Leaning against the doorjamb of the bathroom, he smiled as he felt calmness settle over him. This was the life for him, not running around like a headless chicken from country to country on pointless missions for an ungrateful government. There was tightness in his chest at the sight of his stunning wife lovingly taking care of their pups. ‘Ro just seem to get more exquisite as time went by and he was always in awe of her. The tightness gave way and he began to breathe normally at the sound of the energized babble of his kids that would always soothe rather than grate on his sensitive hearing.

‘Ro’s small side smile lets him know that she knew he was there. Try as he might, he wasn’t able to sneak up on her. He had once asked her about it and she had explained to him that the electromagnetic field around each person was different and being mistress of the elements, she had, with the help of Charles, learned to manipulate the field around anyone and use it to hurt or help them. She had explained that she had knew particle for particle the fields around him and the children, so she always had a sense of their wellbeing. It was a new facet of her powers that had evolved after the birth of the kids. Logan didn’t think it was more possible to be in awe of his wife after learning that tidbit, but he most certainly was.

“Mommy?” David queried as he washed his hands. “Are you sure Daddy is going to be home today?”

Logan smiled at this son’s innocent question, suppressing the urge to reveal himself.

“Well, sweetheart, I am positive that Daddy is going to be home today.” Ororo’s emphasis on the word home wasn’t missed by Logan.

“I hope Daddy brought me back something,” his Rosie stated. Her lips were pouted and as always, he was stunned at the almost identical resemblance to her mother.

He couldn’t resist revealing himself this time. “’Course I did, princess.”

The eyes belonging to the younger Howletts swiveled over to where he was casually leaning. “Daddy!” Both his pups shrieked at the same time and forgetting about cleaning up, immediately launched themselves at him. He braced his weight, waiting for their attack. He bent to scoop up a child in each arm. He pressed a kiss to Rose’s pert nose and one to David’s cheek. They in turned, hugged him. He luxuriated in the feel of their love. This was where he belonged, not traipsing all over the world on wild goose chases. He turned to ‘Ro and smiled that crooked grin that would always belong to him. “Hey sweet thing.”

“Hi yourself,” she replied, all the love she held for him shining through her megawatt smile. She stood on tiptoe and kissed his cheek lightly.

He gave her a look that promised her a proper greeting when they would have their alone time together later. But for now, he needed to give the kids his undivided attention. Ororo didn’t mind, this was his time to get caught up with the goings on in the lives of his children from their perspectives. And she had the feeling that he needed this time with his offspring more so now than ever. With a secret smile, she winked at him and left him to finish the task of cleaning up the kids.

Dinner, as usual was bedlam, a boisterous affair with two energetic, noisy Howlett children as the featured performers. Logan loved every second of the enjoyable evening, made possible by Ororo’s great cooking and the loving atmosphere interspersed with laughter, bantering and scolding. With a captive audience, Logan relayed the stories of his mission. They all enjoyed a hearty laugh when he told them of Uncle Luke’s mishap of getting caught in a trap which ended up leaving him hanging upside down from a tree. Then he had given them the gifts he had brought back.

“Gee, Daddy. This is pretty.” Rose said in admiration of her new doll. She gave him a wet kiss on the cheek. “Thanks, Daddy.”

He had smiled, his heart warm and ready to burst. “Anythin’ fer ya, princess.” He turned to his son, “What ‘bout ya, sport? Ya like yer kite?”

“Yep. It’s neat. Can we play with it tomorrow?”

Logan nodded. “Sure bet, kiddo.”

“Where’s mommy’s gift, Daddy?” Rose innocently asked.

He laughed heartily.

“My gift is the beautiful plants on the counter, sweetheart,” Ororo interjected.

“That’s all you gave her Daddy? That’s not much of a gift.”

Ororo coughed, attempting to control her laughter. “Well, do not worry about it, Rosie. I love Daddy’s gift.”

“Okay,” Rose said, before going back to her doll.

“Out of the mouths of babes,” Logan said for Ororo’s ears only. She grinned, nodding her agreement.

After a while, Ororo noticed the kids were on the brink of sleep. “I think that they are barely hanging on,” she murmured, tilting her chin to the twins. “Too much fun today with Uncle Remy.”

