Xavier Institute
Loft

Gambit watched Ali through narrowed eyes. She had entered the room only a moment ago and was still hovering beside the door. She crossed her arms, shifting her weight back and forth. “Why’d you attack mister Hunky-Wings?” she asked.
Gambit cocked his head, his eyes narrowing at the nickname. “I saw ‘im kiss you. I saw it, chere, and it damn near killed me. You kissin‘ anoder man.” It was only the fact that he also saw her push Warren away that kept Gambit from losing it completely.
Ali shrugged. “So. I saw you fuckin’ another woman, Gambit. I don’t think you wanna go comparing wounds.”
To his credit he looked ashamed. “Ali-”
She held up her hand. “Don’t. I don’t want to hear it. I’ve heard it all before, I’ve heard every single, fucking bullshit lie that you could feed me, and I still don’t want you. We’re done.”
“No.”
“Oh, yes. Done.” She glared at him.
“I love you.”
“No you don’t.”
“I do, Ali. I’ve never told anyone dat before, Ali. Not until you. And I know you love me.”
Ali looked away, her jaw clenched. “Yeah, well, you threw that out the window didn’t you. Look, Gambit, I didn’t ask to talk to you so we could talk about this.”
“Den why did you wanna talk t’ me?” He moved to stand in front of her, clenching his hands into fists to keep from touching her. Merde, he missed her. He was such a fuck up.
She turned to face him, looking him square in the eye. “I’m pregnant.”
Gambit was thunderstruck. “Mine?”
SLAP! “Fuck you, you miserable son of a bitch! Of course it’s yours!”
Gambit cradled his face. “Ali, I didn’ mean it like dat! You caught me off guard.”
Ali swung again. Just because the first slap felt so good. Gambit caught her wrist, his eyes glowing into hers. “Chere.” He touched her cheek.
“Don’t touch me.” Ali jerked her hand away from him, shouldering past him to pace the room.
“Petite…?”
“I’m keeping it,” she glared at him, her ocean eyes sparkling. “So don’t even think of suggesting otherwise! I may not be the ideal mother, but I will love this baby. I just wanted you to know. I don’t need you, but you had a right to know.”
“Your goin’ t’ be a wonderful mot’er, Ali,” Gambit’s throat was tight. A bebe. His chest hurt and he could barely breathe.
“I don’t know about wonderful…”
Gambit smiled, a look of longing on his handsome face.
“This changes nothing.” Ali said quietly.
“Dis changes every’in.”
“Please don’t make things hard for me, Gambit. I need to focus on my health and this baby. I can’t be worrying about unwanted advances from you.”
Gambit strode forward. “Der was a time when dey weren’t unwanted.” His voice was low, and seductive and Ali knew he was using his empathic ability to charm her.
“Stop it.” She turned away from him. She felt his hands on her shoulders a moment later, his lips on the nape of her exposed neck. She shivered. “Don’t.”
“Ali…” He kissed her again on the neck. “Je t’aime.”
Ali closed her eyes, fighting the urge to turn and throw herself into his strong arms. Instead she elbowed him as hard as she could. She stalked to the door, yanking it open. “I meant what I said,” she told a wheezing Remy. “I don’t want you any more.”
He straightened. “I love you, Ali, and I’ll prove it.”
“You had a chance to prove it, Rem. All you had to do was say no. Goodbye, Gambit.” Ali closed the door behind her.
Behind her Gambit stood silent in the room they had shared, his chest heaving with emotion. He sat on the bed, burying his face in his hands and for the first time in many years, he cried.
Ali leaned her head on the cool wood, hearing Gambit’s quiet sobs and fighting against the near overwhelming desire to open the door and soothe him. She turned away, slowly descending the narrow staircase, wishing that so many things could be different, yet knowing that wishing wasn’t going to change a thing.

