But the intent of the voice was lost on her. “Let me walk you in.”
Dumbly she nodded.

Moments later they were having the ballroom doors opened for them by a burly doorman who gave Logan a strange look, a moments recognition, that soon faded. When they were in the dark room, the speeches and pontifying complete, they could see a few people out on the dance floor. It was gathering more and more couples slow dancing by the minute. Logan spared a glance for Jean.
“Gonna go look for my nephew. Maybe he’s here. I think I see Scott over there sooooo yeah, bye. Good walkin’ with ya,” he joked before abruptly setting off to find Ororo.
Her scent was in the air but there were hundreds of people in the room. Hundreds of feet and scents had mingled with hers, diluting the strength. He set off on his hunt in the most respectable jungle he’d encountered yet. To make matters worse, the doors opened to let in a new wave of hundreds of kids dressed in their formal best, each doused in perfumes and colognes.

Jean, disappointed, walked away to where she knew her husband would be: the head table. She could see him still discussing fundraising budgets and allocations with a short bald man who looked like the sort of man who spent other people’s money while being paid a lot of money.
As she got closer she could see the shape shifter speaking to Ororo. Ororo looked mildly bored but her mental aura glowed. That was the result of self confidence and contentment. Jean wondered what could have caused the change. She wondered what the source might be and how she could get her hands on some of it.
Scott turned briefly towards and smiled as he put his hand around her waist to draw her closer. She knew he was pushing the smile. She hoped she wasn’t again the cause of his strain but she felt it in their mind link.
In the distance she saw Rogue and Remy, looking ridiculously sexier than most, approach Ororo. The kids came rushing in as they did every year but the music remained slow. Pietro and his girlfriend from home were talking in a corner. Jean raised an eyebrow. To the undiscerning eye, the talk seemed calm but there was an animosity in their auras that told the truth.
Betsy momentarily caught her eye while kissing Warren but it lasted only a second, something only telepaths would notice…Jean looked away first and she felt Betsy’s satisfaction. McKoy and Browning, an old military friend of Logan’s, were talking at a table, clearing space to make hasty napkin diagrams. She tried to stop smiling, the attraction in the air was clear from here.

Distracted she didn’t notice Scott end his conversation with the bald money grubber.
“I hope I didn’t fail to mention you look wonderful, dearest,” he whispered in her ear. Through the connection she could feel his trepidation. She kissed him to ease his nervousness.
“Only for you,” she lied before firmly putting away other thoughts.
He laughed, “Good, I was worried.”
Scott moved them toward the group surrounding Ororo and Brent. As they got closer he whispered, “They make a cute couple, huh? I didn’t know they were still seeing each other. Ororo looks happy, maybe this guy just made a bad first impression.”
Jean nodded. This gave her an idea.
“Nah, really?” Rogue exclaimed as Jean and Scott came close. “You really go on vacation every Christmas? Ain’t that lonely?”
Remy nudged her. “Must be exciting, tho.”
Brent shrugged. “It has been fun, my younger sister comes if she‘s not skiing with friends…Oh hello, I don’t believe we’ve met.”
Jean smiled. “But you have met my husband,” Brent blushed. “I’m Jean.”
Brent smiled politely and nodded, “A pleasure.”
“Brent was just telling us about how he goes to dese amazing places every year to celebrate Christmas. Ah tell you dis: even though you got money you know how to celebrate life. Dese be adventures, oui?” Remy said. He was curious about this guy, he seemed nice, but he felt bad because he knew what he had to do.
Ororo glanced at Remy, also with curiosity, as she wondered what he was trying to say. Did he think Brent valued money over family? She wondered what his meaning was. She listened as Brent answered.
“Hmm, not really. It’s a tradition of my parents, before they passed on, and my sister and I like to continue it. Even if she’s with friends skiing, she’ll go off piste or something new to celebrate the end of a year and welcome the new. This year I may try something I’ve never done: go to a tourist spot on holiday. Usually its volunteering for one of my father’s many charitable set ups: from office work to shelters in different countries or even here in the States. And the work is rarely easy but its more satisfying than multiplying stock dividends,” Brent chuckled and looked at Ororo. “This year I’ll learn how to relax. I think I should.”
Scott nodded, “Who couldn’t use that? Mind whisking me away too?”
Jean cackled and Rogue covered a shocked open mouth with her hand.
After she was finished, Jean coughed and quieted down.
“Sorry Brent,” she explained as Remy gave her a look that questioned her sanity. “The irony was just too much. Its just that Ororo can be really so awful at relaxing. She always works for the school, she has so much dedication, don’t you Ororo? It sounds like she ought to take a leaf out of your book. Forget Scott, you should take Ororo.”
Everyone uncomfortably tried to find a way to continue the conversation.
“Hmm,” Brent said finally. “Hmm, why don’t Ororo and I start by maybe having a dance?”
Ororo raised her brow. She was trying to understand why everyone she knew had gone stark mad in terms of basic socializing except for herself. Before she could answer Brent’s question, Remy smoothly interrupted.
“Ah, ah sorry mon amie but uh, Remy like the first dance wit his padnat. The next one be all yours,” Remy grabbed her wineglass from her hand and put it on the table. With her free hand he took her out to the floor that was packed with slow dancing millionaires, billionaires, teachers, and students.

