Xavier Institute
Boathouse

“This really is ‘put hair on yer balls’ steak, isn’t it,” Ali asked rhetorically, downing half a glass of water after taking too big of a bite of the spicy meat.
“Toldya.” Jubilee grinned, aggressively forking the dead cow on her plate.
Wolverine grunted, cutting his steak. He caught Ali staring at him and lifted his head. “What?”
“I dunno. You’re using a steak knife. I just kinda thought you’d, y’know -snikt- your food.”
Wolverine chuckled taking a swig of his beer. “Believe it or not, Alison, I know how to use utensils.”
“Yeah, he’s getting better everyday,” Jubilee confirmed. “He only needs a bib occasionally.”
“Funny, munchkin,” Wolverine growled.
Jubilee grinned squishing her mashed potatoes through her teeth.
“Jubilee.” Wolverine grimaced making her giggle.
She tilted her head towards Ali, waving her fork in Wolverine‘s general direction. “The man can watch his own flesh peeled back and regenerate, but can’t stomach mushed taters. Go figure.” The three of them were seated around the kitchen table, a candle centerpiece glowing, filling the rustic boathouse with the scent of baked apple pie, one of ‘Ro’s favorites.
Suddenly Wolverine lifted his head, rising from his chair and practically running to the door. He yanked it open before the person on the other side had a chance to touch the handle.
“Logan.” Ororo stood on the opposite side, looking every inch like she’d been buried under a ton of rubble, leaning heavily against Nightcrawler. Kurt nodded to Wolverine, passing Ororo between them.
“Jean gave her a sedative to help her sleep,” Kurt explained noticing Wolverine’s worried expression. “She’s fine, just tired.”
“I can talk, Kurt,” Ororo said, slightly slurred, with a friendly ruffle of dark blue hair.
“Hiya, Kurt!” Jubilee called from the kitchen, practically kneeling on her chair and craning her neck to get a look at him. She waved madly.
“Good evening, Ladies.” Kurt smiled, white flashing against blue. “I believe Gambit is looking for you, Alison.”
Ali gave a nod but said nothing. She’d have to face him eventually, just not this second. Not when she could picture herself driving her steak knife deep in his gut and spilling small intestines onto the floor.
“Thanks, Elf.” Wolverine said. “If you wouldn’t mind, don’t mention that you saw Alison down here.”
Kurt looked confused but nodded his acquiesce. “Well, I guess I’ll be on my way. Gute Nacht.”
“Night.” Logan shut the door as Kurt bamfed away.
Ali and Jubilee greeted Storm.
Ororo smiled in greeting, but it was clear she was ready to fall on her face she was so tired.
“You put Storm to bed, Wolverine, we’ll handle the clean up,” Ali said.
“Naw, you two relax. I’ll take care of it later.” He lifted Ororo into his arms. She snuggled against him, already half asleep. “Jubes can show you the spare room, Alison. Make yerself at home.”
Ali nodded. “G’night.”
Wolverine carried Storm upstairs. After a few minutes Ali began to clear the table, needing to do something, anything to keep herself busy.
“So…?” Jubilee prompted.
“So, what?” Ali asked scraping the last of her potatoes into the trash.
“So, what happened with you and tall, dark and drool worthy?”
Ali flinched, thinking how close that description was to the one she gave Storm upon first seeing Gambit. “Nothing.”
“Riiiight.” Jubilee opened a pack of gum, slipping a piece into her mouth, chewing thoughtfully. She picked up her plate, following Alison into the kitchen. They took care of the leftovers, washed the dishes and cleaned up the table, all with Jubilee talking away. Ali was thankful for the distraction, and even more thankful to Wolverine for giving her a place to stay. She knew eventually Remy would come to the boathouse, if not looking for her, he’d show up to see Storm.
Jubilee was still yakking as Ali knotted the garbage. “So, I hear you used to be a singer?”
“Once upon a time.”
“Were you any good?”
Ali smirked. “I thought so.”
“What kinda music?”
“Loud.”
“Uh-huh.” Jubilee put the last plate away “You want me to leave you alone?”
Ali was silent. Alone. No, she didn’t want to be alone. Alone meant she’d have to face it. “I--”
Knock. Knock.
Ali turned her head towards the door.
