Chapter 3: The Club


Ororo and Anna arrived at the club early so they could find a vantage point that gave them a good view of who entered the club. From there, they would pick their marks for the night. Though not proud of their actions, they still needed to eat.

Dressed in kill in their “borrowed” dresses and flawless makeup, they blended in with the older club goers.

Ororo made a habit of wearing a wig and brown contacts to help her blend in. Tonigh’'s selection, a short chestnut color wig, enhanced the young woman’s natural beauty. She arrived at the club looking at least 23, with a fabulous dress that hugged her curves and flawless hair that fell around her face in waves, emphasizing her almond shaped eyes.

Taking her place, she sipped the cup of water she got from the bar. With eyes like a hawk, she scanned the room as it filled up with those ready to party the night away. Ororo’s eyes met her sister’s and Anna did a subtle nod toward the door. Ororo looked and smiled, seeing the group of four with 2 white men, a white woman, and a black man. Scrutinizing their outfits and body language, Ororo figured they were tourists. Glancing back at her sister, she nodded her agreement and watched as Anna left her post and blended in with the partiers, headed toward their marks.

Giving her a chance to get in place, Ororo scanned the room again before slipping from her chair. Seeing that Anna had made contact, she made her way through the crowd, headed toward the other side of the club. She noticed her sister chatting with the black male of the group a few feet from where the one of the white males and the female sat. Noticing how close they sat, Ororo figured they were a couple. Now where did the other guy get to, she wondered as she considered how to approach the group. Before she could make a decision, it was made for her.

“Excuse me, darlin’,” Logan told the beautiful young woman whose face he recognized from the briefing they had earlier with the Professor. Logan reached out and grabbed her arm, helping to steady her.

He noticed her sister immediately once he and the team walked into the club. He figured that the other girl was close by. Logan used the excuse of getting a drink to search the club for her. He noticed her a few minutes later and watched as she made her way toward the table where Remy and Rogue sat. This can’t be that easy, he thought, bumping into her.

“No, excuse me. I should have been paying attention where I was going,” she replied, shaking her hand to rid herself of her spilled drink. Luckily, most of the liquid landed on the floor instead of them. Looking up into his grey eyes, her heart skipped a beat as she got lost in them for second, not sure what had come over her.

Logan gazed down at the beautiful young woman. An immediate sense of protectiveness overcame him and he involuntarily tightened his grip on her. He knew she was the reason the Team was there but he didn’t expect to have this type of reaction to her, especially after bumping into her.

“Umm, thanks,” she replied slightly pulling away, missing the warmth of his touch immediately. Wow…he was warm, she thought, smoothing down her dress with one hand and holding her empty cup with the other.

“Don’t mention it. Can I get ya another drink?”

“Sure. A Sprite would be nice,” she replied.

“Sprite it is. It’ll be easier to order yer drink from our table. The bar was a madhouse. Would ya like to join us?

“Sure,” she said, taking a step in the direction he indicated. Logan followed closely, guiding her through the crowd, while serving as a wall to protect her from being jostled.

“Name’s Logan by the way,” he leaned over and said in her ear, to be heard over the music.

“Nice to meet you, Logan. I’m Ororo,” she replied.

“OrRo,” Logan said, struggling to pronounce her name, making her smile.

“It’s okay. Call me Ro,” she told him, leaning up toward his ear, his arm instinctively going around her waist, “So Logan, do you make it habit of bumping into girls at the club?”

“Only the beautiful ones,” he replied. Was he flirting with this girl, he thought, as Ro said thank you.

Okay, this is going to be an interesting night, Ororo thought, enjoying the feel of Logan’s arm around her waist and missing it when he dropped the hold when they got closer to the table. She couldn’t help but wonder why she was reacting the way she was. Normally, she had to fight the cringes she felt when a guy touched her but she didn’t have that same response with Logan. Weird, she thought.

When they arrived at the table, Ororo saw Anna sitting between the other two males.

“Well, well, who do we have heah?” Remy asked, giving Ororo a once over, silently admiring the beauty before him.

“I’m Ororo but you can call me Ro,” she replied, figuring it would be easier to use her nickname. She took the seat next to the female with the white streak in her hair. Logan took the seat next to her. “And you are?”

“I’m Remy, chere. Nice ta make yo ‘quaintance,” he replied smoothly, taking her hand in his and kissing it gently.

“Stop flirting, swamp rat,” the girl scowled him before turning to Ororo with a smile, “I’m Marie.”

“Nice to meet you, Marie,” Ororo said, with a slight smile. I like her, she thought before turning her attention to her sister.