Rogue shrugged. “Mind getting second choice?”
Brent grinned, “You? Second choice? Never!”
Rogue looked over her shoulder at Jean. The girl was crazy, she decided. Absofuckinglutely nuts.
Brent and Rogue began to dance when Rogue caught Jubilee’s eye. The girl was dancing with a pimpled boy in an odd fitting suit but was mostly trying to indicate something to Rogue via hand signals over her dance partner’s shoulder. When Rogue understood she began to feel bad for Brent, who turned out to be a nervy but friendly geek at worst. And she also decided to never get in Jubilee’s way because the girl meant war.
Slowly she started to tread on Brent’s shoe using her strength incrementally higher and higher. Wincing and apologizing they made it through two songs before Brent politely limped off the dance floor with Rogue behind him repeating, “Sorry! Sorry!” as she helped him to a seat facing away from the dance floor.
“It’s okay,” Brent said as his face reddened. “If I was smarter I would have shaped my feet into something more durable…but then I might have lost control again.”
Rogue helped him put his feet up and sat next to him, prepared to babysit him for the rest of the night.
“Can ah ask a delicate question?”
Brent nodded, “Sure I’m an open but embarrassing book. Open at your own peril.”
“How come you never got any training?”
He sighed. “Well, actually I did. My parents pulled out the best for me. In fact they were disappointed to find my sister wasn’t a mutant. She’s just weird all on her own. I’m just really bad at putting it to use when I, I get nervous or something.”
Rogue patted his shoulder. “Ah see now.”

Remy was only dancing with Ororo for a few seconds before she started to giggle.
“Wha‘?” he asked her, very seriously.
She shook her head, “What exactly are you up to?”
“Nuthin. Can’t a padnat wanna dance wit his soeur?”
“Hmm and this has nothing to do with your scheme does-” Ororo never finished her sentence.

Behind Remy was Logan. He watched her intensely, smiling but not quite smiling with his lips instead with his eyes, and waiting patiently. She smiled and Remy turned to look at what had caused her to stop her interrogation.
He thought he might have a coronary attack.
“Logan, you be in a suit.”
“Yup.”
“Dis must be what your underwear in a crowd dream are like, non?”
“Scat, swamp rat,” Logan laughingly ordered.
Remy bowed gracefully away from his friend but not before kissing her cheek. She barely noticed.

