Logan's long stride and urgent desire to put distance between himself and the weather witch had gotten him more than half a mile away from her before his steps halted. What the hell was he doing leaving the woman alone on the mountain trail and for all means and purposes powerless. Sometimes he could kick his own ass for being; well. . .an ass. Recently he had become headstrong and self preserving of his own feelings.

A quick turn on his heel and he was headed back to eat crow and face the unexpected object of his newfound desire. Damn it sucked to be him most days.

Ororo's unease was growing with each step she took. The peace and contentment she had found, had gone by the wayside, with the departure of Logan and their impromptu spat. The hairs at the back of her neck were raised with the tenseness of her rapidly fraying nerves. Maybe it would be wise to simply turn back and follow after Logan and the way they had come.

The sudden snap of a branch made her abruptly stop and turn seeking the source of the sound.

Nothing. Silence was once again her company.

Of all things now her imagination was starting to play tricks on her. Another thing she didn't need in her life right then.

Burying her face in her hands and taking a deep breath she steeled her nerves. Taking a look around to assuage her mind, she relented and decided to turn back.

Following her own tracks back, she was more aware of her surroundings this time. Anxiety was her new companion.

Another sound of heavy footsteps and a twig breaking behind her, brought her up short.

Slowly she scanned the area looking for any other sign of life.

"Logan," a timid shout. No response.

She turned to quicken her pace back to the cabin.

Too late. The hair on the back of her neck moved with warm breath. She turned again coming face to face with that of a man, or what at least appeared to be as close to a man as she could imagine it to be.

Eyes yellow and bloodshot met her own. Most of its face was covered in long gnarled hair. Fangs were in place of its eye-teeth. The same brownish blond hair covered its massive form. its forearms were long and huge, disproportionate to its body. Oddly tattered clothing hung from its shoulders, with shredded pants covering its lower half to its knees. No way a pair of shoes could ever cover its large bare feet.

Swiftly one clawed hand swept backwards, connecting with her jaw and sending her painfully to the ground some feet away. Now on her side Ororo felt her eyes sting and what had to be a surge of adrenaline rush through her body, though she was bathed in fear. An alien power was surfacing filling the air with static electricity as the hairs on her entire body lifted skyward.

Tumultuous wind began to swirl around her and the violent creature, who now loomed over her fallen form.

"Pl--ea-se" she stammered, "what do you want. What are you?" she yelled over the loud winds, the words came shakily even though she sensed the ability to defend herself without realizing how or why.

Her only answer was to be lifted from the ground by her neck in a single hand. Her feet dangled inches from the earth as the creature sniffed her from ear to shoulder. Ororo held on with both hands to its forearm struggling for air. The hair covering its body lifted on contact.

"Not right - - not right," she thought she heard the words gruffly snarled past its fangs.

"Pl. . . ease," she gasped out as best she could. Her feet now lifted higher from the ground. Her eyes felt as though they were on fire, while her body tensed with an unknown static sensation. From what felt like the center of her being electricity burst forth surrounding her and the creature in its torrent a second before it released her.

Her ears ached as it screamed in pain. Burning hair permeated the air.

Ororo felt no ill effects from the surge, only the pressure and rawness of having her throat crushed, as she now heaved in great gulps of air.

"Storm," the bellow of her name drew her attention to the path she had been following.

In what seemed a giant bound, Logan was swiftly crouching at her side. His eyes raking over her shaking body assessing her condition, while he simultaneously sniffed the air.

The roar that escaped his throat as he stood, instinctually tracking her assailant, shook Ororo to her core. Though weakened, she quickly grasped his wrist before he was able to tear off after the creature.

"No. . . Lo - gan, wait. . . ple-ase! Don't le-ave me," she implored him through the burning pain as her body began to tremble.

Calming himself in increments and learned deep breathing, Logan slowly acquiesced. "It's alright darlin; I won't leave ya. . . again. I'm here, I'm here," he said, bending to hold her and gently stroke her shoulders. The war within him quelled a lot less quickly. He wanted to tear off after the motherfucker that had attacked her, while the scent was still fresh and it was still possibly near. But common sense overruled his own temper, taking care of Ro was the more immediate need. And it looked as if she was going into shock.

Helping her to her feet, he refused to let her go, "Come on darlin, let's get you back to the cabin," his eyes ever vigilant on her as well as his senses on high alert to their environment.

She leaned upon him not realizing the extent of her weakened condition both from the attack and the sudden use of power she had no idea she harbored. She had so many questions, but it was too painful to talk.

As soon as she took her first step strong arms captured her before she fell into welcome darkness.

Logan was growing exponentially impatient sitting outside the examination room. It hadn't been very long in actuality, but any time passing not knowing was too much.

Guilt was eating at him, right along side of anger at himself for leaving the woman who lay inside the room.

As soon as the door opened he was on his feet.

The physician with the twinkle in his eyes neared him. "I take it you are Mr. Logan."

"Logan is all, how's Ro?" he said anxiously, but still exuding his surly attitude.

"She's fine, I am Doctor Colsen. I have treated the young lady before and then as now, it all seems worse than it is. She is suffering from shock and her throat will ache for a while, so I suggest as little talking as possible till it heals. The bruising on her face should heal soon I'm sure given her recuperative capabilities. Care to tell me your version of what happened?" He had heard little from Ororo and didn't want her to speak.

"She was attacked in the mountains. Don't know by who or why," he answered, "Is it alright for me to see her now?" Logan spoke more than a little impatiently and more than a bit gruff, peering over the doctors shoulder into the room.

