Author's Chapter Notes:
Marvel still has them, so I'm still just playing with them...please don't get mad at me. I know I don't own them. Dang it.
They had ambled around the cabin, neither speaking or looking at the other, at least not while the other was aware of it. The tension so thick it could choke a mule.

She couldn't believe she had been so callous as to be unfaithful to vows she had taken regardless of her condition. The absence of a wedding ring had been explained away by him that they both considered bands to be an unnecessary outward display of their commitment to each other. Which didn't seem too far fetched for her to believe about herself and definitely not him so she had accepted it as truth. Besides why would any man lie about something as important as marriage, when most men ran away from it.

On top of the staggering information about her marital status, the crestfallen face of Steffan was constantly on her mind as she had watched him gather himself and leave the cabin that night walking as if to his death. The only words to pass between she and Logan had been spoken that night and that was when he was ready he would relate to her all that she needed to know and not a moment sooner. He hadn't even spoken her name again and had set up his nest in the master bedroom. Truth be told she couldn't actually blame him considering what he had walked in upon with her and Steffan, if what he had said was true about her being his wife.

When she set out to get herself into a mess, she really pulled out all the stops. Gone now was all the peace she had gained and misery had walked in in its place.


If he was able to he would kick his adamantium ass till it was black and blue. What the hell had possessed him to tell such a blatant lie about himself and Ororo! Sure it was more than obvious to him that he couldn't stand the movie star good looking officer that more than enjoyed pawing her, but what was that to him, why did he have to blurt out the first idiotic thing that came to his mind after witnessing what the two of them had brewing. Now here he was at a loss as to what to say to her after he had put his foot in his mouth all the way to his ass.

How was he going to tell her what she needed to know since suffering from her amnesia, without letting out the truth that he had lied and had no plausible reason as to why. Time was not on his side and he knew he had to be forthcoming soon. Damn it to hell, when he got himself into a mess he didn't do it halfway.


On quiet bare feet she approached him as he reached into the fridge for another cold beer. Though she was silent his enhanced hearing still heard her coming near and he dreaded turning around.

"Excuse me, I am fully aware that if the relationship you say is between us exists and you have witnessed my actions to ahhh...compromise it...to your distress, I wholeheartedly apologize for any wrong doing on my behalf, be it totally unintentional. If however I am to remain here in the present situation I am going to need some answers. This silence is not conducive to helping either one of us move forward."

There she had said it, the first move had been made no matter how apprehensive she had felt.

Shit, fuck and damn! She was ready to talk and he was out of time. To put it bluntly, the jig was up and she would undoubtedly fry him slowly once she knew the truth. With slow deliberation he turned to face his executioner.

"Don't recall sayin' I was ready ta get things out in the open darlin'."

"Well you may not be, but I must insist, or I shall have to call the sheriff to finish out the duration of my stay in town, as I was offered."

"I just bet he offered! Does that come with adjoining bedrooms or will the accommodations be shared?"

"You really can be quite crass," her temper now starting to get the better of her, "I take no pleasure in the situation between Steffan and myself, knowing that it effects your life - adversely. Be that as it may, I have no desire to linger any longer with my life in this present upheaval, as I am sure yours isn't exactly what you would like it to be either."

She had no idea how truthfully she had spoken.

The guilt he felt was strangling him like a tightened noose. Maybe he should just tell her the truth and accept the consequences. After all couldn't he completely understand what it was like to have ones life ripped from them and have to live in the agony of not knowing ones own identity.

What had he done. Taking a deep breath he readied himself to tell her the truth.

A sudden buzzing on the coffee table in the living room gained both of their attention. Saved by the bell, literally he took a sight of relief.

Before she could answer her phone, she immediately knew who it was. Only one person called her. Her heart sank at the knowledge of who it was.

As she went to answer his mind raced with the myriad of thoughts as to how to get out of the mess he had gotten himself into. Yet hearing the sweet and gentle voice she used in talking to the asshole on the other end of the line made him tune his hearing in to the conversation.