Ororo cocked her head, folding her arms over her chest, and gave him a questioning look. Logan took her hip in one hand, his fingers brushing her firm bum, and pulled her other hand into his. Immediately she rested her chin in the crook between his thick neck and shoulder and he inhaled her scent.
After a few blissful moments Logan spoke.
“We left things kinda cold last time we were this close.”
Ororo didn’t answer but he knew she heard him.
“I left you cold actually.”
She raised her head. “Logan-”
He gulped as he got a full blast of her eyes, a face he missed etching the details of while she slept, and continued, “Don’t damn well ‘Logan’ me. I was wrong by that. Ya didn’t know if I was coming or going in this. And more importantly, I’m sure as hell sorry. Ororo Munroe, I apologize.”
She stared at him as they swayed to the music. She was thinking and he wondered, not for the first time, what exactly those thoughts were.
“I do believe I can forgive you. I didn’t fight very hard did I?”
“Just you trying to do the right thing.” They kept dancing, ignoring looks they were getting from students and teachers in the know. For those who didn’t know, they appeared to be a regular couple, beautiful and in love. Logan chuckled, “Proly the only thing on earth that could stop you is the idea of hurting someone you…who loves you.”
Ororo laughed as well.
“Logan?”
“Yeah?”
Ororo smiled into his shoulder. “I still practice the Tai Chi you taught me.”
Logan grinned and brought her closer. “Good,” he managed to say.
“Perhaps we could practice again together?” Ororo‘s voice was muffled as he drew her to him.
“I’m there every morning,” he lied. He wasn’t but he would be from now on. “Join me anytime.”
“Also you look very good in a suit.”
He laughed, a full-on, head-thrown-back laugh. Three student couples jumped in surprise and Ororo giggled behind her hand.
“Thanks, you look pretty damn good too.”
She nodded, “Thank you. Where is Shaewn?”
“He found himself a date, I think. Any other questions?”
Slowly Ororo trailed her fingers up his muscled sides to wind them behind his neck. He shivered against her and she laughed.
“Hmm, one more I think,” she said, smiling slowly.
Logan let his forehead touch hers. “Ask me anything.”
“What are you getting me for Christmas?” she teased.
He chuckled, “Isn’t obvious?”
“And now you are teasing me,” Ororo pretended to be upset and spin away but Logan’s grip was too tight.
“Tell me,” she demanded, her sneaky smile promising him a sinful treat if he answered correctly. Every part of her lower body was pressed against the man that only a few short months ago she’d made delicious love to and then broken her entire heart.
“Aw darling, you get whatever your heart wants and that‘s a promise,” he said as the music faded away and returned as a popular club banger. Hundreds of kids now swarmed the dance floor bumping and grinding. Despite even Logan’s best effort, too many students loved to be around Ororo, and he was separated from her. Ororo tried to follow him but she couldn’t, the kids drawing in closer and closer. Finally she managed to push her way out and the first person she saw was an upset looking Jean.
Concentrating on breathing deeply, she stood beside her friend for a few minutes to catch her breathe before going to look for Logan.

Jean spared a glance for Ororo before going back to her own thoughts. She didn’t hear Ororo the first time she spoke.
“Jean are you alright? I said, isn’t this exciting?” Ororo said louder.
Jean looked at her blankly.
“Logan and I, we might, oh I don’t know,” Ororo laughed, her palm pressed to her forehead in shock. “It sounds juvenile but I believe we may be reconciling! Isn’t that exciting?”
Jean shook her head no. “I’m sorry, Ororo but I’ve known the two of you for a long time. And Brent is here and willing to start something real with you. I mean I thought, I just don’t want you to get your hopes up again and what happened before, happens again: he breaks your heart. Maybe its just hormones…I mean, I can’t blame you. Logan looked good tonight, didn’t he?”
Ororo tried to give this serious thought. “He does but that isn’t why-”
“He does and you do and its natural you want to engage those emotions in some physical and concrete way but…you have to consider how full the day to day life of Logan is now. Shaewn is hiding it but I sense a great void inside him that only Logan can fill. Is it best for his…attention to be split?” Jean asked her question so softly and yet Ororo’s surety was crumbling against the assault.

*Of course I haven’t thought about how this might affect Shaewn. How selfish of me!*

“I believe the whole family is helping this young man to rebuild his life,” Ororo put up her hand to stop Jean but the redhead continued anyway.
“When you’re his father figure’s friend, of course you can help, but you know how kids are! As his lover, the change could bring irrevocable damage. Brent is…uncomplicated and he cares for you. You should try to accept him in your life instead of chasing old dreams. But Ororo, I would never, ever, tell you what to do.”
“This is why I must go and collect my thoughts as I have done before,” Ororo paused as she made to walk away from Jean. Finally she turned to look over her shoulder to speak in her own defence. “You know that I never came here tonight with any intentions with Logan? I would never intentionally hurt anyone that way…I shall go make my excuses to Charles.”
Jean smirked as she watched Ororo bend over to speak in Charles ear. Brent was hobbling close behind her.
*Soon Ororo could bend over for Brent and Logan will be mine to do as I pleased with. And that game would be even more fun than this one.*

Quickly Jean walked away to find Logan and get him to dance with her. But she’d only let him dance once…he wasn’t allowed to get too excited.

