Lives Lived

Twenty minutes after Logan and Scott found Jack Mitchell----

“Why are you here Scotty boy?” Jack asked walking through the doors of the coroner’s office into the open.

“I told you to give you a letter written by Jean and to ask you to come back with us Jack.”
Scott replied as he adjusted his ruby quartz glasses, Logan watching in silence studying this new man.

“I will tell you like I told Xavier at the wedding last time I saw him.” He paused, “Not just no but Hell No!”

Logan smirked enjoying this attitude coming from Jean’s Cousin. ‘Too bad I never got to meet him before.’ Logan thought continuing to watch the exchange.

“Just read the damn letter will you.” Scott was visibly tense, almost agitated while dealing with Jack, it seemed almost like when he dealt with Wolverine. Scott handed the letter to Jack and said, when you want to just call. We will be staying at the Hyatt if you want to call us.

“Tell ya what Scott I’ll stay and play tag-a-long with Johnny here, you go rest up.” Logan intervened

“I am in the middle of this case Scott I can’t just drop and run.” Jack eyed the shorter man and smiled slightly. “I’ll call you when I’m finished either way okay?” He then turns around toward the man named Logan and smirks. “I always heard you were a loner, why do you want to come with me?”

“Maybe ta convince ya ta come back with us.” Logan stared at Jack intently. Jack knew this was a challenge, the stare that is. Jack smiled never looking away from those eyes of steel gray and slight amber. In those he could see lives lived, through the past as a warrior, a leader, a husband, a lover, a killer, a father. It was not just this life of Logan, however long it was, Jack saw other lives lived by other names. Logan’s soul was old.

“Then are you coming? I need to finish this case,” replies Jack as he walks over to a black and chrome 1970 Dodge Charger.

“Nice car.” Logan answers as he follows the blonde-haired person headed man.

“Figured you’d like it.”

Meanwhile to the Northeast in a place called Westchester County an alert sounds…

“What is it Emma?!” shrieks Sean Cassidy better known as BANSHEE, the door to the war room slides open as Alex Summers better known as HAVOC, Ororo Monroe-STORM, Henry McCoy-BEAST, and Sam Guthrie- CANNONBALL come in as well.


“There seems to be an attack by the new GENE NATION at a research facility near Albany.” Emma answers as she turns to the others coming in. “Havoc and Storm I want you to get your team up now. Take Marko, Rachael, Robert, McCoy” she turns to the blue feline form standing near her “ your along for technical, Sam and Paige. Get moving people reports indicate that they are worse than before.”

“WHAT?!” snaps Ororo, “Gene Nation can’t be responsible.”

“Why Storm? Because they have been inactive for awhile?” Snaps Emma. “Get going people.”

Moments later Blackbird-3 launches from the hidden hanger cliff side breaking the sound barrier seconds afterward.

“Okay people we’ll be there in three minutes. Cannonball, Storm, Iceman and I will take first strike option. Juggernaut, Beast, Marvel Girl, and Husk come in hot as soon as you land the bird. If I remember anything about the old Gene Nation this is going to get ugly real fast.” Havoc commands as he turns to the rest of his team.

“You’re the boss.” Replies Henry as he continues to pilot the jet.

“Storm I want you to create a nice storm to cause some confusion. Cannonball you and I will come in low and fast, Iceman make sure they can’t get a foot hold.”

“Do you think this wise Alex?” asks Ororo “What if they have hostages?”

“That’s why I need that confusion factor. If they do we can catch them off guard.” Alex answers looking to Ororo, her eyes showed worry.

“’Roro you okay?” asks Alex.

“I am fine I just have this feeling.” Ororo responds as she looks forward.

“Don’t worry Ma’am we’ll take them out and quick,” Sam replies as he grins, his country-boy accent coming through on a thick draw.

“Last I heard these guys were killed by that nut Agent Zero.” Says Paige Guthrie.

“Well we all know how well anyone truly dies.” Answers Beast “Havoc were approaching the research facility.”

“X-Men lets ride!” Havoc exclaims as he, Storm, Iceman, and Cannonball launch themselves from the Blackbird.

“Does he always have to say something like dat?” Asks Juggernaut as the airlock closes.

