Ororo’s face was disbelieving, not wanting to believe what she had just heard spill from her best friend’s lips. Giving truth to the lie. Shinobi was alive? No. Please, no.
Ali stood up, her long green tee shirt brushing her upper thighs. “Storm-” she began, her eyes wide with remorse and a touch of fear.
Ororo’s eyes flashed angry white. “He’s alive?” She strode into the room, slamming the door behind her with jarring force. The hinges creaked in protest and Ali jerked. Ororo crossed her arms, her mouth set in a grim line. “Start talking.”

Elsewhere

“Start talkin’, Red.” Wolverine stood in the lattice work archway of the Professor’s arboretum, his presence surprising Jean when she turned from the hybrid tree she was currently taking notes on.
Green eyes widened fractionally, but she held her composure well. “Excuse me?”
Wolverine stalked forward, his stride anything but casual. “Want me ta spell it out? What in the fuck did you and Alison do? And what does it have ta do with the weirdness going on now?”
Jean took a step back. “Wolverine…”
“Don’t try that tone with me, Jean. What the fuck did ya do?”
Jean clamped her jaw. “What we had to.”
“And what exactly was that?” he snarled, his tension and anger mounting exponentially to how long she drug her answers out.
Sensing this, Jean took a hasty step back. “Wolverine, calm down.”
-SNIKT- “I am calm.”

Loft

“Stormy, chere, calm down,” Gambit stood, wrapping the sheet from the bed around his lean waist, trying to head off the confrontation he saw brewing.
RRRRRRRRRRRRRUUUMMMMMMMMBBBBBBBBBBLLLLLLLLLLE!!
“I am calm.”
“Obviously.” Gambit rolled his red on black eyes.
Ali sighed heavily, rubbing her dark hair. “Rem, it’s fine. She has every right to be pissed.”
Gambit took in Storm’s volatile expression. “Non, I don’ t’ink pissed covers it, bebe. Stormy, be reasonable.” he said, trying his smooth placating tone.
Storm flashed him an annoyed look. “Reasonable, Gambit? The bastard that tried to rape me and had me mind-maniped for months is apparently alive and well, courtesy of my sister, my best friend, and I’m to be reasonable?!?”
KRAKKA-BOOM.
She turned back to Alison, her normally beautiful blue eyes still glazed white in her fury. “My first question is how? How is that rotten bastard still breathing? I watched Wolverine gut that sicko. I saw his insides spill out onto his tacky bedroom carpet, so how? How is he still alive?”

Arboretum

“His body was dead. Is dead,” Jean stated, answering Wolverine’s question as to how Shaw survived being gutted like a fish.. “But the night you killed him, there was a telepath in his house. Emma Frost. A blonde haired strumpet and Shinobi’s personal plaything.”
Wolverine said nothing, vaguely recalling the cloying scent of Dior all around the room when he had exploded through the door, scant seconds before Shaw violated his beautiful ‘Ro. At the time he had been too consumed with rage to pay much attention to it.
“She heard you come in. She heard screaming, and when Shinobi reached out to her with his mind in his last seconds of life, she latched onto him.” Jean ran both hands through her red hair. “She stripped his psyche from his body and absorbed it into her own mind.”
Wolverine grunted, acknowledging that he understood. “So this blonde bimbo absorbed Shaw?”
Jean nodded. “More or less, yes.”
“That still don’t explain what the hell you and Alison were doing gettin‘ mixed up with Shaw.”
“To save Storm.”
“Hank and Chuck did gene therapy on Storm.” Wolverine stated.
Jean exhaled. “Yes, and it was useless. She was too far gone for the treatment to do any good. If I could have done anything else, I would have, Wolverine. Believe that. But I had no choice. If Storm was to live, I had to…”
Wolverine’s eyes narrowed. “Had to what?”
“What does it matter. Shinobi himself had nothing to do with helping Storm. Sebastian Shaw provided the cure.”
“How very benevolent of him,” Wolverine snarled. “Where’s the catch?”