Headmaster’s Office

“..And that’s all the information we have currently.” Nick Fury stood in front of Xavier’s desk, two armed soldiers behind him. Wolverine was leaning against the back wall, listening intently to what Fury was saying.
“And you believe this Dr. Cornelius is in Japan?”
“Yes. I trust my sources.”
“Yer sources have blown smoke up yer ass before,” Wolverine pointed out. “Could be a dead end.”
“I would think you’d be more excited about this. This is the first solid lead we’ve had in months regarding Weapon X and since Wraith’s disappearance, which once again I am sure you know nothing about, it is all we have to go on.”
Wolverine shrugged. “Takes a lot more than a half ass lead on a shady doctor ta get me excited, Fury.”
“Never used to.”
“Maybe I’m maturing,” Wolverine said with a smirk.
“Uh-huh.” He tossed the file onto Xavier’s desk. “That’s the intel. Take it, use it, burn it, I don’t really much care. Just thought I’d bring it by.”
“Out of the kindness of yer heart I imagine.” Wolverine straightened. “What is it ya want, Fury?”
Instead of answering Logan directly, the tall man turned to Xavier. “There’s a mutant situation brewing in Japan as well. Apparently a young mutant has taken it upon himself to ‘clean the streets’, inciting several clan wars.”
“What do you care? It’s not like you t’ give a rat’s ass about any land that doesn’t belong ta Uncle Sam, now anyway.”
“Because we owe Sunfire.”
Wolverine stiffened at the name.
“I see that got your attention.” Fury noted. “I need the situation dealt with. Quietly. I don’t want the kid hurt, but he needs to be stopped. And quickly.”
“Are you asking for Wolverine?” Charles inquired, stroking the cat on his lap.
“Officially, no.”
“Unofficially?”
“Him and Psylocke.”
“Who the hell is Psylocke?”
“That was Betsy’s codename in England.” Xavier explained.
“Hnh.”
“I need an answer in the next thirty seconds. You’ll leave immediately.”
Wolverine scowled. “No.”
Fury blinked his one eye. “A heli- what?”
“No.” Wolverine shook his head. “I’m tired of chasin’ my past. Weapon X is done, and that’s good enough fer me.”
Both Fury and Xavier looked shocked.
“If that’s all ya need from me, Chuck, I got better places ta be.” He walked towards the door.
Fury‘s voice stopped him mid stride. “You owe it to Mariko to help Sunfire.”
Wolverine froze, turning slowly his upper lip curled. “Start talkin’.”
“On the copter.”
Wolverine growled. “I ain’t some sort of attack dog you get ta bait and send on a merry chase, Fury. Talk.”
“On the copter.” The general crossed his arms.
Wolverine looked ready to refuse again when he caught the sweet scent of vanilla and sandalwood a few seconds before the door opened and Ororo stepped into the office. She walked to his side and stood facing Xavier and Fury. “Gentlemen.”
“Storm?” Logan gave her a questioning look. She tapped the side of her head letting him know that Xavier had contacted her.
Fury gave her an assessing look, understanding why Wolverine would be attracted to her. The woman exuded power. She met his solitary gaze unflinchingly, her chin tilted slightly, as though assessing him as well. He had seen Ororo Munroe a few times over the past year, but had yet to meet her in person. “Miss Munroe,” he greeted.
“Mrs. Howlett,” Wolverine corrected with a slight snarl. She had taken his real name during the renewal ceremony, leaving no one to question the legality of their union.
“Of course.”
“If you will excuse us, General, Charles.” Ororo nodded to both men, taking Logan’s hand. She gestured with her head that he follow her.
The General opened his mouth but the Professor spoke softly, “If you want him with you, let her talk to him.”
Outside the office in the hall Ororo wrapped her arms around Logan, pressing her lips to his, catching him by surprise as her tongue slid past his lips, drawing him into a deep and intoxicating embrace. With a growl, he closed his arms around her, one hand at the small of her back, the other tugging her white locks. She pulled back slightly, her eyes hazy with passion.
“You can go if you want to,” she whispered. “I’ll understand.”
“’Ro. I ain’t leavin’ ya.”
“Logan. What aren’t you telling me?” Ororo asked, leaning into his embrace.
He sighed. He should know he couldn’t hide things from her. “The mutant that Fury wants me ta settle is connected ta Mariko.”
She lifted her head from his shoulder. “She’s alive?”
He shrugged, appearing indifferent, but the hard set of his jaw said otherwise. “Don’t know.”
“I think that’s something we should definitely know.” she stated. “How did you find out?”
“I called Shiro Yashida.”
“And…?”
“And he wasn’t too happy ta hear from me. Apparently thinks the world’s a better place without me.”
“And Mariko?”
“He didn’t say one way or the other.”
“Hm.” She looked thoughtful.
“Ororo, I ain’t goin’.”
“Yes, you are.”
“No. I need ta be here with you. I ain’t gonna be away from ya, especially not now.”
“Okay. I’ll come with you.”
Logan shook his head. “Uhn-uh. No way, darlin’.”
“Why not?”
“Cuz yer pregnant with my kid, that’s why not.”
“Pregnant, yes. Disabled, no.”
“’Ro…”
“Logan.” She gave him an exasperated look. “You want to go, I can see it. So go.”
“But-” She silenced him with another kiss, searing all thought from his mind.
“I love you.” she murmured into his mouth. “But you will never be content if you don’t know your past, and you may regret not going later. Please, Logan. I don’t want you to resent me.”
“Never happen, darlin’.”
“It could, and I can’t live with that. Now, march back in there and tell Patchy the Pirate you’re going.”
Logan gazed at her, at once both loving and fierce. He pulled her tight against him. “I don’t deserve ya.”
“So you keep saying,” she laughed softly.
Wolverine was gone within the next fifteen minutes, and Ororo waved him off and blew kisses until the helicopter was out of sight.
“This is killing you isn’t it?” Ali asked from the steps.
Ororo kept waving, a bright smile plastered on her face. “Oh yeah.”
Ali sighed. “What a pair we are.”
“Yep.”
“Damn.”
“And shit.”
“Wanna go halves on a pint of Ben&Jerry’s?”
“No.” Ororo turned, the copter gone from sight. She walked up the stairs, her and Ali strolling into the mansion, arms linked. “I want a whole one.”

