Chapter 18: Hits the Fan


Still working half days as she continued to recover from her injuries, Ororo headed up to her room, needing to talk to her sister. She wanted to see why Anna had been acting strangely since the night of the Talent Show. Anna had started to hang out with her friends more so than her and that was to be expected but it seemed like Anna was avoiding her.

Wanting to get to the bottom of it, she opened the door and called out, “Anna, what’s…” Ororo couldn’t finish the rest of her question. She found her sister and Jibril in bed, having sex.

“What the fuck are you doing?” Ororo yelled before she knew it, the air in the room growing thicker by the second.

“Ro, I can explain…” Anna started, reaching for the sheet to cover her breasts.

“Explain? Really? How in the fuck do you think you can explain this?” she asked.

“Ro, calm down,” Anna replied fearfully as the wind picked up in the room, causing items from their dresser to fly through the air.

“Don’t tell me to calm down. How could you? After all of the shit I’ve done for you, breaking my back, going without so that you can have, just to have you try to fuck it up by screwing Jibril?” Ro spat at her, her eyes changing colors.

“Ro, we thought you knew,” Jibril said, trying to shield Anna from the floating debris, “Logan…”

“What about Logan?” she asked, her voice low.

“We thought he told ya. He said if we didn’t, he would and I thought…” Jibril continued, not realizing the mistake he was making.

“Why would he need to tell me anything about something going on with you?” Ro asked her sister.

“Because I knew how you would act if I told you about this,” she replied, getting to her feet and ducking as a glass flew at her.

“Really? So me finding out by walking in on you fucking Jibril was better than you telling me?” Ro asked, forcing the wind to die in the room but thunder boomed outside.

“Either way, you would have had the same reaction.”

“And why not? You’re risking everything we’ve worked for, for fifteen minutes of pleasure,” Ro shouted.

“Hey, I resent that,” Jibril responded, taking offense.

“Shut up,” the sisters yelled at him in unison.

“Ro, it was just sex. Damn, get a clue,” Anna responded, throwing on her clothes.

“Just sex? And what happens if you get pregnant? What happens when the Professor finds out?” she asked her sister, going toward her, “Why would you risk derailing our plans for that?”

“It wasn’t my plan. It was yours. I never wanted any part of it,” Anna yelled back.

“What? Are you kidding me? Who was the one crying to me about being tired of living the way we did weeks ago? You were just as tired as I was living on the street, struggling to get by, stealing money to get food,” Ro told her, “You had every opportunity to voice your opinion about it. You had a chance to go against it and for what? There was nothing left for us out there. Did you forget about what happened at the club the night we got here? That was the path we were heading down if something didn’t happen. Did you forget that you were the one who convinced me to listen to Remy and Logan that night to come to the mansion?”

“No, I haven’t forgotten but that doesn’t mean that I wanted the same thing you wanted. I am content in my life right now and the only thing that was lacking was some passion, so I got some,” Anna replied, “I didn’t tell you because you wouldn’t understand being the overbearing, frigid bitch always in my fucking business and trying to control my life.”

“You wouldn’t have a fucking life if it wasn’t for me taking your ass out of that foster care system where the only thing they thought you were good for was what is between your legs. And then you turn around and willingly give it up to some boy you’ve only known a few weeks?” she replied angrily, “You became my fucking business when I made the decision to bring you with me. Now that you’re in a safe place with what you need, I’m an overbearing frigid bitch trying to control your life?”

“Yeap and I don’t need you anymore. I got my own life and you need to get yours,” Anna replied nastily, “So fuck off, Ro.”

“Fuck off? How dare you say that to me after all I’ve done for you?” Ro said, snatching her arm and forcing her to look at her after she turned her back on her.

“Yeah, fuck off and take your hands off me!! I’m not your fucking child. And you’re not my mother. You can’t keep treating like a kid. I’m just as grown as you are,” she shot back, facing off with her.

Jibril had snuck out while the two girls argued and went to get help. Logan and Rogue were with Kitty, Jean, and Jubilee on a mission, leaving Remy, Peter, Alison, and Emma to man the fort. Jibril found Remy and Peter first, telling them they needed to get to Ro’s room fast.

Remy dropped what he was doing and ran to their room, just in time to see Anna rear back and swing at Ororo. Ro called up a wind and slammed her into the opposite wall, pinning the girl.

“If that’s how you feel, then fine. Get your shit and get the fuck out of my room and my life. Do whatever the hell you want because from this point on, I don’t give a good gotdamn what or who you do,” Ro yelled at Anna before turning and blowing the balcony doors open and flying out of them, into the stormy weather.

