Secret Burdens

Chapter Twenty Five: Unburdened

"He thought he was the only one. He had no idea."

* * *

"Are you sure about this?" Logan's warm breath fluttered against her cheeks as she leveled him with a determined gaze. One hand grazed over her bare shoulder and up her neck, tender in its trace across her skin. His other hand rubbed soothing circles against the small of her back as he held her against him. They stood in the center of Ororo's bedroom, the wind filtering in softly through the open windows, the warm light of midday encasing the room.

She nodded, bringing her hands up to rest against his chest. "Yes. I need this." She swallowed nervously, but her eyes told him she would not falter now.

"There's no going back," he said lowly, his eyes dark on hers, his fingers warm against her skin.

Her lips quirked into an appreciative smile as she watched him, as he held her tenderly against him, as he touched her with careful and purposeful hands. "I know. But change is necessary in this world. And with you here, I am not afraid of it."

Logan's brows furrowed at her words and he cocked his head to look at her silently. His fingers continued to trace along her back and he reveled in the smoothness of her skin. He could already feel that tightening in his chest that came with her proximity.

She closed her eyes and sighed contentedly, arching slightly and unknowingly to his touch. Her hands smoothed against his chest and she felt his sharp intake of breath as he watched her. She couldn't help the mischievous smile that spread across her face in response. She opened her eyes to catch his gaze lingering on her mouth before trailing down her neck. She released a soft giggle and tugged her bottom lip between her teeth.

Logan sucked in a breath and locked eyes with her, narrowing his gaze and shaking his head. "You're dangerous, ya know that?" He licked his lips unconsciously, and wrapped his arm further around her back to pull her closer.

"I thought you liked a little danger, Wolverine." Her voice dropped lowly and breathlessly on his name and she leaned further into him, moving her lips against his in a teasing graze. He groaned at the light contact, his eyelids closing as he focused on the smell and feel and taste of her there. He opened his mouth and pushed toward her teasing lips only to find her pull back just out of reach, a playful laugh following her.

Logan growled and tightened his hand on the back of her neck, pulling her back against him impatiently and swiping his tongue along her lips. This time, it was her groan that sounded between them and she opened her mouth to his, sliding her hands up his chest and into his hair to hold him to her.

Her tongue was hot and wet against his and he instinctively pushed her back, stepping them closer to the bed behind her. He groaned as she nipped at his lips, a heated tremble shooting through him and he dug his fingers into her hip, gripping her body to curl tightly against his. He felt his need sudden and hot between them. He couldn't get enough of her.

When the backs of her calves hit the bed she was jolted back to the present and she pulled her mouth from his, blinking back her own haze of desire. "Logan, wait, wait." Her breath was quick and shaky between them and Logan was already moving his mouth back to hers greedily before he registered her words. She sighed against his warm lips, his slick tongue, one last time before breaking the kiss and holding a hand to his chest.

He blinked in heated confusion, his body wound tightly around hers, his desire urging him unconsciously closer to her. Her whisper of his name caught his attention and he pulled his searing gaze from her lips to her eyes. He swallowed thickly and willed his body to calm.

She always made it so damn hard.

Ororo smiled and laughed against him, her hands winding behind his neck as she spoke. "I still need you to do me that favor, Logan."

Logan groaned but pulled reluctantly back from her, keeping her loosely in his arms as he reined in his breathing. He closed his eyes and pulled in a few deep calming breathes, pulling them back to step away from the bed. She followed his movement seamlessly, still held lightly against him. Logan nodded silently, swallowing that primal need she spurred in him. When he opened his eyes she was still watching him. He leaned his forehead against hers and pulled his hands back to rest gently on her hips.

"Do you trust me?" Even as he said it, he couldn't help the soft tremor of his voice that told her exactly what it took of him to ask such a question. And he knew exactly what it took of her to answer.

She swallowed thickly, his words lighting the ache of recollection as she played in her mind that last time he asked her this. The last time he had questioned her trust. The last time he had asked for her openness. Something sharp resonated in her chest when she recalled her words that time, when she had admitted to trusting him with her life, as any X-Man would. But her heart she could not. There was something far-off and painful about the memory and her fingers tightened reflexively behind his neck.

Logan felt her tension and wrapped his arms around her back once more, moving his forehead from hers to watch her momentarily before he leaned in. His mouth was gentle and hesitant against hers this time, his lips only a hint of warmth as they shared breath, as they shared the tender ache of the moment. Her eyes fluttered closed and she sighed into his mouth, felt his fear and determination and sincerity in the simple warmth of his lips as they pressed against hers. And then it was gone. And he pulled back. And he waited.

Ororo blinked at him. She breathed in slowly as he held her steadily, without any demand, without any greed. His arms around her told her he didn't ask this for himself. His yielding touch told her he wasn't leaving. Her grin was shaky as she nodded, moving to press one more kiss to his mouth. "With all my heart," she breathed.

Logan felt her smile against his lips. It was the greatest thing he'd ever felt. Logan pulled back from her and felt the uncontrollable tug of his own grin. "Okay," he answered as he nodded.

He stepped around her and moved to stand behind her. They each looked up to catch the image of themselves in the mirror along the opposite wall. He rested one hand on her shoulder, the other held before him as the adamantium claws slowly extended from between his knuckles. Logan locked gazes with her in the mirror, still standing firm behind her. He quirked a brow and chuckled. "A mohawk, huh?"

Ororo blew a steadying breath from her lips and smiled devilishly. "I'm ready." She watched him as she said it, let the words wash over them in the warm room. Her body thrummed in excitement. Her eyes never left his.

I'm ready.

He thought he was the only one. He had no idea.

* * *

Author's Note: Sadly, this is the end for Secret Burdens. It's been a long and bumpy ride. And incredibly satisfying. I want to thank everyone that's made this journey with me. I really enjoyed writing this piece, and certainly hope you enjoyed reading it. Thanks for all your support and love, readers. And happy Rolo reading!





You must login () to review.