Logan laughed softly when he noticed that they were both leaning into each other, eyes closed. “Okay pups, let’s go. Bedtime.”

They whined, but they knew he meant business if his raised bushy eyebrow was any indication. “I’ll take care of them, ‘Ro.”

She graced him with a small smile. “Thank you, dearest. I will clean up here.”

He leaned over to peck her lips softly before standing tall. He lifted Rose into his arms, since she was halfway asleep and held out his hand for David to hold.

Ororo smiled as they walked out the room. Who would have thought that the Wolverine had it in him to be such a family man? She laughed lightly when she realized the answer to her own question. She did, of course. From the very beginning, she had seen that caring and nurturing part of him that he tried to keep hidden under his brash and crude exterior, especially when he interacted with Rogue, Jubilee and Kitty. He was a protector by nature and no matter how much he tried to hide it, it always found ways to show itself. He took his job as pack leader seriously. She and her children were well loved, protected and cherished. She couldn’t have asked for a better husband and father of her children. She held no doubts that he would exhibit that same love and attention to their soon to be new addition. She patted her stomach gently and smiled.

She hummed as she moved around cleaning up the kitchen and putting away the remaining food. She tied up the garbage and then stepped outside to toss it in its appropriate container. She took a minute to admire the full moon and the millions of stars twinkling in the cloudless night sky. She then stepped back into the house, and went about making sure the house was properly secured, before going upstairs to join her family.

She found Logan in their son’s room. “I take it that our Rosie is in dreamland.”

Logan tossed her a grin before turning back to fastening the buttons on David’s pajamas. "Yep, she’s down fer the count.”

“I will be right back. I am going to kiss her good night.”

“Sure, darlin’.”

He was tucking the covers around David when Ororo came back. They offered him kisses on his forehead, when he yawned broadly. He muttered goodnight to his parents.

"'Night kid. I love ya."

"Goodnight, my angel," was Ororo's response as she switched on the child monitor and the nightlight and took off the main light.
---------------------------------------------------------
Logan leaned against the doorjamb wearing boxers, one ankle crossed over the other, leisurely admiring the woman who held his heart as she flittered around their master suite. She was gloriously naked, softly humming the song they danced to at their wedding and his heart burst in remembrance of that day that wasn’t so long ago, but yet, seemed like ages. He held the rectangular velvet box behind his back and then walked over to where she stood.

Logan slowly approached her and wrapped his arms around her from behind, dangling the box in front of her. She heard the low rumble of his appreciative growl when he implanted his face into the side of her neck and took a deep whiff of her intoxicating scent. His brows furrowed a bit. There was another scent underlying her signature sandalwood, vanilla and freshly fallen rain aroma. He recognized it, but his brain either refused to or failed to connect the dots just yet.

She laughed lightly. “Welcome home, my love.”

He grunted in response. He moved his whiskered cheek over her neck, before licking the bite mark that bonded them as lifelong mates.

Ororo reached up one hand to run it through his thick raven locks. “Hmm…I see someone missed me.”

“Christ, ‘Ro. Ya had no idea how I missed ya and the kids so damn much.” He replied. “I’m thinkin’ ‘bout leavin’ the Avengers.”

Ororo stepped out of his arms and cocked her white eyebrow at him. “Come again.”

Logan sighed and stepped away from her, placing the velvet box with her real gift down on the bed, before going to sit on the sofa around the fireplace. It wasn’t his intention to drop that bomb on her just yet, but well, here they were. “’Ro, this mission was another bust. Another waste of my damn time. Time that I could have been spendin’ wid ya and the pups.”

She walked over to take a seat on his lap. His arms immediately went around her. She caressed his stubbled cheek, as she asked, “Have you seriously thought about leaving or is it just a reflex decision after a few failed missions?”

“I’ve seriously thought ‘bout it.” He shifted in the seat without relinquishing his hold on her. “Rosie and Dave are growin’ up so fast and I don’t wanna miss that.”

She reached up and traced his shaggy brows with delicate fingers. She knew what being a father meant to him, especially knowing the truth about his tragic childhood and past. But she also knew that he loved his job as a superhero too. “We would love for you to be here with us twenty four seven, dearest, but I also know how much you love what you do.”

