Ali took the stage, a vision in skintight leather silhouetted in an awesome lightshow that shifted in color and intensity to match her emotions as she sang. Her voice sultry and deep, fluctuating with the hard rifts she wailed out on her guitar. She closed her eyes, lips skimming the mic as she sang, pouring every dark emotion burning through her heart out.

“You say you love me
You claim you love me
Why do you lie to me, it’s killing me
You say you love me
Trying to take me
Trying to break me
Why do you lie to me, it’s killing me


You're everyone’s charmin’ boy
Don’t play by any of the rules
I'm sick of all your lies- not a truth be told!
I've held in all this shit, Now I'm gonna choke
Standing in the shadows, Your false words in my head
The lies stuck in my throat

You say you love me
You claim you love me
Why do you lie to me, it’s killing me
You say you love me
Trying to take me
Trying to break me
Why do you lie to me, it’s killing me

I know you're fuckin’ around
I think I’m not the only fool
You and your beautiful face
It kills me to cry, to say goodbye
I thought I loved you but I loved a lie
Why’d you have to lie, you’ve killed it all
Goodbye, no other words but goodbye
I’m done loving a lie”

By the end of the song she was screaming into the microphone, her half-gloved fingers stroking a bleeding melody from her guitar, sweat dripping along her face. The crowd was going nuts, jumping and waving their fists in the air. From her seat on the corner of the stage Ororo watched her best friend vent her rage and frustration the only way she knew how. With raw energy that spilled forward to the rough beat of aggressive music. It was breathtaking to behold.
Ali jumped up and down, her spiked hair damp with sweat, her scratchy vocals etching a haunting blend of rage and anguish on Ororo’s heart. Lights in deep red and purple exploded on the stage as Ali finished her song.
Storm hopped from the stage, waiting as Ali handed the platform over to the house band once again.
“Impressive,” Storm said over the immediate loud drumming.
Ali was silent, downing her bottled water, pouring the last portion over her head.
“You feeling any better?” Storm asked.
One pierced brow rose.
“Ok. Dumb question.”
“You know, I really thought Gambit and I had something. That even if it ended, it wouldn’t be because we were shits to each other. I thought….I don’t know I guess I thought we meant more to each other than that.”
Storm nodded. “I understand. I don’t know what to say. Remy’s always been a charmer, and a ladies man, but even I thought you were different for him.”
“Guess we were both wrong.”
“I don’t know, Ali. I think he really loves you.”
“You don’t fuck other people when you’re in love, Storm. Simple fact.”
“You have a point there.” Ororo said with a sad smile. “So what do you want to do now? The night is still young.”
Ali laughed. “Storm, it’s damn near one in the morning.”
Storm gave Ali a curious look.
“Honestly.” Ali confirmed.
“Wow. Time flies when your having fun,” Storm muttered.
Ali placed he hand on Storm‘s bare arm. “You okay, Stormy?”
“Of course I am. Tonight is about you, so what now?”
“Yo quero Taco Bell?”
Storm laughed. “Grilled overstuffed beef burritos here we come!”