Loft

There was a long silence as Ororo digested the information Ali had just given her. “So you went to Sebastian Shaw?” Ororo asked, completely astounded.
Ali shook her head. “Yes. We did. Jean approached me with this plan...”
“Come again?”
“I know it’s hard to believe. I had a hard time believing it when she came to me with the idea, but it’s true. Sebastian Shaw is incredibly wealthy an powerful, and word on the street was that he was looking for a powerful psychic. The money he was offering was mind boggling. Jean knew she could take whatever job he had lined up.”
Ororo clenched her teeth. “She went to Sebastian for money?”
Ali shook her head. “No. For a cure, for you.”
“But why?”
“The therapy wasn’t working, Storm. You were dying. It was obvious.”
“Is dat why she got well so quick?” Gambit asked. “You bought some cure wit’ da money Shaw gave you?”
“We didn’t need the money. He had the cure.”
Ororo frowned. She had met Sebastian briefly. He didn‘t seem the humanitarian type. “What? How?”

Arboretum

“Shaw Industries Bio-lab created the virus that Storm was injected with. Sebastian Shaw has several contracts with the government, using his power and influence to keep the members of his Hellfire Club protected. He would naturally have the antibody needed to counteract the virus.” Jean was saying. “When I heard he was looking for a psychic, I approached him.”
“How?”
“Through Ali.”
“How does Alison come into play?”
“Alison’s family is very wealthy. They run in some of the same social circles as the Shaws. I thought maybe we could use her connections to make contact. I was right.”
Wolverine raised one brow. Ali was rich? “Then what?”
“We arranged a meeting.” Jean began to pace. “To discuss what he needed a telepath for.”
“I’m listening,” he prodded when she paused.
She gave him a pleading look. “Surely you can see where this is going?”
“I ain’t likin’ it,” he said flatly.
“Would you rather I let her die, Wolverine?” Jean demanded.
Wolverine growled. “Ya know damn well the answer ta that question. But what ya did, what you and Alison did, was open up a can o’ worms that we have ta deal with. And ta deal with it, I need ta know exactly what the fuck I’m dealin’ with!”
Jean winced at his feral tone. “Sebastian and Shinobi never saw eye to eye, but he was still his son and Sebastian wanted him back. Unfortunately Shinobi was trapped in Emma’s head.”
“So you peeled him out?”
“Yes.”
“And did what?”
“Put him in another body.”

Loft

Merde.” Gambit reached for his cigarettes.
Ororo felt the pressure in her chest building. “So, not only is he alive, but he’s walking around in a brand spanking new body?”
Ali ducked her head. “Yes.”
“Do you know what he looks like?”
“No. I never saw him.”
“Jean.” Ororo frowned. “Why would she do this?”
“For Wolverine.” Ali supplied. “He was devastated without you. We all were.”
Ororo softened a bit at that. “I know you did what you thought was right, Ali, but to bring Shinobi back…” she shuddered. “He’s dangerous.”
“He wasn’t supposed to be. Tessa, Xavier’s liaison, had convinced Sebastian of Shinobi’s duplicity and he had informed us that although Shinobi would be alive, he would be under control. Handled, so to speak.”
“And you believed him?”
“We had nothing to lose.” Ali defended.
“Alison.” Storm approached her friend. “We have everything to lose. Shinobi is clever, and cold, and calculating. It is painfully obvious he has his twisted little mind set on revenge.”
“I know. I see that now,” Ali nodded. “I swear, Storm, all I wanted was to save you. I didn’t give a shit about the consequences. I love you, and you were dying.” Ali’s lips quivered. “I would do it again.” She lifted her chin defiantly.
Ororo sighed. She knew Ali’s heart was in the right place. But the consequences…
“Well, if ’e is bein’ kept under control, den ’ow did ’e send da ’eart?”
Ali grimaced. “We’ve tried to reach Sebastian and Tessa to no avail. It’s safe to assume they aren’t going to be getting back to us.”
“Why not?” Gambit asked.
“They’re dead.” Wolverine said from the door, Jean beside him.
Ororo turned to her husband, relief reflected in the blue depths of her gaze. She was afraid, and loathe to admit it, but he could feel it. Shinobi had invaded her mind, violated her body and made her doubt herself. Wolverine opened his arms and Ororo stepped into their protective circle, laying her head on his shoulder.
Jean and Ali exchanged long looks, neither speaking. The exchange didn’t go unnoticed by Gambit.
“What is it?” he asked, taking Ali’s hand in his and bringing her fingers to his lips.
Ali’s eyes watered at his tender affection. “I never saw the body Jean put Shinobi into. But it wouldn’t have mattered if I had.”
“Why’s dat?”
“It was a shifter.” Ali stated flatly.
“Jesus Christ,” Wolverine growled. “Ya couldn’t have put him in a normal body? Ya had ta stick him in a mutant, and a fuckin’ shape shifter at that. Priceless, Jeannie.”
Jean glared at him. “It’s not like I got to choose the damn body, Wolverine.”
“Stop.” Ororo said quietly. “It’s done. It can’t be undone.” She kissed Wolverine’s cheek before turning to Jean and Ali. “Thank you both.”
Mouths drooped open in stunned silence.
“I appreciate what you did, don’t for one moment believe I don’t, because I do. However, you both kept this hidden from all of us. This secret deed that you did. In doing so you left us vulnerable to attack.”
“We know now who we’re dealin’ wit’.” Gambit said. “No need ta panic. We jus’ take ‘im out, but for good dis time.”
One corner of Wolverine‘s mouth quirked up. “I like the way you think.”
Gambit shrugged one muscled shoulder. “What can I say? You be rubbin’ off on dis Cajun, non.”
Some of the tension eased from the room.
“So. Now what?” Ali asked.
“Now, we leave so Gumbo can put on some pants. Then we go see Xavier.”