“I love you and the pups more,” he stated emphatically. He turned her to straddle his lap, so they were looking into each other’s eyes directly. “Darlin’, it takes too much outta me ta leave my family ta go on wild goose chases. The thrill ain’t there no more. I rather stay home bein’ the husband and father ya all need me ta be. Hell, the X-Men don’t even get call away that much anymore.”

Ororo leaned in to kiss him gently. Stroking his cheek, she replied. “You know I am here to support you, dear heart in whatever your decision regarding the Avengers is. I just do not want you to have any regrets.”

“Ain’t no regrets, darlin’,” he replied.

“Well you do know that you have my unwavering support.”

After a while of comfortable silence, he murmured, “I just don’t want ta miss the pups growin’ up. They’re already five years old. I don’t wanna wake up one day and realize that I missed their childhood. I wanna be a great dad, ‘Ro.”

‘Ro leaned in and kissed him softly. She loved these types of intimate moments with him, the moments when he allowed himself to be vulnerable and reveal his fears. She loved him all the more for opening up to her like this and it only served to strengthen their bond.

“You are already a great father, Logan, not to mention a wonderful husband,” she voiced ardently. “You go above and beyond for us. You provide for us, love us and protect us. We will be lost without you.”

Logan hugged her to him tightly, appreciating her words of encouragement. She was the only one he showed his vulnerability to, the only one he admitted his fears to. Christ, but he loved this woman so damn much. He knew he was making the right decision in deciding to leave the Avengers. Being a father, husband, instructor and X-Man was more than enough for him.

He stood with her still held to him. She instinctively wrapped her legs around his waist. The contact of their naked torsos rubbing against each other set off a heat in his body that began to consume him. He walked over to the bed to grab the velvet box and handed it to her. “Here’s yer real gift, darlin’.”

Ororo slowly unwrapped her naked frame from around him. Smiling at him, she took the gift. “You know I am more than satisfied with the plants, love.”

“I know. But I couldn’t pass this up.”

She opened the box and her mouth formed an ‘O’ in surprise. She carefully lifted the piece of jewelry from its resting place on the index finger and thumb of her right hand and admired it. The antique jade Chinese medallion fourteen carat gold bracelet was one of the most stunning pieces of jewelry she had ever seen.

Logan didn’t mention a word, just stood there watching the joy on her face as she admire the bracelet.

She raised loving eyes to him, before returning the bracelet to its resting place. “This is truly beautiful and unique. Thank you, Logan.”

He walked over to where she was and enveloped her into his burly arms. “Anythin’ fer ya, babe.”

“I have a gift for you too, dearest.”

He wiggled his eyebrows in anticipation.

“Not that. Well, at least not yet,” she amended. She went to lie on their spacious bed and invited him to join her.

Peeling off the remainder of his clothing, he joined her, pulling her close to him, so that their chests touch. He inhaled deeply. There it was again. That unnamed scent. He knew what that scent meant, but for the life of him, his brain just couldn’t make the connection.

“You know that I could not have ask for anything more than what you have already gotten me,” Ororo stated softly. “The past six years have been the happiest and brightest of my life and I owe so much of that to you.”

“It’s a privilege ta be yer husband,” he responded, taking her hand in his and kissing her palm. “The life I’ve lived before meetin’ ya and the X-Men was no life at all. I finally found a home and the stability and love I wanted when I met ya. Those two rugrats sleepin’ their pretty heads off and yer love are the greatest gifts ya could have given me, ‘Ro. I don’t need nuttin’ else other than ya and our pups.”

Her eyes glistened with unshed tears. She couldn’t help but adore the man she called hers for the words he had just uttered. “Well, my love, I do have an additional gift for you. I am positive that you would love this one.”

He looked at her questioningly, as she took his hand and gently placed it on her belly. His palm was firm and warm lying on her lower abdomen and she didn’t even try to ignore the languor and light-headedness that assailed her at his touch. She watched as his frown slowly morphed into the biggest smile she had ever seen from him. His brain finally made the connection and the previously unidentified scent made sense. It was the sweet fragrance of a woman when she was with child. Logan leaned back to peer into her eyes, his hand never leaving her stomach, scared to death that this was a dream. They had both wanted a large family and had been trying to have another child after the twins. It was extremely painful to learn that she more than likely would never be able to conceive again. Now, here she was unmistakably pregnant with their third child, possibly more, if the conception of the twins was any indication.

