Finally….

The time had come. They were all revealed and brought into the open.

‘The Mutant Problem’, ‘The Mutant Menace’, ‘Friend or Hidden Enemy’.

That’s what the papers called them

------

Everything had changed.

Friends and family. School. College. Shopping Mall. Just the plain simple road.

Going anywhere had become an expedition. One requiring planning and….courage.

------

“What will happen now?” she asked in a rare moment of weakness.
“Nothin’,” he stood next to her, leaning against the newly rebuilt balcony. “We rebuilt, we restart and go forth again. Only now, we have ta take care…more precautions, be more cautious.”

“I know,” she nodded her head, her eyes staring out into the open grounds. “I meant what about them? Some of them lost family, their own parents turning away from them. Others left their families. All for the same reason, wanting to protect the others, ‘normal’ humans around them. Someone’s younger brother, sister, grandparents, mother…..father….” her voice cracked as she remembered her own.

------

“Can’t do nothin’ ‘bout that, ‘cept….” he answered evenly. “….Keep on doing what we’re doing earlier, and hope everythin’ works out.”

“Hope for the best while expecting the worst,” she gave a rueful chuckle.
“Hmmm,” he nodded his head. “Maybe….expect the worst, while striving fer the best.”

“Logan,” she turned sideways to face him. “We should have a back up now. In case something like this happens again.”
“Darlin’, it ain’t a question of ‘IF’,” he straightened up, his hands still grasping at the ornate railing. “It’s a question of ‘WHEN’. There’ll always be human freaks wantin’ ta take us mutant freaks out. All the purity of the human race and all that bullshit.”

----

“So what do you suggest?” her voice was all business.
“Ya tell me,” his right brow arches. “Seems like ya got a plan brewing in the lovely head o’yers.”

“We should have a safe house, safe place rather,” she starts explaining. “Somewhere we can go incase….or as you say, when things get dangerous for us here.”
“Hmmm,” he rubs his chin, mulling over her words. “Gotta be outside the country. Got any specific place in yer mind?”

“Yes,” she nods and smiles at him. “Canada.”
“Canada?” he seems both intrigued and pleased. “Why Canada?”

-----

“It was a choice between Mexico and Canada. Canada is nearer,” she explains. “And…”
“And…” he is really intrigued now.

“You know Canada. You can help us move around and find a safe hiding place,” a rare smile breaks his unemotional exterior. “Besides none of us knows how to speak or read Spanish.”
“Hmmm,” he grins at her second reason. “Ya really thought this through, didn’tcha.”

“Yes,” she turns back to the students, working together to rebuild their house. “We made a pledge to help them learn control of their powers and assist and guide in their growth….in every way we can. That includes keeping them safe.”

-----

“Don’t worry ‘Ro,” his hands reaches and handles hers. “We’ll do it. I have a place that will work just fine. Gotta fix it up ta make space fer so many kids, but its remote an’ its safe.”
“We should talk to Charles about it then,” She starts towards the door.

“Not yet,” he follows her and closes the balcony door behind them, providing them privacy….just the two of them. “Not now.”
“Wha….” She catches sight of the growing wildness in his eyes. He has been holding back and needs emotional relief of his own. “Ok, not now, but soon.”

“Soon,” he draws her closer and hugs her, enjoying her calming presence all around him. ‘Soon…’ he starts silently, his mind visualizing the perfect ring for her.

“Soon we’ll have a small family of our own.”


Note: Covers the time between the last two episodes of season two and the four episodes of season three.
Season 2 (Day of Reckoning 1 and 2). Season 3 (Day of Recovery, The Stuff of Heroes, Mainstream, Stuff of Villains)

Please Review!!





You must login () to review.