Blood and Sanity

The event was horrific, utterly horrific. It all seemed to enter in slow motion timed with each beat of the heart. Those that witnessed it could hardly believe it. Magneto had ripped the Adamantium from the bones of the man named Wolverine, which in turn caused Charles Xavier to shut down the mind of his long time friend. That was only moments ago now the X-Men are in the blackbird trying to stabilize their fallen comrade, the man called Wolverine.

“JEAN I NEED YOU TO HELP ME STABILIZE HIS MIND!” yells Xavier still taxed while using the Shi’ar body suit. “HENRY!”

“I AM TRYING PROFESSOR BUT HIS FATIALS ARE ERRATIC!” Screams the blue furred doctor of meta-lingual talents, Henry McCoy; The Beast.

The commotion, Logan can’t see it but seem to sense it. His body had been damaged, beyond what his Healing factor could take. His mind was threatening to shut down. He was going to die. NO! Logan would not allow the fairy man to take him. He still had so much to do, to make right. He had to tell Grimm he was sorry for harming him, his adopted daughter Amiko had to be told he loved her, Yuriko needed to know he respected her, Ororo….. Ororo had to know how he felt for her. He couldn’t leave things unsaid.

“PROFESSOR WE’RE LOSING HIM!” Screams Jean through her mind link with the professor.

Logan opens his eyes his scene has changed. It no longer was that of Avalon or the blackbird. He was laying on a beach, the sun warmly caressing his skin, the wind playing with his hair. He could hear laughter, her laughter.
“’Ro?”

“Hello old friend how are you?” The white haired woman named Ororo replied. She was a goddess to him, she was his great love, she was Storm.

“I don’t think I’m in Kansas anymore Ro dats for sure.” Logan answered. “I was hurt wasn’t I?”

A saddened face appears over Ororo, the clouds darken some. “Yes you were.”

“How did I get her then?” Logan replies as he walks over to her. He couldn’t help but not go to her.

“Do you remember this place Logan?” She asks quizzically. Her smile seemed to laugh away any sadness from his heart. It was like that when she came to help him through his time of mourning over Mariko.

Logan looked around and no longer were they both on the beach, now they were in a study. The study was that of Xavier’s and he remembered this place well. He came to read here at night when the place was quite. It was here one night that Ororo came in to see who was in there so late. She looked somewhat amused to see “A tale of two cities” in Logan’s hands. She decided to quote part of it to get his attention, though she suspected he already knew.

“It was the best of times, it was the worst of times, it was the age of wisdom, it was the age of foolishness, it was the epoch of belief, it was the epoch of incredulity…”

He continued the line without missing a beat…

“it was the season of Light, it was the season of Darkness, it was the spring of hope, it was the winter of despair, we had everything before us, we had nothing before us, we were all going direct to Heaven, we were all going direct the other way.”

“You always surprise me Logan.” Ororo says as she sits in the chair across from him.

“I like ta keep ya on your toes Ro.” Retorts Logan slipping back into his accent.

“I did not know you enjoyed Charles Dickens. What else do you like to do when no one is watching?” Ororo smiled and it astounded Logan. “What is your favorite line in the story?”

Logan looked up at her and grinned slightly as he simply replied….
“It would have ta be when Sydney Carton beseeching Lucie Manette ta have pity for him and ta hold him dear in her heart: “O Miss Manette, when the little picture of a happy father’s face looks up in yours, when you see your own bright beauty springing up anew at your feet think now and then that there is a man who would give his life, to keep a life you love beside you!”

Ororo looked at him with those blue eyes and his heart felt as though it would stop.

“JEAN, PROFESSOR HE’S SLIPPING!” Exclaims Hank McCoy

Again the scene changes and Logan finds himself in the green house near the mansion. He leans against a post watching Ororo take care of her flowers.

“You’re one of a kind Ro.”

“And so are you Old Friend.” The white-haired goddess of the Storm replies, her hands are dirty from tilling the dirt.

“I was wanting to know if ya were alright.” Logan asks, apprehension in his voice slightly.

“I am fine.” Ororo answers, she looks away for a moment.

“Ro I’ll gut him for ya if ya want?” SKIRT!

“No that will not be necessary Logan.” Storm answers her heart hurt but not as much as she thought. “Besides I could strike him down with lightning if I wished.”

“Ha!” Logan begins to laugh his throaty bellow and it is all but contagious. Ororo begins to laugh as well.

Then the winds pick up as if a hurricane has begun.

“WE HAVE DECOMPRESSION!” Screams Scott from the pilot seat

“You have to go back Wolverine. I’ll be there when your ready.” Ororo says as she gets up from the ground and walks over to Logan and kisses him. “They need you my Love.”

“JEAN!” Screams the Beast as the red-haired woman is falling out of the plane….

“I GOT YA JEANNIE!!” yells Logan, his bandages hanging, his hand holding Jean’s wrist outside of the Blackbird.

----During the weeks that it takes Logan the heal somewhat he is visited by Ororo, Jubilee, Kitty, Scott, Gambit and Jean. Mostly to see how he was doing, but every so often he and Ororo would take short walks around the grounds and talk for hours.

“Princess I have ta go and take care of some things. I don’t know how long I’ll be but I’ll be back.” Replies Logan one evening.

“You always come back Old Friend and I will be waiting.” Ororo replies.

“Ro.” Logan replies as he looks at her. She is beautiful in the moonlight.

“Yes”

“I….I…wanted to tell ya something.” Responds Logan as he studders over his words, he felt like a school boy with a crush.

“Yes dear friend.”

“When I was on the Blackbird I had something like dreams. They kept me sane through the pain.”

“Really Logan? What were the dreams about?” Ororo looked on him now with interests and apprehension.

“They were you.”





You must login () to review.