As the last whispered words fell upon her ears, Ororo’s eyes darted open. Had she heard him correctly she wondered? After all, there was loud music playing in the ballroom AND she had fallen over and hit her head not too long ago. It was quite possible that she had mistaken his ``I’m in love`` for `Fits like a glove` or even `I see grub` … but neither of those possibilities seemed logical. But she was clueless as to how to respond. There, in her delicate arms was the object of so many year’s affection and here he had just confessed that he was in love! IN LOVE!
Goddess, she grumbled in her head, how do I respond? She was a woman known for her composure under intense pressure and stress, and here she was dancing at a wedding reception unable to complete a coherent thought all because of one comment. A comment that she was trying to convince herself she had heard incorrectly. The hand that been tucked perfectly into his much larger hand began to moisten. It was an uncontrollable response to her panicking. Would he notice her hesitation? The silence in the air hung between them awkwardly. It had been over a full minute and she had not yet made a response. She felt her palm dampen even more and she held her breath to quell the whimper she was so afraid to let out. All she could do was keep her head atop his shoulder with her blue eyes wide open in a state of panic as she searched around the room. The only thing keeping her mildly sane at that point was the rhythmic sway of their two bodies to the music in the hall. It felt so right. He felt so right. Everyone else seemed so far, and all that mattered was them.
`` … In … love?`` Three minutes later. What a response time, she thought. He must think I do not care enough to answer him properly.
``Love.``
``I do hope this woman knows how unimaginably fortunate she is to have you in her life.``
``I don’t think she knows.``
``Impossible. How can you go unnoticed?`` Ororo blushed, the only sign of her love for him seeping to the surface. It was true, Logan could not go unnoticed for as she whispered to him her eyes locked with those of the room. A majority of guests were unable to look away from the unlikely twosome out on the dance floor. There was the white-haired African goddess tenderly holding the chiseled Canadian assassin. As appearances went, they were perhaps the most opposite of mutants ever, but on the inside they were soul mates. Everything about them screamed compatibility, from their love of the outdoors to their code of honor — Ororo and Logan had more in common than any other of the X-Men. And those blank stares had no idea. All they saw was the odd couple. Strangely it did not bother her though that the guests were whispering among each other to look out on the dance floor to watch them dance. Those people didn’t understand and they never would. Ororo slid her hand around Logan’s waist just a little tighter. ``Does this have anything to do about the wedd-``
``This has got nothing to do with Jeannie.``
``Oh …. `` More silence.
``Darlin’, I … I don’t know what to say.`` Logan’s words came slowly. It seemed to her that he was in deep thought. This woman must truly have his heart. He sighed. All of his emotions, feelings, wants, needs, desires, it was all building up inside of him and he didn’t know what to do. Since the moment he had stepped into the institute Ororo had been the only person to give him her unconditional friendship and respect. She never asked for anything in return. For the past few years he had tried to rid himself of his feelings for her and every time he thought he had finally purged himself of it all, he found that he loved her even more. It was difficult for him to accept these feelings. He believed he didn’t deserve a woman so amazing as Ororo. She could never love him. But damn, if only she could see his potential. He would love her for eternity and protect her. Didn’t she see that on every single mission they went on together, he always watched out for her? That if she had fallen, he would be the one to catch her? That when she was leading a team out on the field he wouldn’t sleep until she returned? Instead he would crawl out of the mansion and sit by their spot at the lake and stare out into the world thinking of her. His memories kept him warm at night. He would pretend that his pillow were her, laying it beside him and draping his arms around it in a tight embrace. Logan lightly rubbed his stubbled chin against her smooth ebony forehead as a sign of affection.
She murmured happily.

