Chapter 17: Talent Show


“Ro, I can’t do it,” Anna told her for the third time as Ororo sat in their room, watching her sister pace.

It had been three days since the incident with Sabretooth. Her arm, though still in a sling to prevent her from moving it much, was mostly healed, thanks to Logan’s donated blood. True to his word, the Professor had given her the week off but after a few hours of doing nothing, she started working again. Her compromise was to take the afternoons off once the students arrived from school so she could help the girls get ready for the talent show and help organize the Mutant X Factor extravaganza.

Charles agreed to her compromise and now she sat, watching her sister pace, the same thing she had done since she arrived home.

“Okay, tell me what’s really wrong?” Ororo said, getting to her feet and stopping her sister’s movements, “Three days ago, you couldn’t sit still because you couldn’t believe you were selected and now after being back at school one day, you’re ready to give up? Something’s not right and I need you to tell me what it is.”

“Nothing happened,” Anna said, unable to meet her sister’s questioning gaze.

“Lil’ girl, please. Try that with someone who doesn’t know you,” Ro said, “You’re lying and you’re going to tell me what happened.”

“Will you stop calling me that?” Anna said, silently happy for the change in subject as she threw her sister an indignant look before going over to the balcony and snatching open the curtains.

“Fine, I’ll stop calling you that if you tell me what’s wrong,” Ro responded going over to join her.

“The whole school was talking about the selections. During lunch today, the upperclassmen in the show started talking loudly about how I didn’t deserve the spot and that I should give it up to someone who could really sing,” she told her, looking out over the grounds, not wanting her sister to see how hurt she was.

“Okay and what did you do?”

“Nothing. I just kept walking and acting like I didn’t hear them. Then they started talking about my clothes and shoes when they couldn’t get a rise out of me, saying how they were from Walmart and how poor we were. Logan shut them up when he heard it but the damage had been done,” she replied, a tear sliding down her face, “So I don’t want to do the talent show anymore.”

“Really? You’re going to let some kids make you turn down the one thing other than the swim team that you’ve gotten excited about since going to that school?” Ororo asked incredulously, not believing that this was her sister, “Who are you and what have you done with my sister? The Anna I know would have told them to kiss her ass and then did all in her power to prove them wrong.”

She heard her sister sniff before she looked at her, her eyes shining with unshed tears. “Anna, you are a beautiful girl with an outstanding voice and you have a chance to show those kids and everyone else that you earned that spot,” she told her, turning her to look at her, “Don’t you let those kids discourage you from anything that you want to do. You’ve come too far to give up now and I will be damn if I let you let some spoiled brats poison your mind. You are better than that and you know it. It doesn’t matter where you came from. What matters is what you do with the blessings you’ve been given. Remember where we’ve come from and what we have had to overcome to be where we are.”

Anna didn’t speak as the tears fell freely.

“Now, do I need to come up to the school and put them kids in their place?” Ro replied.

“No,” Anna said, knowing that she would, “I got it.”

“You sure, because you know all I need to do is blink and them kids won’t know what hit ‘em,” she said, teasingly but serious.

“No, Ro. I got it,” Anna said before hugging her sister tight, “Thanks.”

“No problem, lil…Anna,” Ro stuttered but was rewarded with a smile from her sister.

“Okay, so now that you are feeling better, what do you say we go and work on the song?”

“Sure.”

*~*~*~*~*~*


“Stop fidgeting,” Ro told Anna as she finished her makeup.

“Ro, you’re taking too long,” Anna replied, “It’s almost time.”

“Hush girl, I got this,” Ro said, adding one final touch before turning her sister to the mirror, “Now, open your eyes.”

Anna looked and couldn’t believe her eyes. She was amazed at the image before her. She knew her sister was good with makeup and had worked wonders before but she outdid herself this time.

“Ro, it’s perfect,” Anna said, getting to her feet and hugging her sister tight.

Ro chuckled and hugged her back. “Alright, that’s enough. Don’t wrinkle your outfit. I’m going to grab my seat. Knock ‘em dead, doll,” she told her, grabbing her purse and heading to the door.

“Ro,” Anna called out and she looked back, “Love you.”

“Love you too.”

*~*~*~*~*~*


Anna took her place at the microphone as the noise died down from the cheers that greeted her when her name was called. She looked out over the seemingly endless sea of people and got stage fright. Panicking, she looked around for her sister but could not see her. Just when she was ready to give up, she heard “Bandit!” to her right and when she looked, she saw her sister standing, along with Logan, Jibril, Remy and Rogue.

“YOU GOT THIS!!” Ororo shouted, cupping her hands around her mouth to amplify her words.

Anna nodded and gave the musician the signal and began the song Listen from the Dream Girls Movie soundtrack.

