** ** indicates telepathic communication.
‘ ’ indicates thought
“ ” indicates spoken words


“Ready for a night on the town?” He wiggles his eyebrows at her, trying his level best to lift her spirits. He knows she is worried, not only because of the suspension, or of her stalled relations with the young student who has had a thing for both of them, but also because of the newcomer, the man they call Wolverine.

A smile does curve her lips, but it doesn’t reach her eyes. “Sure, why not.”

“Come on Ororo,” he places a more than friendly hand at the small of her back. “I know you are worried about the meeting tomorrow, but that’s when it is – tomorrow. Tonight, you are going to forget all of that and enjoy yourself.”

“I guess….” She sighs and smiles in defeat, allowing him to lead her to the front door, her words lost as soon as they step out.

That is when the unmistakable whiff of cigar smoke hits her. There is only one person who carries that odor.

“Ororo?” Her date’s voice is soft with concern, which is reflected clearly in his blue eyes. “Is something wrong? Did you forget something?”

“N-No,” the headshake causes a tendril of snow-white hair to fall free from her hair-do. “Nothing,” she answers rigidly.

“Nothing important.”

------

“You son of a bitch,” Ororo stopped at the shrill cry.
“Kid,” that growl was unmistakable, as was the southern drawl that had preceded it.

“Youah gonna leave again,” Rogue sounded livid. Had Ororo been able to see her, she wound have seen that she looked the same.
“I’ve gotta,” Logan’s voice had a defeatist tone that Ororo had only heard once before, with her.

‘If he wants to leave, let him,’ she steeled herself. She had spent enough time battling herself and had reached the conclusion, that the fault was not entirely her own. In fact, her part in it wasn’t comparable to what Logan did. Even if they weren’t together, and she was stringing him along, which she still wasn’t sure she was, it gave him no right to do what he did. Did it?

‘Shut up,’ she scolded her conscience. ‘Don’t go there again.’

“You’ve gotta?” Once again her attention was drawn to the conversation on the other side of the door. “You’ve gotta do dick.”
“Marie,” Logan’s growl carried a warning.

“Whaht? Language,” Rogue sneered at him. “Well fuck you sugah. This is all yers. I’ve got yer speech, yer mannerisms and also yer memories. So don’t give me this shit about I’ve gotta. I know everything that you did and Ah also know about that ring that you’ve got tied to the inside of your jacket pocket.”

‘Ring?’ Ororo’s breath hitched at the revelation.


-----

“Ororo, Ororo,” Davis’s voice spears through her musings. “Hello, earth to Ororo.”
“Yes Davis,” she grants him one of her made up smiles. “Did you say something?”

“Yes, I asked what did you want to order.” It is then that she notices the white and black clad waiter standing next to her, his pen and notepad in either hand.

“Oh, sorry,” another smile of apology. “Just give me a minute.”

Lifting the menu, her eyes rove to land on the first vegetarian dish she can find. She orders that the first mock-tail from the impressive list.

“Thank you mam,’ the young man gives one of his tested and perfected grins and leaves.

“So, what were you thinking now?” He truly seems interested in her, and had it been any other time, she would have told him what she had on her mind…..any other time.

“Oh, nothing,” she knows how to handle the situation. “Just going over the class schedule for tomorrow.”
“Okay,” he doesn’t sound convinced.

“Yes,” she brings out her trump card. “With Emma being out of commission, I’ve taken over quite a few of her classes, and have to plan carefully so that they don’t clash with mine or someone else’s.’

“Hmmm,” that does the trick. “I know what you mean. Jean has taken up from Scott and yesterday her and my class timings got mixed up.”

“Maybe you should do some thinking of your own,” she retorts with a false twinkle in her lazuline eyes.

“Surrrree!”

------

“At least tell her,” Rogue’s voice dropped to an urge. “Talk to her.”
“This is got nothing to do with her,” Logan snapped at her, regretting it the next instant. “No one’s got to do anything with it.”

“Ah know you still….” The girl’s words trailed off at the darkness in her mentor’s eyes.
“Don’t,” there was a sense of foreboding in the growl, as well as pain. “Don’t say it Marie.”

“Or what? You’ll gut me,” Ororo wanted to hear what it was, yet there was something in her that egged her to run away as far as her feet would carry her…either that, or throw open the doors and confront him head on.

‘But he has been avoiding you,’ this was a new one. ‘Good for you,’ it added.
‘Yeah, real good,’ her opponent piped up. ‘Makes it easier for you to avoid him.’

‘What’s so bad in that,’ the first voice returned. ‘He ran away, made his choice. You dealt with it and moved on. Now let him do what he wants. Its none of your concern.’

‘That’s the problem sweetie. You didn’t deal with it, you just put it away, placing it in the review at a later date file cabinet,’ she was really getting frustrated with that infernal conscience.

