It was Andrea.

She stood in the entranceway to the kitchen, with her small, cinnamon colored hands clasped together. Her curious gaze was unwavering and she started to smile precociously at him, as if she knew something he did not.

“Um, hello Andrea,” said Logan shakily. For the first time in his life he was at a loss for words, feeling like a child caught with his hand in the cookie jar.

“Are you our daddy?” she asked him; the sassy smile still planted on her face.

Hearing the word ‘daddy,’ filled his heart with an unimaginable amount of joy, yet at the same time, he felt a certain amount of fear. ‘I managed adoptin’ and raisin’ Jubes. I can do this… I hope. God, I hope I don’t fail them,’ he thought.

Ororo saw that Logan was having mixed feelings. The happiness in his eyes was abundantly clear but there was an uneasiness to them as well, so she stepped in.

“Honey, why don’t you go back in the living room with your brother. We can all sit down and discuss who Logan is.”

And with that, Andrea padded off back to the living room to find LJ.

Logan let out a sigh and gently ran his fingers through his hair. He looked at Ororo, who threw him a sheepish smile.

“Well, how does it feel to be walked in on by your daughter?”

“That ain’t funny ‘Ro. Are we goin’ ta tell them who I am now? Or are ya goin’ ta explain ta me how they came about first?” he asked her gruffly.

She cocked a snowy eyebrow at him.

“I mean, I know how they came about,” he replied hastily, “But when did ya find out ya were pregnant?”

“Logan,” she turned away from him sighing, “I found out about two weeks before you left.”

He grabbed her by arms and roughly turned her around to face him.

“TWO WEEKS!” he shouted at her, anger and pain written all over his grim face.

She winced at his shouting; hurt was burning in her eyes, quickly replaced by a growing coldness. He knew he was going about the situation all wrong, so he started over.

“Look, I’m sorry fer yellin,’” he said, “But when were ya plannin’ on tellin’ me about yer pregnancy, ‘Ro?”

“Well, you didn’t leave me much of a chance to tell you. Besides, I was trying to find the right time.”

“THE RIGHT TIME?! The right time would have been when ya found out ‘Ro!”

“Look, don’t come in here and judge me Logan! How was I supposed to tell you?! I found out when you were off on one of your damn missions!” she threw back at him bitterly. “I wasn’t even sure if I was going to keep them, judging on how much you were around back then. I mean, I couldn’t even get a hold of you, remember? You led the secret life! I didn’t!”

“What do ya mean ya didn’t know if ya were goin’ ta keep them?! There was no way ya were getting’ rid of my kids!” he argued.

“Like you were around to even make that decision!” she replied angrily.

He stormed out of the kitchen and made his way over to the kitchen table, sitting down on one the chairs heavily. His hands twitched and he started playing with the salt and pepper shakers. ‘I need ta break something’,’ he thought. ‘Yeah, that’ll be good. Just scare her, bub. That’ll help,’ replied his conscience. His temper was raging inside of him like a volcano that was overdue to erupt. He needed to let off some steam.

“Like I said, Logan, I didn’t know if I was going to keep them! You were hardly here, probably because of your other family,” she continued.

“Stop fuckin’ bringin’ ‘em inta this equation ‘Ro. They are not the issue!” he countered angrily.

“Really! So what is the fucking issue Logan?”

“The issue is that ya kept the fact that ya were pregnant with my kids from me ‘Ro! Why didn’t ya tell me before I left on that last mission?” he asked her. The hurt was evident in his eyes as he searched for answers.

Ororo began to wring her sweaty hands nervously as she sat down beside Logan at the kitchen table.

“Logan, do you remember that night when I had prepared an exotic dinner and set up the evening so that we could sit around, just relaxing?”

Logan remembered that night and recalled that she mentioned that she had something important to tell him that night. As recognition dawned on his face, she continued.

“You had just come off a mission and I remember you called and said that you were coming home. I didn’t know you had two homes at the time,” she said feeling a little jealous of his other family. “How did you keep track of the amount of time you were spending and whom you were spending it with?” she asked, her train of thought momentarily derailed.

“That doesn’t matter Ororo. Finish the explanation.”

“Well, I had planned on telling you then, but once you walked through the door… You looked absolutely wonderful, and all of my thoughts left me. You started to kiss me… and well, if you recall, we didn’t even eat dinner…” she trailed off.

“So yer sayin’ yer damn hormones got in a rage and ya couldn’t remember that ya were pregnant?!” he asked sardonically.

