Author's Chapter Notes:
Wish I owned them, alas I don't. Please Marvel don't be mad at me, just let me play with them for a while and don't sue me, I think they are great, (big puppy dog face)
"Are you sure you are comfortable enough, I could..."

"I assure you I am well taken care of thanks to you."

The shy smile that played upon the sheriffs face as he drove Ororo to the address found in her car, helped lighten her own apprehensions. Her only form of transportation would be quite some time getting repaired, if at all according to the only town mechanic, so the sheriff was all but too glad to be of assistance to the beautiful stranger.

She was newly discharged and was still no closer to having any personal information about herself, as she had been during her entire week and a half hospital stay. Outside of her obvious amnesia, all of her physical ailments had healed.

"This address you were traveling to is really isolated, off the beaten path. Actually I had to go in search of the place before bringing you, the post doesn't even stop there, only at a box in town. You could have a tendency to get awful lonesome up there. Are you sure you wouldn't rather stay in town?"

She couldn't help the warmth that crept over her, at his concern for her a complete stranger, even though he had come to the hospital everyday, albeit to see if she had any new information for him.

He had told her the VIN was registered to a Moira MacTaggert, whose residence was a Muir island in Scotland. So far he had not been able to reach her, as she was on an extended vacation, with no further information available.

"I am sure I will be fine. You really shouldn't have replaced the grocery items you said I lost in the accident," she said, glancing back at the bags of grocery's in the backseat, "I wish you would let me repay you."

"It was nothing really, Can't let you think folks around here are not neighborly, in case you decide you might like to stay." nervously he cleared his throat and focused on the road.

She let the hopeful statement linger in the air with no response as she once again looked out the window at the wonderful scenery, nothing of if jarred her memory.

They rode in silence for awhile. Sheriff Moulier became suddenly restless in the drivers seat.

"Is everything alright, have you been driving too long, I would be happy to take over if you just give me the directions as to where..."

"No, no ma'am, it's just...well we are coming up on where Phil found you, your accident sight."

"Oh. Do you mind if we stop? Maybe something will stir my memory if I can see it for myself."

"Are you sure you want to do that? There is nothing there now, just a few downed limbs, the evidence of your accident has long since been covered over with fresh snow."

Ororo thought for a moment, wondering if it would do any good to see the sight that put her in the state she now found herself in. "You're right, it's probably pointless to look at something that only caused me apparent harm." She turned sideways in the seat to look at him. He really was very extraordinarily handsome. His hair was down now and hung to his shoulders, tucked behind his ears. Though he was concentrating on the road he kept stealing sidelong glances at her. She smiled. "Thank you. I really mean it. You have made this," she threw her hands up in the air slightly, "whole situation bearable for me. I really don't know how I will ever be able to repay you."

"I can think of one way."

She raised one shapely brow.

He laughed as he looked at her reaction to his statement, as he hurriedly finished it, "You could go to dinner with me sometime."

"I have a better deal for you. I'm not sure, but something tells me I am quite efficient in the kitchen. How about you let me cook you dinner. If I have the facilities and if it's bad you can spare my feelings and tell me how it's the best meal you have had in a long time." She was full on grinning.

"I'd say you have yourself a deal. If it tastes like mud and is tough as shoe leather, I'll choke it down."

They both found themselves laughing and talking amiably for the duration of the ride. They had long since passed the sight of her accident and neither of them had spared it a look.


For nearly an hour, Ororo found herself in the sturdy cabin. It consisted of two buildings, a shed that seemed to double as a small garage and the main house. The large bluff upon which it sat at the base of one mountain surrounded by the majestic Rockies afforded her a magnificent view. The trees that lined the rough drive made it nearly impossible to find. It was clear it was going to be easy to find the peace she needed to soothe her troubled mind and soul. Now only if her new dwelling could offer her the answers her new found amnesia hid from her.

