Logan awoke to a clear sky, which he thought was good. After getting dressed, he walked over to Storm's side of the bed, where she slept. "'Ro?" Logan whispered. Storm's eyes fluttered open at the sound of his voice, but she relaxed when she saw that it was only Logan. "Are you coming down to breakfast?"

Storm shook her head. "I want to sleep a little longer," she replied tiredly.

Logan nodded understandingly. It wasn't hard to see that she was tired, and that she had a very bad night last night, if the dark circles were any indication. "Alright," he said, getting up. "I'm here if you need me."

Storm nodded. "Thank you," she said, watching Logan leave. Once the door was shut, she sighed as tears welled up in her eyes. She turned away from the door to face the window. Happy memories flashed through her mind of her and Logan lying next to each other, naked and sharing feelings for each other. They made love together several times. He had made her feel safe; told her that he would protect her. Most nights they would fall asleep with his arms wrapped around her, and wake up smiling in the early hours.

The tears flowed down freely as she thought that she may never be able to do those activities again. Or ever be happy again.

R

"Hello, Logan," Jean said as he entered the dining room. "How's Storm?"

"Tired," he replied, sitting down. "She didn't sleep well last night."

Jean nodded sadly. The rest of the breakfast was ate in silence.

The Professor joined the adults at the beginning of clean up. "How is Storm this morning?" Charles asked.

"Not good, Chuck," Logan replied. "Nightmares kept her up last night."

"I figured as such," The Professor sighed sadly. "The storm that she conjured was pretty brutal."

"Rogue, Kitty, Peter, Bobby, Jubilee and Warren have offered to help clean up the backyard," Jean informed the Professor. "Scott's out there supervising with Hank and Kurt."

"Thank you, Jean," Charles said. "I'll be in my office if you need me."

R

"So, how are you doing?" Jean asked once the Professor had gone.

"Not very good, Jean," Logan replied, trying to wash the dishes. "I can handle 'Ro's nightmares- as you know I have them as well sometimes- but, when I can't even comfort her... it makes me furious that Creed did that to her. Did that to my Storm..." he put the last dish on the drying rack and sighed. "When I see him again, I'm gonna kill him."

"Logan," Jean said firmly, "that's not going to help Ororo any. It may help her feel safer, but, it's not going to heal the scars."

Logan looked up as an idea struck. "Can you erase it? Erase the memory and replace it with a new one?"

"What?" Jean asked, shocked that he would ask such a thing.

"Erase the memory," Logan repeated.

"Logan, I can't," Jean said. "Storm has a static that prevents telepaths from messing with her mind. Only when she's really calm, maybe we can probe; but, when she's in such a vulnerable state, her mind will be impossible to penetrate.
"Besides, I wouldn't do it, even if I could. I've no right to invade her worst nightmare."

Logan sighed. "You're right, Red, I'm sorry."

Jean placed a hand on his shoulder. "It's fine. I'm here if you or Storm need me." She left him alone in the kitchen to go and help out with the lawn.

R

The Professor watched from his office as the kids cleaned up the lawn. Kitty and Rogue chased one another playfully as they picked up buckets full of leaves and threw them at one another. Bobby and Peter were having a nice chat about something as they helped move broken tree trucks out of the way. Jubilee was singing 'Call me maybe', and it wasn't long before the other girls started singing it.

He shook his head and sighed as he remembered how lively one of his students used to be- and she still would be if it weren't for a particular incident. Now every time he came near Storm, all he could read from her was fear and shame.

A light rain started to fall, and though there weren't many clouds, everyone knew that Storm had started crying once again. Thankfully no one let it spoil their mood as they finished cleaning up. That made him smile, and he decided that he would talk to Storm tomorrow.

R

Logan walked back upstairs to check on Storm. She was sitting on the bed, changed out of her nightgown and into a skirt and a long sleeved shirt to hide her scratches and bruises. She was crying again as Logan came closer. "What's wrong, darlin'?" he asked, kneeling next to her.

"Nothing," Storm sniffed. "I just have something in my eyes."

That was code for she didn't want to talk about it. Logan didn't push her, not wanting to upset her further. "Are you going to your greenhouse again?"

Storm nodded. "I need to water them."

"Alright," he said pushing himself up, and then offering his hand to Storm. She hesitated, but still accepted, tensing slightly at his touch. Logan thought it was a start. At least she didn't fry him.

He watched her go, thinking that maybe things will start getting better.

R

The next morning, the Professor called her in to talk with him and Jean. Storm wasn't feeling very well, but she figured it was from the lack of sleep. Logan had joined them, though he stayed quiet and let Jean and the Professor do the talking.

The talk was very casual- asking about how she was doing and if she needed anything. When she wasn't responsive, they decided to end the session.

Logan walked with Storm out of the office and down the hall. "How're ya doin', 'Ro?" Logan asked, walking almost shoulder-to-shoulder with her.

"Alright, I suppose," Storm replied, wincing.

Logan turned toward her. She was sweating a little, and she seemed almost pale. "What's wrong?"

"My back's just bothering me," Storm replied. Suddenly, she gasped and doubled over in pain.

Instinctively, Logan reached out to try and steady her, but she sank to her knees anyway, as throbbing pain shot through her abdomen. "Darlin', what's wrong?"

"I don't know," Storm gasped.

A familiar scent caught his attention and Logan looked down to see a crimson liquid trickling down her leg. "'Ro, you're bleedin'."

Storm's eyes widened in fear as she realized what was happening. The pain intensified and her mind became a fog. Jean appeared a moment later, and she was shocked to find Storm on the ground. Hanks appeared a moment later, and with a look, he darted off to the infirmary. Jean used her telekinesis to pick up Storm and levitate her to the infirmary.

"What's goin' on, Jean?" Logan asked as he followed them to the elevator.

"She's having a miscarriage," Jean replied.

"A miscarriage?" Logan asked as they rode the elevator down.

"She never told you?"

"Told me what?"

The doors opened again and Hank was there with a stretcher for Storm. Jean placed her on it and turned back to Logan. "She was eight weeks pregnant." Hank called her and she hurried into the infirmary, leaving Logan standing alone in the hallway.


Chapter End Notes:
A/N: I know, I'm cruel. First I have her raped by Sabretooth and then she has a miscarriage. I can just hear the crowd booing now. In my defense, I think it adds more emotion to the story. As to the cause of the miscarriage, I'm just gonna label stress.



You must login () to review.