Faithless decisions


Dawn, the goddess of light and storms flies through the heavens, her hair frolicking in the morning wind, she has a smile upon her face that dances with the rising sun, her mood is that of a soaring eagle. It has been so long since she has felt this way. She doesn’t know if it is the fact that Forge proposed last night at dinner or that her old friend Logan woke only an hour ago. Hank had said he would recover but needed bed rest to assure it sooner.

-an hour before-

Ororo had awoke nearly at four and proceeded down to the medical level to see her friend. As she held his hand he opened his eyes and grinned up at her. He said nothing at first, yet his eyes conveyed so much in seconds. The only thing he said was
“Morn’n Ro. Ya been up long?”

Tears came to her eyes as her smile brightened the room. They ran freely as if from a trickling brook. Ororo with a choked voice answers…
“Hardly slept Old Friend.”

She touched the intercom button to call Jean who had been up with Scott in the other room. The Professor thought it best if Hank, Jean, and a few others were near Wolverine incase he woke or there was complications. Scott did not leave the small room down the hall all night.
“He’s awake Jean.” Is all Ororo could get out before her tears engulfed her again.

“’Its not like I died or noth’n princess.” Croaks Logan who still held her hand. “So what happen’d while the ol’ canucklehead was down?”

“I hate when you call me that Logan.” Replies Ororo as Jean and Scott come into the room. Jean senses the feelings emanating from Ororo and Logan. Normally they keep those in check, hidden from the light of Jean’s telepathy, but every so often those feelings scream out to Jean they are so powerful. Sometimes it felt like natural elemental forces moving the earth. She had never asked either of them about their feelings for she felt like an intruder in their world.

“I see he is wake.” Answers Jean. “No going out for you little boy until you’ve rested for awhile.”

“Awe Ma do I have ta.” Logan playfully says as he winces slightly.

Ororo is the first to see it.

“You still are in pain Logan.” It was a statement more than a question.

“Slightly but I’m heal’n.” Gruffly speaks Logan letting his hand slide from Ororo’s.

“Logan as of now consider yourself on bed rest, no buts.” Replies Scott in a stern almost surreal voice. “And thanks.”
“Couldn’t have Jeannie cry’n her eyes out ya know.” Simply replies Logan.

“No we couldn’t.” Scott replies with a grin as he turns to head out.

Jean looked at the medical equipment and took the readings, she then smiled at both Storm and Wolverine before she left also.

“Ya never answer’d my question Princess?” Responds Logan. He only used that name to get a rise out of her. She knew that but he always seemed to get her flustered. Whether it was good or bad, she did not know.

“What was it again Old Friend?” She knew the question but she had avoided it for some reason.

“Anything happen’d while I was down?”

“Only Forge asked me to marry him last night.”

“Humph, good for you ‘Ro.” Logan said, his eyes showing the fire that was there now fading. “What did ya say?”

“I haven’t said anything yet Old Friend.”

“Ya need to be happy ‘Ro”

“I am now that you are better.” She places her hand on his once again, as Forge walks away from the observation window. He had been there only a few minutes but that is all he needed to see.

-Two hours later-

Forge was walking the halls of this monolithic institute thinking thoughts that puzzled him. He never really wanted to be part of the X-Men and had often wondered why his love needed to stay. She once said it was her family, she belonged here in the walls of wood and plaster. She once told him that she was needed and she needed them. Now though was she talking about needing one person, did that person keep her here?

He stalked the halls until he walked past Mystique, who was twirling like a little girl. She had been this way since Destiny died and she was brought here to Xavier’s for help.
As he walked away he heard her say..
“Remember what Destiny said about us Forge.”

He looked back at her one last time unsure what to make of it. That is when he saw the person he wanted to speak too, her name Jean Grey.

“Jean May I ask you a question?” Forge was nervous visibly as well as mentally. So much so Jean sensed it immediately. Sometimes she hated being a telepath.

“Yes Forge.” Jean replies, forcing a smile on her face.

“Have you seen Ororo?” Forge asked but knowing that wasn’t what he wanted to ask.

“No not since this morning.” Jean replied. Her thoughts were of seeing Storm and Logan together, between them their existed a bond that could be stronger than hers and Scott’s. She saw the joy in Ororo’s eyes when she came in to see Logan awake. She saw the dread in those same eyes when Logan was injured.

“Jean you’re her closest friend.” Forge continued, “ Do you think Ororo is in love with me?

Jean closes her eyes as she looks toward the floor. She didn’t want Forge to be hurt, but she couldn’t tell him what he wanted to hear. Ororo was a great woman, a great friend, and Jean knew what Ororo needed. Forge wasn’t that, Logan was.

“I don’t know.” Is all Jean could say. It was the truth. Up until yesterday she didn’t have a doubt but after seeing her around Logan, really seeing her with Logan she had doubts.

-Meanwhile still embracing the skies overhead, with winds whimsically whistling around, Ororo was herself thinking.

“Logan is alright and will be. He has been there when in counted but Forge has been there always. I could loss myself in Logan, I know this-Goddess I know, but Forge is earthbound. He would keep me level. I do love Forge, I do not know if I am in love with him. I can’t wait though for Logan. He is a force of nature as I am and perhaps that is way I..I love him so not only as a friend but more. I just do not want my heart handed to me like Betsy’s was. I know Logan no longer loves Jean as he did once, but has it been long enough for him since Mariko? I do not know if I could survive if Logan died and we were together. It hurt me so much as a friend when he was hurt yesterday. Forge is safe and I do love him, just not like Logan. Perhaps I can grow to love him more than before. Yes that is what I can do.”

-Twenty minutes later-

“Forge.” Calls out Ororo.

“Storm.” Replies Forge looking at her. He is holding a bag as he is walking toward the garage.

“What are you doing?” Ororo asks, bewilderment creeping in on her face.

“Storm. Before you say anything I have to say something. No matter what you will always be bound to this place, these X-Men…..

-Five minutes later Ororo falls to the ground, her tears fall like a river that has been released from a dam. “I was going to say yes.”

--Yeah I know sad but more will come and thank you for the reviews.





You must login () to review.