Author's Note: Neither Ro, nor Lo make it into this chapter, but I felt like it should go in.
__________________________________________________________
Jean sat across from Scott, locked in a fierce battle over who was the best Bond. It was light hearted and Jean couldn’t help but laugh every time Scott pursed his lips and called her crazy for thinking Daniel Craig was the best Bond yet. (“He’s just eye candy!”) And maybe Scott had a point, but Jean wasn’t about to give in.

It was a stark contrast to how they’d been a nearly a year ago.

Jean hadn’t seen it coming. She was in the kitchen, trying a new recipe, chattering about her day. When she noticed Scott wasn’t saying anything, she asked him if he was feeling well. He just blurted it out.

He’d slept with Emma Frost, their accountant.

It made Jean feel so inadequate, knowing he would want to be with someone other than herself. Scott was Jean’s first and only and he slept with another woman. She nearly left him, unable to see past her fury to notice his genuine remorse. In fact, she hadn’t. The first two days were spent at Ororo’s, sobbing into her best friend’s arms.

In counseling, Scott told her he felt their marriage was lacking something and all he wanted was to feel some sort of a spark. He said he felt estranged from Jean at times. When he started seeing Emma, it was just to talk. He missed being able to connect to someone without feeling like they were judging him. And soon it escalated. Scott found that talking to her wasn’t enough and the night he confessed to Jean about their affair was the night he slept with Emma.

Marriage counseling was grueling, but when it ended, Jean got the chance to better understand Scott and they actually worked through his infidelities coming out stronger for it. After all, if you could get past the first five years and an infidelity, you could make it past anything.

But if that was true, why was Logan cheating on Ophelia? They should’ve had untouchable strength having been married all those years. Ideally, they-- Logan and Ophelia-- should’ve been happy with one another and not seeking out different sexual partners. Logan should not have been in that bar pretending to be single and he shouldn’t have been with Ororo.

Ororo. The name caused certain heartache and regret in Jean’s bones.

Ororo had been the one to convince Jean to go back to Scott. Ororo told Jean that she didn’t want to see another divorce. That it would be too depressing to see Jean turn out like Ororo-- not yet thirty and already divorced. Jean could add “adulteress” to the list of things Ororo now was.

Friendless, too.

That really hurt Jean. They were supposed to be sisters in everything but blood and apparently they were only sisters in name. The way Jean acted towards Ororo was horrible. She’d... overreacted. Jean was ashamed of not only how she embarrassed herself, but Ororo as well. They were adults and friend since diapers-- they should have been able to listen to one another without acting like a poorly written soap opera.

Jean hated what Ororo was doing but she especially hated how she responded.

She vowed to make things right and hear Ororo out.

“Jean?” Scott asked, noticing her quiet mood. “Everything alright?”

Jean forced a smile to her face. “Yeah... Never better.”





You must login () to review.