“Ali? You in der?”
At the sound of his voice everything flooded back. The rage, the hurt, the pain, the love, and the sting of betrayal. Jubilee stepped forward. “You want me to tell him to go fu-”
“Jubilee.” Wolverine’s warning growl stopped her. He padded down the stairs barefoot and bare chested. “Ali?” He waited for her to say something.
“I-I can’t,” she whispered.
Wolverine nodded. “I’ll take care of it.” He waited until Jubilee and Alison disappeared down the hall, the door to the guest room closing before he opened the front door. “Gumbo.”
“Wolverine.” Gambit looked past his shoulder. “Is Ali ‘ere?”
“Call it a night, friend.” was all Wolverine said.
Gambit glowered at him. “I need t’ see ‘er.”
A feral gleam entered Wolverine’s eyes. “Not tonight.”
“No offense, mon frere, but fuck you. You’d wan’ t’ see Stormy.” He stepped forward.
Wolverine placed a restraining hand on his shoulder. “The difference being I wouldn’t fuck around on Storm. Now, are ya gonna leave, or do I have at tell Storm I opened her brother from stem at stern?”
“Wolverine.” Gambit looked agitated. “Let me see ‘er.”
“Look, Gumbo. Yer Storm’s family, that gives ya a little bit o’ leeway, but don’t push it.” Wolverine shoved him onto the porch, closing the door as he followed him out. “Now leave.”
Gambit’s eyes glowed red. “I ain’t leavin’ till I talk t’ Ali.”
-SNIKT-
“Stop.” Ali opened the door. “Thanks, Wolves, but I got this.”
He didn‘t budge. “Ya sure?”
“Yeah.” Ali’s eyes never left Gambit’s face.
Wolverine retracted. “I’m right upstairs.”
Ali kissed his cheek as he passed her. She stood silent, arms crossed over her chest, waiting.
“Ali--”
CRACK! A fierce right hook caught Gambit in the jaw. He staggered back, holding his mouth.
“Ali, please,” he said softly.
“Please what, Gambit? Stand here like a fool while you try and charm me into forgetting what I saw? What you DID!”
“Ali,” he stepped towards her, beseeching.
She recoiled from him. “Don’t you dare touch me!” she hissed as he reached for her.
Gambit’s fingers curled in on themselves. “Ali.” his voice broke.
“Deny it!” she said angrily. “Tell me it isn’t true, Gambit. Tell me it’s a hoax, a joke, a cruel fucking prank! Tell me! Tell me you didn’t fuck her!” Her voice shook with rage.
Gambit’s eyes flashed, reflecting the moisture building there. “I…I can’t.”
Ali turned away from him, her dark head bent. “Then we have nothing left to say to each other,” she whispered.
“Ali, non. I love you.”
“Don’t.” She turned on him, a look of disgust on her face. “Don’t say those words to me. You have no right. You don’t love me, Gambit. Stop lying to me.”
“It ain’t a lie, bella. I love you.”
“Stop.” She held up her hand, his words tearing at her. “Just stop.” She gave him a cold stare. “It’s done. We’re over.”
“No. Ali please,” Gambit knelt in front of her, wrapping his arms around her waist, pulling her to him, pressing his face into her stomach. “Please. I‘m begging, petite. Don‘ leave me.”
Ali bit her lip, her hands clenching into tight fists to keep from burying her fingers in his thick locks. She would die before he saw how hurt she was. “Let go of me.”
“Never.”
“Now.” She was firm.
“I’m sorry. I can’t let you go.” Gambit pulled her tighter and Ali could feel his tears through her tee shirt. “I need you, Ali. I can’t let go.”
“You can, and you will,” she said, her knee coming up and catching him under his chin. She kicked him away from her. Gambit looked up at her from his back, hurt in his devil eyes. She gave him a cold smile. “I should be careful, apparently this is foreplay for you.”
To his credit he winced.
“Leave, Gambit. I don’t want you here.” She opened the door. “I’ll send someone to get my stuff tomorrow.” She closed the door.
Gambit slowly rose to his feet, pressing his hand to the dark wood. “Ali,” he said with a soft sound of distress, uncaring of the tears running down his face.
