** ** indicates telepathic communication.
‘ ’ indicates thought
“ ” indicates spoken words

“Leave her alone”

“Get her,” Wraith disregarded Ororo’s plea and pointed towards a fearful Jubilee.

Opening the cell door, one of the soldiers stepped inside, while three more targeted her three remaining cellmates.
“WRAITH,” Wolverine bellowed from the other side. “Leave the kid alone.”
“Care about her, do ya,” Wraith grinned menacingly. “Well we will just see how *much* and how long do you keep that care going, once I get your true self out. Get the little bitch.”

*THUKK* The first dart plunged into Logan’s chest, its contents draining instantly.

“COLONEL WRAITH,” Cornelius’s voice rang out from the intercom. “Please come to my office.”
“Just let me get this over,” Wraith barked into his personal communicator.
“NOW,” the head scientist’s tone was all business.
“Hmph,” Wraith frowned as he lowered his gun, handing the second dart back to Mallory. “Lets go.”

“Colonel sir,” the soldier holding Jubilee squeaked out. “What…what do we do with this one sir?”
“Put her on my bald head and let her dance the Macarena. What do you think you do with her?” Wraith scolded him. “Throw her back with the others.”
“With….with Wolverine sir?” The young man was still confused.
“I said the others, you idiot, not him,” Wraith marched up to him. Grabbing the American-Chinese teenager by her ruffled hair, he pushed her back inside through the still open door. “Who left the door open?” he demanded.
“Me sir,” the soldier standing behind the one who had been holding Jubilee stepped up.

*BAMM* Wraith fired into his thigh, tearing part of the muscle apart.
“That will teach you not to leave the door open,” putting his gun back, he turned towards the others. “That door is to be only opened either when one of them had to be taken out or put back in….or ‘WHEN’ one of them dies. He just got a *minor* thigh wound. The next one to screw up; goes to the incinerator. DO I MAKE MYSELF CLEAR?” he yelled, taking out his frustration towards Cornelius on his soldiers.
“Yes sir, colonel sir,” the soldiers immediately straightened to attention and saluted him.
“Do I make myself clear?” he looked down to the injured man on the ground.
“Yes…yes sir,” he raised one bloodied hand to his forehead.

“Get him to the infirmary,” he commanded turning towards the females’ cell. “You got away today, you chink cunt,” he leered at tearful Jubilee. “But I will be back, and I will personally stand here and watch that animal rut on you.”

Feeling slightly better from his actions, he whirled around and walked away to face the old man.

----

Elsewhere,

“Are you sure this information is correct?” a shadowed man asked from the dark.
“Yes,” his uniformed informant nodded his head. “We recently got a new man. He was posted there. He swears by it.”

“Did he actually see them with his own eyes,” the end of the man’s cigarette glowed as he pulled in a puff.
“He saw two of them,” the soldier lifted his first two fingers. “The one you are looking for, the large shaggy one….and another one. Shorter than the first one, but equally ugly. He says that one had long black hair and that he had three metal claws sticking out from each hand.”

“Wolverine,” the human’s voice grew cold. “So he there too. Are they both in cages?”
“No,” the other man shook his head. “Only the clawed one was in the cage, while the other one, the one you are looking for, he was walking around freely. It seems that he was working for the people there.”
“Hmm,” the mysterious stranger rubbed his stubbled chin in thought. “So he is free.”

“Yes,” the other man nodded in return. “So do I get paid for this info?”
“Yes brother,” the shadowed man leaned to the side and withdrew a bundle from his bag, which he tossed to the wide-eyed soldier. “Humanity thanks you for your service, as do I.”
“Sure, whatever,” the soldier slid the wad of money into his military coat pocket. ‘I did it for the money,’ he grinned silently as he excused him and stepped out of the room. “Who gives a shit about a couple of muties?”

-----

“That….that was close,” Jubilee gave a weak chuckle as she came out her fearful shock. “I thought I gone for sure.”
“Jubilee,” Ororo sat next to her, caressing her back to calm her. “How are you feeling?”
“Great,” her voice lacked conviction. “Like a piece of meat that just barely managed to get out of being thrown on the barbi’…..if only temporarily. How is Kurt?” she tried to change the subject.
“He is still unconscious or maybe just sleeping,” Kitty looked back from the bars. “He moved sometime ago, almost turned over to his bandaged side, but the pain stopped him.”
“Oh,” Jubilee sighed dejectedly. “How is he?” she whispered to Ororo, her hand weakly gesturing towards the prone Logan.


“He’s fine,” the gruff reply answered her question.
“Oh, you heard me,” she smiled weakly. “I thought…”
“The dart,” Logan completed her thoughts. “Didn’t do shit. He got just one this time. The system just chucked of off.”
“That’s good,” Jubilee turned to Ororo, her eyes falling as the memories of her teacher-teammate’s painful cries assaulted her. “How are you feeling Ororo?”
“I am feeling much better,” Ororo gave a humorless smile. “Most of the….uh….most of my body has healed.”

Jubilee’s words caused her to remember what she about to ask Logan before Cornelius and Wraith interrupted them.
Moving a little away from Jubilee, she came towards the front, keeping a respectable distance, she was able to see Logan properly. “Logan,” she called softly. “Can you hear me? Nod your head if you can.”
“Yeah,” the growl and nod have his answer.
“I wanted to ask you something?” her voice retained its whisper. “What I was going to ask before…..”
“Yeah,” another nod. Logan guessed what she was going to ask of him.
“Am I…?” she trailed off. “You know. Am I….”
This time however, there wasn’t the previous ‘yeah’, rather a nod and another answer. “Sorry ‘Ro.”

