Story Notes:
I made the banner for the story from 'my' vision of Ro and Lo in this fic, from pics of Christian Kane and Gabrielle Union, you don't like the image well ask me if I care...go on ask me (in case you're wondering 'I don't care') :P
*Something Primal*


There it was again, that noise. She bolted upright in her bed in a fright, her wild eyes scanning the darkened corners of her bedroom. Every night for the past week she had been awoken by the frightening sounds of someone or something. It was almost like the cries of an animal, it always started out as if the animal were enraged but eventually the sounds would change to the sounds of a wounded animal.

She had asked others in the house had they heard the noises at night, and the answer had always been ‘no, you’re probably having a nightmare’. For the most part she too had come to the same conclusion and that reassurance had been enough to allow her peace and to drift back off to sleep, but not this night. This night the sounds were so mournful and tragic that she felt her heart ache for whatever creature had created them. Unable to stand it any longer, the not knowing and the thinking she was losing her mind; she threw her legs over the side of the bed and exited her room. She entered the hallway with the only illumination being the moonlight that shone through the many large windows that aligned it. She hurried towards the staircase where she paused hoping to hear the howls again that would guide her further. She didn’t wait long before the low pitch of the distressing howl filed her ears, and she hurriedly descended the stair following the howls. She wasn’t sure why her instincts told her that the sounds were coming from within the mansion and not from outside, but she moved to the lower levels of the house and the howls became louder. She was familiar with the lower levels it housed the danger room where she and her classmates would practice their ‘powers’. She also was familiar with the medlab having visited it on numerous occasions when she or a fellow classmate had gotten hurt, and it was here that the howls seemed to be emanating.

As she got closer to the door of the medlab she could hear Dr. Lehnsherr or Dr. Mags as the students had taken to calling him, due to his mutation, and Prof. Xavier talking. She listened intently but only a few words drifted out to her hiding spot behind some boxes filled with medical supplies that littered the corridor. She heard ‘too wild’… ‘Dangerous’ from Dr. Mags and ‘In need’… ‘welcome here’ from the Professor. Then there was a few moments of silence which caused her to lift her head, but she quickly dropped it again as she saw Dr. Mags and the Professor exiting the medlab. The Professor paused for a second and looked towards where she was hidden, and she cursed silently as she quickly put up a mental block to try and shield herself. But she knew that the Professor was very powerful and if he truly wanted to see into her mind he could. However, the Professor continued down the corridor with Dr. Mags away from the medlab and away from where she was hidden. After a few minutes to make sure that they were not returning she moved from behind the boxes and cautiously moved to the door of the medlab. As she stood in front of the doors they didn’t swoosh open as they normally would but that didn’t deter her, and with a sly smile she pulled out the bobby pin that had been holding her hair into a bun atop her head. She straightened the pen and then used its end to pop off the case covering the security pad on the side panel of the door. After a few seconds unplugging and then cross connecting some things the door swooshed open easily.

She took a tentative step inside the medlab as the low howls continued for a millisecond and then stopped. She moved to the door where she had heard the howls and opened it, and then stopped dead in her tracks.

“Oh my God,” She gasped out as she stared across to the boy who lay on one of the medlab beds. He too watched her and his eyes were so dark and deadly that it gave her pause and she quickly dropped her head and averted her eyes from his. Her eyes moved to where the boy’s hands were shackled to the metal wall above his head, while his ankles were strapped to the bed. He lay perfectly still as his eyes raked over her, studied her, registering her smell to his memory. He sensed no danger from this one but he did sense a lot of fear. The fear rolling off of her was so thick he had to snort a couple of times to clear it from his nose. They both remained there silently watching each other for several moments. She noticed the boy’s wild and tangled hair that seemed matted in some places, his tattered clothes and dirty flesh. The boy looked… ‘feral’ was the first word to pop into her mind.

“That would be an accurate assessment, Ororo.” The Professor spoke from behind her and Ororo jumped with a fright and turned to the unexpected presence at the door entrance.

