*BEEEEEEP!!*

The extended beep from the machine announced to Ororo, the end of the last of the gamut of tests had been running on her. Apart from the usual height, weight and other physical tests, he also had various perfunctory ones such as blood type and pressure, and more importantly certain probing ones including a rather lengthy ultrasound.

Had it been any other place, a normal non threatening place, a place where she and her teammates hadn’t been captured and imprisoned in, Ororo would have jumped at the chance of getting any knowledge about the sex and health of the life that she…and Logan had created together. But here, now, in this place, she was damned if she even uttered a word that put her in a weak position. Here, in front of this man who has tortured and taken away more mutant and human life than she cared to know about, she had not only to be strong for herself and her child but also for the rest of her teammates, especially a still recovering Nightcrawler. Having had almost the whole of his backside peeled off, a large chunk of his calf muscle cut off by their previous captors, Kurt was in position to walk by himself, let alone put up a respectable fight….when they made a break for it.

‘And escape we will,’ Ororo gritted her teeth in anger and pain of feeling cramped after more than three hours in a prone position, her anger flaring up even more at the condescending voice that sounded just over her head.

“Well Ms. Monroe,” Sinister appeared, first at the periphery of her vision and then at the center as he came and stood next to her. “Congratulations on a healthy….child,” he deliberately avoided revealing the sex of the child.

If he hoped for a response other than the sneer that she gave him, Ororo did not know. As for herself, she practically bit down on her lower lip in an effort to stop from blurting out queries to know more about her current condition. She gave herself peace and hope that had there been complications, Sinister would have surely talked about seeing. If nothing else, the man was an A-grade blowhard who seemed to thrive on the self praise that he seemed to confer on himself.

“Don’t you want to know whether it’s a boy….or a girl,” the deliberate pause was to get Ororo riled up, as were the next words. “…or whether it’s a mutant…or human.”

Even though she did not answer, the way her head whipped around was enough to let the paled faced Sinister know that if not his earlier words, the last one had surely made a dent in the cold hard exterior that the weather witch put out as an armor.

“Hmm. Got your interest, have I?” Dull red eyes seemed to gain a cold glow. “But don’t worry dear, whatever the child’s species, I can easily give him whatever powers I want…or in case of a mutant, even enhance the already preexisting ones.”

“Don’t. You. Dare.” Ororo’s growl was eerily reminiscent of Logan, as she, not for the first time, balled her hands and pulled at the leather harness holding her in place on the flat metal surface. “You even harm one hair on my child’s head and I swear I WILL kill you. And I will enjoy it.”

“Sure my dear, whatever you say,” chuckled Sinister, not the least bit affected by Ororo’s outburst. Mentally commanding the other two people in the room, he instructed them to free her and escort her back to her holding cell, and bring the next subject. Even though his earlier plans had been made with the unborn progeny of Storm and Wolverine in mind, he was more than overjoyed with getting his hands on Rogue, possibly the most malleable canvas to work his artistry on.


For Ororo, what was equally if not more painful and scary than the prospect of this madman taking away and harming her child was seeing Logan, the man who was not only her teammate and friend, and possibly even a onetime romantic interest, but was also the father of the boy or girl she was going to give birth too. Even though they might have not had grown closer…close than they already were, close enough to possibly build a life together, never for a moment, not even when she was cursing him for what he was being made to do to her, Ororo wanted such a fate for Logan.

What pained her even more was whenever she saw him…looked into the pooling depths of his steel blue eyes, there was nothing in them. No recognition. None of the passion that used to shimmer in them. No anger. No nothing….no life. Nothing at all. All that there was left in them and within him, was the seemingly empty husk of a man, a man who after having suffered the way he had, gone through living hell, only to have his faltering and tentative efforts to rebuild a life for himself destroyed once again. Only this time, Ororo feared, that even Logan, the Wolverine…even he, with all of internal healing factor, his resilience, even he would not be able to recover from this.

“Logan.” She called out softly as her two guards, Logan and Madelyne escorted her back to her cell. “Logan.” She whispered again, getting no response other than a strong hand grasping at her arm to urge her forward.


“Hey. She’s back.” Sitting on watcher duty, Jubilee was the first one to catch sight of the three people appearing around the corner. Seeing Logan only made her scowl and flinch away in a mixture of anger and fear, all because of what he had done to her just a few hours ago when he was making the rounds for lunch…or whatever meal it was. Grabbing at his hand as he bent down to slide the food packages into her and Kitty’s cell, she had found herself pushed back…and knocked so hard that not only was the front of her ribcage, where his fist had landed, paining, her behind was also quite tender, and her free ankle, the right one, still having shooting pain spearing through it.

Coming to a stop at the most luxurious of all the cells, Madelyne unlocked and swung open the door, while Logan led Ororo inside, stopping only when she reached and sat down on the single mattress on concrete shelf bed. It was clear to her and the others that of all of them, it was Ororo, or rather her child that Sinister was most concerned about…hence the care that his minions showered on her.

---

Seconds later, a clang of the door slamming shut, the lock clicking into place, and the reverse sounds on another door announced to the others that it was Rogue’s turn to be next on the butcher’s block.

As for Rogue, whatever drugs that had been pumped into her system were strong enough so that even after fifteen hours she was still under its effects…or so everyone thought. One hand on her shoulder to turn her over and the southerner or rather the Wolverine now permanently residing inside her, lashed out, her fists and speed trying to make up the size and number disadvantage.

Had it been anyone else, Rogue nee Wolverine would have easy overcome them, even with there being two against her one. Had it been anyone else….

-SHUCKK-

The now familiar sound of claws escaping their sheaths echoed through the air, momentarily followed by a sick wet one of them tearing into skin and muscle as with a telltale roar exactly like the one from a time past, Rogue was stabbed, not only in her chest but also her stomach….her eyes widening in shock as she choked and coughed up blood.

“NOOOO!!” Kitty screamed at the horrific sight. “NOOOO.”

What she and almost all of her teammates with the exception of Henry whose location allowed to him to get a clear look at the Rogue, missed was one very important thing. Sputtering up blood as she hung weakly more than a foot in the air, Rogue had two sets of three claws sticking out from her back…

….two sets of bone and not metal claws.


Note: Yeah, finally managed to get one update done…even if its short one. Please Review!!





You must login () to review.