As soon as she left the room, the wind died down and Anna landed in a crying heap on the floor. Remy and Jibril rushed to her side. Snatching away from both of them, she got up and ran out of the room.

“What the hell happened, J?” Remy asked, looking around at the destruction of the room and wondering where his friends had gone.

“It’s a long story,” Jibril replied, walking toward the door with Remy behind him, going to search for his girlfriend.

Ororo, please return to the mansion, Charles requested telepathically.

Not right now, Professor. I’m sorry but I really need some time away, she replied, as the wind dried her tears as they fell.

Very well. Return when you’re ready. We will be here. Be safe, he replied.

Thank you, she replied, encouraging the wind to blow faster.

*~*~*~*~*~*


“Anna?” Jibril called out as he approached her sitting on the dock at the lake.

Her hair was wet from the rain shower that ended when Ororo left the mansion.

“I’ve really messed up now,” she replied, staring out at the lake, clutching the sheet to her.

“It can be fixed,” he replied, signaling to Remy that he had could take it from there.

“Not when you basically tell the person you love to fuck off and that you don’t need her anymore,” she replied looking over at him with tear filled eyes, “I hurt her, Jibril. I never meant to say all those things to her ever because I know she does it because she loves me.”

Jibril wrapped her in his arms as the sobs racked her body. “I didn’t mean to say that to her but I couldn’t control it.”

“It’s okay, baby. We’ll get through this together,” Jibril reassured her.

*~*~*~*~*~*


That was a fuckin’ waste of time, Logan thought as they exited the Blackbird, worn out from their day long mission, returning empty handed.

Though tired and hungry, Logan did the first thing he did whenever he returned from a mission, he looked for Ro. Walking through the foyer, he noticed Remy entering the mansion.

“Hey,” Logan greeted him and he jumped, startled by his voice.

“What’s wrong with ya? Why ya jumping like ya seen a ghost or something?” Logan asked, smelling the anxiousness wafting off him, “What’s wrong?”

“Ro’s gone,” Remy said simply.

“What do ya mean, Ro’s gone?” Logan asked, his anger rising, “Where did she go?”

“Don’t know, mon ami. She had a fight with Anna about Jibril and left,” Remy replied, suddenly tired.

“Fuck,” Logan cursed, turning and heading to the War Room.

Logan, she needs some time alone, Charles told him telepathically.

She’ll get it after I find her, Logan replied.

Logan pulled up the list of comlinks and clicked on Ororo’s name. When he saw the address, a smile crossed his face and he headed to the garage.

“Ya find ‘er?” Remy asked, waiting for Logan in the garage.

“Yeah, I’ll bring ‘er home. Stay with Anna and make sure she’s okay,” Logan told him and Remy nodded, watching Logan peel out of the garage, hot on the trail of his girlfriend.

*~*~*~*~*~*


She knew it wouldn’t take long for her friends to find her. Not that she was hiding or anything, she just didn’t want to be at the mansion.

The words her sister said to her reverberated in her mind, making the tears spring up in her eyes again. She heard the pitter patter of the rain and knew that her careful training had been undone by her emotional outburst and current state. She concentrated on pulling the rain back and could feel the rain lessen to a gentle sprinkle.

Club Mic was slow for a Monday and the wait staff were walking around, stocking items in between taking care of their customers. The waitress for Ororo’s table came and refilled her water glass and asked if she was ready to order. It was the third time she had asked the question and the waitress hoped that the teary eye woman would order something other than water and was rewarded when she asked for a small cheeseburger combo.

“It’ll be right up,” she told her, starting to walk away but the sadness in Ororo’s eyes stopped her. The waitress turned and sat across from her.

“I know it’s none of my business, hun, but just keep the faith. All things will work out for the best,” the waitress told her, patting her hand comfortingly before getting to her feet and heading away before Ororo could respond.

Sighing, she reached for a napkin to wipe her eyes and heard a familiar voice.

“Come here often?”

She looked up and saw a blast from her past. Her heart rate increased as her eyes fell on the man from her dreams. It can’t be, she thought, her face becoming an emotionless mask.

“No,” she replied simply and looked away, hoping he would get the hint. She had asked for a table toward the back so she could be alone and had been given one. Now she wished she had asked for one closer to the rest of the diners. Now the one person who she hoped she would never see again stood in front of her.

“You know, of all of the foster kids that came through, I could never forget the one that got away,” he said, sliding in the chair across from her and touching her hand, “Ya left a lasting impression on me that night and I’ve had a flame burning for ya ever since.”