Xavier Institute
Boathouse

Wolverine twisted the phone cord around his fingers, clenching and unclenching his fist. He heard the static hiss of a long distance connection.
“[Hello.]”
“Uh, [hello]. [I’m calling for a Shiro Yashida.]” Wolverine paused. He spoke Japanese? When the hell did he start speaking Japanese? He had in his dream, but when he had woken it had all felt like surreal gibberish.
“[This is Shiro Yashida. Who is this?]”
“[My name’s Wolverine. I’m a member of a group of mutants you may be familiar with, known as the X-Men. I got your number from a co-worker of mine. This may seem like a ridiculous question, but do you know a Mariko Yashida?]”
There was a long silence. “[You say your name is Wolverine?]”
“[Yes.]”
“[What business do you have with Mariko?]”
Logan’s gut contracted. She was alive? “[Is she there?]”
“[You have not answered my question.]”
“[I…I’m an old acquaintance.]”
“[I do not believe you. What is your real name, Wolverine?]”
“[I go by Wolverine.]”
“[And she would know you by this name?]”
Probably not. “[Maybe.]”
Another long pause. “[I do not like your evasiveness, Wolverine.]”
Logan sighed. “[Look, I think Mariko may know me. I would like to speak with her, if possible.]”
“[You think she may know you. A moment ago you were an acquaintance.]”
Logan heard a dull roaring in his head, his vision going blurry, then clear. “[Listen, Shiro, I don’t have time for your shit. Put M’iko on the phone before I slap some adamantium upside your head.]”
Harsh breathing. “Logan?”
Wolverine stiffened. What the hell?
“Logan. Is that you?”
Sweat formed in the palm of the hand holding the phone in a death grip. “Yes.”
“It can’t be. We were told you were dead.”
“Obviously not.”
There was a long silence again. “What do you want?”
“I don’t know exactly. You know me? How do you know me?“
“You don’t remember?”
“It’s a long story and I’d rather not hash old shit out over the phone--”
“You should have stayed dead.” click.
Logan held the phone to his ear long after Shiro had hung up. Mariko was alive? He hung up the phone. He could use a beer. He pulled a six pack from the fridge, then yanked his leather coat from the wall, stalking out into the night, lighting his cigar and heading for the Institute garage that housed his bike.

En route to Xavier’s

“I just can’t take anymore…this life of solitude…I love you, I hate you, I just can’t live without you!” Ali sang loudly with the radio, her hands high over her head, caressing the night air, colors flying behind the red Mustang.
Ororo smiled at her friend, glad they had taken the convertible. The night was beautiful. Cool, crisp and clear. The stars glittered overhead, trapped in a sea of liquid ink and holding untold and undiscovered secrets. She heard him before she saw him. A lone figure traveling at breakneck speeds on a one of a kind motorcycle. He flew past the car, not even slowing. Ororo jerked her head, white hair whipping in the wind.
Ali turned in her seat. “Hey! Wasn’t that-?”
“My husband? Yes.”
“Where’s he going?”
“I don’t…Oh my…” Ororo abruptly lost consciousness, the car swerving off the road, hitting the rumble strip and careening over the embankment.
“Shit! Storm!!” Ali unbuckled her belt, practically sitting on Ororo’s lap, slamming her foot on the brake, trying to lift Storm away from the steering wheel. “Damn girl!” Ali grabbed the wheel, bring the car to a grinding stop, gravel skittering down into the foliage beneath them. Ali took a deep breath. She unbuckled Storm tilting her back in the seat. “Storm. Snap out of it.” She patted her face a couple of times.
“Ali?”
“Don’t you Ali me, chickie. You just scared the shit outta me.”
“What happened?”
“What happened? You passed the fuck out. Wolverine goes whizzing by on his new baby and you go lights out.”
Ororo rubbed her head. “I’ve been really tired lately.”
“Why didn’t you say something.”
“Because, Ali, you’ve got enough on your plate. Besides, I’m just overtired.”
“I’m taking you to see Big and Blue.”
“No. We don’t need to wake Henry.” Storm gave her a reassuring smile. “I’m fine.”
“Right. Look either you go see Henry or I tell Wolverine you passed out while driving.”
Storm scoffed. “And what? He’ll ground me?”
Ali gave her a look.
“Right. So Henry first thing in the morning.”
“I knew you’d see it my way. Now switch seats, I’m driving home.”
Storm made no argument, sliding into the passenger’s seat well Ali walked over the hood to get into the driver’s side. She gave the road behind her a look, wondering what Wolverine was doing out. She was worried about him. He’d been very quiet before she’d left. She closed her eyes, fighting exhaustion. She’d talk to him when he came home.