“She’s happy kid,” the heavy thump told her that someone had flopped down on the comforter, and given the sound, she knew it was him.

“An’ you?”


-------

“Sorry for forcing you tonight,” she almost misses the apologies, so much is she lost in her thoughts.
“Sorry?” ‘What is he sorry about?’ she thinks, wondering if she missed something he said earlier.

“Yes,” his arms go around her, gently nudging her towards himself. “I thought that getting away from the school and everything that has happened in the last few days will do you good, but I was mistaken. You didn’t really get away. You just took it along with you.”
“I-I am sorry Davis,” her apology is a stuttered one. She’s just caught the strike of a match in the distance, on the outskirts of the mansion woods.

“Its alright,” he leans in to kiss her, improvising easily when the slight tilt of her head tells him not to. He settles for a peck at her chocolate colored cheeks. “Want me to escort you to your room?”

She sees the mischief in his eyes, but also hears the seriousness in the tone. He wants to take their relationship to the next step.

‘Why not?’ The doppelganger of her pro-Logan conscience points out. ‘After all, you two have been official for quite some time now. You have moved up from the colleague-cum-friend status. Maybe its time to take it further to lovers?’

“Not tonight,” she lets her hand caress his smooth-shaved jaw, flinching internally when the thought that its not whiskered, crosses her mind.

“’k,” this time he does rub his lips against hers. “Just think about what I said tonight.”

“I will,” she nods her head and rises to her room.

-----

“I’m fine kid,” his voice stamped a lie all over his words.
“Sure ya are,” the return tone was sarcastic. “Thaht’s why ya haven’t seen her since the tahme ya got up.”

“I’ve been busy,” another lie.
“Bull.”
“Marie!” This time the admonishment had no real feel or force behind it.

“Yer gonna lose her,” it was spoken as a warning.
“Never had her,” even without wanting those words struck at Ororo.

“Isn’t that the truth? He never had you,’ her internal battle continued. ‘You didn’t give him a chance.’
‘Good for you,’ the opposition had grown strong since the time she had begun to explore the past. ‘And don’t falter now. You did nothing wrong. In fact you saved yourself from a second heartache.’

‘Did you?’ Was the last thing her conscience said as it faded from view. It had said all it wanted to say.

‘Did I?’ This time it was just her, no more voices. “Did I save myself from a heartache. Did I really? Or did I just procrastinate it?’

“You’ve gotta tell her,” Rogue’s voice carried a warning. “Or Ah will.”
“Cherie don’t,” the familiar third voice shocked Ororo.

‘Remy?’ All this was happening in front of Remy.

“Do whatever you wanna do,” Logan scoffed at the duo. “I don’t give a shit about anyone but myself.”
“Yah, then ya shoulda let me die,” Rogue shot back.

“What I should’ve done *Rogue*, is left you the first time I met you,” the growl had gone all Wolverine. “Then I wouldn’t have come to this shithole.”
“Then you would have stayed alone like you are right now,” the girl spoke through tears, her shoulders grasped by her supportive lover. He had called her Rogue. He never called her Rogue. He was pushing her away.

“Yeah, well, it would have been better than this hell. Fuck, those labs would have been better than this.”
Rogue, Remy, Ororo, all three gasped at his words.

“Come on homme, you don’ mean that,” the Cajun tried to mediate.
“I do,” Logan pushed past him. “Having no memory is better than remembering what I did. What I am.”


-----

*What I am*

‘What did he mean by that?’ her brow creases in confusion.

‘Why do you care?’ Its back, its tone reproachful.
‘Yes, why do you?’ Speaks up the opposition. ‘You have your own life. A man who loves you….likes you, and whom like back. And, he hasn’t been with any of your friends; especially not while claiming to be wooing you.’

That silences the conscience, its morals telling it that the other voice does have a point. Inspite of all his claims and his behavior with her, he did bed Jean, and not just once.

‘And he said it was worth it. Don’t forget that,’ the anti-*pro-Logan* voice is on a roll now. ‘So, was he just passing his time with you, while getting what…who he really wanted?’

‘Talk to him,’ the weakened pro-Logan part is all but beaten now. ‘You didn’t then. Do it now. Ask for an explanation.’
‘What purpose will that serve?’ her question is for both sides, and like a perfectly orchestrated act, both voices reply simultaneously.

‘It will provide you closure.’


Note: What was I thinking? Don’t even know myself. Just rattled off whatever came up. Don’t know if even half of this makes any sense.

Please review and let me know!!

Also, hope all you Logan bashing *w*itches are happy now!! Reading your reviews, one would think that it was me who slept with Jean and not him. You really have the whips, bats and whatnots out for this one!! ::Grinning and running away::





You must login () to review.