ENTER THE PHALANX

“I’m coming Professor,” Replies Logan answering the telepathic summons of Xavier, whom was on Muir Island.

“Looks like I’ll be coming back sooner than I really wanted to,” responds Logan as he walks into an old hangar. “I need da bird old friend.”

Logan walks toward an Indian named Harry who is working on an old C47 while listening to a song by Sinatra when his eyes open wide and says one word “Ro?”

--Meanwhile

Ororo knew something was wrong, she felt it in her very soul. She had heard something from the library and slowly moved toward the area, listening for anything. She raised her fist as lightning crackled, coursing in between her fingers as ozone filled the air. The door opens slightly as her blue eyes peer in ready for anything that may come her way.

“AAAGGGHHHHHHH!!!”

“Target Ororo Monroe codename Storm acquired.”

--Few Hours Later over Muir Island”

"Something's scanning us with high power stuff across the whole spectrum. But we probably aren't registering anything. We're so low-tech that the high-end stuff looks right through us. But whatever it is, it's burning out all my instruments. Whatever's down there is hairy to the max, Logan!" Harry yells back to Wolverine, who is preparing to leap out the side door of the old plane.

"But down there is where I gotta be, Harry! You can refuel in Scotland and scoot on home. Oh, and thanks for the lift!" Logan adds, as he leaps out into the rushing wind.

"The last time I jumped outta' a burnin' C47, it was over Normandy and the sky was full o' flak," Logan thinks to himself, as he free-falls. "But that's another story. Right now, somethin' that crawled outta a psycho's nightmare is doin' the backend creep on some o' my favorite people includin’ Ro. Time to pop silk."

The movement is fast as Logan freefalls a little more. He sees what appears to be techno-organic constructs below him. He knows he’s in the right place. “I’m comin’ Darlin!”

“Heads up, Circuit-Face!! The ol' Canuckle-Head is back in town, and there's the devil to pay!" Logan shouts, as his parachute opens and he pops his bone claws.


“Egon and Nkotha, deal with the other mutant anomalies! I'll handle this new one!" Larissa a sub-leader of the complex orders, as she extends her form up towards the descending Logan.

"You stick yer mug where it don't belong, it's gonna get ripped!" Logan shouts, as he slashes Larissa's face. Before she can blink, her head is in six separate pieces.
This doesn't even slow her down, however, and in seconds she has entwined Logan in several tentacles, as he stares in amazement at this new adversary.

"Charles told me this was gonna be a tough one." Logan thinks to himself. "I said, 'It ain't Magneto, is it?' He said, 'No.' I said, 'So what are ya' worried about?' Now, I know. Well I’m gonna get ta Ro. She’s here I know.”

"You are a blight on the surface of this planet, Mutant! A purely organic defect that Phalanx will soon correct!" Larissa tells him.

"You should talk about bein' defective, Lady, you're all over the place!" Logan replies, as he slashes with his bone claws at the tentacles entangling him.

As this is happening Scott and Jean come charging toward the complex that was once the Muir Island Facility where the Professor was supposed to be. They had just returned from their honeymoon, a twelve-year honeymoon to the future.

"Jean, do you see, it's Wolverine! I'm aiming high!!" Scott shouts, as he unleashes his optic blast.

"Scott! You shouldn't have said--" Jean falls silent, as Cyclops' blast hits low, just below Logan's feet, blasting him free of Larissa's tentacles.

"He was fakin' 'em out, Jean! That blast was low!" Logan shouts, even as he falls.

"You've got to watch it, Logan. You don't have your Adamantium any longer. That fall could have--" Jean says, as she catches Logan with a telekinetic cushion.

"Aw, Red, I had a feelin' you'd be ready with a psi-cushion. So, what's goin' down here? I got a mind blast from Charley to meet up with him on Muir Island. He almost seemed scared. Kinda' spooky," Logan explains.

"It seems you know more than we do. We came here to tell the Professor information concerning the Legacy Virus. All this was a shock to us. It's...it's good to see you again, Logan. You were missed," Jean tells him “Especially by Ororo.”

"Sorry, no time for reunions, folks. These Phalanx entities have insinuated themselves into the very structure of the Main Lab Building. We want to put as much distance as possible between us and them," Scott orders.