Meanwhile at the research facility---
“So tell me why we’re doin dis again?” asks a large green being with exoarmor and blades over his body. HE stands easily at 8 feet.

“Because these flatscans have information on a genetic virus that targets a certain G-Nome XANTHAS,” Answers a grotesque blue goblin looking being with yellow eyes.

“Enough talk, kill, feed.” Responds a 3 foot tall hairball that resembles what appears to be a creature from the movie Critters. Its large red eyes focus on a man in a coat. It’s short arms raise up and his hand spreads, a tentacle fires out with a mouth on the end. It grabs the man’s chest and the human screams in agony. “Yes…More.”

“HEMOGOBLIN enough, I want you Mortis, Xanthas and Enoch to make sure we don’t have any surprises coming.” Responds a man made what appears to be silver or mercury.

“Who made you boss CRUGER?” The one dubbed Hemogoblin asks.

“Care to try me furball?” answers Cruger as his eyes glow with a sickly green aura.

“Not today.” Hemogoblin replies as he rolls away, dropping the human who is now aged by thirty decades.

Then through a mind link Cruger receives a message..
‘Boss man we have company coming.’

‘Whom and which way?’ thinks Cruger

‘South and it appears to be the X-Men.’

‘Thank you HARBINGER. Tell the others.’

Cruger then turns to another scientist grinning, replies “Where is the information I seek flatscan?”

“I don’t know what your talking about.” The human says, terror in his voice.

“Oh come now after all your research created us.” Answers Cruger as he points his finger toward the scientist. “I could take the information from you but I think you want to give it on your own.”

“What are you?”
“To sound cliché, your worse nightmare. A mutant enhanced to the next level.” With this said Cruger’s finger morphs into ten micro wire filaments, plunging into the man’s head through his eyes, nose and ears. The screams become hell born.

Seconds later lightning flashed across the sky and the winds picked up. The Gail was such that the trees bent, nearly breaking, the rain fell feeling as though they were needles hitting the skin. Then a blast of plasma slammed into the tall, monolithic frame of the one called Xanthas, sending him into a wall.

“RRAAARRRRHHHHHHH!!!!” the fireball called Hemogoblin launches himself toward the unwanted intruder called Havoc only to be frozen in the air by an ice blast from Iceman.

“Hey it’s a little Wolverine.” Chuckles Bobby as he slides toward Havoc.

“Well give it credit, It was able to jump against 100 mile an hour winds being directed at them.” Answers Storm as she throws a bolt of lightning toward the green creature named Mortis, only to witness the creature absorb the blast.

“That’s all you got weather bitch!” exclaims Mortis as he places his hand on the earth. “Try this!”

The earth jolted up around Havoc and Iceman knocking them off balance. Then a huge fly swatter made of Earth and rock begins to fall upon them only to be detonated by Havoc’s energy blast.

“That’s not fair!” Replies Mortis.

“Don’t cry Fowl, Cry HAVOC!” Alex exclaims as he unleashes an unrelenting plasma beam toward Mortis.

“Oh Crap.” Mortis replies as he quickly raises a wall of rock in front of him. The blast destroys the wall as well as part of the building behind it. Mortis is not there.

Then ice shatters as Hemogoblin breaks out of his ice prison, launching an attack toward Storm with barbed needles that fired like missiles from his back.
“Aagghh.” Storm was hit by one of the barbs as she had dodged out of the way in her leg, instantly her extremity became numb, paralyzed.

---Back in New Orleans----

“So where are we going Jack?” Asks Logan as they turn off of Poydras Street onto North Johnson heading toward Tulane Avenue.

“The body of the young woman was found last week. She was European, due to her bone structure and the way the teeth were kept she was well off with medical care. I also know that she was murdered by strangulation though she received a blow to her head from a male. There were chips also on the fore-arms and ribs indicating attempts to defend but they failed. Her height indicated that she was about 5’7 to 5’9. From the skull and the fracture it was from a man about three inches taller than she making him about 6’. Then there is the fact that I cheated….” Says Jack to Logan.

“Huh?”

“One of my abilities. Post Cognition. Her name is…was Nicole Melbourne; her husband was named Simon Melbourne. It was a murder of passion and I know that there has been four other attacks like this one over the last six months.”

