Author's Note: Before you read this-- I like Jean, but you've got to accept her reaction as realistic. You can't seriously be all smiles and accepting once you hear your best friend is pregnant.

“At least tell me what your date looks like,” Jean whined, watching Ro send a text to her beau.

Logan called her every day. It wasn’t new, he called her daily anyways, but he texted her more often. They didn’t really talk about the baby, but talked like they normally would. Ororo knew it was expected of her to get angry, but she knew they couldn’t talk the subject to death. Thinking about it made her worry and trust Logan even less. He made her swear that she would spend less time thinking about it and spend more time accepting it. After all, he had.

It confused her, knowing how easily the idea of her carrying his seed came to him. It was like the option of her not getting pregnant by him was an impossibility. He told her as much but in different words. Logan was going to be a dad and Ororo was going to be a mom. The idea was fantastical and heart breaking and real.

“Here we are. One rose tea without boba and one with. Have a nice day.”

“Thanks,” Jean smiled. Ororo copied the move whilst sipping her boba-free tea. So much heaven. Ororo’d been craving the sweet tea recently, often making pit stops after practice to buy the delicious drink. That was how Ororo and Jean ended up in the small cafe. They’d just come from dance practice, their clothes slightly sticky. When Logan heard Ororo still went to practice, he raised hell, but backed down when she said she was quitting the team in a few weeks.

Once they exited the cafe, Ororo tapped Jean’s arm. “Could you sit in my car with me for a few minutes? I have something to tell you.”

Jean furrowed her red brows. “Sure,” she said, suspicion in her voice.

Ororo and Jean climbed in, sipping their tea quietly for a few minutes. It was tense, but Ororo refused to acknowledge it. “You’re my best friend, Jean. You’ve been there for me since we were six and in the sandbox.”

“Sandbox buddies never die.”

“Very true.” Though I think you might after hearing this. “I’m pregnant.” There. Like a bandaid.

Jean rolled her eyes. “Dramatic, much? If you don’t want to tell me the name of your homecoming date, then don’t. I’ll know when we go to the dance anyways.”

“No, really. I’m pregnant.”

Jean sighed and put her tea in Ororo’s cup holder. “Yeah? By who? Dr. McCoy? Might as well be, you spend so much time talking with him.”

“Ew! Jean! That’s my teacher.”

“You’re getting grossed out by me saying you’ve boinked your teacher and you’re trying to tell me you’re pregnant?” Jean rolled her emerald eyes. “You’re whacked out of your head.” She crossed her arms under her breasts. “It’s not funny, Ro. So stop it.”

“I’m not joking,” Ororo deadpanned.

Jean narrowed her eyes at Ororo one more time. “Fine then. Show me the test.”

“I gave the test to Logan.”

“And who’s Logan, huh? The baby’s father?” Jean mocked.

Ororo grit her teeth. “Yes.”

Jean smirked. “And does Charles know? I bet he’s thrilled. Right? Just like the daddy? Did Logan ask to marry you? Is Charles going to give you away?” Jean giggled. “Am I going to be your maid of honor? Are you going to wear a white dress? Too late for that, don’t you think, Mrs. Logan?” Jean let out a bark of laughter. “And then you will ride away on a horse drawn carriage while we throw rice and release the doves!” Jean shrieked with laughter, doubling over.

Every word cut into Ororo. Don’t think about it. Accept it. She wanted to call Logan and tell him the entire thing. She wanted to be strong. She wanted to stop crying.

Oh, shit. When did she start crying?

The hazy feeling of deja vu edged at the back of her mind, letting her know the situation was becoming all too predictable and wasn’t getting any easier. But that’s what she expected, right? Who would possibly believe perfect Ororo would get herself knocked up? Apparently not her best friend.

Thick sobs stopped Jean. “Ro?” she said softly. “Ro?” she repeated. “Oh, my God. You really are, aren’t you?” she asked softly.

Ororo nodded, unable to lift her head from the steering wheel. “Yes,” she whispered.

“I don’t know what to say, Ro.” Jean’s eyes widened. “Shit.”

“You described my mood perfectly.”

Jean wrapped her arms around Ororo. “I’m so sorry, babes. I had no idea. I thought you were joking. I didn’t even know you were dating someone.” Jean paused. “I had an idea there might’ve been someone, but wasn’t...” Jean licked her lips. “How long?”

“Have I been pregnant? Been with Logan?”

“Both. Either.”

Ororo wiped her eyes. “Going by my estimate, I’ve been dating Logan for a year. He would say we’ve been together for two.”

“Two years and you’re just mentioning him now?” Jean asked, incredulous. Ororo started crying harder. She should’ve been able to handle Jean’s reaction, but it was the damned hormones. Ororo was always steady and levelheaded. “I’m sorry, Ro. Calm down. I’m not angry, just shocked.”

“He’s older than me. When we met I was only sixteen and he was already in his twenties. When we really started dating, I was seventeen. We started having sex when I turned eighteen.” Ororo licked her dry lips. The rose tea was totally forgotten at this point. Once she started talking, she couldn’t stop.

“How old is Logan...”

“Howlett. His real name is James.” Ororo wiped her eyes. “He’s twenty three as of last March.”

“Fuck, Ro.”

“Yeah,” she mumbled. Fat tears rolled down her eyes and Ororo chuckled. “And now we’re going to be parents.”

Jean sat back and brushed her bangs from her forehead. “This is crazy, Ro. How could you hide something like this for so long?” Jean glanced at Ororo’s stomach. “How far along are you?”

“Don’t know. But honestly?” Ororo looked down and fiddled with a strand of white hair. She needed a trim soon; the white mane was touching her waist. Logan loved her white hair, he said it was what caught his eye about her first. Second was her bright smile. “More than a month. Maybe two.”

“Two? Jesus Christ, Ro!”

“I panicked, okay? The first missed period was bad enough, but imagine being me and missing another? I can’t even tell my best friend about Logan, how do you think I’m managing keeping this fucking secret from my father? He’ll disown me!” Ororo wrought her hands, tired of thinking about the next step before the next few months. Acceptance. Acceptance.

The tiny feeling of bubbles came back.

Ororo wished it would stop.

Gripping her steering wheel, Ororo stared ahead. “I have to get going. Logan wanted to meet me--”

“To talk?” Jean said flatly.

“What else can we do, Jean?” Ororo hissed, not the least bit remorseful. “I’m late,” Ororo said, glancing at her car’s clock.

“No shit,” scoffed Jean.

Ororo glared at Jean. “Get. Out. Of my car. Now.”

Jean scoffed. “Fine.” In a huff, Jean unsnapped the buckle and threw the door open. When the slam of metal against metal came, Ororo peeled out.

Friends were fickle.

She had Logan and she still had her wits.

It was just as she expected.





You must login () to review.