Headmaster’s office

“Chuck?” Wolverine pushed on the partially opened door. The office looked ransacked, the desk flipped over, papers strewn everywhere. -SNIKT- “Stay back,” he said over his shoulder to the three others in the hall. He sniffed the room, picking up several scents, and not being familiar with the entire student body he couldn’t discern which one didn’t belong.
He circled the room. No sign of the Professor. “Jean, see if ya can get a hold of Wheels.” He stepped from the room back into the hall, retracting and grabbing Storm’s hand.
“What’s up?” Alison asked. She tried to see past him.
He shook his head, waiting for Jean.
*Professor?*
*Yes, Jean.*
*Where are you?*
*With Scott. We are in the lower science lab. Why?*

“He’s with Scott,” she told Wolverine.
“Is he sure it’s Scott?” Ali asked, getting the idea that Wolverine was reluctant to voice.
“He’s the most powerful telepath on the planet, Dazzler. Yeah, I think he knows,” Jean said.
*Jean? What is the matter?* Xavier repeated.
She looked at Wolverine, who nodded. *We think Shinobi Shaw is in the mansion.*
*…*
*Professor?*
Jean was hesitant, sensing the disapproval in his mind.
*I feared as much.*
*We’re sorry, Professor-*
*Yes, Jean. I know. We will deal with a proper punishment later. Now we must deal with this new threat.*

Wolverine tensed and Ororo followed his steely gaze.
“Hey, Storm.” Warren’s golden head bobbed around the corner and he was waltzing down the corridor, a dozen roses in his arms and a gold box on hand. “These just came for you.”
Ororo felt her hands go clammy, her fingers tingling. She tried to pull free of Wolverine’s grasp, but he squeezed her hand, holding her firm.
He nodded to the younger mutant. “Set it on the floor, Boy, and leave.”
Warren looked confused.
“Just do it, War,” Ali said softly.
“Ok.” Warren placed the flowers and box on the floor and backed away from the four of them, watching them all like they’d grown second heads.
Wolverine bent and picked up the genuine gold box. It was engraved with Egyptian symbols and had a very elaborate looking lock.
With trembling fingers Ororo reached into her hair, pulling free the solitary bobby pin she wore behind her left ear. She gestured for the box.
“Darlin’…”
“Wolverine. The box,” she said flatly.
He handed it to her reluctantly. Ororo slid the in through the small opening and within seconds she heard a faint click as the lock gave. Wolverine took the box back, opening it. Inside lay the preserved remains of Shinobi Shaw’s castrated dick.
“Are you fucking kidding me?” Ali gasped on a gag.
Jean turned away, holding her mouth.
Gambit smirked. “Well, least we know why da man’s so pissed off all da time.”
Ororo looked at Logan. “The card?”
He shook his head. None.
Ororo glanced at the flowers on the floor. Without a word she picked them up, unfurling the tissue paper and sending red roses and maggots spilling onto the marble floor. She sifted through the leaves and bugs, looking for his card. There was always a card. Where was the damn card?!? She was frantic.
“’Ro.” Wolverine touched her shoulder. “Baby.”
“There’s always a card.” she said breathlessly. “Where is it?” She tossed petals aside. “Where?”
“Stormy,” Gambit was worried. He’d never seen Storm so agitated.
Wolverine pulled her from the floor, turning her in his arms. “Darlin’. Stop. Just breathe.”
Ororo shuddered. “He’s dead. He’s supposed to be dead.”
“Sshh. He can’t hurt ya, babe. I won’t let him.”
Ororo nodded, her eyes glittering with determination. She was with Logan and together they could do anything. She stepped away from him and smiled reassuringly.
*BAMF*
“Hey.” Kitty greeted. She glanced at the four very tense people in front of her. “Is everything all right?”
“No!” they said in unison.
“Ok.” Kitty backed into Kurt, who wrapped his arm across her shoulders protectively.
Ororo raised one silver brow at the pair, a sudden fear clawing at her gut. “Where’s Chance?”
Kitty shrugged. “Jubes wanted to take him for a walk.”
Storm tensed, her breath hitching and labored. “Was Bobby with her?”
Kitty shook her head. “No, why?”
Ororo rushed forward and roughly grabbed Kurt by the front of his shirt. “Bamf me NOW!!!
*BAMF*
“Storm!” Wolverine reached for her, but his fingers only closed on the faint cloud of brimstone left behind by Nightcrawler’s teleportation. “SONUVABITCH!!” He took off down the corridor, Gambit and Ali hot on his heels.
Kitty looked at Jean. “What the hell was that all about?”
Jean simply closed her eyes, tears coursing down her pale cheeks. “Dear, God, no…”

