The constant beeping in her right ear had been her companion, hindering her from sleeping restfully for as long as she could recall. Her arm seemed to be being pinched non-stop and she had a headache from hell.

All in all life couldn't be that great for her so she had determined to just keep her eyes shut till it all just went away.

"Ma'am can you hear me? Ma'am, Miss. Can you open your eyes?"

She wanted to tell the intruding voice that she knew was calling to her, to leave her alone to her interrupted peace. But that would be the cowards way out and she wasn't a coward, was she?.

Okay, she decided to give the masculine voice the minimal response and maybe with a bit of luck he would go away. "Mmmmm." That oughta do it.

"She's coming around, did you hear that?"

"Steffan I think you're hallucinating. This woman hasn't said anything for more'n a week."

"I know what I heard Phil." The man in the police uniform said to the younger man on the other side of the hospital bed, as he gave him the most incredulous look he could. "This here young lady has to be a fighter to come through what she did. She's just allowing her body to do the healing like doc Colsen said. She's coming to and then hopefully we'll have some answers to help her out."

How in the world were they going to help her out? Where was she and why had she not said anything for more'n a week? What was going on...and who...who was she? Her brows furrowed with the effort of trying to come up with the answer to her own questions.

Oh hell, she had no choice but to open her eyes and face the voices that had barged into her own private hell to get her out of the new one she now found herself in. A hell of the not knowing, the not remembering.

Slowly and painstakingly she opened her eyes to the light that chased away the darkness that had enshrouded her. It was too bright causing her to blink till she could focus reasonably. Two blurry images now came into view, showing themselves to be the authorities by the badges and uniforms they wore.

The first voice she had heard, now spoke again, this time she had a face to put with the accented baritone.

"Ma'am can you hear me? I'm constable Steffan Moulier, this is deputy Phillipe Genaub. You've given us quite a turn little lady. The doctors here have no idea as to who you are. Can you tell us your name?"

Ororo looked into the eyes of the handsome officer. His eyes were the deepest blue, and held her transfixed for a jarring second. He stood about six foot four, with dirty blond hair pulled back into a neat ponytail. His shoulders were about as broad as he was tall. Frequent exercise was apparent with the mans toned physique. He fidgeted with the uniform hat he held in both hands, as he too seemed mesmerized by seeing the sky blue eyes of the woman laying before him. She could not miss his quick intake of breath at seeing her beautiful eyes finally open.

"Phil go get the doc, I think he needs to know this young lady is awake before we continue."

Phil, who had now rounded the bed and stood next to the constables side, seemed frozen to the spot, as he too took in the beauty before him. Steffan gave him a jab in the ribs with his elbow, just as he reluctantly snapped his awe struck jaw shut, dropped his head and ambled his too lean frame off in search of the doctor.

"The doc will be right with you I'm sure ma'am. He's been mighty curious as to any information you can give him to aid in helping you out." Still looking at her, he now shyly cleared his throat and looked to the door then nervously around the room.

With as much strength as she could muster, Ororo garbled a tiny whisper while reaching out and taking the officers hand, the IV that was taped to her arm, now evidence of the painful pinch, "Wh...whe...where am I?" Her voice sounded alien to her ears.

"Well, well, it's good to see our sleeping beauty has awakened.", said a new voice, as it entered the room, from the male form wearing a white lab coat and carrying a chart.

The officer reluctantly moved his hand from her grasp as if he had been caught with it in the cookie jar. The doctor's eyes noticed the action, as he entered the room with the deputy, but kept silent. He reminded Ororo of what Santa Claus must look like. His personality was infectiously jovial. The chart he had in his hand now gained his attention.

The room grew quiet as if awaiting a verdict till he was done perusing the three papers that held his interest.

"First off let me tell you, you have suffered a concussion, with a large laceration to the left side of you head. The blood loss made it look a lot worse than it actually was. Miraculously there were no broken bones, just a sprain to you right ankle and numerous bruises to your ribs and legs. All in all you have an amazing healing capability. Much faster than I have ever seen before. And your body temperature is quite elevated, but there seems to be no adverse effects to you with that unusual occurrence." With this said he gave her a pointed stare.

Ororo remained unmoved by his words. She was more interested in more pressing issues running through her mind.

He stepped forward to shine an intrusive light into both of her sensitive eyes. "Do you have any idea why you were traveling to the address deputy Genuab found in your vehicle?", he asked.

"I...I...,am sor-ry. I can not im-a-gine who I am...or...or where I was going or...what has hap-pened." Tears started to form at the corners of her eyes.

