A/N: Well, we're at the half way point. Just wanted to say thanks to everyone who has read this fic. If you like it, take a moment to leave a review, letting me know what you think of the fic. Thanks again and here's the next chapter.



Chapter 16: A Visitor


“That was a very nice thing you did tonight,” Ororo told Logan as they took their nightly walk along the lake shore.

“What makes you think it was me?” he asked, pulling her toward him and turning so they could look out at the lake.

“Do you really expect me to think that a team building exercise at a karaoke club was Scott’s idea?” she asked.

“Well, when ya put it that way,” he replied, nuzzling her neck, “I wouldn’t either but truth be told he jumped at the idea when I mentioned it to him, which surprised me.”

“You know, for a guy who doesn’t do clubs, you sure have been clubbin’ a lot lately,” she teased.

“Technically, I’ve only been to one club twice. Club Mic is a karaoke restaurant,” he replied, turning her around so he could look in her face, “So it doesn’t count.”

“Mmm. Sure it doesn’t,” she replied, enjoying the warmth from his body.

“Besides, had I not gone to the club, ya wouldn’t have met me and been swept off yer feet by my charm,” he replied, kissing her forehead, making her giggle.

“Your charm?”

“Yeah. I can be charming when I want to be,” he replied, pulling back, giving her a mock look of indignation at her questioning his charming abilities.

“When you are, will you let me know so I can be a witness to it?” she replied and was tickled in response.

“Logan!! Stop,” she said giggling, trying to break away from his hold. When he stopped suddenly, she looked up at him, noticing the look of concentration on his face.

“What?” she asked.

“Shh,” he replied. His body stiffened and she felt him growl deep in his chest.

Without warning, Logan pushed her away as a brown blur collided with him, the momentum taking them toward the water.

Scrabbling to her feet, Ororo raised a fist, using electricity to turn her hand into a lantern and illuminated the fighting pair in the lake shallows. Sabretooth had gotten the upper hand and lifted Logan high above his head, tossing him like he weighed nothing, sending him flying through the air into the trees. Several trees fell as he flew through them.

Ororo had heard how Sabretooth was also a part of the experimentation that Logan endured. Though they had once fought side by side, when Logan freed from the mental shackles placed on them by the scientist, Sabretooth hated Logan because by destroying the lab, Logan ended any chance the larger mutant had of having metal on his bones. Since then, whenever Sabretooth saw an opportunity to harm Logan, he took it and so the feud began.

How he had gotten past the mansion’s security system was a mystery to be figured out later. Right now, Ororo had to prepare to do battle with an angry mutant that outweighed her by a couple hundred pounds and whose temper was just as fierce as Logan’s.

She hit the panic button on her comlink and heard the alarm going off in the mansion.

Hearing it as well, Sabretooth smiled wickedly as he made his way out of the water.

“Do ya really think they will be here in time to save ya?” he asked menacingly, moving with lightning speed to stand in front of her.

“I think you may be the one needing to be saved,” she replied evenly, not backing down from him.

“Mmmm, yer not afraid of me. Ya must not know who I am,” he said, relaxing his battle stance and doing a slow walk around her, “I haven’t seen ya here before because I definitely would have remembered a hot piece of ass like ya.”

Ororo keep her face impassive as he circled her.

“Damn girl, you smell good,” he said, leaning in very close to smell her, his face brushing lightly against her hair, “Especially when you get past the stink of Wolverine.”

“Get away from me,” she hissed through clenched teeth.

“Ohh and feisty too. Baby, ya need to come and be with a real man like me,” he replied, facing her, “And not a runt like Wolverine.”

Ororo didn’t appreciate him talking about Logan like that. “A man like you?” she scoffed, watching as his eyes narrowed. Aww, so he does have a weakness, she thought, keeping her face nonchalant and disinterested.

“You’re not much of one,” she told him, looking him in eyes, “Especially with all this damn fur. I’m into men, not animals.” She could see his eyes darken and knew that she had pushed the right button.

She ducked out of his way as he suddenly lunged, but wasn’t prepared for the swinging claw that caught her on the arm, causing three deep gashes in nearly the same place where Logan’s claws had left a mark. She gasped in pain, the momentum of his strike causing her to fall on her back. Before she could get to her feet, Sabretooth straddled her, snarling at her.

“I’m gonna show you just how much of an animal I can be,” he growled at her as he ran one claw down her leg, slicing through her pants, leaving a thick trail of blood in its wake, “And before I’m done, ya will be screaming for me, bitch!”

“Fuck you,” she spat in his face making him roar with anger before bringing his other hand up and slapping her, the force of the strike nearly dislocating her jaw. Groggy with pain, she fought against it to focus on using her powers against him.