Boathouse

*BAMF*
“Leave.” Ororo ordered the second they touched ground. “Now. Get Wolverine.”
“Be careful, fraulin.” *BAMF*
“Where are you, you bastard?” Ororo asked, looking around the white landscape. A flutter of paper on her front door caught her attention. She stumbled up the step in her haste, ripping the posted letter from the door.

Storm, or do you prefer Ororo?
I prefer Mystery. Leaves something to the imagination, doesn’t it?
You and that worthless mongrel you let rut between your thighs took away my chance for having a son of my own. Now I have taken yours. There is a karma to life, Mystery. A beautiful balance. You took away my future and now I have returned the favor. All you had to do was be mine and none of this need to have happened. Think of all the pain you could have prevented. He could have been our son. But, alas you turned out to be no more than a stupid whore, unworthy to be my queen. Even as I write these harsh words, my foolish love for you will not die. Life can be so tragic. Goodbye, Mystery. Say farewell to your heart.

The screaming was relentless and heartbreaking.
Wolverine crested the snow covered hill, racing down the slope towards his home when the most awful scream he’d ever heard filled the sky, echoing in the clouds, thunder booming so loud it was deafening, but still he heard the scream.
“’RO!”
Lightening slammed into the snow, sending plumes of white fluff fifty feet in the air. Winds swirled and thunder growled. The sky was a black cauldron of violence and power. Trees were being sucked from the ground, torn up by their roots, spinning in the cyclone roaring a mother’s agony overhead. Boards rattled and the side of the boathouse tore loose, tumbling across the ground, nearly taking Wolverine in the head.
“ORORO!” He could make out her kneeling, screaming form, but couldn’t get to her, the winds pushing him back. He grunted as a tree limb sent him backwards. Snow and sleet lashed his face, drawing blood, the temperature dropping to dangerous lows. Ice was forming along Storm‘s face and shoulders, thick layers, caking her. “Storm!!” He dug his claws into the snow, crawling his way to her, his stomach scraping ice and rocks the closer he got to her. “Storm! Baby, stop!”
Ororo blinked, her scream dying into a hoarse croak. Everything stopped. Trees and debris fell to the earth. She looked at him and Wolverine wanted to die. That fucking bastard had done it. She was broken.
“Baby.” He made his way to her. “Show me.” His heart hammered. God, could he face seeing the body of his son? Could he handle that?
Ororo held out a crumpled piece of paper.
Wolverine read it twice, the beast inside brutally pushing it’s way to the surface, and only one thought kept it at bay. Chance was alive. Somewhere, Chance was alive. He dropped to his wife’s side, pulling her into his shaking arms. “We’ll get him back, ‘Ro. I swear.”
Ororo sobbed into his neck. “My fault. All my fault.”
“No, darlin’. This sick fuck is ta blame. Don’t ya ever forget that. Not you, ‘Ro. Never you.”
Ororo gripped his leather jacket tightly. “…Make him suffer.” she whispered.
Logan tilted her face. “What?”
She wiped her eyes, her deep sapphire chilling to ice blue. “We will make him suffer.”
“That’s my girl.”





You must login () to review.