On the opposite side of the door Ali slid to the floor, her sobs low and mournful. Suddenly she was surrounded by arms. Jubilee pressed her head onto her shoulder, and Wolverine clasped her other shoulder in one large hand and Storm, groggy but awake, held her the tightest. No one spoke, no one moved. The four of them sat that way for a long time, until Ali finally shook her head and said, “I think I got boogers in your chest hair, Wolverine.”

Morning

Storm strolled onto the dock behind her and Logan’s house, heading for the lone figure at the end. Alison had already left the house by the time she had awakened and Logan told her she had been up at dawn.
Ali turned as she heard the clap of Storm’s sandals against the wood of the dock. “Storm.” She glanced at the items in Storm’s hands.
“I thought you could use these.” Ororo held up Alison’s guitar and amp.
Ali smiled slightly. “I think I need more than that,” she drawled.
Storm nodded. “Oh, I know. That’s why you, me and the Bacardi boys have a date tonight.”
Ali cocked her head. “Are you asking me out?”
“Ya betchyer sweet ass.”
“It’s creepy how well you do that.”
Ororo grinned. “All I need is a cocky swagger and a cigar, and I‘ve got it nailed.” Ororo set the amp on the dock, flicking the extension cord to get rid of the kinks. She leaned the guitar on the side. “Want to talk about it?”
Ali shrugged. “He’s your brother, I don’t want to come between that.”
“You won’t. He’s my brother and you are my best friend, my sister. I will continue to love you both no matter what. So, tell me. What’s that idiot gone and done?”
“Betsy.”
Storm was silent. Then, “That stupid fuck.”
Ali was surprised. She rarely heard Storm swear, and never with such cold intensity.
Storm gave her a heartfelt look. “I’m so sorry.”
Ali tried to act nonchalant. “Eh, shit happens.”
“Ali, you don’t have to pretend with me.”
“I know, Storm. But I’m barely keeping’ my shit together,” Ali felt her throat close. “I can’t dwell on the maybes or the whys. It happened. It’s done. Game over. Do not pass go, do not collect two hundred dollars, finito, asta--”
“I get it.” Storm kicked off her sandals.
Ali sighed. She picked up her guitar, slinging the strap over her shoulder. Strom sat, dangling her legs over the edge of the dock, her toes skimming the water.
“I have training with Betsy today,” Storm said after a moment. “Want me to plant her ass?”
Ali laughed. “As much as I want to say yes, I have to say no. She didn’t owe me any loyalty, Storm. Gambit did.”
“You’re wrong. We’re a team. Loyalty and trust are the foundations we need to build on. If we don’t have those, we’re useless.” Ororo glanced back at the house where she spotted Logan stepping out onto the porch, morning coffee and beer in hand. She grinned, Goddess, she loved him, even his quirks.
Ali followed her gaze. “Thank you.”
Storm glanced up. “For?”
“For being my friend, for not pushing the issue, but mostly for showing me that it’s out there somewhere. That never ending soul mate love, that I thought…I thought….well, you know. You and Wolverino have that.”
Storm smiled. “We do.” She laughed as she watched Logan jerk back as Jubilee dropped a water balloon on his head from the second story bedroom window.
Ali strummed a few notes, but then put the guitar down hurrying back to the house. Ororo frowned, following her.
“Ali?”
“Bathroom.” Jubilee said from her position hanging from a coat hook.
Ali appeared a moment later. “When ya gotta go…”
“You’re all right?”
“Yeah, just stressed.”
Ororo watched her friend walk into the kitchen and pour herself a cup of coffee, a speculative glint in her cerulean eyes.
“Darlin’.” Logan came up behind her, burying his face in her hair, and pulling her back against the strong cradle of his body.
Ororo tilted her head back, brushing his lips with a feather light kiss. “What are your plans today?” she asked him, taking a seat and unfolding the paper, scanning the headlines for any news about mutants.
“I got two DR sessions today, and a few odd jobs at take care of. You?”
“Training this morning, conference this afternoon, a date with Ali tonight.”
Logan nodded. It would be good for Ali to get out with ‘Ro. If anyone could make her feel better it was his beautiful wife. He leaned over her, kissing her slowly. “See ya later, darlin’.” He grabbed his worn denim jacket from the wall, lowering Jubilee to the ground. “No more water balloons.”