A peal of thunder boomed and lightning struck the ground a few feet away from them. Instinctively, Sabretooth looked behind him and turned back to see that her eyes had become solid white.

Suddenly he was picked up by a gust of wind. His loud roar was cut off the instant he hit the ground by the massive lightning bolt that hit him, lighting up the night sky.

Ororo sat up slowly, gingerly touching her swollen lip as she felt a blood drop from her chin. Holding her injured arm to stem the bleeding, she looked over at Sabretooth as he laid a few feet away, convulsing in the sand as the volts worked their way through his body. The heavy stench of scorched hair rented the sky, causing Ororo to cough. Hearing a noise, she lifted a hand, armed with a lightning bolt, ready to defend herself.

Her eyes landed on Logan as he emerged from the woods, claws fully extended.

She could make out his heaving chest and the light reflected off his darkened eyes.

His gaze was analytical as he stalked closer to her, taking in her posture. She saw him sniff deeply. A loud, fearsome roar rented the air, startling her. If she hadn’t seen him do it with her own eyes, she would not have thought that a sound like that would come from Logan. She watched as he rushed toward Sabretooth who was still struggling with the effects of the lightning bolts.

“No,” she cried out, using the wind to push Logan away from the writhing man as their teammates reached the lake shore. She knew that Logan would suffer from the effect of the electricity was still coursing through Sabretooth if he came in contact of him. She struggled to hold him and the rest of the team at bay as she pulled the electricity from Sabretooth.

Ororo felt dizzy as the last of the electricity dissipated. She had never expended that amount of energy consistently and it, coupled with her blood loss, had drained her. Unable to stand, she collapsed, surrendering to the darkness.

*~*~*~*~*~*


Ororo awoke with a start. She groaned as the pain from her body registered in her mind.

“Lie still, baby,” she heard Logan say softly. She heard rustling and a beep and the top part of the bed began to lift, allowing her to sit up.

“Welcome back,” the Professor said from his place at the foot of the bed.

“What happened?” she asked, wincing as she discovered the pain in her face.

She saw Logan’s jaw harden at her reaction.

“Don’t you remember?” Charles asked.

She felt a slight mental nudge and the images from her encounter with Sabretooth flooded her mind. The image that stood out the most was the look on Logan’s face when he saw her and the roar he released as he headed toward Sabretooth. As that memory replayed in her mind, she looked over at Logan and reached out to touch his face.

“Are you okay?” she asked, looking into his eyes and seeing the grey was rimmed with black. She knew that look and what it meant. If she couldn’t talk him down, there was going to be hell to pay for what happened tonight.

He nodded, his eyes concerned. “Yeah. Better now that yer awake. How ya feelin’?”

“Everything hurts,” she replied. A thought suddenly came to mind, “Anna?”

“She had to be sedated. The guys couldn’t calm her down once she saw you,” the Professor said, looking over at the corner of the room where Anna lay, sleeping peacefully on one of the beds.

“And the others?” she asked.

“Everyone is fine. Just worried about you,” Charles told her as the infirmary doors opened and Hank and Scott walked in.

“Ah, our lovely patient is awake. How are you feeling, my dear?”

“Everything hurts,” she repeated.

“That’s to be expected. You’ve been through a terrible ordeal and lost a great deal of blood because Sabretooth nicked your brachial artery,” he told her, “But thankfully Logan is a universal donor so he donated enough to replace what you lost. Now, since this was our first blood transfusion, I’m not sure what the results will be but we’re hoping that the healing properties in his blood will supplement your own healing abilities and decrease your recovery time.”

“Hank, I don’t think she’s up for all of your medical talk right now,” Scott replied, taking in her sleepy, glazed over look.

“True but it was said for everyone’s benefit, not just hers,” Hank replied matter of factly, “Now that she’s awake, I must ask everyone to clear the room so that she can get some rest.”

“Take it easy for the next week or so, Ororo. Everything else can wait until you’re well again,” Charles told her before he nodded to Hank and Logan and turned, heading out the room.

“Logan,” Hank began.

“Not happening, so don’t ask,” Logan replied gruffly, setting his chair closer to Ro’s bed and taking her hand.

“If you insist,” Hank replied, going over to check on Anna who was still sleeping peacefully, “Anna should awaken in the morning. Good night all.” Hank walked out of the infirmary.

“Logan, you should go and get some rest as well,” Ororo said drowsily.

“Don’t worry ‘bout me. Ya just rest,” he said with a tone that told her even in her drowsy state that the conversation was done. He leaned over and kissed her lips softly, “I’ll see ya in the mornin’.”

