Chapter One: And Applause!
Jean had officially fallen from grace. She was no longer that beautiful angel atop the Christmas tree in the eyes of the X-Men. She had morphed to that frumpy sweater no one wanted under the tree, and for the first time she didn't care about being seen as perfect. She stopped caring about what other people thought of her actions, because he was coming home today.
Her mind bled with numbers. Number of minutes, numbers of days, it all made her head pound half with excitement half with anxiety. They were all she could focus on, and what's worse they hunted her. The received the cold shoulder from everyone in the mansion, from her once so-called friends. In their eyes she was the selfish bitch on campus.

Being a bright telepath didn't help her much either. Her students and fellow X-team mates thought up the worst possible things when she walked by, so she devoted her time to watching the clocks. During practice or while in meetings, her eyes stayed on that ticking clock.

The numbers on the clock had taunted for weeks, and now she waited for time to finally run out. When it did, Logan would come running into her arms. He had been on a mission for thirty-seven days. Jean had come to despise that number, but how she loved the number nine. It was the amount of times she and Logan had sex before he left. Five was the total amount of days she realized that she wanted worse then she could ever imagine. It had been a harsh twenty days since she broke the news to Scott that she had slept with Logan and that she no longer had use for a square like him. Of course, hatred came at her from every direction, but she was over Scott and waiting for Logan.

Rogue, someone she once called a friend walked by from the kitchen to the den making sure Jean was in clear focus her dirty look. Her piercing green eyes broke Jean's concentration only for a moment. She had no time to get mad or give a rude look back because seventeen minutes prior she answered the phone. It was Logan saying he was on his way home. 'Home' she said to herself, he finally admitted she was his home. He said he would be home in less than a half hour, and since that phone call Jean never as so much as flinched from her statue-like pose on the couch facing the window with the clear view of the driveway.

"Pathetic," Rogue the feisty southerner commented to her roommate Betsey. "She resorted to just sitting and staring, my god."

Betsey barely paid attention to Rogue's criticism of Jean. "You say that, but you wake up every morning and see if his bike is there too. As much as we all want to be mad Logan made this place fun, and with him gone I've never been so bored in all my life."

"It's boring, but I more than anything I hope Logan dumps her ass." Rogue gave another dirty look to unsuspecting Jean.

"Ladies." A thick Cajun accent allured the two women to turn around from their staircase post. "Don't you belles have anything else better to do then hunt that lil old red head?" How Remy LeBeau adored having the attention squarely on him.

The smooth talking Cajun took the hint. He loved to chase and he had won that round. He wasn't interested in the catty games of the x-woman, just getting them into bed. Standing just above six foot with saggy, loose brown hair, Remy was rarely seen without his deck of card or his famous LeBeau smile, but it was Remy's burning eyes of red on a velvet sky of black that hypnotized women with ease.

Betsey rolled her eyes, but Rogue just looked to the ground. "What part of 'I have a boyfriend' don't you understand Cajun?" Betsey asked teasingly, changing the topic from the overrated Jean.

"The part where that stops you from having a late night rumble with his old thief." He bared a wicked grin that made both girls swoon.

"You're lucky I'm loyal to him." Betsey pushed him slightly.

"Lucky? Seems like the worse luck I've had in a while. What about you, my southern belle. You going to let this Cajun teach you some old southern ways?" he asked Rogue, who blushed a beet red. Slyly she stroked over her bangs and brushed her long auburn hair into her face and coolly walked forward, thanking God that she composed herself enough to do so.

"Maybe another time then, chere" Remy called out to Rogue before heading to the kitchen. She never answered; her mouth was too dry.

"Why do you do that? You know he wants you." Betsey bullied her roommate.

"Cause that guy…" Frustrated Rogue couldn't find the words to express her mental confusion she felt when around Remy.

"Yeah, he used to leave me speechless too… I say you do him and quick before I change my mind about this whole relationship I'm currently in."

"Ugh." Rogue rolled her eyes admitting nothing. "Let's go upstairs, please, can't be around her." She motioned towards Jean.

"No, let's stay. Logan is coming back." Betsy stared out the window. Much like Jean she too was telepathic." He's almost here. I can sense him." Betsey turned to fully face Rogue and gave her a very put off look like something was wrong.

Below them, Remy was planning an ambush of his own. Sneaking up behind Jean, Remy popped a cup of coffee before. "Ah!" She jumped slightly. "You scared me."
"Strange, me scaring a telepath. Damn, I'm good," Remy complimented himself.

Jean laughed. She had to give it to Remy. He was persistent in his actions. The moment he heard of her breakup with Scott he was showing a large amount of attention to her, flirting and making her laugh.he gladly welcomed the attention seeing how she was blacklisted by her family. It was all in good fun. She knew he wouldn't do anything really. Redheads weren't his thing.
"You know better, Cajun. I'm not interested…"

"I know you're waiting for somebody." Remy was quick to cut her off. "So you've told me…that's why I brought two cups." He popped up another hand but thinking smart it was a beer for Logan. "I overheard you on the phone." Remy took a seat next to her.
Suddenly Jean's face lit up like a puppy on seeing its master's return. Remy didn't need to ask if Logan was close, because it was written all over her face. The weird that was he didn't hear Logan's signature chopper.
Pulling up the long narrow driveway to the mansion's main entrance was three black suvs, very government looking and very dramatic. Logan was notorious not only his entrances but for constantly finding himself in trouble with authority figures.
Strolling out of the third suv wearing a tight black shirt, cigar in hand while his duffle bag was riding over his shoulder, it was Logan making a typical badass entrance. Overcome with joy Logan barely made it two steps in the doorway before Jean tackled him with a hug and kiss.

Stuck with the coffees and beer, Remy looked at the two and shook his head. The dramatic scene gave him the shivers even though it seemed kind of nice. He looked passed the couple passionately kissing to find a sweet river rat glancing at him. Smiling back, Remy could see Rogue blushing again before she quickly turn back to the safety of the window. Following her line of direction, Remy noticed the cars were not moving.
The gasp of the two women watching the cars caught Jean's ear. Breaking her embrace with Logan, she turned to look outside to see a suited man walking out towards them.

"We need to talk, Jean."
Logan's raspy voice shook her already heavy heart. It was terrible news. She could feel it. Her heart sank to the deep pits of her bawls.

All eyes laid on the suvs and men standing firmly, when a tall barefoot ebony woman came out of the back seat. Her hair dark as midnight to match what looked like soulless eyes, hallow as if she was half a person. The woman walked with her head down and was wrapped warmly in Logan's leather jacket.
Rogue and Betsey's eyebrows each rose in question, while Remy smiled. He could taste the tension in the air. Already, drama was near. Excitement written all over his face, and things were starting to get a little too routine for him anyway.
"What's going on, Logan?" Jean asked, getting close to him as the man in the suit approached her with the lifeless figure walking firmly behind him.

The man in the suit looked annoyed as if everyone was in his way and taking up his valuable time. "Who is this?" Jean commented to Logan. The man in black suit only laughed. "This is Logan's wife or didn't you all hear the good news?"

The shock and utter audacity of the situation left mouths open and eyes wide. No one dared speak, let alone move. Logan was about to slice the suits face off and Jean was about to deck the new chick.
The steady sound of a slow clap forced its way into the ears of the spectators.

Remy gave Logan his due applause behind a little sinker. "You have raised the bar for all of us, Canadian."





You must login () to review.