Boathouse
4 am

Logan crawled into bed beside Ororo. She lay on her side, curled against his pillow, holding it to her. Logan smiled at the sight of her. So innocent and pure. Her long colorless hair was pushed over her head so that it too curved around the pillow, her soft, full lipped mouth parted, her long lashes resting against the most beautiful face he’d ever seen. She was a remarkable woman. Brave and loyal, loving and giving. She was the light to his endless dark. She was his…everything.
With that thought in his head, Logan ran his hand along her thigh, up over her peach satin covered hip, along her arm until he cupped her fragile, determined jaw in his hand. She stirred, nuzzling him. “Hi, honey,” she whispered, slowly blinking awake.
“Hey, baby.” He curled behind her, rubbing his nose in the nape of her neck, inhaling her warm sleep smell. Lavender and rose with the underlying scent of rain and sandalwood. “How was yer night?”
“Fine. We went to a club in the city.”
“Mmm. Have fun?” He caressed her hips, molding her back against his already heated body.
“Yes.” Ororo moved, unconsciously rubbing against him, her hips making subtle undulations into his groin. “I saw you on our way home.”
Logan kissed her bare shoulder, pushing the thin strap of her nightie aside. “Where?”
“On the highway. Out for a spin?”
“Mm.” His tongue teased her skin right behind her ear. “Had a lot on my mind.”
“Oh?”
“Shh. I’m trying ta seduce my wife.”
“Oh.” Ororo rolled so that she was facing him. Goddess, she loved him so much. He lay beside her, his gaze hungry and demanding, making her tremble. He was fierce and powerful, the world’s most dangerous man. In her bed, in her heart, hers. She threaded her fingers through his wild windblown hair. “I love you, Logan.”
Logan gave her a lingering kiss. “I love ya too, ‘Ro.” He slid the light peach satin over her legs, up her stomach, lifting her slightly so that he could tug it from her altogether, leaving her bare to his hot gaze.
Logan buried his face in the hollow of her shoulders, his mouth moving over her silken skin. His hands shaped her slender body, tracing her womanly form, her lush lips, perfect breasts and rounded hips. So feminine. So strong. “Ororo.” He breathed her name against the swell of her breast, flicking his tongue, forming an erotic peak. His kissed his way up the vulnerable line of her throat, his moist mouth lingering, tasting every inch of her until he reached her mouth, fastening there. She was everything to him. “Everything.” he said aloud without realizing it, sliding his tongue along hers in a fiery dance. She murmured against his lips, small sounds, words of love and endearments.
Ororo kissed her way across his shoulders, over his broad chest, sucking gently against one male nipple. Her entire body was engulfed in flames. She was so hot, she burned for him. Only him. Logan.
He caught her hips, pinning her to the bed, telling her with his dark eyes how much he loved her before filling her in one smooth, powerful thrust. Ororo groaned, her head falling back over his arm. Logan grunted, teeth nipping her chin, working down her neck. He moved hard and fast, long sure strokes designed to bring her pleasure.
Ororo looked up at the face above her, his animal magnetism catching her breath. He was so heartbreakingly beautiful to her. Feral and strong, dark and sensual. She whispered it to him, how beautiful he was, how wondrous she found him.
Logan couldn’t believe the words his glorious wife was whispering in his ear as he thrust into her. Beautiful. Wonderful. Perfect. She was telling him these things and he shuddered in reaction. How she could see past the dark, past the blood, past the animal amazed him, but she did. She knew him better than anyone, including himself. He looked down at her, her eyes swimming with undiluted love, her lips parted as she panted, little sounds of pleasure coming from her as he rocked. So fucking incredible. She loved him.
She leaned up, capturing his mouth with her own, offering total acceptance of him. He rolled them so that she was on top, straddling him, her abundance of thick snowy hair falling around them. He groaned and growled watching her move on him. “Yer mine.” he said with a growl, his hands gripping her waist.
“Yes.” she affirmed.
She moved her body faster and Logan fought not to close his eyes. She was such an erotic picture on top of him that he almost lost control. She was too much, robbing him of his ability to think. Fuck. She undulated her body, grinding against his harder now, faster. Fuck. Oh Jesus.
Ororo’s breath shortened, every part of her body tingling, blood rushing through her body, humming and singing, crying out for him. Her heart. Her soul. “Logan!” she shattered.
With a fierce roar he followed, holding her down on him as his hips bucked, his body exploding into hers. She collapsed on his chest. He buried his hands in her moonlit hair, his breathing erratic. He felt her smile against his skin and he tilted her face. “What?”
She grinned. “Even your healing factor has a hard time keeping up with us. Your heart is racing.”
Logan gave her a wolfish grin. “Give it a minute.”
Ororo laughed as he rolled them again, kissing her slowly. “Love you.”
He gazed at her intense. “Yer my only, ‘Ro. Know that.”
She tilted her head, questions in her eyes, but he leaned forward kissing her again, making her lose all thought.