With a sudden movement, he carefully pulled her into his arms for a crushing embrace. Joy pumped through his body. He then fused their mouths together in a kiss that revealed everything he was feeling at that moment.

When he lifted those startling gray eyes up to hers, they were filled with unconcealed worship as they feasted on her, lying beneath him. He felt dangerously close to tears as his throat constricted with emotion. His hand moved up to the side of her breast, remembering how tender they were during her last pregnancy. He pressed its fullness and swept his thumb across her nipple. Ororo moaned because the caress felt so good to her tender, itchy, sore skin.

“How?”

Ororo laughed out loud. “You are asking me that question?”

Logan looked at her sheepishly. “Ya know what I mean, ‘Ro.”

She reached up to trace the contours of his handsome face with her fingers. “I have been feeling rather sluggish lately and then I fainted the morning after you left for the mission. Thank the Goddess Remy had already came for the kids to take them to the mansion. I…”

He scowled and cut her off. “You fainted?!”

“It is alright, my love. It was only for a minute or two. I notified the Professor right away and Hank came to get me and took me back to the mansion,” she said to appease him. “That is how I found out we were expecting.” She finished with a bright smile.

He looked convinced, but silently cursed himself for not being there. “How do ya feel?”

“Wonderful. I wish you were there with me when Henry told me the news.”

He closed his eyes at the thought of while he was away chasing ghosts for an unappreciative government, she was here experiencing this alone. “I’m sorry, darlin’,” he uttered self-depreciatingly.

“It is alright, dear heart. Let us just focus on the here and now and this latest blessing.”

His hand lifted to rest on her cheek. “Doesn’t change the fact that I should’ve been here wid ya.”

She shook her head. She saw the guilt in his eyes. The last thing she needed was for him to wallow in it and have it overshadow the happiness they should be feeling right now. She took his hand and placed it on her stomach again, covering it with her own. “According to Henry, I should be entering my third month next week.”

The guilt swiftly disappeared from his eyes to be replaced with tenderness. “This is all the more reason fer me ta leave the Avengers, ‘Ro,” he rasped. “I want ta enjoy this one with ya as much as I can.”

“That would be wonderful.” she replied excitedly. “And Dave and Rosie would be excited that you will me home more.”

Logan sighed, before rolling onto his back and stacking his hands behind his head. “More reason ta hang up the super hero shoes.”

Ororo folded her hands upon his rock hard abs and propped her chin up on them. “When will you be tendering your resignation?”

“I’ll contact Fury tomorrow. The sooner the better in my book. Then I’m sure he’ll want ta meet with me ta find out why I’m leavin’.”

“What are you going to tell him?”

“Shit, ain’t like it’s any of his damn business. I wanna quit, I quit,” Logan snarled. “I dare him ta say some shit ta me.”

“Logan…”

“Nah, ‘Ro. My pack comes first. My first responsibility and loyalty is ta ya and our kids, not an ungrateful government who quite frankly, just use us fer our powers.” He stated forcefully. “It ain’t my duty ta put my life on the line fer thankless people. That right belongs ta ya and the kids.”

Ororo knew his mind was made up. There was no denying that. Silently, she was thrilled that he finally seemed to be getting that thirst for adrenaline out of his system. The first half of their lives were spent saving the world from one catastrophe or villain after another, while fighting to carve a niche out for them in a world that hated mutants. Now, with the rise of other super heroes and the world a bit more tolerant of mutants, She firmly believed that this latter part of their lives should be dedicated to themselves and raising their families. “Well, dearest, you have my full support.”

“Thanks babe.” The mattress shifted as he turned on his side, effectively forcing her to surrender her position on his stomach. She followed suit, turning onto her side, burrowing her naked frame deeper into his equally naked body, eventually ending up spooning each other. He reached around her and laced their fingers together, resting them on the place where their latest blessing rested. Logan closed his eyes and then inhaled deeply, letting his enhanced sense of smell take over. A faint smile tugged at the corners of his mouth as he inhaled the distinct aromas that made this house a home. The mesmerizing scent of the beauty lying in his arms, the scent of his kids sleeping peacefully in their beds, the aromas of the various plants ‘Ro had abundantly throughout the house and his favorite cigars. The smile transformed into a full-fledged grin as the scent of the soon to be newest member of their pack tickled his nose.
“’Ro?”