“Oh Professor,” It was all that fell from her lips. The boy who had been quietly watching her suddenly growled and struggled against his bindings, as he shot wild eyes from the white hair female to the bald male. The boy’s actions made Ororo jump once more as she refocused upon him.

“It’s all right, it’s all right,” The Professor’s calm voice spoke out and Ororo wasn’t sure who he was trying to reassure, her or the boy. At that moment Dr. Mags entered the room with a syringe.

“I told you Charles that we should sedate him when we are not here to monitor him and you young lady should not be down here at this time of night.” Dr. Mags spoke as he thumped away the bubbles in the syringe.

“No Erik,” The Professor held up his hand to still his longtime friend. “The last thing he needs from us is to be poked and prodded, please try to remember where he came from.” With a deflated sigh Dr. Mags lowered the syringe and gave a nod as he cast sympathetic eyes to the boy who continued to struggle and growl. Ororo watched the boy curiously and recognized something about the boy’s sudden agitation. The way he would look at her with desperate, fright filled eyes and then in the next instant cast angry, dark, and dangerous eyes upon the Professor and Dr. Mags. Without realizing it she took a step forward to where the boy stood and the boy leaned forward in the bed and grunted at her.

“Ororo…” Dr. Mags called out to her in a hissed voice as he moved to stop her, but again the Professor held up a hand to still him, and the Professor watched in fascination.

“I don’t think he will hurt me.” Ororo stated as she took another step to the bed and the boy seemed to rock a bit in the bed as if in excitement, and again he kept snapping his eyes back and forth between the female and the two males in the room. “I think that he thinks ‘you’ are going to hurt me.” She stated as she stood right next to the bed now. The boy in the bed seemed to calm a bit as he leaned as far forward as his shackles would allow him and stared at the white haired female, but occasionally shot warning glares to the men near the doorway. Ororo continued to make it a point not to stare directly at him, but made quick glances into his steely gray eyes.

“It would seem that you are correct again Ororo,” The Professor spoke out. “It seems Logan only perceives ‘adults’ as a threat, or maybe just males.

“Logan,” She whispered out, simply repeating the name she had heard, and the boy, Logan, instantly locked his eyes onto hers. He clearly understood and knew his name. “Why do you have him chained and gagged like some wild animal?” Ororo asked in a demanding tone and then she reached out and began to undo the gag in Logan’s mouth.

“Ororo, No!” Dr. Mags called out in fear as he moved forward but not before the gag fell away and exposed the snarling mouth of the boy. Logan had incisors that to Ororo resembled those of the Lions she would see back home in her native Africa. Logan disregarded the girl before him and locked a deadly glared onto Dr. Mags. “We have him chained and gagged because he is like a mad dog.” Dr. Mags replied and with the sound of scraping metal, six metal claws slid effortlessly from the boy’s hands, three on each hand. Dr. Mags stepped back telling just by the look on Logan’s face that he meant Ororo no harm but would seemingly tear into his hide if given the chance.

“It is ok Logan,” Ororo spoke softly to him and Logan again snapped his eyes to her at hearing his name. “It is all right, we will not hurt you. You are safe here.” She continued and he furrowed his brows at her and threw what she read as a ‘yeah right’ look, as he purposely yanked at his shackles before he silently settled back against the pillows. She watched with great interest as the blade slid back and disappeared into his hands. “Does that hurt?” She questions but only vocalizing her wonderment and not expecting an answer.

“Every time,” A gruff voice replied and everyone in the room cast stunned and shocked eyes upon the boy. “What!?!” He barked at their disbelieving gazes. “No matter how I may look or how ya treat me I aint some fuckin untamed animal, I’m educated and I can speak.”

“Please mind your language Logan,” The Professor spoke out to him.

“Yeah, fuck you too,” Logan snarled out at the man as he looked to him with hate filled eyes. His eyes resettled upon Ororo’s as she gasped out.