So the son of a bitch was still trying to coax her away from him, telling her it would be in her best interest to recuperate further in town, undoubtedly closer to him and his particular brand of convincing.

That was not about to happen.

"Darlin'", he walked up on her, interrupting the call without caring, "we can finish this later, I've got someplace ta be fer the next few days..."

"No wait!" she nearly yelled before turning her attention back to the phone.

Just like he planned. His words had hit home, knowing her anxiousness in gaining the knowledge he had about her, she quickly ended her call.

"You did that on purpose didn't you?" she said, eyeing the smirk he couldn't hide on his face when she turned to him again.

"Don't know what yer talking bout Ro."

"Please don't play games with me. And so now I have a name again. Is there anything else you would like to share with me...about myself? About my - Life.", she said through clenched teeth.

He closed the distance between them slowly till they were only a breath apart. Leaning in to speak directly into her ear his lips lightly brushing her lobe, "Your name is Ororo, but I call ya Ro."

Her breath caught on a quiet gasp, not only because of hearing her name for the first time, but because her heart had sped up at the nearness of this man. Finding her voice she asked, "And your name?"

He leaned in again, this time she held him at bay with her arms outstretched pushing at his massive chest.

He grinned an infuriating lopsided grin.

"My name is...Logan."

"And?"

"And ya can call me just that."

"Are you really going to play this game with me of stringing me along with my having to pry one bit of information out of you at a time?"

"How would ya like ta do it?", he looked at the fire and the rug, then back at her, eyeing her up and down.

"Ooof, why you...," she began, the enormity of the situation getting the better of her.

Her chin began to quiver, her jaw tightened and her eyes filled with unshed tears. Embarrassed by the onslaught of emotion, she was finding it hard to control, she turned away.

Logan felt the asshole that he was. Why was he treating her as if she had no right to the truth of her own life, keeping her from making her own decisions as to the course it would take from the knowledge she was entitled to.

Quickly he reached out to grab her wrist before she could go, "Please...Ro. I don't say this often...but I'm sorry." There he had said it and it tasted as bitter on his tongue as he always thought it would.

Lightening lit up the room from outside, accompanied by the loud rumbling of thunder, as her shoulders now shook with the release of the pent up tears.

From her outstretched wrist hold, Logan pulled her to his chest in a strong embrace, letting her ride out the flood of tears that tore from her soul.

"I know I'm an asshole darlin', but I care about ya. Ya've been a constant in my fucked up life, so I guess that makes me a selfish bastard too in that I don't want ya ta leave once ya know all ya need ta know."

Still within the comfort of his arms, Ororo stepped back just enough to now look into his face. "What makes you so certain that is what I will have to do?", her eyes narrowing as a suspicious bent now took hold of her.

"My eyes didn't deceive me when I walked in here darlin'."

"So you think my decision will be based on a man I have known a matter of weeks?"

"Never thought of ya as the love-em and leave-em type Ro."

"But I am your wife and with what you have to tell me I will leave you...a man I vowed to love...till death us do part?, her words not a statement of fact, but a question.

Now it was Logans turn to let her go, turning his back to her and running his hand through his already tousled hair.

"Look Ro, about that..."

Again the cell began to buzz across the table.

Logan happily took it as a sign to shut the hell up.

"Do not go anywhere Logan, we are not done with this conversation," she warned pleadingly, as she answered her call with a little annoyed 'Hello'.

Emotions unfamiliar to him fluttered across his face as he watched her rush her conversation, not wanting to know what was being said this time.

She glanced at him over her shoulder for a second before walking further into the living room to complete her call. It took quite a bit of convincing on her part, but finally she got Steffan to understand her point of not coming to stay in town, just yet, away from Logan.

Taking a deep breath and turning back around to face her husband, she stood in the room alone.





You must login () to review.