She wandered the few aisles of the general store idly touching pieces of the eclectic merchandise. Though things were more than a little tense between she and Logan they both had made the drive into town to restock dwindling supplies at the cabin. Besides Logan had the only working vehicle and he was more than insistant that he drive her instead of her phoning the good sheriff.

The week since finding out her actual name and little information about herself had been spent with her questioning him at select times, mostly mid-day, when she could pin him down and he didn't gruff out an unsatisfactory answer. Still his responses to her queries left much to be desired, seeing as how he never revealed much. The professor had called twice to check in on her and answer as many questions as he could for her without causing any damage to her tenuous psyche. Thanks to them both she had discovered that mutants were a part of society with abilities that defied normal human attributes. Some were able to blend into homo sapien culture without being noticed, while others were not so fortunate as to disguise their differences. She still had no idea as to what her supposed ability was or Logan's for that matter. She was just aware that for a black woman she had unusual blue eyes and a soft thick mane of white hair, that definitely didn't come from a bottle.

Sadly for her she had further learned that she was alone in the world with no blood relatives to speak of, just a familial link to her associates at the school at which she taught. The professor had explained to her that she had been a teacher there for some time and was well in need of a rest, thus her pilgrimage to the frozen north and Logan's supposed unoccupied dwelling.

So much time had passed and she was as frustrated as she was since leaving the hospital. Before coming to the merchantile they had stopped at the small library in town to find that it carried nothing on mutants, just a miniscule section on alien abductions. So far her life was turning out to be an unfunny joke.

Breathing a heavy sigh, she joined Logan at the counter as he was paying for their supplies. The friendly grey haired and bearded man behind it offered her a warm smile upon her approach, that she couldn't help but return.

"If you don't mind my saying so,", he said, handing Logan his copy of the credit receipt, "we just got in some new art supplies in the back, if you are interested Miss. It won't take but a sec for me to pull them out."

Ororo looked perplexed, then it dawned on her why he had asked her about something she had no clue to herself about. "Oh...I am sorry, excuse me?"

"Pardon me Missus...my name is Ed, Ed Bouvier. I don't mean to pry, it's just the last time you were here you purchased a few art supplies." He kept taking side long glances at Logan, who was looking at Ororo, with one brow raised in obvious question. "You seemed real pleased with them and the Martin,", she looked at him still even more baffled, he rushed on, "the acoustic folk guitar."

Ororo knew that Steffan had brought a guitar and art supplies into the cabin, but had so far ignored them considering all that was going on with the turmoil that was her present state. Now faced with the fact that she had purposely bought them, she had no idea what she was going to do with them. She found herself at a loss for words and looked at Logan for what she wasn't sure he would have the answer to.

His deep timber provided the escape she needed to the kindly man, "Thanks bub, but not today."

"Sure, sure. If you all want, next time you can call ahead and I can have your order delivered to you. It's kinda nice to get out of the store every so often during the day, for a long drive.", he smiled.

Once again Logan answered, as Ororo gave him another timid smile, "Yeah, maybe." That said, they left headed back out to Logan's truck. He surprised Ororo with the chivalrous act of opening her door after placing their bags inside.

Though she was slightly stunned by his gentlemanly manner, she gave him a tremulous smile and climbed in, riding out of town in stilted silence, while he shifted to lean far away from her against the driver side door.

Watching the town pass by, Ororo caught a glimpse of Steffan outside the towns diner as they passed, apparently in deep conversation with a woman in a waitress uniform. It seemed she was in need of a new one, the present one being a little tight on her. The attractive female didn't appear to be too happy if her animated arm waving was any indication. A quick peek at Logan through her lowered lashes told Ororo he had missed the sight. She breathed a sigh of relief for that, but inside her stomach was suddenly in knots. She had spoken to Steffan many times each day and had to assure him that she was fine and needed time to discover just what information she could about herself from Logan. After much persuading she had convinced him she would see him as soon as it was prudent. Intentionally she had kept it to from him that she would be in town today to keep him and Logan apart. The less conflict the better.

Logan tensed against the door, a his mutton chopped jaw tight after witnessing and ignoring the good sheriff's little tete-a-tete with the infuriated wench outside the local eatery. He knew Storm thought he had missed the goings on having heard her sigh and smelled the nervousness coming off of her so suddenly. No skin off his back, but he knew she was in for another heartache due to her allowing her emotions to have free reign on another rare occasion.

The weather made a quick change from sunny to overcast for the duration of the ride back. The silence in the cab of the truck was deafening.

Much later Logan turned onto the long driveway to the cabin, Ororo broke the ice, stammering as she spoke, "If you do not mind I will unload my items in a while,...I think I would like to take a walk."

Logan hit the brakes and threw the gear into park. "Where the fuck ya think yer gonna go out here darlin?"

Before he could stop her she had grabbed the door handle and gotten out of the truck.