Ororo recoiled at his touch and gazed back at him with hate filled eyes, saying nothing.

“I noticed ya here the other day with a larger group of misfits and hoped that ya would return alone and lo n behold, my prayer was answered,” he said, giving her a leering smile that made her flesh crawl.

“Not tonight it hasn’t. So if you don’t mind, I would like to be alone,” she replied as calmly as she could.

“Now, ya see, since I feel like God sent ya back heah for me, I can’t rightly do that,” he replied leaning back in his chair.

“God doesn’t know you,” she replied, feeling the emotion building in her chest. “Now, I’m asking you one more time to please leave me alone,” she replied, her voice getting deeper.

She’s one of them muties, he thought excitedly, seeing the flash of white in her eyes and hearing her voice deepen. I always knew she was special. “Now Roro, don’t be like that. We old friends. Can’t a pair of old friends share a meal?” he asked as the waitress delivered her order. She glared at him as he continued talking, pulling fries from her plate.

Disgusted beyond belief, Ro got to her feet and left, not looking back when he called out after her. She gave the waitress more than enough to cover her bill and tip, and headed outside. Once out in the cool night air, she took a deep breath and released it slowly. Before she could take a step, someone grabbed her from behind.

“I told ya, ya would be mine, bitch and I mean that,” he said, slobbering on her neck, a chill running down her spine.

It pissed her off that he had the gall to touch her “Get your fucking hands off me, you nasty bastard,” Ororo said angrily, throwing her head back, viciously head-butting him in his nose.

He yelped in surprise and released her, kneeling on the ground as blood poured through his hands.

“Bitch, ya broke my nose,” he replied, hocking and spitting a bloody blob in her direction which she sent right back at him, “You dirty mutie.”

Ororo had turned to walk away but his comment struck a chord and she turned back to face him. “So because I’m a mutant I’m dirty? What about you, you scaly bastard? You enjoy ruining little girls’ lives by touching them inappropriately and taking something that should be given? What does that make you?”

“The scum of the fucking earth and if I was a different person, I would rid the world of your presence but I will not lower myself to your level,” she replied, looking down at him, “But if you ever touch me again, it will be the last thing you do.”

She turned and calmly started walking toward the edge the parking lot. She heard a familiar roar as the bike pulled into the parking lot and for a moment, she forgot about the man behind her. Suddenly, she heard her name and turned away from her boyfriend to see the bloodied man charging her.

Before she could call up a bolt of lightning, she was pushed aside as Logan tackled the guy. Ororo could hear the sickening sound of breaking bones when Logan collided with the guy. Scrambling to her feet, she watched as Logan landed three blows in rapid succession.

“Logan, stop!” she pleaded, knowing better than to get any closer to them.

Breathing hard, he looked back at her, his eyes solid black, his fist raised in mid swing.

“Please. He’s not worth it,” she told him, reaching out a hand to him, “Please.”

He looked back down at the unconscious man and growled. He knew the guy was still breathing but barely. As he stood, two police cruisers slid to a stop in the parking lot a few feet away from them, sirens wailing and lights flashing. The cops hopped out of their cars and rushed over, their hands hovering over their weapons as people from the restaurant came out of the building to investigate.

After giving their statements, Ororo and Logan were free to go. He had been given some ice for his hand by the waitress who testified that the guy was a creep and had been bothering Ororo before the altercation.

After the ambulance took the guy away, Logan walked her to his bike.

“Ya okay?”

“Yeah,” she replied, hugging herself.

“Come ‘ere,” he said, pulling her to him as he leaned against the bike, taking a subtle sniff.

“Did he touch you?” he growled, smelling the sickening smell of the man on her.

“Yes but I’m okay,” she said, immediately feeling him tense in her arms. She looked up at him as his eyes became solid black again. He turned and watched the ambulance as it moved out of sight.

“Logan,” she said, trying to get his attention. She reached up and caressed both cheeks with her hands, slowly turning his face toward her.

“Look at me,” she told him, as his eyes fell to meet hers, “Wolverine, it's okay. Everything is fine. I’m okay. I need Logan now, please.”

She watched, still amazed in the transformation, as his eyes changing from black to grey.

“Why did he touch you?” Logan asked, his voice still deep and rumbling.

This time, he felt her body tense up and he held her at arm's length so he could look her in her face. She lowered her head. Needing to see her eyes, he lifted her chin with his finger but she refused to meet his gaze.

“Ro?” he demanded in a low growl.