Jubilee crossed her arms. “Some people have no sense of fun.”
He growled down at her. “And some people have no sense of self preservation.”
“Blah, blah, blah.” Jubilee flapped her had.
“I think you’ve lost any ability to intimidate her,” Ororo said with a smile. “She has seen your Betty Boop boxers.”
Jubilee grinned.

Gym
Forty-five minutes later

“Wasn’ sure you were gonna show.” Gambit said as Storm entered the mirrored room.
Storm dropped her duffle. “And why wouldn’t I show?”
Gambit didn’t reply immediately. He expected her to be angry, but she seemed calm.
“Gambit, why wouldn’t I show?”
“Because of what ‘appened wit’ me and Ali.”
Storm pulled a roll of tape from her bag, wrapping her hands and wrists. “Hey, you want to fuck up the best thing that’s ever happened to you, that’s your issue.” Oh, she wasn’t angry. Stormy was livid.
She tore the tape with her teeth, tossing it back in her duffel. She bounced a couple of times, tossing her head back and forth, her long pony tail swaying back and forth. She stretched her arms wide, butterflying them and squatting. She was dressed in standard Xavier’s sweats and body hugging gray tank, the black tape wrapped tight and she flexed her fingers to loosen it a bit.
Gambit arched back, flipping in slow motion, stretching as he went. He did that a couple of times, coming to a stop near the mirrored wall. “’Ow is she?” He asked, unable to keep the question locked inside. He needed to know.
Storm gave him a frosty stare. “She was just kicked in the face by the man she loved. How do you think she is, brother dear?” She took up a fighting stance. “Let’s go.”
Gambit smirked. “No flexibility training today, padnat?”
“No.” She swept his legs in a smooth motion. Gambit flipped back.
“You wanna fight?”
“No.” Storm shook her head. “I want to train.”
Gambit nodded. “Okay den.” He moved quick, his hand grasping her wrist and flinging her over his shoulder.
Having been raised together, and knowing each other so well, Ororo had seen the move coming. She allowed her momentum to carry her forward, until her knees were level with his shoulders as he tossed her over his back, then she clamped her thighs around his head, pulling him back with her. They hit the ground hard, the mat offering little cushion.
Gambit rolled to his feet, stomping down. Ororo rolled, her pony tail trapped under his boot. “Gotchya,” he said.
“You think?” Ororo scissor her legs, taking him down and flipping herself up so that she stood over him.
“Nice, chere.”
“My husband taught me that.”
She took a step back, letting him up. They circled each other for a moment, Gambit doing several kicks and punches, working Storm back across the room, into a corner. Storm was impressed by Gambit’s steady offensive. She was getting ready to counter when a husky voice interrupted them.
“Can I play too?” Betsy stood in the doorway, leaning one arm over her head, a sexy smile on her face. From her position it was impossible for her to see Storm in the corner, that was until she strolled forward, and stepped around Gambit. Storm raised one winged brow at Betsy.
Betsy straightened.
“Come on then, Betsy. Come play with me.” Storm said in welcome.
For a moment the other woman looked surprised. “I don’t want to interrupt.”
“Too late.” Storm shoved Gambit aside. “We’re done.” She turned towards Betsy. “So what’s it gonna be, Bets? Want to play? We aren’t scheduled for another hour, but I can squeeze you in.”
Betsy’s smile became knowing. “Sure, Storm. We can play.” She swung her fist, catching Storm in the nose. Blood sprayed the floor.
Gambit stepped forward, but Storm held up her hand. She rolled her shoulders, an unconscious imitation of Wolverine. She motioned Betsy forward with a flick of her fingers, her hand outstretched, palm up.
“I see Wolverine’s been giving you more lessons,” Betsy muttered.
Storm smiled, the blood from her nose staining her lips. “He’s taught me so much.” Storm shifted her weight. “Like, did you know there are points on a person’s body that can render them immobile in less than a second. Here and here and here.” Storm whirled her two fingers on her right hand jabbing the pressure points on Betsy’s body as she spoke, the other woman dropping to the floor, her mouth opened as her body clenched. Storm wiped the back of her hand across her nose. “I won’t have backstabbers on my team. That’s your lesson today, Bets. Learn it, memorize it. Don’t make me quiz you.”