Night

~~~

Kitty yawned, flicking through the channels on the television. Nothing on. Three hundred plus channels, and nothing on. Depressing. She tossed the clicker onto the small coffee table with a sigh.
“Something troubling you, Kitty?”
Kitty turned, surprised. “Kurt. Hey. I didn’t hear you come in.”
“I can be very quiet.” He grinned at her, white teeth on blue fur. “Can you?”
Kitty raised startled eyes when he reached down and pulled her to her feet. “Can you?” he repeated.
“Uh, can I what?”
“Be very quiet?” his breath tickled her ear and Kitty gasped as she felt his tail curve around her leg.
“Kurt?”
“Surely you aren’t surprised, Kitty. You must know how much I want you.” He licked her. Licked her!
“Uhhh…”
“Shh.” He tightened his hold. “Quiet, Kitty. Not a peep now.” Kurt lowered his head, yellow eyes glowing in the shadows of the room. Kitty gasped at the touch of his lips to hers. They had kissed before, several times, but never like this, never with so much raw hunger coursing between them. She felt his tongue gently nudge against her teeth and she obediently opened her mouth on a moan, letting him in to plunder her.
Kitty was in heaven. He tasted sweet and spicy, and felt incredible. He trailed slow, lingering kisses along her neck, nibbling and nipping. He sucked the lobe of her ear into his mouth and she shuddered.
Impatiently she grabbed his white shirt, and suddenly it was gone, and then she was touching his blue furred muscular chest. It was so soft and sleek, yet hard and male. Kitty trembled. “Kurt…?” she whispered.
“No words,” he said into her neck. “Touch me.”
“Oh…” She trailed her hands over him, delighting in the feel, the sensation. She flicked her thumbs over the nipples slightly concealed in his fur. He moaned, his hips bucking into her.
“I want to touch you, leibling. Everywhere.”
His three fingered hands were cupping her breasts and Kitty’s eyes shot open. When had she taken off her shirt? And how in the hell had they gotten on the pool table? And was that what she thought it was poking into her thigh…? She lost her train of thought as he flicked her nipples with his tongue. “Spread your legs,” he instructed, making her ache. A strange throbbing began and she felt herself become moist.
She seized Kurt’s hair as he licked a trail of wet kisses over her chest and down her stomach. What was he doing? Hey! Where was he…Oh my!!
Kitty lifted herself against his tongue. Her fingers tightened and released compulsively with the licks against her sensitive skin. She felt pressure building, building, ohhhh …ohhhh…”KURT!!!”
***

Kitty screamed as she phazed through her bed, then the floor, landing with a hard thud against the kitchen table, knocking over several chairs.
The kitchen lights flickered on and in the door stood and iced up Bobby and a curious looking Jubilee.
“What the heck, Kitty?” Bobby demanded looking around.
“Sorry.” Kitty straightened, quickly sitting up and pulling her long tee shirt down. “Had a…dream,” she mumbled.
“Mondo bizarre way to wake up from a dream,” Jubilee smiled, winking.
Kitty glowered at her.
*BAMF*
“I heard someone scream my name!”
“Oh, that would be madam grace over there,” jubilee provided. “She had a…dream.”
Kitty’s look was comical, horrified and entranced. “Uh, hi, Kurt.”
“Kitty.” He helped her from the table. “Are you hurt?”
She was about to reply in the negative when Kurt lifted her into his strong arms. “Do you need assistance?”
“Uh, yeah. I think I sprained my ankle.” Kitty said with a weak smile.
Jubilee frowned. “Hey, Elf. I gotta hangnail that I guarantee hurts more than Kit-Kat’s ‘sprained’ ankle. Wanna carry me to bed. Maybe tuck me in?”
Bobby grabbed her hand, marching her from the room. Kitty could hear Jubilee’s laughter floating back to them.
“Thanks.” she whispered to Kurt.
“No problem, Kitty. What are friends for?”
Not the kind of things you were doing in my dream, she thought, but remained silent, pressing her head into his shoulder. *BAMF*

