Two days later, Logan finally emerged from his room. His haggard appearance was unnerving and the children steered clear of the angry mutant. He hadn’t spoken a word since Ororo’s departure other than grunts, growls, and grumbles.

He had spoken to the Professor or rather the Professor had scowled him for his actions but his words could not do to him what the look on her face did. The pain he saw in her face plagued his dreams, causing him to relive that moment over and over. The pain he experienced at her hands revisited him at the oddest moments. He could be in the shower and all of a sudden, his muscles would lock, like they did when she sent that bolt through him.

He had done the one thing he said he wouldn’t. Make her angry. On one hand, he didn’t think his leaving would mean anything to her but in the moments he was very honest with himself, he knew he did it to himself. As he said before, whatever happens happens but he didn’t think that phrase would come back to bit him in the ass.

Stepping into the shower after grabbing a bite to eat for the first time in two days, he was determined to find the woman he loved and hopefully, explain himself to her. He owed her at least that much.


Ororo guided the minijet through the sky, heading to Arizona. She had considered using her powers the whole way but decided against it. She circled back to the mansion. Entering unseen through the back entrance, she borrowed one of the minijets.

She called her friend who live in the arid state and asked him if she could stay with him for a day or two and he readily agreed. Though she knew she could go anywhere in the world, she didn’t want to be alone at that moment and decided that Forge was better than no one. She also figured she could tolerate two days with him before she would have to move on.

It was great to have friends in other parts of the world, she thought, as she stepped out of the minijet. She had stopped midway to change into something more comfortable and make herself presentable.

“Ororo, you are truly a sight for sore eyes,” Forge exclaimed approaching her with open arms. She allowed him to embrace her, barely returning the hug.

“I guess I deserved that,” he replied, referring to her lack of response, “I can stand here and apologize for what I did but what good would that do since I have moved on. Come and meet her.”

She rolled her eyes, mentally truncating her timetable in Arizona. She couldn’t believe that the second sentence he spoke after giving her a fake hug was a rationalization of why it didn’t make sense to apologize to her for leaving her after his rescinded proposed. She knew he was arrogant but she didn’t realize it was on this level. He was worse now than he was when they dated.

She had loved him and it had taken her several months to get over his walking out on what she thought was their love. She soon learned that her idea of love was not his idea of love so it was best that they went their separate ways.

Some may wonder why she, a woman of means and no financial boundaries (she was very wealthy, due to years of frugal living and lack of a house note and monthly bills), would go and visit her ex when she was fighting with her current boyfriend? Sometimes you have to see where you came from to really appreciate where you are, so that was her plan “ to see where she came from so that she could better appreciate the man who currently held that special place in her heart and life.

Deciding to make the best of the situation, Ororo put her smile in place and followed Forge into the house, mentally preparing herself to meet the one who Forge had moved on too.

Surprisingly, Ororo liked Forge’s new woman, who was in fact, as of that day, his fiancée. His very pregnant fiancée. Ororo and his fiancée Golden Ray hit it off immediately and became fast friends. Forge was unsure how to take this instant kinship between the women and decided that maybe it wasn’t a bad idea.

Golden Ray had been skeptical at first about meeting one of Forge’s exes at first but after speaking with Ororo, she liked her immediately.

Ororo stayed the two days with them. Though a guest, she soon felt right at home, thanks to Golden Ray. She even helped them decorate and paint the nursery.

Learning that they shared a love of tea, they found themselves spending a lot of time sipping Golden Ray’s fabulous blend, while sitting in the gazebo in the backyard, engaged in conversation and taking in the beauty of the earth around them.

That’s where she found herself on the morning of her last day, having tea with her new friend in the gazebo. Golden Ray, releasing a deep, cleansing sigh, turned to her new friend and smiled.

“What?” Ororo asked lightly,

“Why is there sadness in your eyes, even when you smile?” Golden Ray asked, “Is there someone who put it there?”

Deciding to be open with this stranger, Ororo told her about Logan and his actions. She told her everything that took place when he returned, even her electrocuting him. (Forge told her about mutants and she herself was one.)

“May I ask you a question?”

“Yes,” Ororo replied, sitting her teacup back on the saucer.

“Did you ever consider his leaving was not to leave you but to prepare his mind to for you?”