Morning

Ororo stood outside the downstairs bathroom door, leaning against the wall when it opened and Ali stepped out, still damp from her shower.
“Mornin’.” Ali greeted with a weak smile.
Ororo handed her a slim box.
“What’s this?” Ali turned it in her hands. She shook her head. “No.”
“Take it.”
After a moment Ali nodded, returning into the bathroom and shutting the door. She emerged three minutes later, with Ororo waiting in the exact same spot. Without a word exchanged between them Ororo enfolded her friend, her sister, in a loving embrace, holding her as her shoulders shook.
Logan watched the two women in the hall hug from his seat at the kitchen bar, morning coffee in hand. Ororo met his steel gaze over Ali’s shoulder and she nodded.
Ali sniffed, but put on a brave smile, walking with Storm into the kitchen. “Looks like your gonna be an uncle,” she said to Wolverine as nonchalantly as though she were commenting on the weather, but he could smell her fear and sadness and loneliness.
“Can’t wait, kid.” he said gently.
“Looks like your not the only one going to see Henry today, eh, Storm?” Ali asked grabbing the orange juice from the fridge. She grimaced, too late realizing her faux pas.
Wolverine straightened slowly, swiveling towards Ororo, who was glaring daggers at the back of Ali’s head. “Why are ya going at see Hank?”
“Just a check up,” she shrugged.
Wolverine stalked towards her. “Yer lyin’.”
“I don’t lie.”
“It shows.”
She scowled at him. He crossed his arms, his head cocked. His stubborn stance. “I’m just a bit run down.”
“Why didn’t ya say something.” He moved her towards the couch, forcing her to sit.
“Because of this.” she said. “I don’t need to be babied. I have a lot of work to do and I know you, Logan, you’ll hover around like some overprotective mama hen.”
Ali chuckled. Wolverine and overprotective mama type was comical.
He tossed her a narrow look over his shoulders. “Remind me in nine months or so ta teach ya some respect.”
“I’ll be sure to jot that down.” Ali said sipping her juice.
Logan turned back to Ororo. “Take today off.”
“I don’t think so.”
“Storm, it may not be such a bad idea,” Ali added from the kitchen. “Especially after last night.”
“Alison-”
“What happened last night?” Wolverine growled.
“Stormy blanked, passed out cold.”
Wolverine turned back to Storm a dark scowl on his face.
“Damn near killed us, what with the car going over the embankment and all.”
“Alison.” Storm gave her a mutinous look, mouthing ‘traitor’.
“Storm.” Wolverine held her gaze. “Has that happened before?”
“What? Spacing and going over a hill while driving? Hmm…Nope. Pretty sure that’s the first time.”
He growled. “Ya know what I mean.”
“That’s my cue.” Ali said, leaving the kitchen and closing her bedroom door.
Ororo thought about the blank spaces in time lately, and waking up face down on the shower room floor. “No.”
He sniffed her.
“Logan. Cut that out.”
“Yer lyin’.”
“Look, I’m going to see Hank today, so can we drop this? Honestly.” Ororo stood, walking into the kitchen. “Besides, we have to think of Ali now. She needs us.”
“Ali’s a big girl, ‘Ro.”
“So am I.”
“Yer my wife.”
She smiled warmly at that. “Yes, I am.”
He followed her into the kitchen. “I worry ‘bout ya, darlin’.”
“Logan, you worry too much. Everything’s fine. Just a little tired.”
He pulled her close, his eyes darkening in concern.





You must login () to review.