Entr’acte: Three Can Keep a Secret

Sebastian sat back in his chair looking at the two men in front of him. They’d been discussing part of the terms of this project they wanted him to undertake with them. Before they could proceed with anything, there was the small matter of getting hands on certain documents. He had access to important documents that the man needed to complete the project.

He didn’t want anyone to go into the man’s house to steal the documents. He was adamant about this, stating that it would be obvious once the the project was made public. It wouldn’t be good for his former colleague to jeopardize what they hoped to accomplish with the “God’s Hand” project. He only wanted Sebastian to send in an assassin to get the man out of the way.

The man said he originally started the project with two other men. When they started testing their findings, the man’s other colleagues said the experiment was unethical, too dangerous. They said they couldn’t play God with the lives of others. The man disagreed, but he split ways with his colleagues, each taking what they contributed to the experiment as a parting gift.

The man tried to reproduce their findings, but without his colleagues’ documents, it proved useless. Not too long ago, one of his colleagues met with an “unfortunate accident,” and the man found himself the heir of his colleague’s documents. Now, there was only one piece of the puzzle left, and the man wanted his former colleague out of the way completely.

It made Sebastian think of an old Benjamin Franklin quote he’d read eons ago in business school. Three could keep a secret, if two were dead. He thought Franklin had been a smart man, and had used the advice of ol’ Ben time and time again”in the literal sense. Apparently, he wasn’t alone in practicing this philosophy.

The man had acquired a new colleague, a young, dark-haired man who Sebastian had tried to hire for his company years ago. He hadn’t been too successful, despite certain persuasion tactics. There was always a crusader in the bunch, the one who believed he would gain a sense of achievement through his accomplishments rather than by earning seven figures.

It seemed rather ridiculous for the man to part with his former colleagues, and then recruit another. Didn’t he fear that what happened before would happen again? But the man said his new partner had potential. Sebastian couldn’t dispute that fact. It was that potential that made him think of him as the one that got away. The things he could’ve done for Sebastian’s company, but that was a regret best left for another time.

The man told him that they would go in and procure the needed documents and clean up any unfortunate mess that may happen. Sebastian found this odd that they were willing to go in as a clean-up crew, just to get some documents”no matter how important they were. You were never supposed to put your hand in the cookie jar; you let others do it for you.

The man explained that his colleague had associates who might interfere. He had reason to believe his former colleague was working on his own version of “God’s Hand.” A million conflicting questions ran through Sebastian’s mind. He didn’t believe the man wanted his colleague dead because he might interfere. No, this was personal, and he was smart enough not to do it himself.

He wanted Ororo to do the job, specifically Ororo, even though Sebastian thought Victor was better suited for it. The two men didn’t seem to agree. “Sabretooth has far more experience than Storm does.” Sebastian said, drawing his fingers into a steeple. He ruled out naming any of his other assassins for the job because those two were the best of the best, and they wanted the best. However, he just didn’t know if Ororo was the one for the job.

“You think he’s going to let someone like Sabretooth get anywhere near him, if it comes to that. No, it has to be Storm. We would prefer that she not be detected, but if it can’t be help, she’d still have a better chance of getting close to the target because she is a woman. Besides, she doesn’t make the mess that Sabretooth does.”

Sebastian thought about that for a moment. It was true. Ororo was able to get in closer to a target, leaving little evidence she was ever there. Victor liked to do things the messy way. Blood, guts, severed limbs, those were the kind of things that Victor usually left behind, but he was capable of leaving a scene less messy on orders. Sometimes.

“We need this to go off without a hitch. We don’t need it to be apparent that he was murdered. We want them to believe that he was kidnapped or maybe he ran off with one of his whores. We want them to chase a useless lead. By the time they realized what’s happened, they’ll be too far off the path,” the younger man said.

“But if you’re going to go in and dispose of the evidence, anyway, why does it matter?” Sebastian asked.

“When a scene is particularly messy, it’s a lot harder to be sure that you’ve covered all your bases. Besides, given the miracles of modern technology, even if we did succeed in making the room appear spotless, there are still methods of detecting blood. Surely, you’ve heard of luminol, a chemical that reacts with the hydrogen peroxide in blood, even if it’s been cleaned.”

“Of course, I have.” Sebastian said indignantly. He wasn’t an idiot, and he didn’t care to be made out as one. “However, I am aware of the drawbacks of luminol, as well. Doesn’t it detect copper, some bleaches, and horseradish?”

The younger man said. “A man who’s done his homework, impressive. Do you really think they’ll give a goddamn if it’s blood or if it’s copper or horseradish? They’ll get a positive reaction. They’ll instantly think murder with or without testing it. Better safe than sorry.”

“We need a bloodless kill. We need it to be quick and calculative without incident. Storm can deliver that. She can get in and get out with less show than Victor could. After she’s done, we go in and take care of the rest.” The younger man said.

“Let me think about this.”

“What is there to think about? You don’t want this?” A verbal challenge seasoned with charming smile, faux-coyness hidden behind a viper’s smile. Who did he think he was fooling?

But he did want it, and the man across from him knew it.

”””

Author’s Notes: Sorry, it took so long to update again. Work drama kept me busy, too busy. I’m talking about serious Tempest was going to have to Tae Bo somebody’s ass. Then, I rewrote this chapter. And guess what I still don’t like it. Yay! So, sorry if it’s still a little disjointed because I keep changing things. I’m smoothing it out. The good stuff doesn’t start happening til chapter ten, anyway. ;) I forgot to add in the last chapter that “Man Size Sextet” is by PJ Harvey. Yes, I listen to a lot of angry girl rock. I don’t know what to do with myself.

And I made you lovlies at the realm wait longer for this update than those on ffnet, but the good news is that the next chapter is almost done, so your update will be sooner. And I do have a series of one-shot RoLo stories that I need to post, but they need a little work. This site will be the first to get them. Promise.





You must login () to review.