Doc Colsen seemed to be studying him with wary eyes, "Sure, she is free to go, but I am sure Sheriff Moulier would like to question her. You did plan on reporting this to the authorities did you not?."

Logan stiffened at the mention of the sheriff and just huffed, "Yeah" before entering through the door to see Ororo, who was now sitting along the side of the bed. He sensed the doctors uneasiness as to whether or not he had harmed her. He didn't give a rats ass about trying to convince him otherwise.

"Logan the nurse will bring her papers to sign before you go," Doc Colsen informed him from the door.

Logan didn't spare him another glance. His attention was for the woman now looking at him with doe like eyes.

He cleared his throat, "Ya alright darlin?"

She shook her head slowly up and down. Her hand went to her throat as she tried to speak, "Saaii-d did not want to come he-re," she rasped, swallowing painfully.

"Shhhhh don't talk, ya needed ta be checked darlin."

"You ca--n't get me to sh--ut up. . . so ea--sy,"

She looked away from him as she remembered what had transpired between them.

He knew where her mind had gone. "Look Ro, I'm sorry fer leavin ya like that, I don't know why I do the shit I do sometimes, but I'm here now and I'm gonna look after ya."

Unable to talk without the pain she gave him a nod.

An awkward moment of uneasy silence filled the room.

Logan ran a hand through his hair, as Ororo held onto the side of the bed with both hands while looking at her feet and the floor, remembering not being able to touch the ground from earlier.

"Uh. . .I'm gonna see what's taking so long with yer release."

Before she could raise her eyes or try to respond Logan was out the door making his way to the nurses station. Though he was never known for his patience, this time he felt better about leaving her alone, just for a minute to give them both a moment to catch their breath and ease the nervousness in the air between them.

Just as his luck would have it, the nurse having left after finishing the release consult, the door burst open with the entrance of an irate looking Steffan, who shot daggers at him before rushing to Ororo's side cradling her hand.

"Are you alright, can you tell me who did this to you," he fired off, while looking her over from head to toe.

"She's ta give her voice a rest bub and she damn sure don't need ya pawing her," Logan spoke with a low growl, watching the good sheriff's too familiar attention.

"Afraid of what she has to tell me about how she ended up here, bruised and battered you sorry son-of-a-bitch!"

With blinding speed the sheriff was pinned against the far wall. An instrument stand and IV pole had been sent flying. The mounted blood pressure cuff stabbed Steffan in the back, while the snarling Wolverine pressed him harder with a death grip on his collar.

"Lo--gan!" Ororo whispered in her attempt to yell, but his ears still heard her.

"Get your damn hands off of me!"

"Plea--se. . .Lo--gan, do not."

The door was once again abruptly opened, this time with two orderlies and a nurse in tow.

The slim nurse was the first to speak, "What is going on in here, Chauncey please get security."

The heavier of the two orderlies took a few steps backward towards the door.

"Pl--ease," Ororo rasped again, still holding her throat, "that will--not be ne-ce--sary."

The nurse looked at the disturbed room and the two men still glaring at one another. "We do not abide this type of behavior, this is a hospital. . ."

"We are sorr--ee, pl-ase, we are leav-ing."

The other of the two orderlies found his voice, peering at the sheriff, "Constable?"

Steffan gave Logan a hearty shove that barely moved the solid pissed off mutant, rotated his shoulders and tugged on his uniform shirt.

"Everything is under control, I can assure you there will be no further incidents. . . here." he snarled. Turning to Ororo his voice was much calmer, "I will need you to come to the station. This is going to require an investigation and I will need you to write a statement containing as much information as you can give concerning your," he turned to glare a Logan, who in turn flashed his canines, "attack."

Grateful to see Logan back away from Steffan, Ororo nodded her head, accepting Steffans arm of assistance with pleading eyes to Logan, before heading out of the room.

Still coming down from his angry outburst, Logan sauntered past the orderlies to slowly follow them to the station. How dare that slimy motherfucker accuse him of ever harming Ro.


Back at the cabin Logan promptly put Ororo to bed with the offering of a hot cup of herbal tea on her bedside table. Not willing to have her out of his line of sight he left her bedroom door open as he paced back and forth on the phone to Charles, relating the attack.

"So you have no idea as to why she was attacked Logan."

"Nah Chuck, if anything the Sheriff," Logan had to swallow after saying that word, "and I are kinda hoping it was an isolated incident and not something on going or focused on her."

"In any case Logan, I'm sure now that her powers have manifest she is going to have any number of questions. I still believe being there will provide less of a shock and a more peaceful transition, that returning to the demanding atmosphere of the school. And barring all thought that it was a purposeful attack, I have no doubt as to you ability to handle the situation."

"I'm all over it Chuck." with now further words, Logan ended the call and walked the distance to the door of the room in which a medicated Storm slept. Hanging ten from the top or the doorframe Logan watched the rise and fall of each breath Storm took. Long dark lashes dusted her high cheeks, her hair spread out creating a snow halo about her head and shoulders. Her mouth unfortunately was a thin line of tension probably due to the soreness of her throat. He wanted to soothe the hurt from her, make it his own if he could so she wouldn't have to suffer it. He knew it wasn't possible, just an empty desire, but he could keep any harm from befalling her again. That was within his power and he was determined to do just that.

For now he leaned his back against the door and crossed his arms over his chest and just watched. Watched the most beautiful sight his eyes had ever seen on the bed asleep and unaware that her own personal sentinel didn't even dare to blink.





You must login () to review.