“Damn, padnat--” Slam! Gambit’s body was thrown across the room by a hard kick in his gut. Storm picked up her duffel. She gave them an icy stare over her shoulder, her voice just as cold. “I’ll be training in the Danger Room for the remainder of this workout period. I suggest both of you find somewhere else to be.”

Danger Room

Ororo cursed. She shouldn’t have lost her temper. It wasn’t her place. She had been upset, even angry at Gambit, but not to the point of wanting to cause him bodily harm. Then she’d seen Betsy, with that smile and sway. The all too familiar sexual tone in her voice when she spoke to Gambit. Grr. She hit the attacking soldier in the face with the palm of her hand, following the blow with a second upward hit, sending the freshly broken bones of its nose into its cerebral cortex. She flipped backwards several times, avoiding the lasers revolving around the room. She hadn’t lied to Jubilee. She did like Betsy, but Ali was her best friend, and despite wanting to remain impartial and neutral, Ororo had found it impossible. Maybe she wasn’t cut out to be a leader?
“Storm.” Wolverine strode into the room, effectively ending the program.
“Hey.” She straightened, wiping sweat from her brow. She was soaked. “What are you doing here?”
Wolverine moved towards her. “It’s after two o’clock, Storm. Me and Petey have the room now.”
Storm blinked. Had she really been in the Danger Room for over four hours?
“Are you alright?’ He asked concerned.
“Of course. I guess I just lost track of the time.” She smiled awkwardly picking up a small towel from the floor and patting her face.
“How long ya been in here?” he asked.
“Couple of hours,” she shrugged.
He cupped her face, studying her. “Have ya talked ta Chuck about yesterday?”
“Do I need to?”
“Storm, ya tried at kill yerself.”
“No I didn’t.”
“I saw ya. You were burning yerself out ta the point of no return. Even Chuck felt it.”
She laughed. “Don’t be ridiculous.” She stepped away from him. “I just had a bad experience. I am a claustrophobe, Logan. Being buried is not altogether pleasant for me.”
He pulled her back into his arms. “Alright.” He crushed her lips beneath his. “I love ya, wife of mine.”
She relaxed, melting against him, twining her arms around his neck. He groaned, pressing one hand to the small of her back while the other cradled her face as his tongue teased hers.
“Okay you two. Come up for air.” Peter stepped through the hydraulic doors. “There’s a time and a place for that sort of thing.” He winked at Storm.
“Your just jealous that I got him,” she teased.
Wolverine gave her a hooded look, wondering how Peter was going to take that.
“Ah yes, but I still have my dark fantasies and that neat little ‘Wolverine Gone Wild’ program Beast made up for me.” Peter said with a smile. Storm was one of the few people that knew his sexual preference and she never avoided the issue, nor called attention to it. She just teased and treated him like she did the others. It was one of the reasons he liked her. Storm didn’t judge, she accepted.
“Okay, big guy, that’s enough ta give me nightmares fer a week.” Wolverine gave Storm one last kiss before requesting the program he and Colossus were going to train with.
“I’ll see you tonight,” she said. Wolverine gave her a wink, but she didn’t miss the watchful glint in his steel eyes.
Storm left the Danger Room, rubbing her head. Four hours? She made her way to the showers, not having the energy to generate one of her own. She turned the knobs, hot steamy water flowed over her body. She sighed, relaxing under the spray, leaning her head back and enjoying the feel….
The water was cold. That was the first thing she noticed. The second was that her face was pressed to the mint green tiled floor beside the copper drain. She lifted her arm, flinging her wet hair over her head. What the…? She rose to her feet, confused. The overhead lights were on, and that was odd. They didn’t turn on until after five.
Storm turned off the water, wrapping her long towel around her torso. She walked slowly through the locker room, feeling like the room was tilted beneath her feet. She reached her locker, pulling out her watch, 5:32. She sank down onto the bench, taking a few deep breaths. She felt fine now. Man, that mission had taken more out of her than she thought. She’d better get a move on, she was to meet Charles and Scott in the conference room at six, then get ready with Ali for their night out. She was looking forward to it, they hadn’t gone out since Harry’s shortly after Vegas and that felt like forever ago, A night out was just what they needed.





You must login () to review.