Outside the bright sunshine immediately became overcast with clouds. Faint rumblings of thunder could be heard.

"Please calm yourself miss. We don't mean to upset you." Doc Colsen spoke again. Phil held on to his hat, as he looked around and up at the ceiling as the room darkened slightly and the thunder rumbled. "It's just you are quite the mystery. Perhaps some answers to you would be in order. You are in the Canadian Rockies. Apparently on your way to this isolated address," the officer handed her a rumpled piece of paper with a strange address on it, "you had an accident that caused you to slide off the road, down an embankment and into some boulders in the midst of some trees."

"It was a good thing ol' Phil here was on his way back to town. He found you slid off the road as you were and got you immediate medical attention. Couldn't have been more'n fifteen minutes past your accident. We also found the elk tracks, a telling sign that you must have swerved to miss their crossing.", added the constable.

Phil seemed to have grown a little taller as the the officer explained his part in her rescue. A smile lighting his face.

Doc Colsen chimed in once again, "Is there anything you can tell us about yourself? Ed at the mercantile said you paid cash for your items, and we still don't have a name to go with such a beautiful lady. Would be a shame to just keep using titles, and we need to contact your family...if we might."

The tears welling in her eyes now slid down to pool in her ears.

Automatically Steffan reached out to grasp her hand in comfort.

"Please...I don't know what my name is...or why I was traveling here." Her voice was breaking down with the weight of her situation. "I can't remember anything, but...here...and now." She closed her eyes and turned her head away from them as the tears flowed past her thick lashes.

A sudden downpour started outside. Unusual weather for the time of year.

"There, there miss, you just rest, there is ample time for us to find out the answers we all need. Don't trouble yourself. We've already gotten the VIN registration number looked up. Next time we come we should have some information for you, that is if you haven't remembered it by then." Constable Moulier gave her a brilliant even toothed smile. "Come on Phil, we should let her get some more rest."

"Later Ma'am.", Phil said, tipping his hat to her, as he placed it on his head following the officers lead out the door.

"A nurse will be in to take your vitals in a moment, but something tells me outside of your loss of memory, she will find everything is remarkably good. I too will return later, you get some sleep now." The doctor tucked the chart under his arm, as he too took his leave.

Ororo was grateful for the aloneness. Being awake was proving way too much. She wanted to know just who she was, but then again fear gripped her in breathtaking agony. Maybe she didn't want to know after all. Was she escaping from something or someone?


Tokyo was proving too crowded and loud for the man who loved his solitude. Strangely enough he could speak the language fluently,though he didn't know where or when he had learned it. The entire culture seemed to draw him in and he was adeptly comfortable with it. But Tokyo's population and activity was a little more than he had bargained for.

So far his travels all over the Japanese provinces had proven fruitless. Still he had no idea as to when he had been here or why he held a creased, fading photo of himself with a beautiful demure woman, holding hands and smiling for the camera. Faintly the name on the back read James and Mariko.

It meant nothing to him. He was simply Logan and something about the shy smile upon the woman's face clutched at his heart and her seemingly loose hand hold to his own made him of all things, suspiciously angry. Still he had come searching for answers, the need to know, overwhelming.

Having little to no memory was really a pain in the ass.

He had left Westchester to free himself of the pain of one love lost, in the extraordinary red headed, emerald eyed beauty of Jean Grey, now Jean Summers and still could not find peace for his broken and confused heart and mind.

Was this the way he was going to spend the rest of his days, chasing down unfamiliar relationships and pining after unrequited loves. Enough was enough already. It was time to take his head out of the sand and move on. Whatever was meant to be, would be.

Five weeks absence from the X-men, the students and the mansion had amazingly made him anxious to return. When the hell had he put down roots with a bunch of pansy assed, snot nosed people, who had wormed their way into his heart as the only family he had ever known.

Some serious self evaluation was due on his part to help him figure out how he was going to kick his own ass. He was still the Wolverine and life was just fine on his own. What in the world was he thinking, him making commitments.

Though Japan as familiar to him, it wasn't home and he still needed peace before jumping back into the battle with the X-men, facing the the children and Xavier at the mansion. And if he was totally honest with himself, coming back into contact with the now newly married Mr. and Mrs. Summers.

Yeah, it was decided, Westchester could wait. Something even more comforting was singing to his aching soul.

A downright confident smirk graced the corner of one side of his mouth. Taking the time to light a cigar, he grabbed the handle of his designer duffle, another reminder of just how far he had come from himself, but hey it was a gift, and at the time he couldn't stand to hurt the givers feelings. Damn! With a heavy sigh he turned and headed out the door.





You must login () to review.