"You call the shots, Scott. It's been a long time since I was a team player." Logan replies, as they make for the far side of the island.

"Sorry about the weddin', Jean. I was--" Logan replies as the three enter the facility.

"Logan, your heart was there. That's what's important. It all seems so long ago," Jean tells him.

"S'funny you should say that, Darlin' it's like the light in yer eyes is a lot older. Like they been starin' at a lot more life than it's possible to see in the last few months..." Logan replies.

"It's harder to hide secrets from you than it is from a psi-talent, Logan." Jean tells him.

“How’s Ro?” Logan asks scanning the area, Scott at the lead.

“She has been fine Logan, but she did miss you. You should talk to her,” Jean responds.
“I think she’s---“ Suddenly, Egon and Nkotha burst upon the trio, interrupting further discussion.

"The trunk line! Good Lord, they traveled through the underground cable that connects this weather station to the main lab." Cyclops yells

VHATHOOM!!

The two Phalanx entities are blasted back from Scott, Jean and Logan before they can attack.

"What? Force beams!? Some sort of plasma weapon!? Who?" Scott asks, as he turns to find the source of their salvation.

"I thought I heard you mention my name as I was Body-Sliding in, or were you talking about another Cable?" Nathan asks Scott, as he stands on the hill above them with, still smoking, plasma rifles in each hand.

Several minutes later the Facility on Muir Island explodes, destroying everything within one hundred yards…

"Way to go, Bub!!" Logan shouts, as the huge Phalanx is blasted into several thousand tiny pieces.

"Scott, did you find out--?" Jean asks.

"I know where the X-Men are, Jean. They're on Chomo-Lungma." Scott replies.

"Gesundheit." Logan tells him.

"Mt. Everest, in Tibet Logan, eight miles above sea level. That info cost us. Moira must have written a fail-safe into the operating program. As soon as I processed the date, the self-destruct timer went active" Scott informs them.

“I’m comin’ Ro and heaven help them if dey hurt ya.”

---On the slopes of Mt. Everest within the citadel of the Phalanx deep inside held in bubbles that neutralize their powers Ororo stands facing the man named Hodge, once a lawyer for the friends of Humanity, now part of the techno advanced Phalanx. They are an offshoot of the Technarchy, a race of techno-organic alien beings bent on galactic conquest. They have evolved into a collective mind, although there are still traces of individualism, such as personal names. They are all linked to each other by a cybernetic system which is so advanced that it approaches telepathy, and can be accessed by telepaths.

“Do your worse monster for we will defeat you.” Scowls Ororo, defiance in her eyes-Logan would be proud.

“If you think so Mutant Bitch!” Cameron Hodge with all his pettiness and hate only sees a mutant who needs to be broken. There are not many atrocities he would not commit if it causes pain and disillusionment to his hated foes. “You ever see the movie “The Evil dead” you whore. I enjoy it wholly especially when the young blond gets raped by the tree.”

“STORM!” yells Bishop still imprisoned in his holding field as he watches powerlessly as they all hear Storm scream as if she has passed through a thousand hells. “DAMN YOU!”

Hours later a DC-3 flies through Tibetan airspace…..

"Who died and made you two pilots?!" Cable yells, as he and Logan are sent tumbling as their plane abruptly dives. "Are you both trying to get us all killed before we even get to the Phalanx Citadel?"

"Lay off 'em Bub! They're doin' all right without yer backseat drivin'." Logan tells him.

"Butt out, Logan!" Cable replies.

"No, you butt out! I've about had it with you, Cable!" Logan yells.

"The both of you had better lighten up, or I'm going to have to put psionic muzzles on you." Jean tells them from the cockpit.

"Cut us some slack, fellas. We've been piloting this antique with radar and instruments shut down ever since we entered Tibetan airspace." Scott adds.

"You think that's good enough to escape Phalanx's sensors?" Cable asks.

"They're not expecting anything as low-tech as this fifty year old DC-3." Jean replies.

"There it is." Scott says, as the plane exits from the clouds and they behold the massive Phalanx Citadel.

"Ugly ain't it?" Cable remarks.

"And big, too." Logan adds. “Okay ‘Ro I’m comin’ for ya so hold on Darlin’ I’ve been gone too long and I’m back.” The Wolverine thinks as he begins to growl.