“Anna. Hey girl, small world.”

“Hey Ro,” Anna replied.

“Ya know each other?” Marie asked, going along with the ploy.

“Yes, we’re in the same English class at York,” Ororo said, turning her eyes to the black male, “And you are?”

It was hard for Ororo to stomach guys near her sister but she knew it was a necessary evil. Normally, her sister would show subtle signs of nervousness but they were absence tonight. I wonder if she’s having the same type of reaction to “her” guy as I’m having to Logan, Ororo thought, watching the guy’s lips move and focused on what he was saying.

“Jibril. Nice to meet ya,” he said, reaching across and shaking her hand.

Logan watched the exchanges silently, wondering about the strange feeling he had. He had only met the woman five minutes ago but he had this irrational need to protect her. Then when their eyes met, it was like something came over him. Like nothing else mattered at that moment but her. Makes no sense, he thought, mentally shrugging off the feeling.

An hour later, the ladies got up and went to the restroom together, leaving the guys alone.

“Tink that ‘em?” Remy asked as he watched ladies make their way through the club.

“Anna for sure but I thought the other chick had white hair and blue eyes?” Jibril asked. He arrived at the Institute at the behest of his ailing grandmother who took him in after his mother put him out of the house, tired of putting out the fires her son created. Better known as Blaze, he had the ability to produce and manipulate fire.

“It’s her. She wearing a wig and contacts,” Logan said, spying the telltale signs as he sat next to her, the faint traces of blue in her eyes and the presence of a few errant white hairs on her dress.

“Did either of you find it strange that they came to us instead of us having to track them down?” Jibril asked.

“What can Remy say, de women can’t resist when Remy around,” Remy told them, flipping a coin around his fingers.

“Whatever dude. I think something’s up,” Jibril replied, rolling his eyes at his friend.

“Yeah, I don’t think so either. They got something up their sleeve,” Logan replied distractedly, his eyes searching the crowd.

Remy, always the constant observer noticed that Logan’s eyes never strayed too far from the dark beauty when she was around. Now that she was gone, he watched his friend watch the crowd, looking for the girl. Remy watched his longtime friend and knew that the man was intrigued and figured he would have a bit of fun. “Seems that Ro caught de Wolverine’s ‘tention,” Remy said, smiling over at his team leader.

“Cool it, Gumbo,” Logan growled, his eyes still trained on the crowd.

“Yeap, he got a ting fo chere alright,” Remy said, nudging Jibril who shook his head at the Cajun.

Logan growled again, a bit louder, a warning to most of his teammates. Everyone except Remy.

“Alright Remy. I would tread carefully if I was you,” Jibril told his friend.

“Listen ta what Remy tell ya. They be a couple ‘fore long,” Remy said and received a low snarl from Logan.

“Either ya shut yer trap or I’ll do it for ya,” Logan said, leaning forward so Remy could hear him clearly, his eyes flashing angrily.

“Alright, alright,” Remy said, his hands raised in surrender, “Cage the beast, mon ami. The femmes returning.”

“Ohh, Jibril, would you like to dance?” Anna asked excitedly as the DJ started the tribute to the Dirty South. Lil Jon’s Snap Yo Fingers flowed from the speakers, causing an influx of people on the dance floor.

“Fo sho,” he said making her giggle as he took her hand and lead her to the dance floor. Jibril, raised in the ATL, was very familiar with the music. He fell in with the steps from his childhood, impressing Anna. She followed him with her own, causing him to look her with appreciation as she followed him easily.

“Do you dance Logan?” Ro asked him, sipping her drink, her eyes on her sister and Jibril holding their own on the dance floor.

“Nah, not really,” he replied, looking over at her. Seeing the disappointment in her eyes, he shocked himself when he added, “But if ya want, we can give it try.”

Ororo smiled and happily took Logan’s hand.

Logan ignored the shocked looks of his teammates and followed Ororo as she led him to the dance floor. What the hell did I get myself into? Logan thought watching as the crowd got crunk to the tunes of Lil Jon and the Young Bloodz.

“Don’t worry, I got you,” Ororo told him, smiling at the look on his face, “Just follow me okay?”

“Are ya seeing this, Remy?” Marie asked, having a hard time closing her mouth as she watched Logan follow as Ororo lead him through some steps.

“Yeah. This definitely blackmail material,” Remy said, pulling out his phone and taking some shots, including one with Logan looking up at frowning at him.

“Ya are losing that phone before the night’s over,” Marie replied, laughing at Logan’s expression before Ororo drew his attention back to her.