She smiled and looked over at her sister before closing her eyes, falling into a restful sleep.

*~*~*~*~*~*


Ororo woke to the smell of breakfast. Her stomach growled in response, needing to be filled.

“Morning,” she said, as Logan sat the tray on the table in front of her.

“Mornin’,” he replied gruffly, kissing her forehead.

She could tell from his tone that he was still upset.

“Logan?”

“Ya need to eat,” he said, ignoring the question in her voice.

“Logan?”

“Not now, Ro. Remy’s gonna to sit with ya and Anna fer a while,” he told her as the door slid open and Remy entered, “I got some things I need to take care of.”

“What things?” she asked, knowing she should conserve her strength, possibly straining her already sore facial muscles.

“I’ll tell ya later,” he said dismissively before kissing her forehead, “Now eat.”

“Morning ‘chere,” Remy greeted her after he nodded a greeting to a fuming Logan as he exited the room.

“Morning, Remy,” Ororo replied softly, her eyes watching Logan as he exited. Sighing, she turned toward the tray, “Let me guess, this is the Logan everyone knows.”

“She smart and beautiful,” Remy replied playfully, glancing over at Anna as she stirred but stayed asleep.

“Whatever Remy,” she replied, taking a bite of her breakfast, “What happened after I blacked out? Did you guys have to fight Sabretooth?”

“More like save Sabretooth from the Wolverine.”

“That was the reason for the roar?”

“Yeap. Unnerving, non?”

“Very. I would not have believed it if I hadn’t seen it with my own eyes,” she replied taking a sip of juice.

“Remy thought ya met de Wolverine in de clearing?”

“I did but he didn’t roar,” she replied wiping her mouth, “How long does it normally take from him to come back to himself?”

“Depends on the situation. Remy tink this one got de Wolverine still scratching de surface,” Remy told her.

*~*~*~*~*~*


“What the hell, Forge! I thought the external security system was fully operational,” Logan growled at the inventor through their video phone connection.

“It is for the mansion and the main grounds. You and…what’s her name again?” Forge asked, struggling with the pronunciation of her name.

“Ro,” Logan said impatiently.

“Ro. That’s much easier to say,” he replied, getting distracted.

“Focus, Forge,” the Professor requested.

“Ah yes, you and Ro were possibly in an area where the system is still in test mode and would not have triggered the alarm.”

“Why was it in test mode?” Logan asked.

“I’m still working out the kinks. It was either the alarm sounds every time a wave crashes on the lake shore or set it in test mode so I can work out the kinks.”

“Did ya know about this, Chuck?” Logan asked the Professor.

“Not entirely,” the Professor responded, his eyes on Forge, “I knew it had some problems but not that it was in test mode.”

“Sorry about that. I got distracted by another project and the test mode went to the back burner. I will stop work on the other project and make this one a priority,” Forge replied, realizing he had dropped the ball.

“Damn right ya will,” Logan replied heatedly.

“Logan, please,” Charles began.

“Don’t tell me to calm down Chuck,” Logan told him, “Because of this fool, Sabretooth came to the grounds and beat and nearly raped Ro. How in the fuck am I suppose to calm down after some shit like that?”

“Watch your mouth when you’re talking me, young man,” the Professor snapped, his patience growing short, “I understand you’re upset about what happened but that doesn’t give you the right to disrespect me in my house.”

Logan glared at the Professor, breathing heavily as he struggled to restrain the beast within. After a few minutes, he was able to speak. “Sorry but I meant what I said.”

“Duly noted,” Charles replied, glancing over at Scott who remained silent, “Scott, will you work with Forge and Hank to make sure the entire property is covered by the security system and that it is fully operational?”

“Yes sir,” Scott replied.

Looking back to the screen, Charles continued, “Forge, we will prepare a room for you and expect your arrival within the week.” Forge sighed and was about to disagree but the Professor fixed him with a look that shut him up.

“Logan, come with me,” the Professor said as he headed toward automatic doors, exiting the War Room without a backward glance. Logan followed, reluctantly, knowing he was about to have his ass handed to him.

“I expect you as the co-leader of my team to be able to control your emotions while communicating with others regarding our business,” Charles said, turning to face the teen and took in the teen’s angry scowl, “I took a chance on selecting you as team leader. I did so with the thought that you would rise to the occasion and you have in some areas. It’s the other areas, like your mouth and quick temper that still make me question my decision. I know that your temper and mouth is as much as part of you as your mutation but I expect you to work on getting those in check when handling team business or I will need to relieve you of your leadership role. Am I clear?”

