Author's Note: This connects directly with Chapter 1, so consider everything after this chapter "current time."
___________________________________________________________

“Tell me about it, from beginning to now.”

“...And that was nearly two weeks ago. I haven’t seen or heard from him since,” Ororo concluded, wiping her eyes dry. It was nice being able to talk about it. It gave her so much relief since she had yet to tell Ali or Yukio about her pregnancy. It was an even greater relief to have Jean listen to her, but Ororo wasn’t about to admit that without an apology.

Jean, who’d been listening with tissues in hand, was shocked. She was still upset about what Ororo was doing, but it was much less so. Poor Ororo, she really made a mess of things, Jean thought pityingly. The woman didn’t need more drama.

“Have you tried calling him? Has he tried calling you?” Jean asked.

Ororo sighed and shook her head. “Whenever I call, it just goes straight to voicemail. I mean, I know this is life changing, but I thought he was happy.” Ororo’s lower lip wavered. “Happier than I am.”

“Oh, Ororo,” Jean started.

“Don’t. I... can’t take any more pity. It makes me feel worse about everything.”

Jean nodded. “Well... I’m excited. I’ll admit that.” Jean smiled and put a hand on Ororo’s slightly curved stomach. “My godchild is in there.”

Ororo laughed mirthlessly. “Oh, so I guess you have amnesia about that coffee you threw in my face,” Ororo said flippantly.

Jean pursed her lips, wanting to say something cutting, but decided it wouldn’t help anything. And she was tired of being angry. Being angry didn’t save her marriage and it certainly wasn’t going to save her friendship, a friendship she valued more than she let on. Definitely more than some stupid fling with a married man. “Ororo, I’m sorry I did that. It was wrong.”

Ororo regarded her, trying to discern Jean’s honesty. “You publicly embarrassed me, Jean. You nearly got me fired.”

“I know,” Jean said, looking down. She tucked a strand of red hair behind her ear. “I was almost fired, too. I’m actually under a sort of grace period with Charles. I got a pay cut and I won’t get it back until I prove I’m not going to do it again. Charles actually told me I should be grateful we’re understaffed.” Ororo bursted out in laughter. “Did he tell you the same thing?”

Ororo nodded. “I didn’t get a pay cut, though.”

Jean snapped her fingers. “Damn.” She smiled at Ororo, then looked ashamed. “I’m really sorry, Ororo. We both are. Me and Marie?”

“I’ll believe it when Marie apologizes,” Ororo said with a ‘humph.’ She folded her arms under her breasts, sore and heavy. (Whatever dumb ass said they were looking forward to pregnancy for the bigger breasts obviously had never been pregnant before.) “But I appreciate the sentiment.”

“Am I forgiven?” Jean asked.

Ororo closed her eyes and took a deep breath. “Yes. I’m still upset, but at least I now know you’re sorry.”

Jean smiled weakly, masking her disappointment. She half expected Ororo to take her back with open arms, but she could understand the distrust and upset. Jean would feel the same way, so it was all understandable. Hopefully, though, Ororo would be over it in time to declare Jean the godmother. Jean didn’t want the honor going to Yukio.

“So? Can I see the little guy? Or girl.” Jean pressed her hand to Ororo’s stomach and grinned. “Oh, it’s a girl. I know it.”

“Jean, you’re not a psychic,” Ororo said as she walked to retrieve the baby picture.

“Fifty/fifty chance to be one hundred percent right!” Jean called. She heard Ororo’s laughter and smiled. When Ororo was firmly out of sight, Jean palmed her forehead and shook her head. Ororo wasn’t excited about being pregnant and the father was a jerk. Poor Ororo, she really made a mess of things.





You must login () to review.