“Stop being so cynical Logan! It’s not like you even let me speak. Besides, I wasn’t in the right mindset, I admit that. But I had planned on telling you in the morning, when to my surprise, what was I greeted with? Another note from you, saying that you had to go on another mission and that you would be back in two weeks,” she bit out.

He felt guilty that he had let her down, but he couldn’t contain the rage building up inside of him, and he let it out on her.

“That’s all fine and fuckin’ dandy ‘Ro, but ya had plenty of opportunities ta tell me about the kids! Me leavin’ was no excuse. Maybe, just maybe, if ya had told me about them then I would have stayed!”

“Oh please, don’t give me that crock of shit. If you didn’t bother to stay for your other family, what in this world, makes you think you would have stayed for them?” she asked coldly, “Especially, since I was just your mistress. Your little bed buddy.”

He realized that nothing he could have said would have helped his position. ‘But I would of have stayed for ya and the kids, Ro,’ he thought to himself sullenly.

“Ya didn’t even let them know the smallest detail about me?” he asked miserably, his grey eyes expressing a pain that words could not begin to describe.

“Logan, for a very long time after your supposed ‘death,’ I hated you for keeping the secrets that you kept from me. Now, I realized that the kids needed to know who you were, but I would have addressed that issue when or if they asked me. The situation never arose, and it was all so very painful for me. Do you understand?”

He got out of his seat and walked over to the front door. He stopped and turned around to say, “I don’t know, ‘Ro. I need some time ta think about this. I’m gonna go drive around for a little while, and then we’ll discuss this.”

She sighed. “Okay, Logan. What’s leaving us one more time?”

He winced at this, but left without replying. During the car ride, all he could think about was getting back with his girl, his Ororo. But now he just didn’t know if she would forgive him for the secrets he held from her. Even now when she talked about it, he could hear the anguish in her beautiful voice. He decided that he would give her some time and space to sort out everything, and in the meantime, he would get to know Andrea and LJ… their children.

Looking at his watch, he realized that it was almost 6:00. He had been driving around for over an hour and he needed to get back to them.

As he stepped through the door, LJ ran up to Logan and tugged on his pants leg. “Hey Logan! Ya wanna play with my new jet?” he chirped.

Logan reached down and picked up his little boy, and looked into his piercing eyes. ‘My boy,’ he thought with pride.

“Not yet, LJ. How about we go into the living room with yer mom and yer creepy-crawly sis, and talk about some things?”

“Mmm, okay,” he said, dramatically rolling his eyes, “But you owe me playtime.”

Logan laughed, “Okay kid, I promise.”

Ororo stood in the corner of the hallway, holding Andrea, both of them watching Logan interact with LJ. ‘He’ll be such an amazing father. Look at the chemistry he has with LJ,’ she thought emotionally.

“C’mon guys! Let’s go talk in the living room,” she called out.

After telling the kids who Logan was and Logan answered their questions, it was dinner time. Ororo walked into the kitchen to serve dinner, while the kids stayed with him. He enjoyed how they just opened up to him and accepted him. After dinner, he played with them until they became tired.

It was bedtime and Ororo let him put them to bed on his own. He read them a bedtime story and sat there while they went to sleep. He couldn’t bring himself leaving them again, but he knew he had to so he could clear his head and think about what he was going to do for their future.

When he came back downstairs, he saw Ororo sitting in the den, reading what seemed to be a financial report from her briefcase. Logan plopped down on the sofa across from her and blew out the air in his lungs.

Ororo took off her glasses and looked up at him, her cerulean eyes roaming over every inch of his body. She could feel her body yearning to be touched by him, but she wouldn’t allow what happened in the kitchen earlier to happen again. That is, until he had made his decision.

“Getting an eyeful, ‘Ro?” he teased, smiling knowingly as he caught her staring at him.

“Your hilarious, you know that? While you were upstairs, I fixed the bedroom down here for you, that is, if you want to stay?” she made it a question.

Just then, his cell phone rang and the same look of irritation was housed in Ororo’s eyes, in the same fashion they did in the past. She hated when his phone calls interrupted them. He went into the living room to take the call.

“Hello.”

“Hey Dad! Where are you?”

“Hey Jubes. I’ll be home in about two hours, or so, okay?”

“Where are you daddy? He could hear someone talking in the background. Are you at Ororo Munroe’s house?”

“What did you say Jubes?”





You must login () to review.