“That is not nice Logan.” She said as she frowned a bit and Logan actually felt shame and slight despair that he had obviously upset her.

“Can I please go now?” Logan directed to the men in the room.

“I do not think that would be wise.” The Professor replied. “The facility where we tracked you to over two weeks ago, where you escaped from…they seemed to be well funded and I suspect by the government. The things they did to you, I don’t think they will readily just let you walk away from their project.”

“Yeah well I volunteered and then decided ta un-volunteer, it’s why I broke out.” Logan said.

“Good God boy why on Earth would you volunteer for the things that they have done to you?” Dr. Mags questioned his voice disclosed his horror and disbelief.

“They offered to make my bones indestructible, and since I got pretty tired of my claws breaking off I signed up,” Logan answered as Ororo stood still watching him, curiously her eyes darted to his hands. “I didn’t sign up for all the other sick shit they did ta me. They figured I could survive their ‘tests’ due to my healing factor.”

“Your healing factor,” Dr. Mags repeated and in reply Logan allowed one of the blades on his right hand to come out and then he turned his head and moved his face against the sharp edge. Ororo’s eyes doubled in size and her mouth fell open as she watched Logan open up the flesh on his face with a deep cut, and then the look upon her face remained as she continued to watch as the gaping wound instantly closed. “Amazing….simply amazing, Ororo here is the only mutant I have been able to study closely with a healing factor, though it is not as fast as yours.” Dr. Mags’ words made Logan once again look to the girl who stood before him, this seemingly kindred spirit. His eyes roamed over the exposed flesh that peeked out from the cotton camisole and matching shorts she wore, and he noted that she had no scars or blemishes of any kind on her skin. Ororo shifted a bit, feeling uncomfortable under his gaze.

“It’s alright darling, I won’t bite cha.” Logan spoke to her in a lowered voice and she lifted her slightly bowed head up and locked her eyes to his. She noted the slight smile upon his lips and couldn’t stop her own lips from curling upward as she smiled sweetly in return. “So will you please release me now?” Logan then said more loudly to the others in the room as he turned to face them.

“Of course,” The Professor replied.

“Charles…” Dr. Mags quickly interjected.

“Erik we only restrained Logan due to the state we found him in,” The Professor spoke. “You were truly as wild as a ferocious animal Logan.” He went on to explain to the boy. “You wouldn’t speak and when I reached out to your mind, there was nothing except the most primal instincts. I can see and sense that now you have regained your ‘humanity’, if you will. So there is no need to restrain you. But please know my boy…*I can and will stop you from hurting yourself or others*.” The Professor spoke the last part telepathically and briefly push feelings upon Logan that made Logan feel more tied down than he currently was. Logan nodded his understanding to the wheelchair bound man, and he knew that the man’s outward appearance was quite misleading to just how powerful he really was.

“Alright ‘Wheels’, I’ll be on my best behavior.” Logan said and then shook his shackled hands. Ororo had to swallow down the giggle that wanted out from hearing the nickname Logan had given the Professor. The Professor himself even smiled in amusement.

“Very well,” Dr. Mags agreed and he stepped forward as pulled the keys to the shackles from his coat pocket. “But please note that I have the ability to generate and control magnetic fields, and you have bones of metal. I too will not allow you to hurt any of the other students here.” Logan listened and also took note that the man hadn’t mentioned stopping him from harming himself. Just hearing the two men before him speak and watching how they interacted, Logan could see that one had a more darker nature than the other. Dr. Mags worked on Logan’s shackled hands while Ororo began to remove the restraints upon his ankles. Once free Logan threw his feet over the side of the bed and hastily stood and he rubbed at the chaffed skin on his wrists.