“Maybe but the pics are already on the phones of several of our classmates at the mansion, chere,” Remy replied.

“I can’t believe Logan’s dancing. Look at him,” Marie exclaimed, laughing and clapping her hands, happy that her grumpy team leader was having a good time.

Ororo was happy to see the white boy getting crunk. She knew they were drawing looks but she didn’t care. For the first time in a long time, she was having a good time. She smiled and laughed as she watched him mimic her moves. His movements were jerky at first but became fluid the longer they danced.

He shocked her a few times, changing things up on her, challenging her to follow him. Happy to oblige, she switched to the move he was doing at the moment but then followed through with one of her own.

That’s how they danced for the 20 minute tribute to the Dirty South. The crowd roared with pleasure as the opening bars of the cool down song started. Cupid’s Cupid Shuffle came through the speakers, causing people to start doing the dance where they stood.

“Watch me, okay?” Ororo yelled as she stood beside him, guiding him through the steps.

Logan couldn’t believe he was out at a club and dancing no less. He smiled back at Ororo whose enthusiasm and happiness was contagious. He could tell he shocked her with his moves. During his imprisonment, he was trained in various forms of martial arts and had to pick up the moves quickly. It was that skill of mimicry that helped him not make a fool of himself on the dance floor. And as hard as it was to believe, he was having a good time and it showed.

The DJ slowed things down so that people could catch their breath and grab something to drink. Logan, not ready to deal the teasing words and looks from his teammates, pulled Ororo to him and started leading her in a slow dance.

“Aren’t you tired?” she asked in his ear, slightly winded, happy for the slowdown and his strong arm.

“Not yet. You?”

“I can hang as long as you can,” she replied, knowing that end of the slow dance was the best time to make her move. She was sure her sister was thinking the same thing, as she spied her hugged up with Jibril a few feet away.

“For someone not really into dancing, you sure can move,” Ororo said in his ear.

“I had a good teacher,” he replied, adjusting his arms around her waist, pulling her closer.

“Oh really? They should be commended,” she told him, making him smile, “So do you go to clubs often?”

“Nope. Not really my scene.”

“Okay. So you don’t dance and clubs aren’t really your scene and yet here you are, in a club dancing with me,” she said, leaning back to look at him, cocking her head to the side, “So I have to ask, why are you here?”

“My job,” he replied vaguely.

“What kind of job sends you to a club?” she asked, “You a music producer?”

Logan chuckled and shook his head, taking the opportunity to push her away and turn her.

Whoa, watch out now, she thought, giggling as she went twirling.

“I work at a school and my Professor sent me here on a recruiting trip,” he replied as he pulled her back to him.

“So did you meet with the recruits?”

“Ya can say that,” he said, “But I’m not sure they ready to make the move.”

“Oh. Maybe if you spend some more time with them, they will be willing to come to your school,” she suggested.

“Yeah, I hope so,” Logan replied, “What year are ya at York?”

“I’m a sophomore,” she told him. Up until that question, she smelled faintly of vanilla and shea butter. But his question seemed to make her nervous, changing her smell a bit, leading him to believe she wasn’t telling the truth.

“Really? What ya gonna do after ya graduate?”

“I don’t know, teach maybe. I really like school and would like to stay in them as long as I can,” she replied, looking over at her sister who gave her the signal to let her know she had hit her mark. She saw the lights dimming and knew that her time had come.

“Logan, it’s been a pleasure but my ride is summoning me. Thanks for the dance and the drink,” she said, giving him a tight hug and lingering kiss on the cheek, “I’ll see you around.”

She stepped away and was swallowed into the crowd before Logan could mutter a word. Shit, he thought as he looked after her, touching the cheek she kissed softly. Confused by his quick attraction to this girl, he made his way over to the table where Remy was standing, an angry look on his face.

“Why didn’t ya answer yer comlink?” Remy asked, his red eyes blazing.

“What? It didn’t,” Logan said, gazing down at his bare arm, the indention of his watch/comlink still visible on his tanned skin.

“Fuck,” Logan said, taking off with his team in hot pursuit. So that’s her angle. Find a mark and rob him blind. Well, I ain’t the one, he thought angrily, going through the crowd as quickly as he could, ignoring the comments behind him.

“Logan, slow down,” Marie called out, struggling to make it through the crowd without people touching her skin. Remy slowed down so he could stay with her. Catching Jibril’s eye, Remy nodded, telling him to go on pursuing Logan.

Nodding back, Jibril kept up the pursuit of the feral mutant. By the time he arrived to the club’s front door, Logan was nowhere in sight.





You must login () to review.