“Hey, half pint,” he flops next to the young girl. “Why the long face?”
“She is not talking.” The elf answers for her. “Maybe a kitty got this kitty’s tongue. Owww,” he winces at the tight pinch on his upper arm.

“Beat if elf,” he growls at the teenager, causing him to *BAMF* off instantly. “So Kitty-Kat, what’s yer problem?” he asks again.
“Nothing Mr. Logan,” she whispers.

He knows the cause of her being ‘down’ and doesn’t bother correcting her to drop the Mr. He had stopped doing that. She doesn’t seem to get over it and he has started liking it.
“Nothin’ huhn,” he leans back on the bench, his cowboy hat shading him from the setting sun. “So ya just come ‘ere for time pass huh.”
‘No,’ she silently shakes her head, correctly herself mid shake to a nod.

“Miss yer family,” he asks bluntly, his perceptiveness stunning her. “Don’t look at me,” he grins and points over her shoulder. “I am as dumb as they come. Its that lady there who told me about it and explained it.”
“Oh,” she looks back to the white haired beauty kneeling in her garden, lovingly tending to her lily blossoms.

“So, is she correct?” he asks her, his gaze still lingering over the living goddess.
“Hmmmm ummmm,” she nods her head. “I feel lost here sometimes.”
“Well, if ya would use the doors like the rest of us instead o’ walking through the walls, maybe ya wouldn’t,” his jokes in a successful effort to bring a smile to her face, a slight twinkle in her large brown eyes.

----

“Listen kid,” he takes a deep breath. “I can’t say that I know yer situation. I don’t remember jack about my own family, although I am sure that I had one, hell knows how long ago. But I do know a couple of things that maybe ya kin use.”
“What?” her eyes look up at him, wonder and hope clear in them.

“Yer lucky that yer ma n’ pa understand yer situation and still care fer ya,” she smiles at his words, nodding her head.
“And….”

“And, even though the bunch o’ misfits in this place aren’t yer real family, they care about ya and want ya….need ya t’ accept them too and become a part of this frwaky family.”
She nods her head, feeling the sense of loneliness withdraw a little.

This is the most comfortable she has felt every since she came here, and with the man who scared her the most…at first.

Oh, he still scares her, but now there is something more.

Now she sees the man beneath all the indestructible metal, all the growls and grunts.

----

“See, we got a complete carnival here,” he cuts into her thoughts. “Chuck is the family head, like the ol’ grandpa. His word is the law, which we follow….all the while tryin’ t’ find loop holes in it.”
“Hehehehehe,” she giggles at his comparison.

“Jeannie and Scott are like yer older kins, ones who ya will look up to and follow. So its their responsibility t’ set a good example yer ya. Just as we set fer them.”
“Kurt and me?” she asks with interest, feeling real at ease.

“The elf is the family clown,” he shakes his head as the mental picture of the blue-skinned boy cartwheels through his head. “An’ ya are the family pet. Loved and cared by all.”
She lowers her head and blushes at his comparison, raising it seconds later. “Ororo?”

“’Ro,” his gaze search for the resident mother. “She is a mother fer all of ya…and sometimes even fer us,” he ends peacefully.

“Guess that makes you the dad, huh,” she wiggles her brows.
“Na,” he flips his hand. “Me…I’m more like the wayward n’ wild uncle. The one who gets into more trouble than the kids.”

His words cause her to break into another fit of giggles and small laughs.

----

“Thank you Mr. Logan,” she rises up and hugs him.
“What fer kid?” he tentatively returns her hug, his eyes finally catching sight of the one he searches for.

“For everything,” she straightens up.
“Na,” he waves her away. “No need ta thank me. We’re all family ‘ere. Now get going. Dontcha have ta do yer homework or somethin’.”

“Oh yes. I forgot about that,” she slaps her head, turning to run away. “See you at dinner.”

----

“That went well,” she smiles as he comes to stand alongside her, his knee slightly touching the side of hers.
“All thanks ta ya,” his fingers come to caress the plant she is tending now, gently moving from the green leaves to her smooth hand and up along her mocha colored skin.

“So you are the uncle huh,” she smirks at him, enjoying the feeling of his rough thick fingers on her skin, a fire burning in their wake.
“Guess so,” he nods. “But yer the mother.”

“Mother,” the word just flows off her tongue as she reminisces about her own.
“Yup,” he comes closer to whisper in her ear. “Ya will make a great mother someday.”

“How can you be sure?” she turns towards him, their breaths mixing.
“Trust me,” he bends to kiss her shoulder, his senses at attention for any intrusion. “I know it.”

“Do you,” she moans lightly.
“Yeah,” he lifts his lips to hers. “Ya will make a great mother someday….” He repeats, silently adding.

'….a great mother to our kids.'


Note: Reviewing is Mandatory!!!....Please!!





You must login () to review.