“Ororo,” The Professor voice called out to her and she jumped a bit, startled after being pulled from her silent appraisal of Logan. She noted that he had to be the most hairy and muscular boy she had ever met. He didn’t look to be much older than her 16 years, and he stood at about eye level, though Ororo was sure he was a couple of inches shorter than her. “Why don’t you escort Logan to one of the vacant rooms, one with a bathroom so he can freshen up? Grab some sweats from the danger room for him to wear, and we can see about getting you some more appropriate attire in the morning.” Ororo gave a nod to the instructions.

“No need, I aint stay’n” Logan huffed out though he made no move to actually leave. He stood with his eyes honed in on the adults in the room as he tried to gage if they would allow him to leave freely, or try to restrain him again.

“That is your decision of course, but I do hope you will reconsider Logan. At least for the night, after your ordeal you must be tired and hungry.” The Professor spoke.

“Yes,” Ororo quickly yelped out, three sets of intrigued eyes fell upon her. Something in her panicked at the thought of this boy, she didn’t even really know, leaving in the middle of the night. “There is plenty to eat I…I could fix you something…i…if you’d like. Also the rooms…they are very spacious here and…and the beds are very comfortable too.” She stuttered out in a more calm tone and was rewarded with a smirk from Logan.

“And what would you fix for me ta eat darlin?” Logan asked thoughts of leaving suddenly pushed to the back of his mind.

“Anything, what would you like?” She asked coyly. Logan tilted his head slightly and then raked his eyes over her frame before he replied.

“I aint picky, so chef’s choice.”

“All right then a sandwich, chips, and soda it is.” Ororo announced with a slight smile as she clasped her hands together in front of her.

“My favorite, how did j’ya know?” He asked and his tone told that he was being playful. It only lasted a moment before Logan looked back at Dr. Mags and the Professor. “So how long I been here anyway?”

“Nearly two weeks,” It had been Dr. Mags to reply. “The first week you were out of it, I swear it was if you were in some kind of hibernation. When you awoke a few days back you were as we’ve stated very wild…violent, thus the need for the restraints. You wouldn’t speak in fact until tonight I didn’t think you were capable. I have been sedating you to feed you intravenously, because trying to hand feed you proved…dangerous.” He added and he rubbed his still bandages finger, which had gotten too close to Logan’s teeth.

“You are welcome to stay for as long as you like Logan, this is the school for the gifted,” The Professor said.

“You mean a school for muties,” Logan replied with a snort and a smirk.

“I am not a ‘mutie’ and neither are you or anyone else here for that matter. So please do try to refrain from using such derogatory words.” Ororo snapped and the smirk that had been on Logan’s face instantly faded.

“Sorry ‘Ro, I didn’t mean ta offend j’ya.” Logan apologized. He didn’t know why but this girls’ opinion of him mattered and he truly didn’t wish to offend or upset her. Ororo arched her brow at the nickname and gave a nod to his apology. A small smile played upon the Professor’s lips as he watched to two teenagers before him. “And I appreciate yer offer, but I don’t really play nice with others. I’m better on my own.”

“What about your family?” Ororo asked curiously. “I’m sure your parents must be wondering where you are.”

“Doubtful since my ma died giving birth ta me and my pa hated me for it, and he dumped me on the door step of some church. Only thing he did leave me was my name James Logan Howlett and a trust fund I can access when I turn 18.”

“Oh I am so sorry Logan, I too am an orphan. Both of my parents died when I was 5.” Ororo offered compassionately with a sad far off look in her eyes.

“Can’t miss whatcha never had.” Logan stated with a shrug. “So where can I clean up?” He asked wanting to end the sudden somber mood.

“I will take you to your room.” Ororo said. “Good night Professor, good night Dr. Mags.” She nodded to her two mentors and then led the way out of the room.

“Logan,” The Professor called out and stalled both Ororo and Logan who were just about to exit. They both turned back to the Professor. “Whether you decide to stay just for the night or longer, please know that you will always be welcome here.” Logan only gave a nod in reply and then he turned and followed Ororo out.

“Old friend you may live to regret that offer.” Dr.Mags stated as he placed a gentle hand on the Professor’s shoulder. “You can’t save nor redeem ‘everyone’ Charles.”