With this he picks up his radio from the dash and calls in…”This is 12 Delta 7 I need a name trace on one Simon Melbourne. Last known address unknown, lived in New Orleans within the last four years.”

“Roger that we will get back to you Lieutenant.” A voice replied over the radio.

“Now what?” asks Logan.

“Lunch.” Replies Jack as he turns onto Tulane making a right, then making another right a little later on South Claiborne. “I know of a great little burrito place called Kokopellies.”

“Burritos?” Logan replies

“Yeah they’re the size of your arm in width and about 8 inches long.”
Jack answers with a smile on his face.

Just then his radio responds…”12 delta 7 this is 7 Hotel 2 over.”

Jack exhales slightly as he gets the radio and presses the button. “This is he.”

“We have a possible location of the suspect. He lives at 1243 North Johnson.”

“Thanks.” Jack looks back and grins “We just got off that street. Damn!”

Minutes later Jack and Logan drive up to the address they walk up and knock. “Logan can you go around back for a moment incase.”

“Yeah I gotcha.” Logan walks around toward the back using an alley on the right side of the house.

A moment later the door opens to reveal a man who stands about 6’. He leaves the screen locked between Jack and himself.

“May I help you?” asks the man wearily.

“Yes sir my name is Lieutenant Jack Mitchell may I come in? Its about Nicole Melbourne. ” Jack replies showing the badge.

“You find out about my mother?” The gentleman asked, seeming to hold a great deal of anticipation.

“Are you Mr. Melbourne?” Jack asks

“Yes.”

“May I come in and talk for a moment sir?” Jack looking behind the man into the house, then studying him as well.

“Oh sorry, come in.” With this, Simon unlocks the screen door.

After a moment, Jack looks at everything in the house as he swipes his hand across a picture and the vision envelopes him….

After a moment, he looks at the young man no more than twenty-six. “Sir is your father still alive?”

“No he died three months ago of a heart attack.”

“We found her remains and just now was able to place a possible ID on her. She was found on the west bank.”

“She was the bones found?”

“Yes.”

“Do you know what happened?”

“She was murdered but I can’t tell you what really happened.” Jack walks toward the back door and opens it. “Logan I’ll meet you at the car in a moment.”

Logan who had been standing in the middle of the yard shook his head and went back to the charger. “Hnh.”

After a minute or two Jack walked out of the house to the car. His face was emotionless.” I hate this job sometimes.”

“What happened?” Logan asks, a look of confusion on his face.

“It was the boy’s father. He killed her trying to stop her form going out. I couldn’t tell the son that.”

“So where too?”

“Does Xavier still live at the mansion?”

“No.”

“Who runs the place?”

“Scotty and Emma.”

“Great.”

“Is Hank and Bobby still there?”

“Yeah.”

“Okay I’ll try it for a while. I’ll be there in two weeks.”

Back at Albany----

“Your so lucky Wolverine ain’t here bud.” Snaps Juggernaut as he power bombs Xanthas into the concrete.

“Alright people that’s the last of them I think.” Havoc replies” Hank, Bobby and Paige check inside.”

Seconds later the X-Men hear a voice in their minds as they lock up…”Sorry X-Men we can’t stay.”

With that the fallen Gene Nation disappear as a field of energy surrounds them. “DAMN it’s a teleportation effect.” Sam replies.

“Find out what they got Paige and Hank.” Commands Alex.

Two weeks later---

The doorbell rings as Ororo answers it. As she opens the door she sees a blond-headed man standing six foot even. His hair spiked and wild, his eyes blue as the sky, his goatee blonde as his hair with a single black stripe down the middle. He is wearing a tan shirt and dark blue jeans.

“Hello Ororo,” Jack replies. Ororo hugs him, her embrace warm, then Jack sees something…..
The year is 1900 in Alberta Canada, near a rock quarry. He sees it all. He sees Logan, kissing her, the woman with red hair. Her name is..was Rose and it was Ororo.

He backs away and says..”Does Rose ring a bell?”

As he says this Logan who is walking by hears the name Rose and stops.

“Rose.”


So give me feed back....





You must login () to review.