Ororo felt her heart clench at his confirmation. She was pregnant. Instinctively her arms crossed protectively over her stomach. ‘Goddess,’ she wanted to cry out both in joy and fear. On one hand she felt the joy of being a prospective mother, but at the same time, her sadness and fear overshadowed her thoughts, filling her heart with a sudden and growing dread. ‘Not here. Not now. Not like this.’ She feared about the wellbeing of her child.

What would happen to her now, she thought. Soon her captors would come to know about her situation. Would she be allowed to stay here with her teammates or would she be taken away to a different facility? With the *power inhibiting* collar around her neck and a forming and growing life inside her, she would have to take care of herself, not just for her own wellbeing, but her child.

“Ororo,” Jubilee’s whisper broke her thoughts.
“Yes Jubilee,” she turned around and crawled back to her.

“I have something I want to show you.”

-----

“I thought I made it clear that you are NOT to meddle with my affairs,” Cornelius scowled from his chair. The setting was different, but the talk was the same. Wraith had once again taken things into his own hands and had tried to speed up the project by throwing in the second female to Wolverine and pumping him up to arousal. He didn’t want to waste time by waiting for the results from the first test subjects.

There was however, his own personal reason for doing what he had done. He didn’t want to waste time by allowing for a break in the physical, emotional and mental torture being inflicted on the prisoners. He had vowed to break each and everyone of them, and that was the first and foremost thing in his mind….even ahead off the lives of the baby carriers, which the female mutants were in his eyes. As far as he was concerned, they could just as well harvest the eggs from the others, as they had done from the first one.

“I don’t take orders from you,” Wraith shot back. “I also made that clear.”
“You DO,” the scientist bellowed. “When its the question of the successful completion of the project, you listen to whatever I say and YOU FOLLOW IT.”
“Or else what?”
“Or else…” Cornelius replied coolly. “Lets just say that, this better be the last time you do anything out of step.”
“You threatening me old man,” Wraith leaned in on the desk. “Because if you are, your life just grew a whole lot shorter.”

“WRAITH,” a cold voice rang out from the phone’s speaker.
“Y…yes sir,” all the bravado and anger drained out from the army man’s voice, his face losing its color.
“Do as Cornelius says,” the unknown voice commanded. “Your job is only to defend and run the base. The project and its running are NOT your concern, not do they come under your authority.”
“Yes sir,” Wraith nodded weakly.
“And DON”T threaten him in any way,” their *boss* continued. “If anything happens to him…remember I have ways to make your life a living hell.”
“Yes sir,” was all Wraith could say as remembered the mutant employed by their benefactor…..more specifically, the *telepathic* mutant employed by their *Master*.

“Cornelius,” the voice addressed the scientist, who had been grinning at the sudden change in his hardheaded partner.
“Yes sir,” he sobered up instantly.
“I want an update by tomorrow.”
“Definitely sir,” the old man nodded his head.
“See that I get it,” the voice commanded.

The next instant, the call ended, filling the room with the buzz of a dial tone.

“You may go Colonel,” Cornelius commanded smugly. “I need to prepare my report.”
Wraith opened his mouth to say something offensive, but closed it the next moment at the fear of their employer’s words. Turning around, he stormed put of the room.

Unbeknownst to them a pair of ears had heard the entire conversation.

----

“Jubilee, where did you get this from?” Ororo grasped the small metal object the teenager had just handed her.
“From that asshole that was holding me,” Jubilee scowled at the corridor. “He was rubbing himself all over me. I let him do it, and when he was *distracted* I pulled it off his uniform. Can we use this?”
“We sure can,” a hopeful smile dawned on the senior x-woman’s lips, lasting only for a second before faltering as the thought of her injured teammate and her own child came to her. ‘What if after we free ourselves, I have to use my powers? What will happen to the baby? Will it harm it?’ worry once again grew over her.

“But what about Kurt?” Jubilee pointed at the still unconscious teleporter. “He is not getting up.”
“Don’t worry,” Ororo calmed her, preventing her down from getting excited and panicking over the new development. “We will do something soon.”

Crawling back towards the bars, “Logan,” she called out to her feral teammate.

----

Back at the secret location,

“Are they ready?” the mystery man entered the room.
“Yes sir,” his assistant nodded. “All fifty of them.”
“Good work soldier,” the dark haired man patted his back. “Come, lets go meet them.”

Stepping through another door, the duo walked outside, where fifty men stood waiting for them, garbed in their familiar hooded robes.
“Friends, brothers,” their leader addressed them. “Tonight we gather here to hunt down not one but two enemies of humanity. These two are animals who have killed many innocent humans. The time has come for them to pay for their sins. We will act as the hand of god and smite these monstrosities from the face of the earth. This is the reason for the existence of the Friends of Humanity. It is a crusade in which humanity will finally win.”

“This, Graydon Creed promises you.”


Note: Hope you liked it.....any guesses on the mystery *benefactor*?

Review and let me know!!....and Windrider1, no open musings now. You made him rethink a whole subplot!! ::winks::





You must login () to review.