*Sometime later*



Ororo had grabbed a few t-shirts and sweatpants from the locker room of the danger room, and then she had taken Logan to a bedroom at the foot of the stirs that lead up to her loft bedroom. She had been waiting for the past 10 minutes as he showered before she would escort him down to the kitchen to make him the meal she had promised him. She had been standing staring out the large window, lost in her own thoughts as she stared up at the moon and the stars.

“So,” Logan called out as he exited the bathroom, startled, Ororo jumped slightly and then turned. Her eyes nearly bulged out of her head as she looked at the boy standing by the bathroom door, his head down as he vigorously rubbed a towel on his damp hair. He was completely naked save for the towel wrapped about his waist. Ororo couldn’t stop staring in awe at how hairy and so well defined he was. His body looked much older than his teen years. “How long have you been here?”

“Uhm…” She struggled for a clear thought but none came as her eyes continued their appraisal of Logan’s physique. It wasn’t until she finally looked up and saw that Logan was staring at her with the most devilish smirk on his face that she was able to finally tear her eyes away, as she looked at the floor by his feet. “I have been a student here since I was twelve. So I have been here nearly four years now.”

“So that makes you what 15…16?” Logan continued to question as he moved to the king sized four poster bed and yanked up a pair of the pants. He dropped his towel and Ororo ‘eeped’ and quickly turned, she could hear Logan chuckle behind her. “Sorry didn’t mean ta scare ya. Guess I’m just used to being alone, or being around girls who don’t mind seeing me naked.” For some reason the thought of other girls that may be in Logan’s life sadden Ororo.

“I am 15, I will turn 16 in September, and how…how old are you?” She questioned with her back still to him.

“You can turn around now, I’m decent.” He said and she cautiously did as he commanded. “And I’m 17 I’ll be 18 come April. Then I will get my trust fund and my worries will be over.”

“Worries, what worries do you have?” Ororo questioned innocently, and Logan had to arch his brow at her. Normally someone asking such questions would get cursed out at the very least but again Logan found himself not wanting to do anything to hurt, or put off this girl standing before him. So he went against his nature and gave her an honest answer.

“Well homelessness for one,” He said as he sat on the bed and began to pull on the socks Ororo had given him. “That was another reason I signed up to be a Guinea pig. They gave me shelter and three square meals a day. I had to do something, the local sheriff stop letting me bunk at the county jail, no matter how much of a raucous I caused.”

“You purposely caused trouble just so you would get locked up?” Ororo asked as her eyes lit up at the thought of it, at how bold, brave, and carefree such an act was. She moved to the opposite side of the bed and hopped upon it.

“Yeah but only when it was really cold out, I’m from Canada so I’m used to the cold, but I sure don’t like it.” He threw out.

“You are a foreigner too?” Ororo questioned her excitement growing as she crisscrossed her legs. Logan turned in his position atop the bed to face her.

“Originally yeah, but got citizenship here when the orphanage I was raised in crossed the border. The nuns that ran the join got all of us kids naturalized.”

“I am from Africa…well I was born here in the states but my parents moved us to Africa just a few days after I was born. So I have dual citizenship.”

“You said yer parents died when you were 5 and ya came here when you were 12,” He stated and she bowed her head a bit and nodded. “So what did you do in between live in an orphanage too?”

“No, I was a United states citizen as far as the Kenyan government was concerned. They knew I had dual citizenship but did not want to take on the responsibility of caring for me. Nor did they care to pay to send me back state side. So I lived on the streets.”

“At the age of 5?” Logan asked in disbelief as he bunched his brow. Ororo nodded her head and true anger over her plight knotted in his stomach. “That couldnt’ve been easy for ya.”

“No, but there were other older children and we looked out for each other and we learned how to survive. Me I became a pick pocket, not something I am proud of but it is an ability that allowed for very few hungry nights.”