Listen to the song here in my heart
A melody I start but can't complete
Listen to the sound from deep within
It's only beginning
To find release

Oh,
The time has come
For my dreams to be heard
They will not be pushed aside and turned
Into your own
All cause you won't
Listen...

[Chorus:]
Listen,
I am alone at a crossroads
I'm not at home in my own home
And I've tried and tried
To say what's on my mind
You should have known
Oh,
Now I'm done believing you
You don't know what I'm feeling
I'm more than what you made of me
I followed the voice you gave to me
But now I gotta find my own.

You should have listened
There is someone here inside
Someone I thought had died
So long ago

Oh I'm screaming out, and my dreams will be heard
They will not be pushed aside or worked
Into your own
All cause you won't
Listen...

[Chorus]

I don't know where I belong
But I'll be moving on
If you don't...
If you won't...


...listen to the song here in my heart
A melody I've started but I will complete
Oh,
Now I'm done believing you
You don't know what I'm feeling
I'm more than what you've made of me
I followed the voice you think you gave to me
But now I gotta find my own,
My own.


The roar of the crowd was deafening as Anna finished her last note. Ororo looked around and saw that the crowd was on its feet! She looked back at her sister with a huge smile and received one back in return.

Anna bowed and waved as she left the staging, the crowd still cheering.

Her performance was one of the last three for the night. When the last act finished, the MC walked back on stage and asked all the contestants to return to the stage.

“We’ve seen the best and the brightest Bayville High has to offer. Let’s give all of our contestants a big hand,” the MC said, clapping along with the crowd. When the noise died down, he pulled the envelope from his pocket.

“And now for the winners. In third place…”

*~*~*~*~*~*


“Soo, how does it feel?” Ororo asked her sister as they sat at a table at Club Mic.

“Okay. I was hoping to win but second place is good, I guess,” Anna replied smiling at her.

“Girl, please stop with modesty act,” Allison replied, nudging Anna with her elbow, making her smile, “You were awesome and deserved the trophy. If you ask me, I think you won but because Natalie’s a senior, I guess the judges took pity on her and wanted to give it to her since it was her last year.”

“I agree,” Jibril replied as he and Logan approached the table, “Them judges were confused but that’s all good. There’s always next year.”

“But until then, we got you this so you know you’re always a winner in our book, kiddo,” Logan said unveiling the large sheet cake with an image of Anna in the center, singing at Club Mic.

“Oh my goodness,” Anna said, standing to get a better look, “When did you, how did you?” She looked up at the guys and smiled, tears coming to her eyes.

“Remy is a pretty good cell phone photographer,” Rogue replied.

“Yeah, that be Remy’s job. To capture the moments,” he replied, pulling Rogue toward him for a hug and quick kiss.

“So say a few words, cut the cake, and choose a song,” Logan said, holding Ororo, an arm around her waist.

“Well, guys, I can’t thank you enough. Jibril, Remy, Logan, and Rogue, thanks for being my captive audience even after hearing the song a hundred times. Ali, Kitty, and Jubes, thanks for your advice and sisterhood. It really meant a lot to have your support especially being that we were in competition with each other,” Anna said.

“Girl, you know we got your back. X-Men look out for each other,” Jubilee replied.

“I’m learning that every day,” she replied with a smile before turning to her sister, “And none of this could have been possible if a weird looking black chick hadn’t taken pity on me and brought me along with her. Thanks Ro for everything. I wouldn’t be here had it not been for you and could not have done this without you.”

Anna went over and hugged her sister, Logan stepping back to give her access.

“Thanks for everything Ro. I love you,” Anna whispered.

“Love you too,” Ororo replied as she pulled away and wiped the tears from Anna’s face as she smiled, “Now, enough of the water works, Aqua. Cut your cake and pick a song.”

“Only if you sing with me,” Anna countered.

“Nope, you’re in a different league than me now. I’m not worthy to share the stage with you,” Ororo replied, leaning back close to her sister, “But my goal is to get you know who to the mic for a duet.”

“In yer dreams, darlin’,” Logan replied from the other side of the table, having heard what his girlfriend said.

“I tell you, there’s no privacy when you have a man with super keen senses,” Ororo joked.

“Got that right,” Logan replied, causing everyone to laugh.

The Team made it back to the mansion almost at midnight. Tired and ready to turn in, most of the group headed to their rooms, mindful of their noise level as they made their way through the dimly lit halls.

“Ready to head up?” Logan asked Ororo as they sat in the Charger, watching as Anna and Jibril walked toward the mansion, his arm around her waist, her head on his shoulder.

“No. You?”

“I can hang as long as ya can,” he replied, reclining both seats and opening the moonroof.

“Ya okay?” he asked, leaning back and looking over at her, enjoying how her eyes twinkled in the moonlight.

“I’m fine,” she replied. He could hear the sleepiness in her voice. “Have you ever had a moment in your life where you were afraid to be too happy? Like if you were, then immediately things would change and bad stuff would start happening?”

