Author's Chapter Notes:
Same as always they aren't mine so please don't sue me.
What the hell, no one would have thought that his old ramshackle camper would be stolen from the airport parking lot. Unless of course the thief had peeked inside and spied the Viper Diamondback motorcycle. Now three weeks later, his stubborn nature refusing to let him go any further without his two babies. One being monetarily priceless due to certain X-man embellishments, his enhanced senses had kept him on the track of the thief till finally having retrieved his vehicles, after knocking the culprit on his ass for his troubles, of course.

His camper reeked of the motherfuckers foul body odor, liquor, drugs and his female companion.

Yeah he was glad he had scared the hell out of them both and cold cocked the stupid jerk for keeping him from his destination and the peace he needed for so long. Now mission accomplished he was only days away from where he had started for, but not close enough for his liking.

He had talked to Chuck and had heard something about Storm, Ororo, but poor cell service had cut the conversation short after his initially telling Charles of his intended plans, not that he answered to him of anyone else. Whatever was going on with the X-men would just have to wait. After shutting off the phone Logan had tossed it in the nearest trash can, the man had a temper when he chose to and there had been an immediate ass whooping on his agenda. He would contact Charles again when he felt like it, but before that he knew there was no way Chuck could get through his adamantium skull.

Logan couldn't help but wonder as he now drove along what Chuck had been trying to say to him about Storm. He thought of the aloof, quiet, cold, but devastatingly beautiful X-woman. Surely there was nothing wrong with her. She exuded strength of character, control and self sufficiency, there was no way she could have any serious problems. Especially not with the way that Charles kept her so close to his hip. Damn, the man didn't even have to call out to have her at his side, so close a tab he kept on her. If Logan didn't figure the professor would get an ice burn or that he really did need the chair, he would think something else was going on. It still amazed him that any man dared to squeeze into her life between she and Charles. But one man had had the balls and truth be told he envied the hell out of him for it.

Yes, he had been smitten by Jean, but there was no denying the female leader of the team. While Jean was all lime light, bravado and shy damsel when it suited her, Storm was jut the opposite. She was never assuming, boisterous or weak.

Maybe Jean and Storm were truly the same coin, just opposite sides.

It just so happened that Jean was the one to show any interest in him and at the time he had had more than his fair share of challenges, so chasing after an iceberg disinterested female wasn't one he was ready to take on. Looking at Scooter boy he didn't see a challenge just a stiff obstacle, easily moveable.

Jean and Logan had more than flirted openly, both showing their appreciation of the other without repercussions and had even shared kisses with heavy fondling before being interrupted close to things getting out of hand due to her so call commitment to the boy scout.

Jean had dangled the carrot as he was the rabbit, more the fool, as she still chose Scott over him saying he was more predictable and constant. Not the bad boy, the boy she wouldn't be ashamed to take home to mommy and daddy. Hell she was right and if that was what she wanted she could have it. He was done. It took him little time to realize if she could act with him as she had, while professing her love for Cyclops, what was she capable of in a future with him. No, love was blind, but he was far from stupid.

A man would have to be truly blind not to see that the female leader of the X-men was hot as hell and well worth getting burned, but someone had beat him to the punch. So was the story of his life that he could remember. Always a day late and a dollar short.

Angrily he shook his head and rubbed his hand down his face. What the flamin' had him thinking as he was, especially about Storm, the unreachable, the unattainable. Teammmate and friends was all they could ever be and friends only as far as he could get. Still there was no denying she was the most beautiful woman he had ever met.

He reached into the glove compartment and pulled out the first cd he put his hand on and plopped it in the player. Took a partially smoked cigar out of his shirt pocket, lit it up and sat back to enjoy his drive.

Three days drive was too long for him to start behaving like a mooning, love struck, unable to form a coherent sentence, pimply faced school boy. Yeah he definitely still needed time away from the school and its residents.

Up ahead he saw the lights of what was sure to be a momentary cure for what ailed him. The lights of a rough hewn honky-tonk blinked its invitation. Inside there had to be cold beer, a warm body to hold for a while and the promise of trouble enough to let off a little steam in the the form of a decent brawl, he hoped.

Once again the same lopsided grin was on his face as he parked and noticed four brawny, loud roughnecks enter the bar.

Yep, just what the doctor ordered was sure to be inside.





You must login () to review.