“Given the situation I don’t think anyone would fault cha for steal’n”

“The Professor did not thank the Goddess,”

“Wait you picked ‘Wheels’ pockets?” Logan asked thoroughly amused by the thought.

“Well, yes and no. I did and he easily tracked me,” She tapped her temple and Logan nodded his understanding. “He offered me a place here and I accepted and I thank the Goddess every day that I did. I almost turned him down.”

“What, you was gonna turn down digs like this?” Logan questioned as he let his eyes roam around the well-furnished room.

“Well it was not like I could actually see these ‘digs’,” Ororo replied with a giggled and then her smile quickly faded as she continued. “And living on the streets…being a girl living on the streets…” She had to pause to shake the feelings and memories that suddenly washed over her. Logan swallowed down a lump that had formed in his throat from the images that her words invoked. Yet again he felt anger and a new protective feeling for Ororo. “It is not always wise to trust ‘men’ some are not as nice as the Professor.”

“I’m sorry darlin,” And he genuinely was. “Had I been there witcha, no man would’ve harmed you.” *SNIKT* Ororo eyes honed in on the blades protruding from Logan’s hands, her mind not even registering Logan’s possessive words.

“May I?” She asked and it took a second for Logan to figure out what it was she was asking. When he realized what she meant he moved his right hand towards her, making sure to keep the sharp side downward. Without hesitation Ororo reached out and traced her digits across the top side of the metal blades. Logan watched her hand for a moment and then looked up at her face, when he did he instantly became aroused. Other girls had been curious and he had allowed their touch but never had he ‘felt’ such a strong sensation. He thought for sure her touch sent a jolt through him. After another second he was almost positive he felt shocks run through him.

“Are you doin that?”

“Hmm,” She replied lazily as she let her eyes drift up to his.

“Are you shocking me?” Logan asked and she snapped her hand from his and covered her mouth with it as she hurriedly hopped from the bed.

“Oh Goddess, I am so sorry Logan.” She said as tears weld up in her eyes. “I did not mean to…I did not hurt you did I?”

“Naw ya didn’t hurt me.” Logan answered as he stood from the bed and moved around to where Ororo stood having what looked to be a mild panic attack. “It’s alright ‘Ro, ya didn’t hurt me honest. I just felt the charge and was curious if you were doing it or if it was just something happening naturally between us.”

“I…”She paused to think on the words ‘something between us’ and wondered what he meant by them. “My powers are tied to my emotions and if I am not careful…I am truly sorry Logan.”

“Like I said ya didn’t hurt me, so what’s yer powers. No let me guess…bet it’s tied to those baby blues ya got and all that white hair. Don’t see many black girls lookin like you do.” Ororo swiftly averted her eyes as she self-consciously reached up and raked her fingers through the long, thick hair that fell across her shoulders. “Now don’t be like that, I like the way you look, very much.” He said as he leaned towards her a bit and Ororo looked directly into his eyes. He threw her a quick wink and a smile spread across her face at the compliment. She knew that most boys were put off or intimidated by her looks. “I got it,” He exclaimed snapping his fingers and Ororo regarded him curiously. “Yer a weather witch, right?” Logan said jokingly with a chuckle. For a split second she had been surprised and impressed that he had guessed right but then just as quickly became offended.

“I am not a witch,” She said as she scowled at him and folded her arms across her chest and then moved around him, headed for the door. Logan’s brows rose up and his mouth fell open a bit as he turned and let his eyes follow her movements.

“Wait, you can really control the weather, no shitt’n?”

“More like manipulate and will you please stop your vulgarity, at least in my presence?”

“Yes ma’am.” He replied and bowed a bit. Ororo couldn’t stop the smile on her lips even as she rolled her eyes at the smiling boy.

“Come and I will show you where the kitchen is.” She then opened the door and exited out into the hall.

“Yeah, and I recall an offer to fix me anything I wanted.” Logan called out as he followed her, closing the door behind him.





You must login () to review.