He knew exactly what she meant. That’s the way he felt after she agreed to become his girlfriend and many days after, especially when they were alone, like now.

“Yeah,” he replied simply.

“How did you move from one moment to the next? I mean, what do you do when the fear tries to overshadow the happiness?”

He reached over and took her hand and kissed it gently, holding it in his. “I just focus on the happiness and keep it movin’. I’ve had a lot of shit happen in my life and I try to hold onto the happiness I have as long as I can,” he replied.

“But aren’t you afraid of the bad stuff happening again and life going back to being shitty?” she asked, hiding a yawn behind her other hand.

“Yeap but if I let that fear rule my life, when will I have a chance to enjoy the happiness? Ro, all ya can do is live one moment at a time and enjoy every moment of happiness ya have. Then ya deal with the bad stuff when it happens and try to remember yer happier times to help get ya through the bad times.”

“Wise words from a wise guy,” she replied sleepily.

“I’m sure I got that from the Prof at one point or another,” he replied, not wanting to take the credit for his perceived wisdom.

“That may be true but you had to understand it enough to be able to reiterate it. Some of the credit goes to you for being a willing recipient of the wisdom,” she told him with her eyes closed.

“True,” he replied, thinking about what she said. He loved to hear her talk like that, sharing her own wisdom with him. “Ro?”

“Hmm?” she asked, her eyes still closed.

“I need to tell ya something,” he started.

“Okay,” she said softly.

“Since we’ve been together, I’ve had some of the happiest days I’ve ever had and I want to thank ya for being a part of it,” he told her.

“Mmm hmm,” she replied, her breath becoming slower, as she drifted off to sleep.

Knowing she was asleep, Logan leaned over and whispered in her ear, “I love you, Ororo Munroe.” He kissed her cheek gently before pulling away, content with watching her sleep in the moonlight.

Thirty minutes later, Logan made his way into the mansion, his sleeping girlfriend in his arms. As he neared her room, he heard the unmistakable sounds of someone making love. When he heard Anna call out Jibril’s name and picked up their combined scents, he knew the stuff was about to hit the fan.

Wanting to delay the heartache that his girlfriend was sure to experience, he passed her room and headed to his own, laying her on his bed. He sat up, watching her sleep, blissfully unaware of the coupling that was taking place next door. He waited until he heard the bedroom door open before stepping out of his and confronting Jibril.

“What the hell did ya do?” Logan asked him in a low growl, causing Jibril to jump a foot in the air.

“Man, don’t do that,” he replied, his hand over his chest, willing his heart to slow down.

“I’m not the one ya need to be worried about. What the hell were ya two doing?” he asked.

“Man, ya know how it is. She was feeling good and we had talked about it so we figured we would take the next step, ya know,” Jibril replied, happy to be able to share his conquest with one of his friends.

“So it was something ya both agreed too?” he asked, crossing his arms in front of him.

“Yeah, we talked about it and knew we wanted to do it.”

“What about Ro?”

“What do ya mean, what about Ro?” Jibril asked dumbly.

“Did ya talk about what would happen if she found out?”

“To be honest, dude, no. We didn’t have that conversation. I mean, she’s fifteen, I’m sixteen, no parents, and we were careful. I thought it would be all good,” he replied, his hand nervously rubbing the back of his neck, not wanting to think about the wrath of his girlfriend’s sister when she found out, “Besides, Anna said it was cool and that ya and Ro were probably doing the same thing so we didn’t think it would be a problem.”

“Yeah, well ya thought wrong. Man, after all those girls been through, why in the hell would ya let something like this happen?”

“Man, Logan, it wasn’t like that. She wanted it as much as I did.”

“Ya missing the forest for the tree, bub,” Logan replied, reaching for the door knob and pushing Jibril inside.

“Logan,” Anna gasped, covering herself with her blanket.

“What happened Anna?” Logan asked, his arms crossed in front of his chest.

“Nothing I didn’t want to happen,” she replied defiantly, looking from him to Jibril who stood next to the bed.

She’s got balls, Logan thought.

“What ya gonna tell Ro?”

“Nothing. I’m grown. This is my life and I choose to live it how I want,” she replied, carefully tucking the sheet around her body so she could stand.

“Really?” Logan asked, about to call her bluff, “Well, then. I guess ya don’t care if I tell Ro about this.” He turned toward the door and Anna shouted, “No, don’t.”

“Thought so,” he replied, turning back to face her, his face a mask of anger, “Now tell me one good damn reason why I shouldn’t? Ya know what she’s trying to do for ya. Now ya want to go and try to fuck up everything.”

“Logan, I…” Anna began, a tear sliding down her cheek.

“Logan, I nothing. Ya need to come clean with Ro about this and do it soon or else I will,” he said angrily before leaving out the room and heading back to his.





You must login () to review.