Jean looks to Scott, her eyes expressing a thousand words of hope and fear. Scott turns to her a smile of reassurance on his face, as he knows what she fears. Above all else would their friends, their family be alright? Would Ororo be alright for Logan’s sake? He’d been through too much and it was obvious that he felt something for Ororo as she did him.

The sudden intrusion of twenty-six thousand pounds of steel and aluminum traveling at a terminal velocity exceeding three hundred miles per hour would be traumatic by itself. But the jettison cocks of the fuel tanks have been opened by psionic means to spill high-octane aviation fuel across the wing surfaces and fuselage. The result is volatile to say the least. The Citadel is rocked to it's foundation by the Kamikaze attack.

"Lang!! Where are you??" Hodge screams in the aftermath of the explosion.

"I am safe, Hodge." Lang tells him, as he steps forth from the flames holding Psylocke in his arms. When he was human, Lang recreated the sentinels from Trask’s plans.

"The mutants must be desperate if they are resorting to Kamikaze tactics. I must see to the reorganization of the collective for damage control, Lang.”

A thousand feet below the Citadel, on the unassailable North Face.

"You must have spent your whole Honeymoon practicing, Jean. To spot a two-foot-wide ledge from a speeding plane, half a mile away. And put us this close to it with one psi-blast." Cable compliments her.

"I was aiming for one a lot closer to the Citadel, Nathan." Jean replies, as Nathan pulls her up to more solid footing.

"You did fine, Jean. We're outside the range of their localized psi-scans. And, hopefully, outside the cone of their high-resolution directional sensors." Scott adds, as Nathan pulls him up.

"In other words, we're sneaking up on their blind side." Cable says.

----Meanwhile inside the complex

“Stormy? Ororo com’on chere open dem’ eyes for Gambit.” Replies Gambit. “Please be alright”
Gambit watched in horror as did all of the X-Men present as the beast called Hodge violated Ororo. He like Bishop, who now had his head down in shame, felt powerless. Storm had not moved at all since that attack, all she did was grip her fist and cry cursing Hodge and asking her Goddess why she allowed it to happen.

“Where are you Logan?” Ororo whispers.

---Thirty minutes has passed as the four mutants Cyclops, Jean Grey, Cable, and Wolverine has scaled the mountain face and entered the citadel each entering with a single thought and destination. It takes Logan only minutes to get to the captive X-Men as he unsheathes his claws and begins to tear at the bubble of Bishop.

“Damn I miss my Adamantium sometimes. My claws aren’t cuttin’ through,” states Logan

“Yeah but it punctured a hole,” replies Bishop.

Logan looks over at Ororo and sees her in a fetal position in her bubble. He knows something has happened as his heart and stomach fall. He runs over to her cage, looking at her. “Ro, Ro its me Logan.”

Ororo looks up, her eyes red and swollen, tear trails show her pain. Her uniform tells the tale all to well. He fights down his beast as his senses tell the tale.

“Logan.” Her voice quivers. “Is it you?”

“Yeah Darlin’ who did this to ya?” Logan could feel the animal in him swell.

“It be Hodge, Wolverine.” answers Gambit. His red on black eyes showing anger, sadness, hurt, shame.

“I’m gonna kill that Son of a Bitch!”

Hodge comes in after a few seconds, panic written on his face. He knows the X-Men are here but where?

“AAGGHHHHH!” Comes a scream from above him. He looks up to see where the roar came from. He only sees a foot kick him into the bubble containing Bishop.

“Your ass is MINE Hodge!” It was almost instantaneous as Bishop touches the Phalanx through the little hole that Logan had punctured. Hodge screams trying to tap into the power that is the Phalanx. All he succeeds in doing was killing the Phalanx world wide.

--Minutes later Logan is carrying Storm out of the citadel with the others close behind.

“STORM GET UP BABE!” Yells Logan. We need ya, I need ya. “FOCUS! KILL DEM” MOTHERFUCKERS!’”

Storms eyes fog over and thunder claps overhead. The winds pick up into the gale force of a Typhoon. Lightning crashes into the side of the mountain causing it to slide upon the citadel.

“Good Job Ororo!” screams Jean as she comes running up, then realizing what she was seeing. “Oh God.”

---so how was it?





You must login () to review.