~~~~
“Uhhn. Merde. You’re so tight.” Gambit was sweating, the red in his eyes glowing against the black in the dark. He pushed deeper, losing himself in her tightness, holding her close. “Je t’aime, Ali.”
“I love you, Etienne. I do. I’m so sorry of I pushed you away.” She pulled him closer, her hips arching off the mattress to meet his hard strokes. Gambit closed his eyes.
“Faster!! Fuck me faster!” Legs like a vise closed around him and his eyes shot open. Beneath him Betsy Braddock was squeezing her own breasts as he pounded into her.
No! This isn’t what he wanted. He closed his eyes, chanting in his head: Ali, Ali, Ali… When he opened his eyes, it was Ali’s aqua marine depths staring up at him, but there was no love in them, only bitterness and betrayal.
“How could you?” she demanded. “You touched her like this. Like you touched me. How could you, Rem?”
“Alison. I’m sorry,” he tried to pull her to him, but she sifted through his fingers like sand. Everything went dark and then he saw streams of light, bright and colorful. Ali. Gambit looked around. He was in a dark hallway now, walking towards the light, toward the only woman he’d ever loved. As he got closer he heard her voice, Deep and husky, slightly raspy like when they made love or after she sang. There was a door separating them and he pushed against it, only to find it near impossible to open. He pushed, laying his shoulder into the door, gritting his teeth. He needed to get to her…
“Ahhh, War. Oh, my God. You feel so good. So damn goooood.”
Gambit froze. No! NOnononoNO!! He peered through the slight crack in the door he’d made and inside the room, Ali was astride Warren, moving on him in ecstasy. Her dark head was thrown back, her pert breasts in Warren’s golden hands. The angel smiled at him over Ali’s shoulder.
“She’s incredible. Taste’s like the finest bourbon.”
Gambit exploded, slamming himself into the door over and over again. ALI!! ALI!! ALLLIIIIII!!!

