“….One for each year of his pathetic existence.”

“Logan…Logan…” Wolverine groaned as he gained consciousness, flailing his hand to clear the haze occupying his mind. The voice calling him was nearby but not near enough so that the speaker could touch him.
“Wolvie….wake up…” He knew that voice….Jubilee. He tried answer her, but the sound that came out was a sickly whimper.
“Logan….get up….” The second voice was… “’Rrrrroo….” he managed to form the word.
“Yes” her voice sounded hopeful. “He’s waking up” she called out to someone else.
The next instant there was an excited chatter of voices…..voices he knew.
“Logan” who was that? He knew the voice, but in his present state he was unable to match the sound to the person. Pulling his aching hand to his face, he realized the reason for that. He had no lips….they had been torn off during the beating he had suffered when….when? He had lost all track of time.
The last thing he remembered was Wraith cocking a gun at him and firing point blank into him.

----

“Ah the great Wolverine rises,” a cold voice called. With his senses dulled from the collar and his eyes swollen shut, Logan couldn’t make out where the voice was coming from. Trying to change his position to lie on his back or sit up, he found that his unable to do that either, his muscles cramped from prolonged fatigue.

-CLANK- A door opened….his door. Someone was coming near him. More than two people.
“Open him” the voice commanded. The next moment he felt four hands on him, turning him over onto his back. Then two of them reached to his neck. The next instant fresh waves of pain washed over his whole body. His healing factor was kicking in.
“It’s working” the voice…Wraith, said again. “Step outside.”
Soon he heard the door clamp shut again, its clanking sound followed by a cocking sound.
“NO” an echoing cry sounded as dozens of bullets entered his body, their momentum turning him sideways. The barrage continued for a minute, before a command to cease firing was given stopping the firing immediately.

His healing factor pushed to the limit, Logan felt himself going under, the last thing he remembered was the sound of sobbing and smell of tears.

----

“Uhmmm….” Logan groaned, his eyes fluttering open. His healing factor working at full steam had mended his body. The only things that were off were the intense hunger he was feeling, which was common after such a heavy ‘healing’ process. The second was the itching sensation the bullets embedded in his body were giving him.

Using his nose, he tried to take in his surroundings. The first thing he smelled was food. Whoever it was had provided him with food. Deciding against eating immediately, her continued his exploration. He was in a military base of sorts…an underground military base, the slightly stuffy air and the smell of explosives and bullets, mixed with human sweat told him as much. Probing further, he detected the faint smell of chemical and….*The Lab*. He was in another one of those.
Then he detected familiar smells….somebody familiar was near him – more than one person. Listening to their heartbeats, he detected three, two of them asleep.

Turning himself over to his stomach, he started crawling towards the food.

---

“Jubilee, Kitty, he’s awake” Ororo called to her young teammates. “Jubilee….Kitty….get up” there was an urgency in her voice. “Logan’s woken up.”
The two girls were shook themselves up and joined Storm, watching Logan crawl his way to the water and food left for him. It had been three days since they had dragged him into the cell across them. He was unconscious, with bullet wounds dotting his entire body, with parts of his face, chest and back missing.

Their captors seemed to know about him and had opened the collar for about thirty minutes, so as to allow the bullet wounds to close up. The next day when he had woken up for the first time, they had returned and after finally removing his collar, they had fired countless shots into his still recovering body. The three x-women had been afraid for his life, fearing that his healing factor would be over-taxed and lose the fight to keep him alive. However, they kept a lookout, content with seeing his body heal with each passing hour. They didn’t know how long had it been, but estimated it to be at least thirty six hours. They had had three feedings, with each feeding coming in at space of twelve hours.

As they looked on, Logan reached the food packages. There were six of them. Cornelius knew that once his healing factor completed its process, he would need to EAT. Pushing the food packages away, he pulled himself under the water tap and opened it, waiting for the water to quench his thirst.

---

“What is he doing?” questioned Kitty, watching Wolverine lie under the cold-water shower.
“Drinking water” Ororo answered with a smirk, her heart paining at the torture her teammate was going through. Compared to him, they were treated as if they were staying in a five star hotel. They were fed properly and given clean water to drink.

Having his fill, Logan pulled away from the tap and reached for the flat bench bed to help him stand up.

Standing up, he looked around his surroundings. His cell was a special one. Unlike the other cells, which had three sides closed, his was metal bars on all sides, leaving him open for continuous observation.
“What is he doing now?” this time it was Jubilee. Both Kitty and Jubilee were in the B-Team and although they had seen Wolverine in action in the danger room, they did not know about his actions. They were unnerved by his wary actions and looked towards Ororo for explanations.
“Ssshh…” Ororo silenced them. “Keep quiet.”

Taking a survey of the other cells, Logan pulled at his tattered uniform, tearing the leather jacket apart. His body had fully healed, with only slight bulges indicating the bullets still inside him.

----

“Wha…?” Kitty exclaimed as Wolverine popped one claws and pointed it towards one of the bulges.
“Keep quiet,” Ororo whispered sternly.

Digging into his body, he fished the first bulled out. As the slug came out, he caught it with his free hand and lifted it up to his eyes to study it. ‘Not a big one’ he thought, rubbing a gentle finger over the almost healed wound. Taking a deep breath, he started working on ridding himself of the rest of the redundant metal.
“Eeww…” Jubilee muttered, causing Wolverine to snap his head up, his claw sunk deep into his left arm.
“Grr…” Wolverine growled at her, causing her to clamp her mouth shut.

Finishing the *cleaning up*, Wolverine retracted his claw. He then set about cracking his joints, to get his movement going. Finally waking up, he stepped towards the food.
“Ro” Wolverine acknowledged his teammates presence. “How long?”
“You’ve been here for about three days,” she whispered knowing that he would be able to hear her. All the three females were fitted with collars similar to the one Wolverine was wearing earlier, effectively ending any chances of using their powers to escape.
“We…” she mentally calculated. “I guess we have been here for about five.”

“Anybody else?” he asked, biting huge chunks from his food rations.
“No” Ororo shook her head sadly, remembering her teammates, Professor Xavier, Jean, Scott, Rogue, Remy….Hank. Her heart hitched at the thought of the blue furred gentle giant.
Sensing her distress, Logan softened his usual gruff tone. “They’ll be fine. We’ll find them.”

“Yes we will,” Cornelius’s mocking voice rang out. ‘Shit’ thought Wolverine, he still wasn’t at peak strength and had missed the approaching asshole. “And when we do they too will serve us just as you.”
Moments later Cornelius came into their line of sight, Wraith accompanying him, followed by his usual contingent of soldiers.
“Fuck off” Wolverine growled at them, extending his claws to express his hatred of the doctor and his disfigured companion.

----

Shaking his head Cornelius extended his hand to the Wraith, “Please, subdue the animal.”
“With pleasure” with that Wraith stepped forward and started firing at Wolverine, causing him to fall over, his body still tired from his previous recovery. His female teammates biting their lips from avoid crying out again.
“Stop” Cornelius held up his hand. “That is enough.”

“Now Wolverine….” Cornelius grinned at the x-women before turning to a writhing Logan. “…about our plan.”

Please Review





You must login () to review.