In the foyer:

“Ororo please wait,” Brent called. The beautiful woman of his dreams only walked faster. He couldn’t help noticing her long legs extended by the fit of her dress and the gorgeous pumps artfully wrapped around her ankles. “Ororo!”
He shouted for her but as he reached the still open door and hanging to the frame he could see she was gone. All that remained was a prick light of a white darting spot in the sky reflecting the moonlight. And a shoe tumbling through the air from the force of her take off. Sighing he closed the door and hobbled to his limo, the night essentially over for him.

Much later on that night:

Logan stalked into the garage prepared to take another long jog. He’d dumped the monkey geddup hours ago when he realized he didn’t need it anymore. The comfort of jogging pants and his own bare chest just couldn’t be beat.
He heard the sobs before he saw the girl. Frowning he approached, wondering who would dare think coming to his sanctuary would be a good idea for comfort.
Slamming the door open he was shocked to find the slim girl there.
“Hmm, break somethin’?” he asked. He figured he ought to start gently with her but still gave his bikes and cars a once over.
Kitty shook her head and wiped her nose with her wrist. He knew it was serious when she couldn’t joke about it.
“Then what’s the matter?” Logan as he perched himself on the wooden bench. He wondered to himself if she knew her dress was ruined by the oil on the bench but he kept silent in order to wait and listen. It took fifteen minutes for her to calm down enough to speak.
“I figured you’d be with Ms. Monroe,” she said finally. “Being all lovey dovey like on the dance floor.”
He shrugged. “But I ain’t. She’s with somebody else.”
“The person I’m in love with is off with somebody else too,” she sighed. “Funny but I thought being smart and funny and…I thought that meant something.”
“Like what? You win the lottery? Doesn’t work that way and you’re smart enough to know it.”
“No not that way. I thought it meant that the people who you want to like you can see all those good qualities. But instead…Pietro has this stupid girlfriend he barely sees and fights with all the time and I really like him. And I know he likes me. But will he break up with her? Noooo. Its like she has one thing in common with him: being Russian. Is he like against Jewish people or something? Like just urrrggghhhh.”
Logan waited until he felt he could talk without laughing.
“Sounds a lot like my situation.”
Kitty’s expression told him she didn’t believe him.
“Ororo and I fight a lot.”
“But you two are in love. You’re adults and have to work stuff out.”
“Not really. She’s got options. Like tonight I watched her leave with that guy, whatshisname, and there ain’t piss shit I can do about it,” he clarified for the child. “She and him? Nuthin’ to do with what she and I had. And maybe I want her to break up with him. But I can never make her do it…well, not if I want to live to see the next morning. Ro‘s got a temper on her.”
Kitty bit her lip. “Pietro wouldn’t be happy if I pressure him to leave his girlfriend either. But crap! That doesn’t make me anymore patient. I don’t wanna wait for him to figure out I‘m a good thing.”
Logan struck up a match and lit his cigar. Kitty faked wrinkling her nose but inside she liked the smell. It reminded her of her own father at Hannukah- the only time Mom let him smoke in the house.
“Girlfriend proly can’t wait for you to piss off either so that makes two.”
Kitty sighed and ruffled her own hair. “Logan this is great and everything but I bet you’re not just sitting around waiting for Ororo to make up her mind. We’re more proactive types than that.”
“So what’s the plan?”
“Wait for that bitch to really screw up and then show her up. You know what Aunt Ro always says: kill ‘em with kindness!”
Logan tried not to react but that was a part of his own plan. Kitty laughed so Logan gave up and joined her.
“Yeah that might work.” He gave her his trademark smirk before shooing her off to bed.
Kitty put her hand on her hip, “You don’t really think I’m going to bed because Prince Charming isn’t around, do you?”
“Nope,” Logan sucked a little on his cigar, letting out the smoke through his nostrils, before clamping it to the side of his mouth. “But you should proly change your dress.”
Kitty turned around and screeched. “This was fucking three hundred dollars and you couldn’t have said something? Sooner? ARRRGGGGHHHH the stain has probably built nests in the silk fabric. SiLK!!!! Are you kidding me?”
This story archived at http://https://rolorealm.com/viewstory.php?sid=2802