“Hmm…”

“After I talk with Fury, what ya say we all go up ta Canada fer a few days?

“That sounds wonderful. Or maybe Kenya?” She suggested. “The children recently began asking me about their grandmother’s homeland.”

“Will ya be able ta travel long distance being pregnant? I don’t want ya to take the risk, ‘Ro.”

She bit down on her lower lip and worried it between her teeth. She sighed. “I guess you are right. I should not chance putting this pregnancy at risk.”

“The kids got a few weeks fer summer break remainin’. So we can go and be back before Chuck’s annual shindig. We can leave as soon as Blue say it’s ok fer ya ta travel.”

“We will definitely ask him tomorrow when you accompany me to my appointment.”

Logan leaned over and rolled her underneath him, dropping tiny kisses all over her face. “Ya know, I didn’t think we’ll ever have another one, ‘Ro. After being told it was highly unlikely, I must say this is the best gift a man could come home too. Yet another reason why I love ya.”

Her eyes were soft and shiny with tears as she stared into his wonderful eyes. “I know that it was painful hearing that we would not be able to have that large family we both wanted. But now, here we are, being entrusted with caring for another one.” Emotion made her voice even huskier than normal.

“Or two,” he replied, kissing her lips. “Or three,” he continued.

Ororo grinned. “The more the merrier. With your feral potency, maybe we would have twins again.”

“Yeah, if Blue don’t screw up again,” Logan replied. His hands coasted down her chest, his fingertips fanning her nipples. His hands then moved lower where the backs of his knuckles rubbed over her highly sensitized feminine core, causing a delicious warmth to radiate throughout her entire body.

She knew in that moment that she was lost to the mastery of his hands. He dipped his head and his tongue touched a nipple the same time his thumb sought and found her treasure. Using his free hand, he took her hand and guided it to his manhood, which was hard and straining. After a few moments of torturing each other, he stretched out above her, kneeling between her thighs. He touched his lips to her abdomen, knowing his pup slept securely within the body of the woman he loved more than life itself. She placed her hands on his head in wonder that life had afforded them such happiness. His lips drifted over the cluster of white curls and desire and love flowed through her like a gentle wind. With his hands on her breasts, he lowered his head farther and kissed the velvety petals of her womanhood. His tongue bade them open. He withheld nothing and gave everything.

“I love ya, ‘Ro.” He rose above her and settled his manhood snugly against her silky warmth.

“And I you,” she whispered, just before he entered her body slowly, lovingly.

He possessed her with a fierce passion tempered by love and tenderness. His taut hips rose and fell rhythmically as he plunged deeply but gently. She met every one of his thrusts equally lovingly. Ever attuned to her needs, he withdrew, stroked her petals lightly and then carefully delved in again. She closed about him tightly, snugly, milking him with her inner walls. They gave and responded equally in a passionate physical exchange of love. When the tumult came, they shared it, plunging off the edge of the abyss in each other’s arms.

It was a short while later, as they dried each other after a shower graced with another bout of lovemaking, that she said, “You never did tell me about the mission itself.”

Logan groaned. “Trust me, ‘Ro. Ain’t nothin’ ta tell.” Playfully he smacked her backside as she walked ahead of him into their bedroom. “I just couldn’t wait ta get back home, that’s all.”

She turned to him and took a step towards him. She rested her hands on his chest. “I love you and to be honest, I am happy that you will be home more and not on missions with the Avengers anymore.”

He looked at her for a long moment, then bent his head and kissed her softly. “Home is where my heart is, babe. And my home is anywhere ya and the pups are.”

Ororo’s smile was radiant. “You are so wonderful. Do you know that?”

In answer, he sealed their lips together, solidifying their commitment to each other. Then, lifting her into his arms, he carried her back to their bed, intent on relishing being back at home for the remainder of the night.





You must login () to review.