There was nothing like the feeling of freedom. The complete escape from the troubles that life had thrown her way recently. There was no doubt in her mind that she would have to return to the source of her conflict, but for now a little peace from the upheaval that had become her existence was all she was after.

The drive north from New York had helped to calm her taut nerves. Even though snow still covered the roads, she was more than a capable driver. And seeing as how she was in no hurry, but wanting to enjoy life as a welcome change, the normally less than ideal driving conditions, proved not to be a hindrance to her.

The scenery was breathtaking. The trees were still covered with ice upon bare limbs, giving them the effect of glistening lights. Fir trees dressed in their best winter finery. And the ground was unmarred by any disturbance in the abundant snow.

The back route she had chosen to travel, because of its seclusion, had shown her few fellow travelers or buildings, once she had crossed over the Canadian border. The address Charles had written down for her with directions to the hidden cabin was still on the passenger seat beside her, as she glanced at it for her progress every now and again.

The small community she was seeking should be in sight soon. The sun was still high in the sky so she would have enough time to buy the few provisions she was still lacking before heading out to her final destination.

So far all would be perfect if not for the reason for her surreptitious exodus. As with a lot of things involving a woman, the reason was a man. Not just any man. The most arrogant, infuriating, reckless, macho, intelligent, honorable, eye-pleasing man on the planet. With all the adjectives used to describe such a person amazingly, insensitive was not a part of the roster. But with all of his heightened senses, no way was he that. He had proven himself to be immensely considerate of her in all ways and truth be told that was just more salt in her wound. Not that she didn't want a man that wasn't considerate of her, but her own depth of feeling for him would not allow her to negate his own welfare for her sake. Life was truly a bitch sometimes.

Rounding the bend just past the last road marker, the quaint town came into view. From the last posting it housed a populace of four hundred ninety-six.

The main street was truly just that. There were no thriving businesses beyond straight eyesight. It was obvious not much had been done to make improvements on the town in quite some time. Maybe that just added to its charm.

Finding the gerneral store was one of the easiest things she had had to do in a long time. She pulled to a stop directly in front of the entrance steps.

Walking inside made her feel as if she had traveled back in time to the old west. It served as the community mercantile as well as a small deli. The oiled floor boards with the hanging animal trophy heads, pickle barrels and butter churns, made the place appear older than it actually was. Almost anything the residents would need was housed within this place. She silently thanked Charles for knowing her so well as to want to make her supply stop as expedient as possible, so that she could quickly get to the solitude she so desperately wanted.

With few words to the shop keeper, a kind smile and nod to the only other shoppers in the store, who couldn't help their constant sideways gawks at the beautiful stranger, in no time at all her purchases were made, with two unexpected extravagances and she was back on the road, heading toward her self imposed isolation. Charles had told her it was way out of the way, but just what the doctor ordered.

Ororo drove out of town, her mind now relishing the serenity that was finally settling down upon her. Her thoughts taking her back to a time shen she could see the smiles on the faces of a man and woman as they held out their arms for her to run to them. The lilting voice of the beautiful woman as she sang her a song in her native tongue. The man setting up a camera to photograph the tiny family before a mountain in the hot sun. Then abruptly all memories changed to hearing the loud roaring of a plane. Air passages closing shut due to the choking dust. Such a tight confinement unable to move or see through the pitch darkness. The warm body next to her that held her hand, now cold and hand slack. The tears that flowed down her cheeks, as hair that was once snow white, was now matted and turned a dark grey.

Faintly from the corner of her left eye she caught the rapid movement a moment too late. This time instead of the loud noise, dust and darkness, a silent ice slide accompanied by snow blindness, paved her way to oblivion. Her hair not white covered in grey dust, but becoming a bright crimson. No tears of a frightened child this time, but the weariness of eyes that needed to close in rest.





You must login () to review.