“Crystal,” Logan replied.

“Good, now go check on the ladies. I sense Anna wakening and Remy will need your assistance.”

“And Sabretooth?” Logan asked. He knew that the Team had placed the unconscious mutant in the holding cell, near the Danger Room.

“A Team is in route as we speak to secure his transportation to the nearest security facility. The service elevator will be used for his removal. Now, if you will excuse me, I have some things to attend to,” Charles told him, turning his chair in the direction of the elevator.

“Chuck,” Logan called out and the Professor turned to face him.

“Thanks.”

*~*~*~*~*~*


Anna’s waking up proved to be a test of the healing properties of Logan’s blood that flowed in her body. Anna looked over at her sister and hopped out of her bed and launched herself at Ro, upsetting the table that was thankfully cleared by a quick thinking Remy.

“Ro,” Anna cried, clutching to her sister, crying hard.

“I’m okay, Anna,” Ro struggled to say as Anna hugged her neck tightly. Ro felt the stitches being stretched. “Anna, baby you have to get up. You’re on my stitches.”

“Oh, sorry,” she said, releasing her hold and standing, wiping her eyes with the back of her hands, “I was so scared!”

“Yeah, me too,” Ro replied as the doors opened and Logan walked in, “But I’m fine now. So don’t worry. Go upstairs and get you some breakfast, okay?”

“Come on, ‘chere,” Remy said, holding out a hand to Anna, “Rogue making waffles and has a plate of ‘em waiting for ya.”

“I’ll be back okay?” Anna replied and Ororo nodded as she leaned over and kissed her cheek, “Love you.”

“Love you too,” she said as Remy escorted Anna out the room. Anna turned before the doors closed and waved.

Silence fell over the room. Logan walked around to the other side of the bed and looked down at the bandage on her arm and noticed the fresh blood that stained the gauze.

“Ro?”

“Anna got a bit excited and ended up on my arm,” she replied, watching him closely, “Logan, I’m fine.”

“Didn’t she see the bandage?” he muttered angrily going to sink to wash his hands.

“She wasn’t thinking Logan,” she said, listening closely as he rummaged around behind her. Soon he was back at her side and started cutting the stained dressing.

“She needs to be careful ‘round ya while yer healing,” he replied.

“Okay. I’ll let her know when she returns. Will that make you feel better?”

“No.”

“Okay. Then tell me what needs to happen for you to feel better, Logan?” she replied, gazing down at her arm when he removed the covering. She bit her lip to prevent the gasp from escaping but Logan looked at her. He had heard it and she saw that his eyes started to darken again.

“Logan…”

“This shit shouldna happened in the first place,” he said angrily.

“Are we back to this again?” she asked, feeling a sense of déjà vu, feeling like they were having a repeat of the conversation they had after the incident in the clearing. She jumped a bit when he touched the ointment to her arm.

“Sorry,” he grumbled.

Ororo moved her arm from his hold when he finished, causing him to look up at her questioningly. She shifted a bit and opened her arm, unable to lift her injured one.

“Can I get a hug?”

His face softened and he carefully let down the arm of the bed. He leaned in and embraced her, mindful of her arm. After a moment, she whispered, “Thank you for protecting me.”

“But I didn’t,” he replied his voice thick with emotion.

“Shhh, we’re having a moment here,” she said playfully, “You did. If you hadn’t pushed me away, who knows what kind of injuries I would have.”

She felt him nod against her shoulder. “Baby, I know your goal is to keep us safe and happy and it gets to you when something goes wrong but things are going to happen. So the most important thing is what you do in response to those incidents,” she told him, rubbing his back gently, feeling the tension leave his body. He pulled back a bit and kissed her. “Oh and one more thing,” she said, as they parted, “Tell the Wolverine I said thanks for scaring the mess out of me.”

“Yer welcome,” a deep rumbling voice. She looked at him and he gave her a feral grin, his black eyes shining. She watched in awe as his eyes turned grey and Logan was himself again.

“That wasn’t funny,” she told him, hitting his shoulder.

“What? He heard ya and wanted to respond,” Logan told her.

“Who would have thought that the Wolverine would have a sense of humor?”

“Yeah, who’d ah thought,” Logan replied, smiling.

“Now that’s more like it,” she replied, referring to his smile, “That’s the Logan I’ve come to love.”

“Love?” he asked.

“Ummm,” she began but was interrupted as Anna, Rogue, Kitty, Jibril, Remy, Scott, and Jean entered the infirmary.

Saved by the bell, she thought.

“You’re not getting off that easily,” he whispered to her, kissing her cheek before turning to greet their friends.





You must login () to review.