It was almost midnight when Logan finally found her. The rain had begun to pour down, washing away their scent. Thunder boomed and lightning flashed, and Logan knew that Storm was in deep distress. At one point, he heard a blood curdling scream that forced him to push himself harder to find her. Finally, the stench of blood reached him, and he found her in an alley left for dead.

She was a mess. Clothes torn, scratches and bruises all over her body, especially her facial features. He stopped and knelt down next to her, checking her pulse to make sure she was alive. She stirred as soon as he touched her neck, which had a nasty bite mark, and a shallow gash just above it. Her pulse was steady, but Logan knew that if he didn't get her medical attention soon, he was going to lose her.

Slowly, he picked her up and hurried back to the mansion. "Logan!" Rogue called, racing to the entrance when she saw him. "Where have you been? Ah- Oh my goodness!" She cut herself when she saw Storm in his arms. Kitty and Jubilee were about to enter the room, but Rogue shooed them away, not wanting them to see what she was seeing right then- however she did ask Kitty to go get the Professor and look for Hank and Phoenix.

Then Rogue went down to the medlab with them, an awkward silence between settled between her and her father figure. She wanted to know what had happened to Storm, but she didn't want to upset Wolverine in any manner. The ride down the elevator seemed to take forever, and Rogue was starting to get anxious; when the doors finally opened, she opened the doors to the medlab, where Logan placed her mentor and friend down.

Hank and Jean finally arrived at the lab, and they both urged Logan to leave until they called for them. "I bet you wanna know what happened to 'Ro?" Logan muttered to her, as he stared at the infirmary doors. Rogue didn't move or say anything. With Logan in this mood, she knew that the Wolverine was being close to have a lash out, and she didn't want to upset him any further. However, it was like he read her mind. "Sabretooth did this to her."

Rogue gasped and rushed forward to hug him. He normally hated it when they hugged him- he didn't let anyone hug him often unless it was Storm- but right now he didn't mind it too much. "I'm so sorry, Logan," she whispered, tears coming down her face.

"Me too, kid."

R

About an hour later, Jean and Hank had finished their check over on Storm. The good news was that she was going to make it; the bad news, on the other hand, was that it was going to be a long time before she was going to be back to her old self again. By then the Professor was there and was fully updated on what had happened to Storm.

"Did he do anything else to her?" Logan asked, fearing the answer. "Besides beating her and leaving her to die."

Jean looked at Hank, tears coming to her eyes as she said the words. "I'm sorry, Logan, but he not only beat her, he brutally raped her repeatedly."

Logan released the claws. SNIKT! The entire room became silent, tensely waiting to see if the mighty Wolverine would go beserk. After a few minutes, Wolverine turned away, and walked toward the Danger Room. Everyone knew it was better to let him be than to bother him when he was angry.

"Can we see her?" Rogue asked, looking at Jean hopefully.

"Yes, but briefly," Jean said. "She needs her rest."

The students nodded and walked into the room where the sleeping goddess lied. The both Jean and Hank went closer to the Professor where they could talk quietly. "Is she going to make a full recovery?" Charles asked.

"I hope so, but it's going to take awhile for those cuts to heal," Jean replied.

"What about...?" The Professor trailed off, not wanting to say it out loud, just in case Logan was close by.

"She's fine, everything seems fine," Jean repeated, which was code for it was too early to tell.

The Professor nodded and waited by the door until all the students were gone. Then he rolled his chair close to her bed, and held her hand. Tears came to his eyes as he watched the woman who was more like a daughter to him sleep. He was going to spend all the time he could with her, trying to reassure her that everything was going to be fine; because he knew by tomorrow, she wouldn't let any man near her.

R

Logan came into the room about three hours later, freshly showered, and his knuckles red from sheathing and unsheathing his claws. "Anything?" he asked.

Charles shook his head. "I'm afraid not."

Logan pulled up a chair and sat next to Storm, across from the Professor. "I should've stayed with her."

"Logan," Charles said sternly, "this isn't your fault. You couldn't have known this was going to happen."

"But I told her that she shouldn't be walking alone because she never knew what was going to happen," Logan countered, feeling the heavy burden of responsibility weighing on his shoulders. "And I let her go alone to find her purse." He shook his head miserably, watching as Storm stirred, but didn't come to.

"Logan, I know this is going to be difficult, but you can't keep blaming yourself. Ororo's going to need your support now more than ever."

A tense silence fell between the two, and Logan sighed. He knew that Baldy was right. It was going to be a miracle if Storm would even allow him close to her; he knew that between him and any other male in the institute- particularly between him and Beast- Logan was the closest resemblance to Victor Creed.

R

Logan kept a silent vigil over her throughout the rest of the night. The Professor had left around four, to catch what little sleep he could, leaving Logan alone with her. Logan held Storm's, wanting to know that she was still there with him, and gently massaged it, the way she liked it. It was probably going to be the last one he was going to be able to give for awhile. None of it felt real to him. He just wanted this to be a bad dream and wake up, with her warm body beside him; so she could tell him that everything would be alright. They had been so happy, Logan was certainly more happy than he had ever been- or thought he had ever been in his life.

At about seven o'clock, Storm began stirring again, and her eyes fluttered open. Logan called Jean down, and then turned to his wife. "Logan..." she whispered.

"Hey, darlin'," he said, resisting the urge to stroke her face soothingly. "How're ya feelin'?"

"Achy," she replied. "What-what happened?"

"You were attacked," Logan said slowly.

Storm looked at him questioningly at first, and then it seemed to hit her all at once. "Sabretooth..." she whispered fearfully, tears coming to her eyes. Logan wanted nothing more than to embrace her right then and tell her that everything would be alright, but he was afraid that it would just make things worse.

Jean came in then. "Hello, Ororo," she said quietly.

"What did he do?" Storm asked quietly. Logan took it as his cue to get out of the room. If there was anything that agitated him the most, it was seeing his loving 'Ro in tears.

"Mornin', Logan," Rogue said in the hall as she passed him to see Storm.

"I wouldn't go in there, kid," Logan warned. "Red's passing on the bad news to her now."

Rogue stopped where she was. A minute later, Jean came out. "I don't think now's a good time to see her, Rogue," she said gently. "She needs to get over the shock first."

Rogue nodded, glimpsing through the door her teacher in tears. "How are we going to help her?" Rogue asked.

"I don't know, Marie," Logan said, using her real name. "Just don't bring this up around her, and I think she'll be fine- at least around you girls," he sighed as he turned back toward the doors, watching the weeping Weather Witch. "I'm going to do all I can to gain her trust once again."





You must login () to review.