‘The closest thing you have to a family’

‘The closest thing you have to a family’

‘Closest….thing…family’

….FAMILY

-----

MY family

He is alone, on the mansion roof, the burnt out cigar long forgotten.

He is thinking of the girl who got away.

The girl he *sent* away.

To protect her. To save her.

Should have….

-----

“Penny for your thoughts,” a soft voice descends from above.
“They’re worthless….usually…” he turns up to her. “Ya should be in bed.”

“Couldn’t sleep,” she lands and come alongside him. “Guess had enough today in the evening.”
“She hurt ya?” he offers a hand to help her to sit.

“Only my pride,” she gracious accepts, holding onto it in her lap.
“Sorry, fer that,” he apologizes for the girl…and for himself.

“Sorry? Why?” she leans against his shoulder, her fingers tracing the space between his knuckles. The space from where his claws comes out.

-----

She thought he was the only one with claws like that….unique.

Not anymore. There is another.

She knows that because she had seen it with her own eyes.

Just like him.

Well almost…

------

There are differences.

For one, the other is a female…a girl.

Her claws, though just like his, are shorter and fewer….her thinner forearms having space for only two.

She is younger….merely a child, while he…..his age is unknown.

----

However, through all the differences….there are similarities.

To start with, they share the same genetic code…..truly two of a kind.

She is not just like him….she is of him.

Just like him…..she has suffered.

Just like him….she has anger.

….and just like him…she wants to belong.

She wants a family to call her own.

She wants to be a person….and not just another weapon.

----

“Fer not being there,” he breaks her thoughts, his hand grasping hers tightly, showing emotions he otherwise doesn’t know how to express. “Fer what she did ta ya…..all of ya.”

“Logan,” she turns and kisses his gently shoulder, knowing that it will get through to him. “You cannot be everywhere at the same time. As for what she did, you shouln’t blame yourself for it…..and not her either.”
“I don’t blame her,” his voice carries conviction. “She’s just a kid. I blame those who made her like this. Those you did this to her.”

“And you feel you are one of them,” she voices his unspoken thoughts.
“Yes,” his head lowers to his chest.

“Because she carries your DNA,” the weather goddess probes further, slowing bring out his thoughts….his doubts….his regrets.
“Yes,” he sigh is of defeat…..defeat and anger. Both feelings for not being able to stop this from happening….again.

-----

It happened to him….and now it happened to her. The testing, the training, the experimentation…..the metal.

The METAL.

-SNIKT-

The claws comes out. A searing pain announcing their presence.

The pain, its always there. Every time they come out….every time they go back in. Always.

Then there are the nightmares…..lets not forget them.

Hers are different from his, but just as horrific, just as painful. That he knows for sure.

Should have….

-----

“You are worried about her,” the friend is speaking now, the lover taking a back seat tonight.
“Yeah,” the head nods, his eyes examining the claws glinting in the night.

“You feel that you failed her,” her perceptiveness doesn’t surprise him.
“Yeah,” he pulls the claws back in.

-----

Should have…

‘Should have, what?’ he asks himself.

Stopped this from happening….too late for that.

Killed those fuckers….they’re long gone.

Should have….

----

“You have a familial feeling towards her,” he finally lifts his head and looks up at her.
“Yeah,” he sighs. “Told her that…told her that.”

“Now you feel that you shouldn’t have let her go. That you have done more to help her.”
“Yes,” he nods his head. “No. Both.”

“Both?” Its her turn to be surprised now.
“Hmmm,” he breathes in deep, his senses already saturated, filled with her. “She needs ta be out in the world before she can find a place to call her own. Shoulda gone with her. Kept her safe.”

----

“So why didn’t you?” her question is simple, yet complicated.
“Had ta deal with S.H.I.E.L.D. and Fury,” he goes for the easier explanation. “And…”

“And…” she senses the real reason coming out now.
“She needed ta do this alone,” he speaks from experience. “She needs to find herself.”

“Just like you did,” her lips curve up in a smile.
“Yup, you can say that,” his head and heart feel lighter.

“But still you worry about her,” she repeats her words.
“Yeah,” he smirks and shakes his head. “Guess I’m goin’ soft.”

“No, you want someone to call your own. Your own family,” she knows the importance of family, having lost most of her own.

He doesn’t speak, his silence confirming her words.

----

“Don’t worry….so much,” she consoles him, bolstering his hope. “She will come back, I am sure of it.”
“How can ya be…?” He wonders at her confidence.

“She WILL come back,” she restates for him. “Because, she also wants to belong.”

“She wants a FAMILY to call her own.”


Note: Episode guide: Season 3 (X23), hints of Season 4 (Target X)

Please Review!!





You must login () to review.