“Golden Ray, that does not make sense,” Ororo replied.

“Yes, it does. You yourself said that this man was use to being alone but you and he started a relationship, correct?”

“Yes.”

“As a loner, I had to spend time with myself when I learned that I was pregnant with Forge’s child. I spent a week on the reservation, preparing myself mentally for the next chapter of my life. I had to come to terms with the loss of my aloneness and embrace the idea of being with someone at all times,” she told her, having told no one other than Forge this story, “So you see, it was not that he was running from you, he was settling things so that he could be the man that you need, the man he thinks you deserve.”

Reaching over and taking her hand, “Take it from me, my new sister.” Ororo smiled at her, “The man went away to make sure that one he loved you and two, that he was ready to lay down his aloofness so he could take up the banner of love and companionship.”

“You raise some intriguing points.”

“I know of what I speak,” she replied, looking past Ororo in the distance toward the house where she spied two figures walking toward them, “And I would wager that this man is on his way now.”

“What gives you that impression?” Ororo asked.

“Because I think that him right there,” she said, nodding toward the men who approached the women.

“Ororo, this man is seeking a beautiful goddess and you’re the only one here that fits that description. Would you happen to know him?” Forge teased, holding out his hand to his fiancée, helping her to stand.

Ororo looked up at Logan, unable to read his facial features due to the rising sun.

“Logan, I presume,” Golden Ray inquired, holding out her hand.

“Yes ma’am. It’s a pleasure to meet ya,” he replied, taking her hand and gently kissing it.

Golden Ray, leaned down as much as her stomach would allow and whispered, “If you don’t want him, send him my way.”

Ororo gently swatted her arm, smiling after the laughing woman as she and Forge made their way, hand in hand, back to the house, giving them some time alone.

“Mind if I join ya?” he asked.

“It’s a free country,” she replied, not knowing how to respond to him.

“It’s beautiful out here,” he replied, leaning back a bit, enjoying the sunrise.

“Yes, it is,” she replied, taking a sip from her tea and leaning back. They allowed a comfortable silence to engulf them as they watched the sun continue its trek across the sky.

After a few minutes, Logan spoke, “Baby, I’m sorry.”

Baby, she thought, that’s a new one.

“I needed to clear my head. After that amazing night we had, I had to get away so I can figure out what I wanted to do.”

“Why couldn’t you do that at the mansion?” she asked, her voice void of judgment.

“Let’s just say that once a smell gets in my nose that I like, I seek it out. I couldn’t do what I needed at the mansion because I would have been distracted. I needed to take a step back to know if what I was doing was really what I wanted to do.”

“What were you doing?” she asked, unable to keep the hurt from her voice.

Hearing it, Logan stood and walked over and kneeled at her side, taking her hand in his.

“Falling in love with a goddess and it scared the shit out of me. So much so that I turned yellow and ran,” he told her, reaching up and wiping away a tear from her face.

“So that’s why I call while I was away. I had to make sure I was ready to take the next step,” he said, reaching into his pocket and pulling out a small box.

“What next step?”

“Making you my one and only,” he replied, opening the box to reveal two identical necklaces, one with a blue-grey stone, the other with a sapphire stone that matched their eyes respectively.

“I wanted to get something for us that when we wore it, it would make us think of each other,” he said, placing the blue-grey necklace around her neck.

“Logan, it’s beautiful,” she said, looking down at it, “Thank you.”

“So does that mean you forgive me?”

“We can work up to that,” she replied, making him chuckle softly, “But you are moving in the right direction.”

“That’s good to know,” he said, getting to his feet and encouraging her to stand, “There’s one thing I need you to do for me.”

“And that would be?” she replied, placing the sapphire stone around his neck.

“Dance with me,” he said, pulling an iPod Nano out of his pocket.

Ororo smiled at the sight of the blue device and watched as he selected the song he wanted.

When Whitney Houston’s Worth It started playing, she burst out laughing, causing him to smile.

“How did you know?”

“A little blue bird told me,” he replied, “Shall we dance?”

“Yes,” she responded, taking his outstretched hand and started swaying to the music. Soon, Ororo was whispering the song lyrics in his ear, making him hold her closer to him.





You must login () to review.