***
Gambit sat up in bed, drenched in sweat, Ali’s name on his lips. He stood, moving out onto the balcony, needing the air, feeling like he was going to be sick. He gazed at the dark sky, running one hand through his damp hair. He needed a cigarette.

~~~

The garden was beautiful with several flowers that he had never seen before. He had come here for the solitude. Wanting to get away from the commotion in the house, the talks of war and further bloodshed. Not that those things bothered him, quite the opposite, but tonight he wanted space and he had felt a call in his heart, telling him to go to the garden. She would be there. Waiting for him.
He stepped through the archway and she rose, elegant and graceful, a soft smile on her face.
“Sorry,” he said. “Didn’t mean ta disturb ya. Just wanted some peace.”
“Don’t we all,” she said softly, her voice like soothing music over him.
He approached her slowly, cautiously, as if she were a timid creature, skittish and ready to bolt. “I’m called Wolverine.”
“That is a name?”
“No. Not really, not between friends.” He watched her pick a white flower, holding it reverently. She was so at ease, peaceful. The moonlight cast soft shadows on her beautiful face. His heart skipped. “I’m Logan.”
“Logan.” she tried it out. He liked the way it sounded. “Is a nice name.”
“Thanks.” He waited patiently. She rose, walking along the stone path towards the house. She cast him a shy smile over her shoulder. “I am Mariko. It was a pleasure to meet you, Logan-san.” She slid the door open, pulling it quietly shut behind her.
“Same.” He sat on the boulder she had occupied, it was still warm from her body. He touched the white flowers she had held so reverently and smiled. She was gentle and quiet and demure. Frail and delicate, like the flower in his hand. Logan looked back at the closed door and crushed the flower in his hand ruthlessly.

***
“Wake up, Wolverine. We have arrived.” Betsy was nudging his shoulder.
“Huh?” Wolverine sat up, wiping one hand down his face.
“We’re here,” she repeated.
Stepping off the plane Logan was assaulted by feelings of trepidation like none he had ever felt before and immediately he thought of Ororo.

~~~

Blood. Oh, Goddess, there was so much blood. This wasn’t natural was it? There shouldn’t be that much blood? Should there?
“Hang on, darlin’.”
“Logan?” she looked around, but he was nowhere to be found. “Logan where are you? I…I need you.”
Pain. Tearing through her body. Tearing her apart. Oh, Goddess!!
“AAAHHH!!” She arched in agony.
“I told you,” Hank was standing over her, twirling his spectacles between his thumb and forefinger. “Now it is too late.”
“Ororo.”
“Logan!!” So much pain.
“Hey, darlin’.” He was beside her now, rubbing her moist forehead. She sobbed up at him.
“It hurts,” she cried.
“Oh, I know.” He smiled gently. “It’ll all be over soon.” -SNIKT-
“Logan…?”
A quick flick of his wrist and her womb was wide open. “LOGAN!!”
He pulled her son from her womb, a smile on his face. “Wanna meet yer mama, little guy?”
Ororo held out her arms, but Logan was walking away from her. Walking towards a slender dark haired woman in a long robe, her beautiful face alight with joy as Logan handed her Ororo’s baby.
“No!! Give him back. He’s ours, Logan. LOGAN!!”

***
Ororo rolled over, cradling her stomach. “Just a dream,” she muttered. That was the last time she ate an entire pint of KarmelSutra ice-cream again. She pulled Logan’s pillow against her and breathed in his familiar loved scent. She struggled against the tears building. She knew he loved her, knew they were meant to be, soul mates and she knew he would never hurt her. He would never betray her. It was just a dream. Just a stupid, stupid dream.





You must login () to review.