The cabin was actually very lovely. Not in the frilly feminine sense, but it was comfortable and tastefully done. The front door opening into a large great room with a well equipped kitchen. Almost an entire wall consisted of large windows, with thick glass patio doors, no doubt to still be able to enjoy the view while inside. Two large fireplaces, one in the living area and one in the kitchen made the room more than cozy. Two bedrooms, one with its own bath while the other had access from the hall as well as the bedroom, were well appointed, though both leaned toward the masculine in decor. The master bedroom boasted glass patio doors as well, that opened to the east, facing the bluffs fenced in outcropping, allowing an even more glorious view than the large windows in the great room. All the furnishings were comfortable, mostly overstuffed leather, but the few knickknacks about the place had a decided oriental flair. She thought this a little odd considering Steffan had told her the area had a very strong French heritage.

Speaking of the sheriff, he had grudgingly left her after bringing in the her items from the car. Before leaving he made sure she had working cell phone service, to assure himself that she had some contact if necessary to the outside world. At least that was what he had said. Happy to know she would call him once she got settled in and would set up the dinner date from there, he drove away, at least a little appeased.

All in all it was easy for her to decide the solace of this place had to hold the answer as to why she was coming here. What would make her need to escape to such a lonesome, isolated place, albeit one of the loveliest places on the earth she was possitive.

The hour was still early so she took the time to settle in to the smaller of the bedrooms, not at ease enough to take what was obviously someone else's bedroom, and started to do what little sprucing up of the place that was needed. Once she commenced working, she was like a little whirlwind getting it all done quickly till the last rooms left were the master bedroom and bath.

Almost shyly she entered the room. There really wasn't much to do in the bedroom after freshening up the bathroom as the one before besides dusting and changing the king-sized bed linens, just in case she changed her mind in her choice of rooms, the eastern view was temptingly breathtaking. The bedside table held the only picture frame she had seen in the entire house. Maybe she had found her first and only clue as to why she was here and who she was.

Her heart seemed to stop as she held her breath and looked at the lone photo. There were numerous subjects surrounding a wheelchair bound bald man, in various forms of costumes, while the bald man wore a grey suit as they all stood and sat before an elegant mansion. She had to blink her eyes as she noticed the figure sitting next to the mans left hand.

There smiling back at her was the image of herself. Shocking white hair and beautiful blue eyes, dressed in a daring black leather costume. Her free hand came up to cover the silent gasp from her lips. Her mind went into overdrive.

Who were these people and why was she with them? Was it due to some elaborate Halloween party that they all were dressed so, with the varying ages of the photos subjects. Each one of them seemed unusually beautiful.

Slowly she eyed each and every one hoping to remember something, anything.

Nothing.

The idea hit her, if this photo existed here, maybe, just maybe there were others. With her conscience weighing heavy for what she was about to do, she opened the table drawer.

Bingo! Inside were three more framed photos. Amazingly she was in every one. One photo was of her with an emerald eyed, red headed beauty, linked arm in arm in swimsuits poolside, smiling seductively for the camera. Another was of her and an impossibly muscular man, with wild hair and a seemingly grouchy attitude in that he wasn't smiling, with the bald man having a picnic near a gazebo with the same mansion in the background. The last one was of her with her arms folded under her chest, back postured to a blue furred man, obviously still in costume and in the same pose, as the grumpy man looked on in the background with a cigar hanging from his lips and a lopsided grin gracing his face. The beautiful red head seemed to be trying to reason with her, while a man wearing red lenses tried to reason with the blue costumed man. The grumpy man stood out to her as if he was caught in the picture as he was leaning against a tree and just happened to be privy to the conflict. Something said that the man was enjoying the seeming upheaval. But what was it and why?

All of these people were evidently a major part of her life, yet she couldn't remember how. Looking at the blue man her heart tripped, but still nothing.

Who would put these pictures here, and why did she now find herself here? Instead of answers, more questions arose with her snooping. Unable to put the photos away she took them with her as she went in search of the headache medicine Dr. Colsen had given her, knowing she would likely suffer from them for sometime to come.

Everything was proving to be just too much. The not knowing, the alien home, the strangers in the photos and even the kindness of the sheriff. She just wanted to cry. But something told her that giving into feminine temperment wasn't part of her makeup. Instead she found herself doing the next best thing, once again she lay upon the bed and shut out the world as she closed her eyes, hoping this time her subconscious dream state would give her the answers she so desperately wanted.





You must login () to review.