"Shit!" He exclaimed. Now he was on the move, following once again after a woman who wasn't his and too confused to know her up from her down.

Ororo stomped back down the drive, walking aimlessly, trying without success to alleviate the heavy weight upon her chest. Soon her stomp turned into a jog, into a full on run.

"Ro, stop! I'm not gonna let ya,...damn it Ro!" he was on her heels.

His hand reached out and tugged her wrist, stopping her quick progress away from him and all she couldn't grasp with understanding for weeks. They both ended up in a tumbled heap upon the rocky drive, heedless of the gouges and scrapes from the rough stones.

From the deepest part of her she cried out, "Nooooooo!", even as her arms began to flail, her fists pounding onto his chest and air as she panted for release from her prison of not knowing and the unwanted knowledge of what she did.

Logan held onto her for dear life, encasing her trembling body in his powerful arms, refusing to let her go. He stroked her back and hair as he calmly soothed her saying, "Hush darlin,...it's alright, it's okay. I won't let go, I gotcha. I gotcha,...not going anywhere. Hush baby, hush."

Her arms were pinned against his chest as she let the torrent of tears rush the dam that had been holding them back. The sky was no longer overcast, a storm was now beginning to rage around them, as heavy rain pelted their joined bodies soaking them to the skin.

Ororo's tears were hidden in the downpour, but Logan was still able to smell the salt of them, even as they clung to one another. One was a soul crying out in despair for everything she had lost and could not find. Stumbling along in a newfound life with a tumult of emotions that had to be released or she would die. The other clung with fierce tenacity to being needed for something other than the ills of life and an unspoken necessity to be touched and made to feel human or worthy.

If she had his enhanced sense of smell she might have caught a hint of salt on the air coming from him. Though he couldn't readily say why, maybe it was just his need for release, given the perfect opportunity.

Feeling her trembling subside to small quakes after a long while, Logan pulled her to ther feet and led her up the drive, bypassing the truck to give her more time to help get composed.

The storm ebbed along with her calming, leaving only a drizzling sprinkle and grey skies with a gentle breeze.

Reaching the cabin her legs gave out, but Logan quickly caught her up and carried her to her bed. She had not an ounce of strength left. Her entire being was spent. But finally she felt numb.

He stood looking down at her. His heart seemed to crawl up from his chest into his throat and lodge there, choking out his breath, forcing his eyes to open wider and see the truly unique and beautiful creature before him. For the first time that he could remember a small whimper passed his lips.

She lay looking up at him with glazed eyes that seemed focused on nothing, but burning a hole into his wounded and calloused heart.

With leaden movements he reluctantly bent down to remove her sodden clothing, knowing she was in too fragile a state to do so herself. It was obvious in the fact that she gave no resistance as his hands nimbly, though a little shakily proceeded to the task. Divesting her of her rain heavy clothing till he reached her skimpy underthings, that were just as wet. Uh uh, no way. He couldn't go there, no matter what.

He allowed his eyes to deliberately rove over her too tempting form, drawn to her as a moth to a flame. Flamin' hell she was hot. Never in all his life had he seen a woman as beautiful as Ororo Munroe.

Instantly he was stirred to a fever pitch.

Too easy. As always it was just too easy to desire what wasn't his. What he couldn't have. What he shouldn't want.

Drowsily Ororo's eyes kept shutting with the heaviness of sleep.

Pulling strength from a place he didn't know he had, Logan tore his eyes away from her and reached for the quilt to cover her.

Barely audible, she spoke his name, "Logan."

Once again his attention was drawn to her face, as he turned his head to look into her drowning pools. He said nothing. He didn't trust himself, she was too vulnerable and she made him too weak.

Limply she held the cover up in invitation, as she tried to speak again, "Please,...do not...leave...me. Ho - hold me, please. Not...alone, please,...so alone."

He took her hand and pulled the quilt up to her shoulder, to cover what his eyes and body coveted. Moving to the other side of the bed he peeled his own sopping clothing from his body, climbing into the bed behind her atop the quilt hoping it provided a semblance of a barrier between them. He wasn't one for prayer, but he was about to start considering the incomprehensible position he found himself in. They were both wounded people, who needed healing. In her present state there was no way he could take advantage of her, but his body screamed for its own needs and she more than filled the bill.

Ororo scooted back to where he lay, reaching back to pull his arm over her waist, causing him to hold her in the spooning position, just before her eyes closed in slumber.

For the first time in a long time Logan began to silently pray, but not the typical prayer, "Ah hell god, if yer there, just kill me now.", right before he pulled her closer wrapping her tighter to offer her whatever comfort he could. Though he lay atop the bedding he found himself sweating buckets.

Against her ear and wet hair he whispered, "It's alright darlin, it's okay. I won't let go, I gotcha. I'm not goin' anywhere. I gotcha, baby."





You must login () to review.