The two had not even noticed that they had been dancing in the same position for three full songs now and that audience they had amassed grew in numbers. Henry, dressed elegantly in his suit, stood off to the side next to the buffet popping a mushroom cap into his mouth as he watched Ororo and Logan. Warren smoothly slid up beside him, his eyes following Henry’s gaze.
``Something is rotten in Denmark.``
``And why do you say that, Warren?``
``Do you SEE them Hank!?``
``With mine very own eyes, sir, I do.``
``For the past few months I have noticed something different about him. The only time I seem him remotely happy is when ’Ro is around. And even then he seems to be oblivious to the world because all he looks at is her. He is always by her side helping her, talking to her, or hell even just sniffing her!``
While Warren was speaking Forge, who no one had anticipated accepting his invitation, had made his way over to the two men next to the food. He caught the tail end of the conversation and all he heard was ‘sniffing her’. His nose wrinkled up in confusion but he decided it was best he didn’t find out what that comment was about.
``Forge.``
``Warren. Henry. Good evening.``
``I did not expect you to come to this wedding, considering you history with weddings at all.`` One point Warren.
``Well, I decided to come. I had not seen everyone in some time and thought it would be nice.`` He slid his hand back to smooth out his pony tail as he eyes glared intently at Logan, whose hand was firmly wrapped around Ororo’s waist. ``Is there something I missed?``
``Hm?`` Forge motioned to the pair.
``I think Wolvie likes her!`` A rather chipperish Jubilation Lee shouted out, quite loudly at that, as she hoarded in on the conversation. She was rather stealthy, hanging out behind the three men without them ever noticing. All the men could do was stare at her. ``Wha?`` She blurted out as she hastily shrugged her shoulders.
``Nonsense.``
``Remy don’ tink that be such nonsense. The petite may be right.`` Remy had hear Jubes rather auspicious remark and decided to join in on the conversation. If they were going to be discussing Storm, then who better to participate than her brother. The red in his eyes flickered rather mischievously as her smirked. Remy would not be so bold as to interfere with Ororo’s love life. One of the conditions of being her brother meant that he would accept and love her no matter what her decisions in life, and this would be one of those times. And while he did not always agree and get along with Wolverine, he was willing to give him a shot if Jubilee were right.
``Why him?`` Forge’s jealousy was becoming quite obvious to the group.
``Why not?`` Henry popped another mushroom into his mouth.
``WELL, not like, that anyone cares what I have to say, but like, I think they are perfect.`` Jubes was rather pleased with herself. ``KITTTTTTTY! PETE! WAIT UP!`` She yelled across the hall to the two who seemed to be taking a leave for the party for a moment. She ran after them.

Logan’s eyes traced Jubilee as she ran. He chuckled to himself. ``That girl sure has spunk.``
Ororo nodded, which was rather dumb considering he was unable to see her face in their current position. They had just begun to begin dance number six, but to them it seemed as if they were still on the first dance. Time slowed when they were together. The previous conversation almost seemed to come to a stop. Logan had never finished his sentence and then the silence returned so they just kept on dancing.
``’Ro?``
``Yes?``
``I’m in love.``
`` … yes … you said that … already .. ?``
``Maybe I didn’t make myself clear.`` He had worked up the courage, which you wouldn’t expect to be difficult for him, to finally come clean. He released the hand that has been holding hers while they danced. He lifted it up and gently took two fingers to her chin and raised her head until her gaze was level with his. Ororo’s face tightened. She was confused, scared, exciting, worried, nervous, happy, she was everything and anything. This was her moment.
His eyes were soft and loving. His whisper gentle. ``I’m in love. `` He managed to let it out, but before he barely finished his words Ororo had cupped his chin with her own two hands and pulled his lips to her own. So soft. She, at first, lightly pressed her closed lips against his. Inside she screaming. It was as if she wasn’t even in her own body, but hovering about it watching the scene as it unfolded. Who was this bold woman kissing this man in the middle of her best friend’s wedding reception? Logan was even more shocked as he finally released his lips. He rested his head against hers, practically gasping for a breath.
It was all so sudden!
``Logan … I .. ``
``It was never about Jeannie.``
``I .. I … I don’t think I understand.``
``It was always you.``
She thought for sure her heart was going to burst.
``When I came here, I was a different person. You helped me through that. But not for a second, not one second did I ever believe I deserved you or that you would ever feel the same way about me.``
She could feel the burning of the tears. They were beginning to form at the corners of her eyes. She couldn’t believe what she was hearing. All this time .. All this time, and she had loved him. All this time and she never knew. How stupid she felt.
``Darlin’, I’m sorry. So sorry. I don’t think yer ever going to forgive me. I thought that if I just flirted with Jeannie enough, well .. Maybe youdda noticed me more. Thought of me differently. Maybe I thought I could get my mind off ya. But not once did I. I flaunted it.`` His voice cracked. Oh how he had regretted his actions deeply. ``I let everyone here believe it was Jeannie I loved when … all I ever wanted was you.`` He finally swallowed, his eyes not once blinking or faltering. All he did was look at her.
Logan hadn’t even noticed that the music has stopped. He didn’t realize that the people were not longer speaking. The entire room had heard what he had said, and each and everyone of them were staring at Ororo and Logan in the middle of the dance floor, having been shocked by his revelation. Silence.
``I have always loved you, Logan.`` She smiled, leaning in to give him another kiss as the crowd let out a collective gasp. How this going to affect the world around them!!

``I TOLD YA!`` Jubilee yelled out in triumph. Had to get that last word in during the awkward silence, didn’t you?





You must login () to review.