“He haunts my dreams,” she replied softly before she sighed.

“What?”

“He was my first foster father,” she replied, chuckling humorlessly, “The first to molest me and the first guy I fought off me.” Stepping away from his embrace, she looked up at him with defiant, tear filled eyes. “I guess it true what they say…you never forget your first.”

“Why didn’t ya say somethin’?” he asked, grabbing her arms roughly.

“For what? So you could kill him?” she asked, snatching away from him and glaring back at him.

“It would have been worth it,” he growled, his claws inching out.

Sighing, she knew if she didn’t calm down, there would be no stopping him.

“No, it wouldn’t. Not if it means you adding more blood to your hands,” she said calmly, take a step closer to him and laying her hands on top of his, “I believe he will get what’s coming to him sooner than later and when that happens, it will be more than we could ever do to him.”

“I wouldn’t bet on it,” he growled as he slowly retracted his claws, careful not to nick her.

“Maybe, but there is one thing you can do for me,” she replied, stepping in between his arms and wrapping her arms around his neck, smiling when his hands went around her waist.

“And that would be?” he asked, calmed by her touch.

“Finding a reasonable hotel for the night,” she replied, “I think we could both use some rest.”

*~*~*~*~*~*


Twenty minutes later, Logan unlocked the door to the room. He requested one with two beds, not wanting to give Ro the impression that he expected anything. When she saw the room, she smiled at his consideration.

“Go hop in the shower. I’m going to grab us some grub,” he told her, kissing her temple, “Be right back.”

Ororo took a long shower with very hot water in an effort to rid herself of the smell of her foster father. Though she believed she could still smell it, she knew it was only in her head. Stepping out, she wrapped her hair in a towel as she dried her body. With nothing else to wear, she threw on her shirt and panties to sleep in.

When she stepped out the bathroom, Logan looked up from the TV and gave her a tried smile.

“You look like you’re ready to drop,” she told him, going to his side and touching his cheek. He closed his eyes as he leaned into the touch.

“I am but wanta take a shower and eat first,” he replied, opening his eyes and getting to his feet, “I picked up some stuff from the gift shop I thought we could use. Back in a few.”

She checked the bag and saw toothbrushes, toothpaste, deodorant, and bodywash. Laid out on the bed was an oversize t-shirt with the hotel’s name across it. She shook her head at his thoughtfulness.

When he stepped out the bathroom in a pair of shorts and a white tee a few minutes later, she was dressed in the t-shirt and had made two plates from the food trays he brought back.

“Thanks,” he said, taking the plate from her.

“No, thank you, for everything,” she replied, biting into her food, “Either I’m very hungry or this is really good.”

“I think it’s both,” he said, tearing into his food. They ate in silence, watching the show on the TV. After they were done, Logan collected the trash and took it out. When he got back, all he wanted to do was lay in the bed and drift off to sleep but he knew there was another conversation they needed to have.

“Ro,” he began, sitting beside her on the bed.

“Let me guess, you heard about the fight,” she said, more of a statement than a question, looking over at him.

“Yeah. I met Remy in the lobby after the mission,” he replied.

“How’s Anna?” she asked, not able to help herself.

“Don’t know. Got Cajun watching over her,” he replied, falling silent. After a moment, he spoke. “Ro baby, look. I’m sorry I didn’t tell ya about what happened,” he began but she stopped him.

“If you had been there at the time of the argument, I would have laid into you as well,” she replied honestly, looking up at him, “But after calming down and thinking about it, I know it wasn’t your place to tell me. She was woman enough to do it so she should have been woman enough to tell me.”

Logan, anticipating suffering the wrath of his girlfriend, sighed with relief, pulling her in a tight hug.

“Thank ya, baby. I was afraid ya were mad at me,” he replied.

“The mighty and fearless Logan afraid?” she asked, pulling away from him.

“Ya don’t know my girlfriend. She’s nice and easy going until ya piss her off. Then ya better watch out,” he replied, making her smile, “I think she even strikes fear in the Wolverine.”

A low growled came from him as the Wolverine made his disagreement with the statement known, making Ro chuckle. When he returned to himself, she told him, “I don’t’ think the Wolverine agrees with that.”

“I think he’s right. He even scares me sometimes,” he replied, looking down at her with a smile, “Ready for bed?”

“Yes,” she replied and yawned on cue, causing Logan to yawn.

“Don’t do that…now ya got me yawnin’,” he replied, “Come on, let me tuck ya in.”

“Only if you join me,” she replied coyly, winking at him.





You must login () to review.